Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Nicola De Martini Ugolotti is lecturer in Sport and Physical Activity at Bournemouth University, and member of Associazione Frantz Fanon in Turin, Italy. He completed his PhD in Physical Cultural Studies at the University of Bath, after a MSc in Medical Anthropology at the University of Amsterdam, and several years of professional activity as a clinical psychologist with migrants, refugees and asylum seekers in Italy.
His interdisciplinary research focuses on the reciprocal constitution of body, space, power and subjectivity in contemporary contexts of migration, uneven urban (re)development, and social exclusion. His work has been published in Leisure Studies and Patterns of Prejudice.
- Owen, C. and De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2017. ‘Pra homem, menino e mulher’?: Problematizing the gender inclusivity discourse in capoeira. International Review for the Sociology of Sport.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2017. ‘We are rolling and vaulting tonight’: sport programmes, urban regeneration and the politics of parkour in Turin, Italy. International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics, 1-16.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2016. ‘If I climb a wall of ten meters’: capoeira, parkour and the politics of public space among (post)migrant youth in Turin, Italy. Patterns of Prejudice, 50 (2), 188-206.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2015. Climbing walls, making bridges: children of immigrants’ identity negotiations through capoeira and parkour in Turin. Leisure Studies, 34 (1), 19-33.
- "Here to Play": Exploring the Role of Leisure in Forced Migrants' Negotiations of Place, Belonging and Uncertainty in Post-Brexit Bristol. (Leisure Studies Association, 18 Dec 2017). In Progress
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Festival of Learning 2018, Public Talk. "Here to Play": forced migrants, music and belonging
- Mobilising Change: Creative and Critical Leisure Practices in the Post-Disciplinary Era, "Here to Play": Musicality, dance and forced migrants' negotiations of place, belonging and uncertainty in Bristol, 10 Jul 2018, University of Bath
- 13th Conference of the European Sociological Association, Contested Bodies in a Regenerating City: Post-Migrant Youth's Disputed Leisure and Contingent Citizenship in Turin, 28 Aug 2017, Athens
- Leisure Studies Association, Leeds, 4th-6th July 2017, Post-Migrant youth, parkour and the (contested) containment of difference in urban spaces of leisure, 04 Jul 2017, Leeds
- From Contested Cities to Global Urban Justice, CONTESTED BODIES, CONTESTED CITIES: (POST)MIGRANT YOUTH, CONTINGENT CITIZENSHIP AND THE POLITICS OF CAPOEIRA AND PARKOUR IN TURIN, ITALY, 04 Jul 2016, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Spain)
- Associazione Frantz Fanon, Torino, Clinical Psychologist; Social Reseacher (2007-), http://associazionefanon.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=it
- European Sociological Association, Member (2017-),
- Leisure Studies Association, Member,