Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I began my professional career as an Education Welfare Officer in London in 1984. In 1987 I undertook a Masters in Social Work at the LSE, and then worked in various social work posts in London and Dorset including hospital based social work and local area offices working with older people and disability groups. I have worked at Bournemouth University since 1995, teaching on a variety of programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate areas. I completed my doctorate in 2008, and have been involved in a variety of research and enterprise projects linked to the use of participative methodologies with both older people and youth, specifically linked to issues associated with social inclusion and the voice of under-represented groups. I have written about participative research, disenfranchised grief, doctoral education, and research with older people.
I am currently Associate Dean for Postgraduate Students in the School, having strategic oversight of CPD, Masters programmes and research students within the school.
- Lee, S., Fenge, L.A. and Collins, B., 2018. Promoting sexual well-being in social work education and practice. Social Work Education, 37 (3), 315-327.
- Fenge, L., Jones, K. and Gibson, C., 2018. Meaningful dissemination produces the “long tail” that engenders community impact. Qualitative research journal.
- Lee, S. and Fenge, L.A., 2017. Scamming: Recognising and supporting victims of financial abuse. Journal of Community Nursing, 31 (6), 59-63.
- Jones, K. and Fenge, L.-A., 2017. Gifted Stories: How well do we retell the stories that research participants give us? Creative Approaches to Research.
- Dickerson, E., Fenge, L.A. and Rosenorn-Lanng, E., 2017. The impact of leadership development on GP mental health commissioning. Leadership in Health Services, 30 (3), 343-351.
- Lee, S. and Fenge, L.A., 2016. Sexual well-being and physical disability. British Journal of Social Work, 46 (8), 2263-2281.
- Fenge, L., Oakely, L. and Bass, S., 2016. Exploring the complexities of understanding vulnerability and adult safeguarding within Christian Faith organisations. Journal of Adult Protection.
- Fenge, L.A., Hodges, C. and Cutts, W., 2016. Performance poetry as a method to understand disability. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung, 17 (2).
- Turner, D., Bennison, G., Megele, C. and Fenge, L.-A., 2016. Social Work and Social Media: Best Friends or Natural Enemies? SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION, 35 (3), 241-244.
- Oliver, S., Burls, T., Fenge, L. and Brown, K., 2015. Safeguarding Adults and Mass Marketing Fraud - perspectives from the Police, Trading Standards and the Voluntary Sector. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, In press.
- Oliver, S., Burls, T., Fenge, L.A. and Brown, K., 2015. "winning and losing": Vulnerability to mass marketing fraud. Journal of Adult Protection, 17 (6), 360-370.
- Hodges, C.E.M., Fenge, L.-A. and Cutts, W., 2014. Challenging Perceptions of Disability through Performance Poetry Methods: The "Seen but Seldom Heard" Project. Disability and Society.
- Fenge, L.A., Hean, S., Staddon, S., Clapper, A., Heaslip, V. and Jack, E., 2014. Mental health and the criminal justice system: The role of interagency training to promote practitioner understanding of the diversion agenda. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 36 (1), 36-46.
- Hean, S., Staddon, S., Clapper, A., Fenge, L.A., Heaslip, V. and Jack, E., 2014. Improving collaborative practice to address offender mental health: criminal justice and mental health service professionals’ attitudes towards interagency training, current training needs and constraints,. Journal of Research in Interprofessional Practice and Education.
- Fenge-Davies, L., 2013. Developing understanding of same sex partner bereavement for older lesbian and gay people: implications for social work practice,. Journal of Gerontological Social Work.
- Jones, K., Fenge, L.-A., Read, R. and Cash, M., 2013. Collecting Older Lesbians' and Gay Men's Stories of Rural Life in South West England and Wales: "We Were Obviously Gay Girls ... (So) He Removed His Cow From Our Field". Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 14 (2).
- Hean, S., Fenge, L.-A., Worswick, L., Wilkinson, C. and Fearnley, S., 2013. Keeping informed during times of economic down turn: the trusted amateur as a preferred source of financial information. Public Money and Management.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2012. Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Aging: Challenges in Research, Practice and Policy. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SOCIAL WORK, 42 (8), 1637-1639.
- Fenge, L.A., Hean, S., Worswick, L., Wilkinson, C., Fearnley, S. and Ersser, S., 2012. The impact of the economic recession on well-being and quality of life of older people. Health and Social Care in the Community, 20 (6), 617-624.
