Dr Louise Oliver
- 01202 962016
- loliver at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Social Work
- Bournemouth Gateway Building BG501, St Pauls Lane, Bournemouth, BH8 8GP
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a lecturer with the social work team. I teach on both the qualifying and post-qualifying programmes. I am also, a qualified social worker who has predominantly worked in children's and families within local authorities. My interests are in family violence and abuse, particularly domestic violence, child-to-parent violence and abuse, familial problematic communication, with a focus upon secrets and secrecy. As well social work practice education, with a focus upon innovative pedagogical teaching tools and also critical reflection.
- Oliver, L., Stephens, C. and Shakespeare, S., 2022. Shhhh! Can You Keep a Secret?»: Reflecting upon the experience of working with «secret keepers» in social work. Relational Social Work, 6 (2), 71-84.
- Oliver, L., 2021. Child-to-Parent Violence and Abuse: why families need to open up when the nation locks down. The Sociological Observer, Remaking Social Futures through Biographic, Narrative and Lifecourse Approaches: Story-Making and Story-Telling in Pandemic Times (3), 61-67.
- Oliver, L. and Fenge, L.A., 2020. Child-to-Parent Violence and Abuse: Navigating the Ethical Line When Involving Children in Biographic Research. Ethics and Social Welfare, 14 (4), 443-450.
- Polkinghorne, M. et al., 2023. Fusion Learning Conference 2023 - Proceedings. Poole, Dorset, UK, BH12 5BB: Bournemouth University.
- Lee, S. and Oliver, L., 2023. Social Work Practice with Adults Learning from Lived Experience. SAGE.
- Harvey, O., 2023. Working with Substance Use. In: Oliver, L. and Lee, S., eds. Social Work Practice with Adults. Learning Matters.
- Lyne, M., 2023. Working with the Mental Capacity Act 2005. In: Lee, S. and Oliver, L., eds. Social work practice with adults: learning from lived experience. London: Learning Matters, 62-72.
- Oliver, L. and Lee, S., 2020. Working With Disabled Children and Young People. In: Parker, J. and Ashencaen Crabtree, S., eds. Human Growth and Development in Children and Young People Theoretical and Practice Perspectives. Policy Press.
- Harvey, O., Oliver, L. and Harvey, O., 2023. Themes arising from the Violence Against Women and Girls Conference: June 2023. Bournemouth University and Soroptimists' International.
- Jones, K., Thurston, J. and Oliver, L., 2019. Interview: Kip Jones talks about Biography, Auto-biography, and Creativity. Sage Publications MethodSpace. Available from: https://www.methodspace.com/interview-kip-jones-talks-about-biography-auto-biography-and-creativity/.
- Cooper, K., Oliver, L., Podee, M. and Thurston, J., 2018. The Personal Stories of a Methodology Study Group: An independent learning and support mechanism for postgrads. Method Space. Available from: https://www.methodspace.com/the-personal-stories-of-a-methodology-study-group/.
- Adele McMahon. Experience of Adolescent Parents in the Child Protection System
Profile of Teaching PG
- Previous Unit: Working with Risk and Complexity in Social Work
- Previous Units: Law, Social Policy, Values and Ethics in Social Work
- Social Work Practice Education: Enabling Work Based Learning
- Social Work in Practice Education: Supervising a Learner in Practice
- Parenting Capacity (Social Work Children and Families)
- The Childs Journey (Social Work Children and Families)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Working with Risk and Complexity in Social Work
- Previous Unit: Critical Literature Review
- Previous Unit: Working with Children and Families
- Research for Professional Practice (unit tutor)
- Using Game-based learning and Gamification to develop reflective practice in social work students and practitioners (BU ACORN Funding, 31 May 2021). Awarded
- Programme Lead for PG Dip and MA in social work (children and families), Social Work
- Year Lead for PG Dip and MA Social Work (children and families), Social Work Masters
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Child and Adolescent to parent violence and abuse: focusing on wellbeing (23 Nov 2023)
- Violence Against Women and Girls: Social Justice in Action (29 Jun 2023)
- Poetry (Haiku) and Critical Reflection (21 Mar 2023)
- The Joint Social Work Education and Research Conference, Using poetry (Haikus) to enhance critical reflection, 15 Jun 2023, Glasgow UK
- British Sociological Societies Auto/biography Christmas conference., “it’s not research, it’s just stories: An exploration into the triumphs and challenges of biographic research’. [film], 14 Dec 2018, London
- BSA A/B Group: Past and Present Lives, ‘Auto/biography: A short film: “It’s not research, it’s just stories”: an exploration into the challenges and triumphs of biographic research’, 07 Dec 2018, Friends House, London, UK
- BSA Auto-Biographical Study Group Summer Conference, Using the familiar to understand the unfamiliar., 19 Jul 2018, Oxford University
- PhD in Child-to-parent violence and abuse (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- PG Diploma in Social Work (Step Up To Social Work (BU), 2017)
- MA in Practice Development (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- Associate Supervisor Award (UK Council for Graduate Education, 2023)
- HEA, Senior Fellow,