Dr Katherine King
- 01202 968175
- kingk at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer
- Dorset House D113, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Katherine King is a Senior Academic in the Department of Sport and Event Management. Her research interests focus on the geographies of sport and leisure, in particular the inter connections between identities, lifestyles and sport and leisure spaces. She specialises in qualitative research and is an expert on young people use of green spaces for sport and leisure.
Katherine completed her PhD research in the School of Environment at the University of Brighton in 2009. Her PhD research, supported by the Forestry Commission, explored young people's use of the countryside, focused specifically on mountain biking. She has also worked as a youth researcher at Brunel University on an AHRC funded research project investigating youth people's religious experiences and identities in multi faith settings and as a researcher on several projects focused on participation in sport, leisure and events in both the UK and Australia.
Katherine is Programme Leader for BA (Hons) Events and Leisure Marketing and Final year tutor for BA (Hons) Events Management... She is a member of the Leisure Studies Association Executive Board and the Administrator for the journal Leisure Studies.more
My current research interests focus on the interconnections between leisure, identity and space, and the ways in which we can create more inclusive, equitable and diverse environments for experiences of sport and leisure. My work explores the relationship between youth, policy and nature connectivity through their engagement with informal sport. I have also publish work on cycling communities and spot event spaces.
I am currently Membership Officer for the Leisure Studies Association and the administrator for the Journal Leisure Studies.
- DaSilva, G., Hecquet, J. and King, K., 2020. Exploring veganism through serious leisure and liquid modernity. Annals of Leisure Research, 23 (5), 627-644.
- King, K. and Church, A., 2019. Beyond transgression: mountain biking, young people and managing green spaces. Annals of Leisure Research.
- King, K., Shipway, R., Lee, I.S. and Brown, G., 2018. Proximate tourists and major sport events in everyday leisure spaces. Tourism Geographies, 20 (5), 880-898.
- King, K. and Church, A., 2017. Lifestyle sports delivery and sustainability: clubs, communities and user-managers. International Journal of Sport Policy, 9 (1), 107-119.
- King, K., 2016. Landscapes of leisure: space, place and identities Book Review. Journal of Sport & Tourism.
- Shipway, R., King, K., Lee, I.S. and Brown, G., 2016. Understanding cycle tourism experiences at the Tour Down Under. Journal of Sport and Tourism, 20 (1), 21-39.
- Lee, I.S., Brown, G., King, K. and Shipway, R., 2016. Social identity in serious sport event space. Event Management, 20 (4), 491-499.
- Brown, G., Lee, I.S., King, K. and Shipway, R., 2015. Eventscapes and the creation of event legacies. Annals of Leisure Research, 18 (4), 510-527.
- Brown, G., Lee, I.S., King, K. and Shipway, R., 2015. Eventscapes and the creation of event legacies. Annals of Leisure Research.
- King, K. and Church, A., 2015. Questioning policy, youth participation and lifestyle sports. Leisure Studies, 34 (3), 282-302.
- King, K. and Church, A., 2013. We don't enjoy nature like that: youth identity and lifestyle in the countryside. Journal of Rural Studies, 31, 67-76.
- King, K. and Hemming, P., 2012. Exploring multiple religious identities through mixed qualitative methods. Fieldwork in Religion, 7 (1), 29-47.
- Madge, N., Hemming, P., Stenson, K., Calestani, M., Goodman, A., King, K., Kingston, S. and Webster, C., 2013. Youth On Religion: The Development, Negotiation and Impact of Faith and Non-Faith Identity. Routledge.
- King, K., 2013. Choosing their own paths: mobile methodologies for understanding youth lifestyles. In: Duncan, T., Cohen, S. and Thulemark, M., eds. Lifestyle Mobilities: Intersections of Travel, Leisure and Migration. Ashgate.
- King, K., 2013. Sporting identities. In: Fyall, A. and Garrod, B., eds. Contemporary Cases in Sport. Goodfellow Publishers.
