Dr Ellen Seiss
- 01202 967223
- eseiss at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Psychology
- Poole House P126A, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
After studying at the Universities of Potsdam, Sussex (exchange year) and at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, I graduated with a Diplom (MSc equivalent) in Psychology in 2000. I conducted my PhD studies at the Psychology Department of the University of Birmingham (2000-2004). Afterwards, I worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Birmingham (SyMoN lab) and at the Birkbeck College, UCL (Brain and Behaviour Lab), and as a lecturer at the University of Surrey (2007-2015. In March 2015, I joined Bournemouth University as a Senior Lecturer. My research interests are on topics in the area of affective, motivational cognitive neuroscience with applications in clinical populations (OCD, Parkinson’s disease), glucose effects on cognition and food choice. In many of my studies I use EEG methods.
Cognitive Neuroscience; Electrophysiological Methods (EEG, ERPs); Movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease; Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD); Glucose effects on cognition; Spatial attention, Response selection, Motor preparation, Subliminal (masked) motor priming.
- Husted, M., Seiss, E. and Banks, A.P., 2019. The relationship between dietary restraint and deficits in reasoning about causes of obesity. Psychology and Health, 34 (12), 1504-1522.
- Antonini, A., Seiss, E. et al., 2018. Acceptability to patients, carers and clinicians of an mHealth platform for the management of Parkinson's disease (PD-Manager): Study protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial 11 Medical and Health Sciences 1117 Public Health and Health Services. Trials, 19 (1).
- Husted, M., Banks, A.P. and Seiss, E., 2016. Eating behaviour associated with differences in conflict adaptation for food pictures. Appetite, 105, 630-637.
- Seiss, E., Klippel, M., Hope, C., Boy, F. and Sumner, P., 2014. The relationship between reversed masked priming and the tri-phasic pattern of the lateralised readiness potential. PLoS ONE, 9 (4).
- Herron, K., Dijk, D.J., Dean, P., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2014. Quantitative electroencephalography and behavioural correlates of daytime sleepiness in chronic stroke. BioMed Research International, 2014.
- Hope, C., Seiss, E., Dean, P.J.A., Williams, K.E.M. and Sterr, A., 2013. Consumption of glucose drinks slows sensorimotor processing: Double-blind placebo-controlled studies with the Eriksen flanker task. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
- Dean, P.J.A., Otaduy, M.C.G., Harris, L.M., McNamara, A., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2013. Monitoring long-term effects of mild traumatic brain injury with magnetic resonance spectroscopy: A pilot study. NeuroReport, 24 (12), 677-681.
- Dean, P.J.A., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2012. Motor Planning in Chronic Upper-Limb Hemiparesis: Evidence from Movement-Related Potentials. PLoS ONE, 7 (10).
- Van Herpen, E., Seiss, E. and Van Trijp, H.C.M., 2012. The role of familiarity in front-of-pack label evaluation and use: A comparison between the United Kingdom and The Netherlands. Food Quality and Preference, 26 (1), 22-34.
- Leather, C., Hogh, H., Seiss, E. and Everatt, J., 2011. Cognitive functioning and work success in adults with dyslexia. Dyslexia, 17 (4), 327-338.
- Seiss, E., Driver, J. and Eimer, M., 2009. Effects of attentional filtering demands on preparatory ERPs elicited in a spatial cueing task. Clinical Neurophysiology, 120 (6), 1087-1095.
- Seiss, E., Kiss, M. and Eimer, M., 2009. Does focused endogenous attention prevent attentional capture in pop-out visual search? Psychophysiology, 46 (4), 703-717.
- Kourtis, D., Seiss, E. and Praamstra, P., 2008. Movement-related changes in cortical excitability: A steady-state SEP approach. Brain Research, 1244, 113-120.
- Seiss, E., Gherri, E., Eardley, A.F. and Eimer, M., 2007. Do ERP components triggered during attentional orienting represent supramodal attentional control? Psychophysiology, 44 (6), 987-990.
- Seiss, E. and Praamstra, P., 2006. Time-course of masked response priming and inhibition in Parkinson's disease. Neuropsychologia, 44 (6), 869-875.
- Stürmer, B., Seiss, E. and Leuthold, H., 2005. Executive control in the Simon task: A dual-task examination of response priming and its suppression. European Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 17 (5), 590-618.
- Praamstra, P. and Seiss, E., 2005. The neurophysiology of response competition: Motor cortex activation and inhibition following subliminal response priming. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 17 (3), 483-493.