- Fenge, L.A., 2012. Economic Well-being and Ageing: The Need for Financial Education for Social Workers. Social Work Education, 31 (4), 498-511.
- Fenge, L.-A., Hean, S., Worswick, L., Wilkinson, C. and Fearnley, S., 2012. The impact of the economic recession on wellbeing and quality of life of older people. Health and Social Care in the Community.
- Hean, S., Fenge, L.-A., Worswick, L., Wilkinson, C. and Fearnley, S., 2012. Intersectoral interagency partnerships to promote financial capability in older people. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 26 (5), 419-421.
- Fenge, L.-A. and Jones, K., 2012. Gay and pleasant land? exploring sexuality, ageing and rurality in a multi-method, performative project. British Journal of Social Work, 42 (2), 300-317.
- Fenge, L.-A., Fannin, A. and Hicks, T., 2011. Co-production in scholarly activity: valuing the social capital of lay people and volunteers. Journal of Social Work.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2011. Financial Education for Social Workers: older people and the recession,. Social Work Education.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2011. ‘A second chance at learning but it’s not quite higher education’: experience of a foundation degree. Journal of Further and Higher Education.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2011. Enhancing the doctoral journey: the role of Group Supervision in supporting collaborative learning and creativity,. Studies in Higher Education.
- Warren, A., Thomas, G., Keen, S., Rutter, L., Fenge, L.-A. and Brown, K., 2011. ‘They’ve got it!’ – social work students’ understanding of service user and carer perspectives. Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work.
- Fenge, L.-A., Hodges, C.E.M. and Cutts, W., 2011. Seen But Seldom Heard: Creative Participatory Methods in a Study of Youth and Risk. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 10, 418-430.
- Fenge, L. and Hicks, C., 2011. Hidden lives: the importance of recognizing the needs and experiences of older lesbians and gay men within healthcare practice,. Diversity in Health and Care, 8, 147-154.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2010. Sense and sensibility: making sense of a professional doctorate. Reflective Practice, 11 (5), 645-656.
- Fenge, L.-A., Jones, K. and Read, R., 2010. Connecting participatory methods in a study of older lesbian and gay citizens in rural areas. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 9, 320-333.
- Warren, A., Calvin Thomas, G., Keen, S., Rutter, L., Fenge, L.-A. and Brown, K., 2010. 'They've got it!' Social work students' understanding of service user and carer perspectives. Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work, 10, 45-58.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2009. Diversity within the Health Service workforce: raising the aspirations of migrant housekeeping workers. Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 14, 19-29.
- Fenge, L.-A. and Fannin, A., 2009. Sexuality and Bereavement: Implications for Practice with Older Lesbians and Gay Men. Practice: Social Work in Action, 21, 35-36.
- Fenge, L.-A., Fannin, A., Hicks, T., Armstrong, A. and Taylor, V., 2009. Lifting the Lid on sexuality and ageing: the voices of volunteer researchers. Qualitative Social Work, 8, 509-524.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2008. Striving towards Inclusive Research: An Example of Participatory Action Research with Older Lesbians and Gay Men. British Journal of Social Work.
- Ward, R.J., River, L. and Fenge, L.-A., 2007. Neither Silent nor Invisible: A Comparison of Two Participative Projects Involving Older Lesbians and Gay Men in the United Kingdom. Journal of Gay & Lesbian Social Services, 20.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2006. Empowering older volunteers: learning to research. Research Policy and Planning, 24, 13-23.
- Brown, K., Fenge, L.-A. and Young, N., 2005. Researching reflective practice: an example from PQSW education. Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 10, 389-402.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2002. Practising partnership - participative enquiry with older people. Social Work Education, 21, 171-181.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2001. Empowerment and community care - projecting the voice of older people. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 23, 427-439.
- Fenge, L., Lee, S. and Brown, K., 2017. Safeguarding Adults Scamming and Mental Capacity. Learning Matters.
- Fenge, L.-A., Fannin, A., Hicks, T. and Lavin, N., 2008. Social Work Practice with Older Lesbians and Gay Men. Exeter, England: Learning Matters.
- Jones, K. and Fenge, L.-A., 2013. “Involving older gay men in research: the lure of group experience”. In: Pini, B. and Pease, B., eds. Men, Masculinities and Methodologies. London: Palgrave, 209-222.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2006. Community care: assessing needs, risks and rights. In: Brown, K., ed. Vulnerable Adults and Community Care. Exeter: Learning Matters, 17-19.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2006. Promoting inclusiveness: developing empowering practice with minority groups of older people - the example of older lesbian women and gay men. In: Brown, K., ed. Vulnerable adults and community care. Exeter: Learning Matters, 83-90.
