Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
After studying at the Universities of Potsdam, Sussex (exchange year) and at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, I graduated with a Diplom (MSc equivalent) in Psychology in 2000. I conducted my PhD studies at the Psychology Department of the University of Birmingham (2000-2004). Afterwards, I worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Birmingham (SyMoN lab) and at the Birkbeck College, UCL (Brain and Behaviour Lab), and as a lecturer at the University of Surrey (2007-2015. In March 2015, I joined Bournemouth University as a Senior Lecturer. My research interests are on topics in the area of affective, motivational cognitive neuroscience with applications in clinical populations (OCD, Parkinson’s disease), glucose effects on cognition and food choice. In many of my studies I use EEG methods.
Cognitive Neuroscience; Electrophysiological Methods (EEG, ERPs); Movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease; Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD); Glucose effects on cognition; Spatial attention, Response selection, Motor preparation, Subliminal (masked) motor priming.
- Antonini, A., Seiss, E. et al., 2018. Acceptability to patients, carers and clinicians of an mHealth platform for the management of Parkinson's disease (PD-Manager): Study protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial 11 Medical and Health Sciences 1117 Public Health and Health Services. Trials, 19 (1).
- Husted, M., Banks, A.P. and Seiss, E., 2016. Eating behaviour associated with differences in conflict adaptation for food pictures. Appetite, 105, 630-637.
- Seiss, E., Klippel, M., Hope, C., Boy, F. and Sumner, P., 2014. The relationship between reversed masked priming and the tri-phasic pattern of the lateralised readiness potential. PLoS ONE, 9 (4).
- Herron, K., Dijk, D.J., Dean, P., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2014. Quantitative electroencephalography and behavioural correlates of daytime sleepiness in chronic stroke. BioMed Research International, 2014.
- Hope, C., Seiss, E., Dean, P.J.A., Williams, K.E.M. and Sterr, A., 2013. Consumption of glucose drinks slows sensorimotor processing: Double-blind placebo-controlled studies with the Eriksen flanker task. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
- Dean, P.J.A., Otaduy, M.C.G., Harris, L.M., McNamara, A., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2013. Monitoring long-term effects of mild traumatic brain injury with magnetic resonance spectroscopy: A pilot study. NeuroReport, 24 (12), 677-681.
- Dean, P.J.A., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2012. Motor Planning in Chronic Upper-Limb Hemiparesis: Evidence from Movement-Related Potentials. PLoS ONE, 7 (10).
- Van Herpen, E., Seiss, E. and Van Trijp, H.C.M., 2012. The role of familiarity in front-of-pack label evaluation and use: A comparison between the United Kingdom and The Netherlands. Food Quality and Preference, 26 (1), 22-34.
- Leather, C., Hogh, H., Seiss, E. and Everatt, J., 2011. Cognitive functioning and work success in adults with dyslexia. Dyslexia, 17 (4), 327-338.
- Seiss, E., Driver, J. and Eimer, M., 2009. Effects of attentional filtering demands on preparatory ERPs elicited in a spatial cueing task. Clinical Neurophysiology, 120 (6), 1087-1095.
- Seiss, E., Kiss, M. and Eimer, M., 2009. Does focused endogenous attention prevent attentional capture in pop-out visual search? Psychophysiology, 46 (4), 703-717.
- Kourtis, D., Seiss, E. and Praamstra, P., 2008. Movement-related changes in cortical excitability: A steady-state SEP approach. Brain Research, 1244, 113-120.
- Seiss, E., Gherri, E., Eardley, A.F. and Eimer, M., 2007. Do ERP components triggered during attentional orienting represent supramodal attentional control? Psychophysiology, 44 (6), 987-990.
- Seiss, E. and Praamstra, P., 2006. Time-course of masked response priming and inhibition in Parkinson's disease. Neuropsychologia, 44 (6), 869-875.
- Stürmer, B., Seiss, E. and Leuthold, H., 2005. Executive control in the Simon task: A dual-task examination of response priming and its suppression. European Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 17 (5), 590-618.
- Praamstra, P. and Seiss, E., 2005. The neurophysiology of response competition: Motor cortex activation and inhibition following subliminal response priming. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 17 (3), 483-493.
- Seiss, E. and Praamstra, P., 2004. The basal ganglia and inhibitory mechanisms in response selection: Evidence from subliminal priming of motor responses in Parkinson's disease. Brain, 127 (2), 330-339.
- Hesse, C.W., Seiss, E., Bracewell, R.M. and Praamstra, P., 2004. Absence of gaze direction effects on EEG measures of sensorimotor function. Clinical Neurophysiology, 115 (1), 29-38.
- Seiss, E., Praamstra, P., Hesse, C.W. and Rickards, H., 2003. Proprioceptive sensory function in Parkinson's disease and Huntington's disease: Evidence from proprioception-related EEG potentials. Experimental Brain Research, 148 (3), 308-319.
- Seiss, E., Hesse, C.W., Drane, S., Oostenveld, R., Wing, A.M. and Praamstra, P., 2002. Proprioception-related evoked potentials: Origin and sensitivity to movement parameters. NeuroImage, 17 (1), 461-468.
- Duka, T., Seiss, E. and Tasker, R., 2002. The effects of extrinsic context on nicotine discrimination. Behavioural Pharmacology, 13 (1), 39-47.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Kostoulas, T., Nduka, C. and Balaguer-Ballester, E., 2018. Towards an Effectve Arousal Detecton System for Virtual Reality.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Hamedi, M., Balaguer-Ballester, E.M.I.L.I. and Nduka, C., 2018. Towards valence detection from EMG for Virtual Reality applications. ICDVRAT.
- Mavridou, Hamedi, M., Fatoorechi, M., Archer, J., Cleal, A., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Seiss, E. and Nduka, C., 2017. Using Facial Gestures to Drive Narrative in VR. In: ACM Spatial User Interfaces (SUI'17) 16-17 October 2017 Brighton. ACM Digital library: ACM, 152.
- Mavridou, I., McGhee, J.T., Hamedi, M., Fatoorechi, M., Cleal, A., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Seiss, E., Cox, G. and Nduka, C., 2017. FACETEQ; A novel platform for measuring emotion in VR. In: 19TH ACM VIRTUAL REALITY INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE – VRIC 22-24 March 2017 Laval, France. ACM.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E. et al., 2017. FACETEQ Interface Demo for Emotion Expression in VR. In: IEEE Virtual Reality 2017 x. 441-442.
- Mavridou, I., Troisi, A., Seiss, E., Renaud, A. and Balaguer-Ballester, E., 2016. Experience Design for Emotional Stimulation in Virtual Reality. In: Virtual Reality World Congress.
- PD Manager: mHealth platform for Parkinson’s Disease Management (Horizon 2020, 01 Sep 2015). In Progress