Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Lee-Ann is Professor of Social Care in the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences. She is a Registered Social Worker and has always been committed to advancing the professional evidence base of social care practitioners. Her research has focused on participatory and arts based methods to engage with seldom heard voices, and she is passionate about working in partnership with those who use health and social care services to create new knowledge to inform practice.
Her research includes participatory arts-based projects with older LGBT citizens, young people with disabilities, and homeless people. Most recently she has been working on a number of funded projects exploring the impact of financial scams on vulnerable groups,. This includes working on the development of a learning tool for community health professionals to widen understanding of the risks posed by financial scams and how best to support vulnerable victims. She is also working on a project exploring mail scams with the Royal Mail, and has recently gained HEIF funding to use gamification to support learning tool development for both practitioners and older people about financial scams...
She is currently a small research project exploring the impact of Brexit on the social care workforce.
She is keen to explore novel ways of developing practitioner understanding of practice issues.more
- Lee, S., Fenge, L.A. and Collins, B., 2018. Promoting sexual well-being in social work education and practice. Social Work Education, 37 (3), 315-327.
- Fenge, L.A., Jones, K. and Gibson, C., 2018. Meaningful dissemination produces the “long tail” that engenders community impact. Qualitative Research Journal, 18 (1), 45-54.
- Lee, S. and Fenge, L.A., 2017. Scamming: Recognising and supporting victims of financial abuse. Journal of Community Nursing, 31 (6), 59-63.
- Jones, K. and Fenge, L.-A., 2017. Gifted Stories: How well do we retell the stories that research participants give us? Creative Approaches to Research.
- Dickerson, E., Fenge, L.-A. and Rosenorn-Lanng, E., 2017. The impact of leadership development on GP mental health commissioning. LEADERSHIP IN HEALTH SERVICES, 30 (3), 343-351.
- Lee, S. and Fenge, L.-A., 2016. Sexual Well-Being and Physical Disability. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SOCIAL WORK, 46 (8), 2263-2281.
- Fenge, L., Oakely, L. and Bass, S., 2016. Exploring the complexities of understanding vulnerability and adult safeguarding within Christian Faith organisations. Journal of Adult Protection.
- Fenge, L.A., Hodges, C. and Cutts, W., 2016. Performance poetry as a method to understand disability. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung, 17 (2).
- Olivier, S., Burls, T., Fenge, L.-A. and Brown, K., 2016. Safeguarding adults and mass marketing fraud - Perspectives from the police, trading standards and the voluntary sector. JOURNAL OF SOCIAL WELFARE AND FAMILY LAW, 38 (2), 140-151.
- Turner, D., Bennison, G., Megele, C. and Fenge, L.-A., 2016. Social Work and Social Media: Best Friends or Natural Enemies? SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION, 35 (3), 241-244.
- Olivier, S., Burls, T., Fenge, L.-A. and Brown, K., 2015. "Winning and losing": vulnerability to mass marketing fraud. JOURNAL OF ADULT PROTECTION, 17 (6), 360-370.
- Hodges, C.E.M., Fenge, L.-A. and Cutts, W., 2014. Challenging Perceptions of Disability through Performance Poetry Methods: The "Seen but Seldom Heard" Project. Disability and Society.
- Hean, S., Staddon, S., Clapper, A., Fenge, L.A., Heaslip, V. and Jack, E., 2014. Improving collaborative practice to address offender mental health: criminal justice and mental health service professionals’ attitudes towards interagency training, current training needs and constraints,. Journal of Research in Interprofessional Practice and Education.
- Fenge, L.A., Hean, S., Staddon, S., Clapper, A., Heaslip, V. and Jack, E., 2014. Mental health and the criminal justice system: The role of interagency training to promote practitioner understanding of the diversion agenda. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 36 (1), 36-46.
- Fenge-Davies, L., 2013. Developing understanding of same sex partner bereavement for older lesbian and gay people: implications for social work practice,. Journal of Gerontological Social Work.
- Jones, K., Fenge, L.-A., Read, R. and Cash, M., 2013. Collecting Older Lesbians' and Gay Men's Stories of Rural Life in South West England and Wales: "We Were Obviously Gay Girls ... (So) He Removed His Cow From Our Field". Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 14 (2).