- Cash, M. and Jones, K., 2013. “Interfacing with older LGBT citizens and challenging discrimination”. Two-day Masterclass. In: “Interfacing with older LGBT citizens and challenging discrimination”. Two-day Masterclass 17-18 April 2013 Bournemouth University.
- Fenge, L., 2012. Putting policy into practice: improving services for older LGBT adults. In: British Gerontological Society Conference, 11-13 July 2012 Keele University.
- Fenge,L and Jones, K., 2010. Connecting participatory methods in a study of older lesbian and gay citizens in rural areas. In: 8th International Qualitative Health Conference 6-8 September 2010 Boutnemouth.
- Fenge, L., 2010. Exploring Sexuality, ageing and rurality: a discussion of research methodology. In: Joint Social Work Education Conference, 30 June-2 July 2010 University of Hertfortshire.
- Cutts, W., Hodges, C.E.M. and Fenge, L.-A., 2010. Connecting participatory methods in a study of youth and risk. In: Qualitative Research Conference 2010 6-8 September 2010 Bournemouth University.
- Jones, K., Fenge, L. and Read,R., 2009. ’Gay and Pleasant Land? ...’ (short film). In: LGBT Lives: Sexual/Gender Dissidence Over the Life Course (ESRC funded seminar series) University of Glasgow 16 May 2009 Glasgow.
- Fenge, L., 2008. ‘Don’t mention the FE Word: student and staff experiences of a FD in Health and Social Care’-. In: 7th Qualitative Research Conference 8-10 September 2008 Bournemouth.
- Fenge, L., 2008. ‘Striving towards Inclusive research’. In: 10th UK Joint Social Work Education Conference with the 2nd UK Social Work Research Conference 9-11 July 2008 Cambridge.
- Fenge, L., 2007. Diversity within the NHS workforce: raising the aspirations of migrant house-keeping workers, ,. In: FACE Conference - Social Justice and Lifelong Learning: Diversity: Globalisation: Transformation 2-4 July 2007 London.
- Fenge, L., 2007. Professional Doctorates – a better route for researching professionals,. In: Joint Social Work Education Conference 11-13 July 2007 Swansea.
- Fenge, L., 2006. ‘Inclusive Practice with Older Lesbians and Gay Men’ -. In: 6th International Qualitative Research Conference, 4-6 September 2006 Bournemouth.
- Brown, K. and Fenge, L.-A., 2005. Career Pathways - Continuum of Education through Certificated Building Blocks. In: Fragmentation or Integration? Maintaining workforce development and performance in Social Care - Learn to Care Annual Conference 18-19 April 2005 Bournemouth, England.
- Brown, K. and Fenge, L.-A., 2004. The regulation of post-qualifying social work - developing a competent work force. In: Socio-Legal Studies Association Conference April 2004 Glasgow.
- Brown, K., Fenge, L.-A. and Young, N., 2003. Reflective practice in post-qualifying social work education. In: Mindful Inquiry: 9th International Reflective Practice Conference 23-25 June 2003 Cambridge, UK.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2002. Social work and older people: challenging social exclusion through 'citizenship' and participation. In: International Schools of Social Work Conference 2002.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2002. Participative inquiry and older people. In: Qualitative Research Conference in Health and Social Care September 2002 Bournemouth, UK.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2001. Empowerment and community care: projecting the 'voice' of older people. In: Socio-Legal Studies Association (SLSA) Conference 4-6 April 2001 Bristol.
- Fenge, L.-A., Barrett, G., Wincewicz, S. and Brown, K., 2015. Making Safeguarding Personal Evaluation: London Borough of Enfield. Bournemouth: The National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work.
- Fenge, L.-A., Rosenorn-Lanng, E., Brown, K. and Wincewicz, S., 2015. Perceptions of the Health and Social Care Sector.. Bournemouth, UK: The National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work.
- Fenge, L.-A., Howe, K., Rosenorn-Lanng, E. and Brown, K., 2014. Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE) Evaluation.. Bournemouth, UK: The National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work.
- Fenge, L.-A., Rosenorn-Lanng, E. and Brown, K., 2014. Rethinking Systemic Practice: An evaluation of the Basingstoke Children’s Services Pilot Model. Hampshire County Council. The National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work.. Bournemouth, UK: National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work and Professional Practice.