- Seiss, E. and Praamstra, P., 2004. The basal ganglia and inhibitory mechanisms in response selection: Evidence from subliminal priming of motor responses in Parkinson's disease. Brain, 127 (2), 330-339.
- Hesse, C.W., Seiss, E., Bracewell, R.M. and Praamstra, P., 2004. Absence of gaze direction effects on EEG measures of sensorimotor function. Clinical Neurophysiology, 115 (1), 29-38.
- Seiss, E., Praamstra, P., Hesse, C.W. and Rickards, H., 2003. Proprioceptive sensory function in Parkinson's disease and Huntington's disease: Evidence from proprioception-related EEG potentials. Experimental Brain Research, 148 (3), 308-319.
- Seiss, E., Hesse, C.W., Drane, S., Oostenveld, R., Wing, A.M. and Praamstra, P., 2002. Proprioception-related evoked potentials: Origin and sensitivity to movement parameters. NeuroImage, 17 (1), 461-468.
- Duka, T., Seiss, E. and Tasker, R., 2002. The effects of extrinsic context on nicotine discrimination. Behavioural Pharmacology, 13 (1), 39-47.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Kostoulas, T., Nduka, C. and Balaguer-Ballester, E., 2018. Towards an effecve arousal detecon system for virtual reality.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Hamedi, M., Balaguer-Ballester, E.M.I.L.I. and Nduka, C., 2018. Towards valence detection from EMG for Virtual Reality applications. ICDVRAT.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Kostoulas, T., Hamedi, M., Balaguer-Ballester, E. and Nduka, C., 2019. Introducing the EmteqVR Interface for Affect Detection in Virtual Reality. 83-84.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Kostoulas, T. and Perry, M., 2019. Emerging Affect Detection Methodologies in VR and future directions. In: VRIC 20-22 March 2019 Laval, France.
- Fatoorechi, M., Archer, J., Nduka, C., Seiss, E., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Mavridou, I., Hamedi, M. and Cleal, A., 2017. Using facial gestures to drive narrative in VR. 152.
- Mavridou, I., McGhee, J.T., Hamedi, M., Fatoorechi, M., Cleal, A., Balaguer-Ballester, E., Seiss, E., Cox, G. and Nduka, C., 2017. FACETEQ; a novel platform for measuring emotion in VR.
- Mavridou, I., Seiss, E. et al., 2017. FACETEQ Interface Demo for Emotion Expression in VR. In: IEEE Virtual Reality 2017 x. 441-442.
- Husted, M., Banks, A.P. and Seiss, E., 2014. EXTERNAL AND EMOTIONAL EATING DIFFERENTIALLY EFFECTS PERFORMANCE IN FLANKER TASK USING FOOD STIMULI. S87.
- Encke, M., Dean, P.J.A., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2013. EFFECTS OF AGING ON MOTOR PREPARATION PROCESSES. S87.
- Seiss, E., Hope, C., Guinn, A., Dean, P.J.A. and Sterr, A., 2013. THE EFFECT OF ELEVATED BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS ON ENCODING AND RETRIEVAL IN A VERBAL MEMORY TASK. S92-S93.
- Herron, K., Dijk, D.-J., Dean, P., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2009. EEG-DERIVED BIOMARKERS FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS IN PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC STROKE. S108.
- Hope, C., Seiss, E., Dean, P. and Sterr, A., 2009. AN ELECTROPHYSIOLOGICAL INVESTIGATION OF GLUCOSE ADMINISTRATION EFFECTS ON SENSORIMOTOR PROCESSING IN A MODIFIED ERIKSEN FLANKER TASK. S97.
- Dean, P., Seiss, E. and Sterr, A., 2009. ADVANCE MOVEMENT PREPARATION IN HEMIPARETIC PATIENTS: ELECTROPHYSIOLOGICAL INDICE. S97.
- Seiss, E., Wilkinson, L., Eimer, M. and Jahanshahi, M., 2009. Selective attention in Parkinson's disease: An investigation with the priming-of-popout paradigm. S312.
- Seiss, E. and Praamstra, P., 2003. Proprioception-related evoked potentials in Parkinson's disease and Huntington's disease. 101-102.
- Hesse, C., Drane, S., Seiss, E., Wing, A. and Praamstra, P., 2001. Proprioceptive SEPs: Origin and sensitivity to movement parameters. S1185.
- PD Manager: mHealth platform for Parkinson’s Disease Management (Horizon 2020, 01 Sep 2015). In Progress