- Hean, S., Fenge, L.-A., Worswick, L., Wilkinson, C. and Fearnley, S., 2013. Keeping informed during times of economic down turn: the trusted amateur as a preferred source of financial information. Public Money and Management.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2012. Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Aging: Challenges in Research, Practice and Policy. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SOCIAL WORK, 42 (8), 1637-1639.
- Fenge, L.A., Hean, S., Worswick, L., Wilkinson, C., Fearnley, S. and Ersser, S., 2012. The impact of the economic recession on well-being and quality of life of older people. Health and Social Care in the Community, 20 (6), 617-624.
- Fenge, L.A., 2012. Economic Well-being and Ageing: The Need for Financial Education for Social Workers. Social Work Education, 31 (4), 498-511.
- Hean, S., Fenge, L.-A., Worswick, L., Wilkinson, C. and Fearnley, S., 2012. Intersectoral interagency partnerships to promote financial capability in older people. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 26 (5), 419-421.
- Fenge, L.-A., Hean, S., Worswick, L., Wilkinson, C. and Fearnley, S., 2012. The impact of the economic recession on wellbeing and quality of life of older people. Health and Social Care in the Community.
- Fenge, L.-A. and Jones, K., 2012. Gay and pleasant land? exploring sexuality, ageing and rurality in a multi-method, performative project. British Journal of Social Work, 42 (2), 300-317.
- Fenge, L.-A., Fannin, A. and Hicks, T., 2011. Co-production in scholarly activity: valuing the social capital of lay people and volunteers. Journal of Social Work.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2011. Enhancing the doctoral journey: the role of Group Supervision in supporting collaborative learning and creativity,. Studies in Higher Education.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2011. ‘A second chance at learning but it’s not quite higher education’: experience of a foundation degree. Journal of Further and Higher Education.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2011. Financial Education for Social Workers: older people and the recession,. Social Work Education.
- Warren, A., Thomas, G., Keen, S., Rutter, L., Fenge, L.-A. and Brown, K., 2011. ‘They’ve got it!’ – social work students’ understanding of service user and carer perspectives. Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work.
- Fenge, L. and Hicks, C., 2011. Hidden lives: the importance of recognizing the needs and experiences of older lesbians and gay men within healthcare practice,. Diversity in Health and Care, 8, 147-154.
- Fenge, L.-A., Hodges, C.E.M. and Cutts, W., 2011. Seen But Seldom Heard: Creative Participatory Methods in a Study of Youth and Risk. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 10, 418-430.
- Warren, A., Calvin Thomas, G., Keen, S., Rutter, L., Fenge, L.-A. and Brown, K., 2010. 'They've got it!' Social work students' understanding of service user and carer perspectives. Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work, 10, 45-58.
- Fenge, L.-A., Jones, K. and Read, R., 2010. Connecting participatory methods in a study of older lesbian and gay citizens in rural areas. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 9, 320-333.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2010. Sense and sensibility: making sense of a professional doctorate. Reflective Practice, 11 (5), 645-656.
- Fenge, L.-A., Fannin, A., Hicks, T., Armstrong, A. and Taylor, V., 2009. Lifting the Lid on sexuality and ageing: the voices of volunteer researchers. Qualitative Social Work, 8, 509-524.
- Fenge, L.-A. and Fannin, A., 2009. Sexuality and Bereavement: Implications for Practice with Older Lesbians and Gay Men. Practice: Social Work in Action, 21, 35-36.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2009. Diversity within the Health Service workforce: raising the aspirations of migrant housekeeping workers. Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 14, 19-29.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2008. Striving towards Inclusive Research: An Example of Participatory Action Research with Older Lesbians and Gay Men. British Journal of Social Work.
- Ward, R.J., River, L. and Fenge, L.-A., 2007. Neither Silent nor Invisible: A Comparison of Two Participative Projects Involving Older Lesbians and Gay Men in the United Kingdom. Journal of Gay & Lesbian Social Services, 20.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2006. Empowering older volunteers: learning to research. Research Policy and Planning, 24, 13-23.