- Hean, S., Worswick, L., Fenge, L.A., Wilkinson, C., Fearnley, S. and Ersser, S., 2013. Asset rich cash poor in the economic downturn: the financial challenges facing retired older people. Edinburgh: Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland.
- Hean, S., Staddon, S., Clapper, A., Fenge, L.A., Heaslip, V. and Jack, E., 2012. Exploring the need for Interagency Training across the Criminal Justice and Mental Health Services.. Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Innes, A., Barker, S., Board, M., Fenge, L.A. and Heaslip, V., 2012. Review of HEDN Curriculum for Dementia Education (CDE).. HEDN.
- Brown, K., Atkins, P., Warren, A., Bates, N., Keen, S. and Fenge, L.-A., 2008. Developing the active and informed participation of people who use services and carers in the design, delivery and assessment of learning and development provision for the social care workforce in the Skills for Care South West region.. Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Fenge, L. and Fenge-Davies, L., 2008. Realising potential? The challenges of widening participation for students, further education and higher education. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, School of Health and Social Care.
- Fenge, L., Brown, K., Johnson, R., Rosenorn-Lanng, E. and Wincewicz, S., 2016. Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Against Financial Scams - Presentation at House of Commons. Bournemouth University. Unpublished.
- Fenge, L., Brown, K. and Johnson, R.. Home Alone - Loneliness is a major factor in making older people vulnerable to scams.
- Liz Davey. An exploration of women's experiences of wellbeing through attendance at aquanatal exercise, and the impact of peer support during pregnancy
- Promoting Dignity through understanding Narratives (Economic Social Research Council, 02 Nov 2013). Awarded
- Dementia Awareness Course (Royal Bournemouth Hospital, 01 May 2013). Completed
- The power of narrative and stories in enabling learning for professional practice (Higher Education Academy, 16 Apr 2013). Completed
- Ethics and Social Welfare, Editorial Board member (2014-2018)
- Social Work Education :The International Journal, Editorial Board Member (2012-2017)
- Social Work Education:The International Journal, Editorial Board Memebr (2012-2017)
- Southampton,Hampshire and Isle of Wight Social Work Education Network (SHIP/SWEN), Co-Chair (2012-)
- Making Safeguarding Personal University of Bedfordshire, Evaluating MSP policy and practice: Working with an HEI to evaluate impact, 27 Apr 2016, University of Bedfordshire
- Discourse, Power and Resistance Conference, Seen but Seldom Heard : pedagogic and therapeutic uses of creativity to explore perceptions and experiences of disability., 09 Apr 2013, Greenwich University
- Joint Social Work Education Conference JSWEC, Using creativity in social work research – connecting to create impact’, 22 Jul 2014, Royal Holloway College University of London
- Occupational Science In Europe Conference, Performance Poetry as a Method of participatory research for young people with disabilities’, 01 Sep 2015, Bournemouth UK
- Making Safeguarding Personal – Safeguarding Conference, Making Safeguarding Personal Gold Standard – Enfield Case Study’, 13 Apr 2016, University of Bedfordshire
- Joint Social Work Education Conference JSWEC, Sexuality and Well-being’, 13 Jul 2016, Open University Milton Keynes
- Ethics and Social Welfare in Hard Times, Wicked problems in Health and Social Care and the role of Ethical Leadership’, 01 Sep 2016, Euston London UK
- BU Global Festival of Learning ASEAN, Protecting yourself from Financial Scams, 25 Mar 2017, BINUS University, Jakarta, Indonesia
- IAGG Global Aging and Health Conference, Enhancing Cyber-Security for Older Adults: Research and Strategies in the UK, 23 Jul 2017, San Francisco
- BU Global Festival of Learning ASEAN, Responding to global threats from scams and cybercrime – the role of Global Education 2050, 02 May 2018, Foreign Trade University Hanoi Vietnam
- DProf in Further Education and Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- MSc in Social Work Studies (London School of Economics, University of London, 1988)
- PG Cert in Research Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- BA (Hons) in Psychology (University of Exeter, 1984)
- CQSW in Social Work (CCETSW, 1988)
- PhD in Exploring the Meaning of Home For Six baby Boomers (Bournemouth University Supervisors Dr Kip Jones and Dr Lee-Anne Fenge, 2015)
- Senior Fellowship (Higher Education Academy, 2016)
- HCPC, Member (2012-), http://www.hpc-uk.org/registrants/
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2016-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/individuals/fellowship