Dr Nicola De Martini Ugolotti
- 01202 961302
- ndemartiniugolotti at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Sport
- Dorset House D224, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Nicola De Martini Ugolotti is senior lecturer in Sport and Physical Culture at Bournemouth University, and member of Associazione Frantz Fanon in Turin, Italy. He completed his PhD in Physical Cultural Studies at the University of Bath, after a MSc in Medical Anthropology at the University of Amsterdam, and several years of professional activity as a clinical psychologist with migrants, refugees and asylum seekers in Italy. His interdisciplinary research focuses on leisure and expressive forms of physicality (from capoeira and parkour, to dance and music-making) as lenses to address the reciprocal constitution of bodies, spaces, power and subjectivities in contemporary contexts of (forced) migration, uneven urban changes, and social exclusion. Nicola is member of the editorial boards of the Leisure Studies and Sociology of Sport journals and his work has been published in journals/books across leisure, urban and migration studies, sociology of sport and cultural geography. Nicola is available to supervise postgraduate and doctoral students in the areas of:...
leisure, sport and (forced) migration;
post-colonial and de-colonial perspectives on leisure and sport;
leisure, physical culture and urban spaces;
leisure, sport, intersecting inequalities and climate change.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
Sustainable cities and communities
"Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable"
- De Martini Ugolotti, N. and Genova, C., 2023. Parkour, Graffiti, and the Politics of (In)Visibility in Aestheticized Cityscapes. Space and Culture.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N. and Webster, C., 2023. Sites of intensity: leisure and emotions amid the necropolitics of asylum. Leisure Studies.
- Bortolotti, A., Fullagar, S., Mora, B., Ni Shuilleabhain, N., De Martini Ugolotti, N., Bueno, A.X., Donato, A., Galak, E. and Tonelli, L., 2022. More-than-human Perspectives on Physical Activity, Health and Education. Revista Saude Em Redes, 8 (3), 513-527.
- Del Gobbo, A., De Fazio, G., Panico, C., Fernandez Vaz, A., Galak, E., Bueno, A.X., De Martini Ugolotti, N., Donato, A. and Tonelli, L., 2022. Cartographies of the Body in Pandemic Times. Revista Saude em Redes, 8 (3), 493-511.
- Spaaij, R., Luguetti, C. and De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2022. Forced migration and sport: an introduction. Sport in Society, 25 (3), 405-417.
- Kataria, M. and De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2022. Running for inclusion: responsibility, (un)deservingness and the spectacle of integration in a sport-for-refugees intervention in Geneva, Switzerland. Sport in Society, 25 (3), 602-618.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2022. Contested bodies in a regenerating city: post-migrant men’s contingent citizenship, parkour and diaspora spaces. Leisure Studies.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2021. The productive turbulence and unresolved questions of 'new' materialist approaches to sport, leisure and physical culture. LEISURE STUDIES, 40 (3), 438-440.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2020. Music-making and forced migrants’ affective practices of diasporic belonging. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 1-18.
- Owen, C. and De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2019. ‘Pra homem, menino e mulher’? Problematizing the gender inclusivity discourse in capoeira. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 54 (6), 691-710.
- Ugolotti, N.D.M., 2019. Parkour, leisure and neoliberal cityscapes: a two-book review. LEISURE STUDIES, 38 (4), 568-572.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N. and Silk, M., 2018. Parkour, counter-conducts and the government of difference in post-industrial Turin. City, 22 (5-6), 763-781.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2017. ‘We are rolling and vaulting tonight’: sport programmes, urban regeneration and the politics of parkour in Turin, Italy. International Journal of Sport Policy, 9 (1), 25-40.
- Ugolotti, N.D.M. and Moyer, E., 2016. If I climb a wall of ten meters: Capoeira, parkour and the politics of public space among (post) migrant youth in Turin, Italy. Patterns of Prejudice, 50 (2), 188-206.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2015. Climbing walls, making bridges: children of immigrants’ identity negotiations through capoeira and parkour in Turin. Leisure Studies, 34 (1), 19-33.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N. and Caudwell, J., 2021. Leisure and Forced Migration Lives Lived in Asylum Systems. Routledge.
- Ugolotti, N.D.M. and Caudwell, J., 2021. Leisure and Forced Migration: Lives Lived in Asylum Systems.
- Collison, C. and De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2021. Pain and Faith: An Intersectional-Phenomenological Exploration of Syrian Muslim Refugee Women’s Experiences of Yoga and Resettlement in Sweden. In: Caudwell, J., ed. Leisure and Forced Migration: Lives Lived in Asylum Systems. Routledge.
- Collison, C. and De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2021. Pain, faith and yoga: An intersectional-phenomenological perspective on Syrian Muslim women's experiences of resettlement in Sweden. Leisure and Forced Migration: Lives Lived in Asylum Systems. 121-138.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N. and Caudwell, J., 2021. Leisure and Forced Migration: Lives Lived in Asylum Systems (Introduction). Leisure and Forced Migration: Lives Lived in Asylum Systems. Routledge.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2019. Corpi e città contese: studi culturali del corpo e trasformazioni urbane. In: Donato, A., Tonelli, L. and Galak, E., eds. Le Pieghe del Corpo. Mimesis.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2018. “No sleep'till Parco Dora”: Parkour ei paradossi di una città rigenerata, tra eterotopie e governo della differenza. In: Capello, C. and Semi, G., eds. Torino: Un profilo etnografico. Milano: Meltemi.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N. and Silk, M., 2017. Post-Migrant youth, parkour and the (contested) containment of difference in urban spaces of leisure. In: Leisure Studies Association 4-6 July 2017 Leeds.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2023. Sport, refugees, and forced migration - why it is important to look beyond the headlines. Linkedin. Available from: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sport-refugees-forced-migration-look%3FtrackingId=iBMFwTS6Thm6hoK%252Fpymfdg%253D%253D/?trackingId=iBMFwTS6Thm6hoK%2Fpymfdg%3D%3D.
- De Martini Ugolotti, N., 2020. "We Are in This Together": Covid-19, The Politics of Emotions and the Borders of Humanity. Available from: https://discoversociety.org/2020/04/08/we-are-in-this-together-covid-19-the-politics-of-emotions-and-the-borders-of-humanity/.
- Jordan Cotton, 2018. MRes: "The East End is the new West End": London 2012 and resident experiences of the urban changes in a post-Olympic Landscape
- Edward Loveman. Land of Hope and Glory: An Ethnographic Study on Englishness, Imperialism and Sports Mega Events Audiences, (In progress)
Migrant youth, leisure and urban citizenship, University of Turin, Italy, 10 Apr 2019 more
Invited Lecture at the University of Turin, Italy, Department of Culture, Politics, and Society
Embodying mobility, emplacing change, Università di Bologna, 20 Mar 2018 more
Associazione Italiana Sociologia Seminar cycle
Geographies of the body: space, power, practice, Università di Bologna, 18 Feb 2018 more
Research Seminar: "What a body can do? Epistemologies of/from the body"
(Post)Migrant Youth and the City, University of Amsterdam, 22 Sep 2016 more
Department of Anthropology
- Leisure and Forced Migration: Reframing Critical Analyses of Practices, Sociabilities and Lives Lived in the Asylum System (Leisure Studies Association. Maureen Harrington Fund, 10 Jan 2019). Completed
- Climbing Walls, Making Bridges: Capoeira, Parkour and Children of Immigrants' Identity Negotiations in Turin's Public Spaces (University of Bath, 01 Oct 2018). Completed
- "Here to Play": Exploring the Role of Leisure in Forced Migrants' Negotiations of Place, Belonging and Uncertainty in Post-Brexit Bristol. (Leisure Studies Association, 18 Dec 2017). Completed
- Leisure Studies Journal, