Dr Sally Lee
- 01202 968117
- lees at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer In Social Science & Social Work
- Royal London House R401, Royal London House, Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH1 3LT
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Prior to taking on an academic role I spent over twenty years as a social worker with adults in a range of settings, developing professional expertise and personal skills throughout that time. This experience enhances my research and teaching activities and contributes to my approach to the fusion of education, research and professional practice. During my extensive career in social work I have gained experience in a variety of approaches to practice, ranging for example from care management to personalisation. This practical knowledge lends professional credibility to my teaching and offers students insights into the lived experience of practice which is characterised by change.
I have substantial experience of front-line practice, including managing a complex caseload which requires the ability to prioritise and maintain professionalism in often challenging situations. I am an experienced safeguarding investigator and can work effectively in situations of conflict and risk whilst promoting social work values focused on issues of social justice... My long social work career work means I have worked through periods of legislative and policy change, most recently with the implementation of the Care Act 2014 and personalised approaches to practice. This direct experience means my approach to education and research is underpinned by my professional values. Social work, like academia, requires the ability to manage multiple demands and my professional experience has given me skills which I now bring to an education setting.
I have always enjoyed learning and my career has woven together personal education and professional social work practice. I have been pleased to take opportunities to enhance my practice through further education, for example undertaking the BA (Hons) Community Care and Safeguarding Adults in 2009, which led on to my doctoral studies.more
- Lee, S., Fenge, L.A. and Collins, B., 2020. Disabled people’s voices on sexual well-being. Disability and Society, 35 (2), 303-325.
- Fenge, L., Melacca, D., Lee, S. and Rosenorn-Lanng, E., 2019. Older peoples’ preferences and challenges when using digital technology: a systematic review with particular reference to digital games. International Journal of Education and Ageing, 5 (1), 61-78.
- Fenge, L.A. and Lee, S., 2018. Understanding the Risks of Financial Scams as Part of Elder Abuse Prevention. British Journal of Social Work, 48 (4), 906-923.
- Lee, S., Fenge, L.A. and Collins, B., 2018. Promoting sexual well-being in social work education and practice. Social Work Education, 37 (3), 315-327.
- Lee, S. and Fenge, L.A., 2017. Scamming: Recognising and supporting victims of financial abuse. Journal of Community Nursing, 31 (6), 59-63.
- Stephen-Haynes, J., Bades, A., Lee, S. and Ellis, M., 2017. Can health and social care work together? Journal of Community Nursing, 31 (4), 8-10.
- Lee, S. and Fenge, L.A., 2016. Sexual well-being and physical disability. British Journal of Social Work, 46 (8), 2263-2281.
- Fenge, L., Lee, S. and Brown, K., 2017. Safeguarding Adults Scamming and Mental Capacity. Learning Matters.
- Lee, S., 2018. Sexual well-being and disability. In: Social Work and Sexualities 8-10 August 2018 Montreal University.
- Lee, S. and Collins, B., 2018. THE MEANING OF SEXUAL WELL-BEING TO PHYSICALLY DISABLED PEOPLE: IMPLICATIONS FOR PRACTICE. In: Royal College of Occupational Therapy 11-13 June 2018 Belfast. 19.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Social Work with Adults Unit. I have contributed to the delivery of both undergraduate and post-graduate social work programmes at BU for almost 10 years, firstly as a guest practitioner and latterly whilst working as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. I have enormously enjoyed the occasions when I have led sessions as well as those delivered in collaboration with colleagues across the department and faculty.I was delighted to have the opportunity to lead the Social Work with Adults unit with level 4 students from January to March 2018. I devised a new programme for the unit and created a ‘journey’ for the students taking them from an introduction to adult social work through to examples of practice in action, drawing from my professional experience and research, bringing my passion for social work to the classroom. The unit introduced the skills, knowledge and values essential for effective adult social work practice and was delivered in collaboration with a wide range of service user and practitioner guest speakers who brought experiential wisdom to the sessions. Feedback from the students has been extremely positive and every guest speaker commented that they would like to be involved again. Leading the unit has involved providing academic support and guidance but also pastoral care with the necessity of being sensitive to the challenges faced by adult learners.
- Gamification (Higher Education Funding Council for England, 01 Aug 2017). Awarded
- Mail Scams (Royal Mail, 01 Apr 2017). Awarded
- Developing learning tools for community nurses (Burdett Trust for Nursing, 01 Apr 2016). Completed
- Journal of Community Nursing, Editor (2013-)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Creative approaches to tackling Loneliness: Professor Lee-Ann Fenge and myself organised and contributed to a day with invited speakers from local and national organisations to consider creative ways of tackling loneliness
- The creation of a set of games designed to engage and inform diverse audiences in the research around financial abuse from scams. Three games were designed: Scams and Ladders, Spot the Scam and card sorting
- Professor Lee-Ann Fenge and myself organised, ran and contributed to a day focussed on financila abuse from scams with contributers from national organsiations
- Practitioners supporting sexual well-being. Social Work Action Network annual conference, ., Practitioners supporting sexual well-being., 08 Apr 2017, Middlesbrough University
- Joint Social Work Education and Research Conference (JSWEC)., Developing well-being theory in professional practice., 13 Jul 2016, The Open University, Milton Keynes
- Conference of Occupational Science in Europe, Sexual well-being in practice., 03 Sep 2015, Bournemouth University
- PhD in Social Sciences (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- BA (Hons) in Vulnerable Adults and Community Care (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- MSc in Social Sciences (Southampton University, 1993)
- PGCE in Religious education and learning support (Westminster College, Oxford, 1987)
- BA (Hons) in Theology (Westminster College, Oxford, 1986)