- King, K., 2012. Encouraging active identities and lifestyles: the spatialities of youth mountain biking. In: Shipway, R. and Fyall, A., eds. International sports events: impacts, experiences and identities. London: Routledge.
- King, K. and caudwell, J., 2017. We Love EU: Migrant and refugee leisure spaces and community wellbeing post Brexit. In: LSA 2017 4-6 July 2017 Leeds Beckett University.
- King, K., 2017. Out on the edge? Informal sports in rural spaces. In: Communities, Engagement and Lifestyle Sports 17 June 2017 Phoenix Gallery, Brighton.
- Shipway, R., King, K., Lee, I.S. and Brown, G., 2015. On your bike: Exploring cycle tourism experiences. In: 3rd World Research Summit for Tourism and Hospitality: Transforming Partnerships 15-19 December 2015 Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Lee, I.S., King, K., Brown, G. and Shipway, R., 2014. The nature of sport event space for social identity formation. In: Global events Congress VI 9-11 July 2014 Adelaide, South Australia.
- King, K., Lee, S., Shipway, R. and Brown, G., 2014. The ephemeral and the everyday: International cycle events in local leisure spaces. In: LSA 7-9 July 2014 University of the West of Scotland.
- King, K., 2012. Managing youth leisure in multiple natural environments. In: Fredman, P., Stenseke, M., Liljendahl, H., Mossing, A. and Laven, D., eds. The 6th International Conference on Monitoring and Management of Visitors in Recreational and Protected Areas 21-24 August 2012 Stockholm, Sweden. , 252.
- King, K. and Church, A., 2012. On yer bike! Exclusive lifestyle practices in countryside space. In: Leisure Studies Association 17-19 July 2012 University of Edinburgh.
- King, K., 2010. Teenagers, mountain biking lifestyles and the nature experience: methodologies for understanding youth engagements with nature. In: Children and Nature: measuring success? 21 October 2010 Natural England, London, England.
- King, K., 2010. Creating youth identity and lifestyle: mountain biking in the UK. In: World Leisure Congress 28 August-2 September 2010 Kangwon University, Chuncheon, South Korea.
- King, K.. On yer bike! Exclusive lifestyle practices in countryside space. In: Leisure Studies Association 17-19 July 2012 University of Edinburgh.
- King, K.. Managing youth leisure in multiple natural environments. In: The 6th International Conference on Monitoring and Management of Visitors in Recreational and Protected Areas 21-24 August 2012 Stockholm, Sweden. http://www.mmv2012.se/MMV-2012-Proceedings.pdf.
- King, K., 2011. Youth mountain biking at Bedgebury Active England Project. Farnham, Surrey, England: Forest Research.
- King, K., 2010. Lifestyle, identity and young people's experience of mountain biking. Farnham: Forest Research. Available from: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/PDF/FCRN007.pdf/$FILE/FCRN007.pdf.
- King, K., 2010. Lifestyles, identity and young people's experiences of mountain biking. Farnham, Surrey, England: Forest Research. Available from: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCRN007.pdf/$FILE/FCRN007.pdf.
- King, K., Miles, S. and Speight, C., 2010. The evaluation of the creative campus initiative. University of Brighton. Available from: http://www.creativecampusinitiative.org.uk/evaluation.html.
- Frontiers in Sport and Active Living (Sport, Leisure and Tourism), Associate Editor (2019-), https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/sports-and-active-living
- Leisure Studies Journal, Journal Administrator (2016-), http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rlst20
- Leisure Studies Association, Executive Committee Membership Officer (2014-), http://www.leisurestudies.org/
- Communities, Engagement and Lifestyle Sports, Out on the edge? Informal sports in rural spaces, 17 Jun 2017, Phoenix Gallery, Brighton
- PGCE in Higher Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- PhD in Human Geography / Leisure Studies (University of Brighton, 2009)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Research Methodologies (University of Brighton, 2007)
- BSc (Hons) in Geography (University of Brighton, 2004)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2013-),
- Leisure Studies Association, Member (2012-),