- Brown, K., Fenge, L.-A. and Young, N., 2005. Researching reflective practice: an example from PQSW education. Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 10, 389-402.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2002. Practising partnership - participative enquiry with older people. Social Work Education, 21, 171-181.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2001. Empowerment and community care - projecting the voice of older people. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 23, 427-439.
- Fenge, L., Lee, S. and Brown, K., 2017. Safeguarding Adults Scamming and Mental Capacity. Learning Matters.
- Fenge, L.-A., Fannin, A., Hicks, T. and Lavin, N., 2008. Social Work Practice with Older Lesbians and Gay Men. Exeter, England: Learning Matters.
- Jones, K. and Fenge, L.-A., 2013. “Involving older gay men in research: the lure of group experience”. In: Pini, B. and Pease, B., eds. Men, Masculinities and Methodologies. London: Palgrave, 209-222.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2006. Promoting inclusiveness: developing empowering practice with minority groups of older people - the example of older lesbian women and gay men. In: Brown, K., ed. Vulnerable adults and community care. Exeter: Learning Matters, 83-90.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2006. Community care: assessing needs, risks and rights. In: Brown, K., ed. Vulnerable Adults and Community Care. Exeter: Learning Matters, 17-19.
- Cash, M. and Jones, K., 2013. “Interfacing with older LGBT citizens and challenging discrimination”. Two-day Masterclass. In: “Interfacing with older LGBT citizens and challenging discrimination”. Two-day Masterclass 17-18 April 2013 Bournemouth University.
- Fenge,L and Jones, K., 2010. Connecting participatory methods in a study of older lesbian and gay citizens in rural areas. In: 8th International Qualitative Health Conference 6-8 September 2010 Boutnemouth.
- Fenge, L., 2010. Exploring Sexuality, ageing and rurality: a discussion of research methodology. In: Joint Social Work Education Conference, 30 June-2 July 2010 University of Hertfortshire.
- Cutts, W., Hodges, C.E.M. and Fenge, L.-A., 2010. Connecting participatory methods in a study of youth and risk. In: Qualitative Research Conference 2010 6-8 September 2010 Bournemouth University.
- Jones, K., Fenge, L. and Read,R., 2009. ’Gay and Pleasant Land? ...’ (short film). In: LGBT Lives: Sexual/Gender Dissidence Over the Life Course (ESRC funded seminar series) University of Glasgow 16 May 2009 Glasgow.
- Fenge, L., 2008. ‘Don’t mention the FE Word: student and staff experiences of a FD in Health and Social Care’-. In: 7th Qualitative Research Conference 8-10 September 2008 Bournemouth.
- Fenge, L., 2008. ‘Striving towards Inclusive research’. In: 10th UK Joint Social Work Education Conference with the 2nd UK Social Work Research Conference 9-11 July 2008 Cambridge.
- Fenge, L., 2007. Professional Doctorates – a better route for researching professionals,. In: Joint Social Work Education Conference 11-13 July 2007 Swansea.
- Fenge, L., 2007. Diversity within the NHS workforce: raising the aspirations of migrant house-keeping workers, ,. In: FACE Conference - Social Justice and Lifelong Learning: Diversity: Globalisation: Transformation 2-4 July 2007 London.
- Fenge, L., 2006. ‘Inclusive Practice with Older Lesbians and Gay Men’ -. In: 6th International Qualitative Research Conference, 4-6 September 2006 Bournemouth.
- Brown, K. and Fenge, L.-A., 2005. Career Pathways - Continuum of Education through Certificated Building Blocks. In: Fragmentation or Integration? Maintaining workforce development and performance in Social Care - Learn to Care Annual Conference 18-19 April 2005 Bournemouth, England.
- Brown, K. and Fenge, L.-A., 2004. The regulation of post-qualifying social work - developing a competent work force. In: Socio-Legal Studies Association Conference April 2004 Glasgow.
- Brown, K., Fenge, L.-A. and Young, N., 2003. Reflective practice in post-qualifying social work education. In: Mindful Inquiry: 9th International Reflective Practice Conference 23-25 June 2003 Cambridge, UK.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2002. Participative inquiry and older people. In: Qualitative Research Conference in Health and Social Care September 2002 Bournemouth, UK.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2002. Social work and older people: challenging social exclusion through 'citizenship' and participation. In: International Schools of Social Work Conference 2002.
- Fenge, L.-A., 2001. Empowerment and community care: projecting the 'voice' of older people. In: Socio-Legal Studies Association (SLSA) Conference 4-6 April 2001 Bristol.
- Fenge, L.-A., Rosenorn-Lanng, E., Brown, K. and Wincewicz, S., 2015. Perceptions of the Health and Social Care Sector.. Bournemouth, UK: The National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work.
- Fenge, L.-A., Barrett, G., Wincewicz, S. and Brown, K., 2015. Making Safeguarding Personal Evaluation: London Borough of Enfield. Bournemouth: The National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work.
- Fenge, L.-A., Rosenorn-Lanng, E. and Brown, K., 2014. Rethinking Systemic Practice: An evaluation of the Basingstoke Children’s Services Pilot Model. Hampshire County Council. The National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work.. Bournemouth, UK: National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work and Professional Practice.
- Fenge, L.-A., Howe, K., Rosenorn-Lanng, E. and Brown, K., 2014. Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE) Evaluation.. Bournemouth, UK: The National Centre for Post-Qualifying Social Work.
- Hean, S., Worswick, L., Fenge, L.A., Wilkinson, C., Fearnley, S. and Ersser, S., 2013. Asset rich cash poor in the economic downturn: the financial challenges facing retired older people. Edinburgh: Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland.
- Innes, A., Barker, S., Board, M., Fenge, L.A. and Heaslip, V., 2012. Review of HEDN Curriculum for Dementia Education (CDE).. HEDN.
- Hean, S., Staddon, S., Clapper, A., Fenge, L.A., Heaslip, V. and Jack, E., 2012. Exploring the need for Interagency Training across the Criminal Justice and Mental Health Services.. Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Brown, K., Atkins, P., Warren, A., Bates, N., Keen, S. and Fenge, L.-A., 2008. Developing the active and informed participation of people who use services and carers in the design, delivery and assessment of learning and development provision for the social care workforce in the Skills for Care South West region.. Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Fenge, L. and Fenge-Davies, L., 2008. Realising potential? The challenges of widening participation for students, further education and higher education. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, School of Health and Social Care.
- Fenge, L., Brown, K., Johnson, R., Rosenorn-Lanng, E. and Wincewicz, S., 2016. Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults Against Financial Scams - Presentation at House of Commons. Bournemouth University. Unpublished.
- Fenge, L., Brown, K. and Johnson, R.. Home Alone - Loneliness is a major factor in making older people vulnerable to scams.
- Liz Davey. An exploration of women's experiences of wellbeing through attendance at aquanatal exercise, and the impact of peer support during pregnancy
- Promoting Dignity through understanding Narratives (Economic Social Research Council, 02 Nov 2013). Awarded
- Dementia Awareness Course (Royal Bournemouth Hospital, 01 May 2013). Completed
- The power of narrative and stories in enabling learning for professional practice (Higher Education Academy, 16 Apr 2013). Completed
- Ethics and Social Welfare, Editorial Board member (2014-2018)
- Southampton,Hampshire and Isle of Wight Social Work Education Network (SHIP/SWEN), Co-Chair (2012-)
- Social Work Education:The International Journal, Editorial Board Memebr (2012-2017)
- Social Work Education :The International Journal, Editorial Board Member (2012-2017)
- Making Safeguarding Personal University of Bedfordshire, Evaluating MSP policy and practice: Working with an HEI to evaluate impact, 27 Apr 2016, University of Bedfordshire
- PhD in Exploring the Meaning of Home For Six baby Boomers (Bournemouth University Supervisors Dr Kip Jones and Dr Lee-Anne Fenge, 2015)
- CQSW in Social Work (CCETSW, 1988)
- BA (Hons) in Psychology (University of Exeter, 1984)
- PG Cert in Research Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- MSc in Social Work Studies (London School of Economics, University of London, 1988)
- DProf in Further Education and Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- Senior Fellowship (Higher Education Academy, 2016)
- HCPC, Member (2012-), http://www.hpc-uk.org/registrants/
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2016-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/individuals/fellowship