- 01202 962002
- mlyne at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Mental Health Social Work
- Royal London House R412, Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH1 3LT
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
A Registered Social Worker and Registered Mental Nurse, prior to joining the university my role was in the implementation of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Mental Health Act 1983 (2007) on behalf of a unitary authority and PCT.
Throughout my career I have been involved in teaching and mentoring others.
My current interests are in consent to treatment issues, end of life care and substituted decision making in health and social care.
- Lyne, M. and Parker, J., 2020. From ovid to COVID: the metamorphosis of advanced decisions to refuse treatment into a safeguarding issue. Journal of Adult Protection, 22 (6), 361-369.
- Lee, S., Fenge, L.-A., Brown, K. and Lyne, M., 2020. Demystifying mental capacity A guide for health and social care professionals. Learning Matters.
- Lyne, M., 2017. Mental capacity, safeguarding and considering best interests. In: Fenge, L., Lee, S. and Brown, K., eds. Safeguarding Adults; scamming and mental capacity. London: Sage/Learning Matters, 78-91.
- Lyne, M., 2010. The Mental Capacity Act 2005. In: Brown, K., ed. Vulnerable Adults and Community care. Exeter: Learning Matters, 31-43.
- Lyne, M., Brown, K. and Grimshaw, K., 2020. Advance care planning. BU NCPQSW. Available from: https://ncpqsw.com/.
- Lyne, M., Grimshaw, K. and Brown, K., 2020. The Mental Capacity Act requirements for clinical decisions regarding treatment and care. NCPQSW BU. Available from: https://ncpqsw.com/news/mental-capacity-act-guidance/.
- Lyne, M., Grimshaw, K. and Brown, K., 2020. The Mental Capacity Act requirements when an individual lacks the mental capacity to consent to treatment and care. NCPQSW BU. Available from: https://ncpqsw.com/news/mental-capacity-act-guidance/.
- Lyne, M., Grimshaw, K. and Brown, K., 2020. Guidance on the use of the Mental Capacity Act for decisions regarding clinical treatment and care: An introduction. NCPQSW BU. Available from: https://ncpqsw.com/news/mental-capacity-act-guidance/.
- Brown, K., Bogg, D. and Lyne, M., 2016. Next of kin - how important is getting consent for treatment?. UK Home Care Association. Available from: http://www.ukhca.co.uk/.
- Lyne, M. and Brown, K., 2018. Advance Decisions to Refuse Treatment:suggestions on the value and use of ADRTs in society. National Centre for Post Qualifying Social Work.
- Bogg, D., Brown, K. and Lyne, M., 2018. Next of kin: understanding decision making authorities. Bournemouth: NCPQSW. Bournemouth University. Published online.
- Brown, K., Bogg, D. and Lyne, M., 2017. National Mental Capacity Act competency framework. Bournemouth: https://www.scie.org.uk/mca/directory/forum https://ncpqsw.com/all-publications/. Published.
- Galpin, D., Morrison, L., Brown, K. and Lyne, M., 2016. National Competency Framework for Safeguarding Adults - concise version. Bournemouth: NCPQSW Bournemouth University. Published.
- Lyne, M., 2014. MCA 2005 Workbook for Practitioners. Bournemouth: Learn to Care/ NCPQSW. Published.
- Lyne, M., 2014. MCA 2005 Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Workbook for Practitioners. Bournemouth: Learn to Care/ NCPQSW. Published.
- Lyne, M., 2014. Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS): judgement of the Supreme Court. Implications for workforce development. Bournemouth: Learn to Care/NCPQSW. In preparation.
- Lyne, M., 2013. Safeguarding adults at risk of harm: Staff groups C and D workbook. Birmingham: Learn to Care. Published.
- Brown, K., Galpin, D., Keen, S., Lyne, M. and Morrison, L., 2010. National Competence Framework for Safeguarding Adults- Comprehensive Guide. Bournemouth: Learn to Care/ NCPQSW. Published.
- Manchester Metropolitan University, External Examiner (2011-2016)
- LLM in Mental Health Law, Policy and Practice (Northumbria University, 2007)
- Dip HE in Social Work (University of Portsmouth, 1998)
- MA in Applied Social Studies (University of Portsmouth, 1998)
- BA (Hons) in English with education (West Sussex Institute of Higher Education, 1994)
- Prof Qual in Registered Mental Nurse (Southampton University Hospitals Combined School of Nursing, 1982)
- Health and Care Professions Council, Member (1998-),
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Member (1982-),