Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Mavridou Ifigeneia, born in Thessaloniki, Greece, is a Research Engineer (EngD) in Virtual Reality and Affective HCI, at the Centre of Digital Entertainment, Bournemouth University, funded by the EPSRC. She is currently collaborating with Emteq Ltd., in Brighton. For this multidisciplinary research, she is working under the supervision of Dr. Emili Balaguer-Ballester, Dr. Alain Renaud, Dr. Anna Troisi and Dr. Ellen Seiss from Bournemouth University, and Dr. Charles Nduka from Emteq.
In the past, she successfully graduated from both MFA in Virtual Reality and Multiuser Systems (Paris 8 & Athens School of Fine Arts) and the MFA in Visual and Applied Arts (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki). Her Thesis was focused on the creative human-computer interaction through the user's emotional states, using the Emotiv Epoc headset (EEG based). Back in 2005, she was given the chance to study at the age of 15 Fine and Applied Arts at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, rendering her one the youngest students attending the University... She has participated in more than 20 new media art exhibitions in Greece and Europe and since 2014 she has attended many VR / HCI conferences.more
Her research interests focus on creative projects combining of New Media and Virtual Reality techniques to explore the Emotion in Human Computer Interaction. Currently, she is interested in the reliable identification of features evoking Emotional states to users in Virtual Reality Environments. Emotional stimulation is related to Presence and Addiction, factors that can assist in the creation of immersive experiences as well as in the optimal content design of a VR product in terms of re-playability.
- Mavridou, I., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Nduka, C. and Seiss, E., 2023. A reliable and robust online validation method for creating a novel 3D Affective Virtual Environment and Event Library (AVEL). PLoS ONE, 18 (4 April).
- Broulidakis, M.J., Mavridou, I. et al., 2023. Optomyography-based sensing of facial expression derived arousal and valence in adults with depression. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 14.
- Lou, J., Wang, Y., Nduka, C., Hamedi, M., Mavridou, I., Wang, F.Y. and Yu, H., 2020. Realistic Facial Expression Reconstruction for VR HMD Users. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 22 (3), 730-743.
- Simeone, A.L., Mavridou, I. and Powell, W., 2017. Altering User Movement Behaviour in Virtual Environments. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 23 (4), 1312-1321.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Kostoulas, T., Nduka, C. and Balaguer-Ballester, E., 2018. Towards an effecve arousal detecon system for virtual reality.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Hamedi, M., Balaguer-Ballester, E.M.I.L.I. and Nduka, C., 2018. Towards valence detection from EMG for Virtual Reality applications. ICDVRAT.
- Gjoreski, H. et al., 2023. OCOsense Glasses - Monitoring Facial Gestures and Expressions for Augmented Human-Computer Interaction: OCOsense Glasses for Monitoring Facial Gestures and Expressions. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings.
- Mavridou, I., Archer, J.A.W., Cleal, A., Fatoorechi, M., Stankoski, S., Kiprijanovska, I., Broulidakis, J., Gjoreski, M., Nduka, C. and Gjoreski, H., 2022. OCOsense Glasses for Facial Expressions Recognition and Contextual Affective Computing in Real World and Augmented Reality. UbiComp/ISWC 2022 Adjunct - Proceedings of the 2022 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2022 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers, 81-84.
- Gnacek, M., Seiss, E., Kostoulas, T., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Mavridou, I. and Nduka, C., 2021. Remote Collection of Physiological Data in a Virtual Reality Study. In: CHI 21 15-16 May 2021 XR Remote Research Workshop.
- Gnacek, M., Garrido-Leal, D., Nieto Lopez, R., Seiss, E., Kostoulas, T., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Mavridou, I. and Nduka, C., 2020. Heart rate detection from the supratrochlear vessels using a virtual reality headset integrated PPG sensor. ICMI 2020 Companion - Companion Publication of the 2020 International Conference on Multimodal Interaction, 210-214.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Kostoulas, T., Hamedi, M., Balaguer-Ballester, E. and Nduka, C., 2019. Introducing the EmteqVR Interface for Affect Detection in Virtual Reality. 2019 8th International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction Workshops and Demos, ACIIW 2019, 83-84.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Kostoulas, T. and Perry, M., 2019. Emerging Affect Detection Methodologies in VR and future directions. In: VRIC 20-22 March 2019 Laval, France.
- Fatoorechi, M., Archer, J., Nduka, C., Seiss, E., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Mavridou, I., Hamedi, M. and Cleal, A., 2017. Using facial gestures to drive narrative in VR. SUI 2017 - Proceedings of the 2017 Symposium on Spatial User Interaction, 152.
- Mavridou, I., McGhee, J.T., Hamedi, M., Fatoorechi, M., Cleal, A., Ballaguer-Balester, E., Seiss, E., Cox, G. and Nduka, C., 2017. FACETEQ interface demo for emotion expression in VR. Proceedings - IEEE Virtual Reality, 441-442.
- Mavridou, I., McGhee, J.T., Hamedi, M., Fatoorechi, M., Cleal, A., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Seiss, E., Cox, G. and Nduka, C., 2017. FACETEQ; a novel platform for measuring emotion in VR. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series.
- Mavridou, I.I., 2016. Gestures - Emotions interaction: E-viographima application for visual artistic synthesis. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, 05-06-July-2016.
- Mavridou, I., Troisi, A., Seiss, E., Renaud, A. and Balaguer-Ballester, E., 2016. Experience Design for Emotional Stimulation in Virtual Reality. In: Virtual Reality World Congress 12-15 April 2016 Bristol.
- Santorineos, M., Mavridou, I. et al., 2015. Eπiλoγη∗ in Crisis∗∗. 2015 IEEE Virtual Reality Conference, VR 2015 - Proceedings, 351-352.
- Santorineos, M., Mavridou, I. et al., 2015. Choice in Crisis. 2015 IEEE VIRTUAL REALITY CONFERENCE (VR), 351-352.
- Mavridou, I., 2021. Affective state recognition in Virtual Reality from electromyography and photoplethysmography using head-mounted wearable sensors. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Media and Communication.
- Archer, J., Mavridou, I., Stankoski, S., Broulidakis, J., Cleal, A., Walas, P., Fatoorechi, M., Gjoreski, H. and Nduka, C., 2023. OCOsense™ smart glasses for analyzing facial expressions using optomyographic sensors.
- Panchevski, F., Mavridou, I., Gjoreski, H., Gjoreski, M., Kiprijanovska, I., Stankoski, S., Nduka, C. and Broulidakis, J., 2022. Preliminary exploration of facial electromyographic indices of pain in people undergoing hand surgery.
- 1851055 - Virtual Reality and Emotion (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, 01 Oct 2015). In Progress
- MA in Art, Virtual Reality and Multi-user Systems (University Paris-8 (FR) & Athens School of Fine Arts (GR), 2014)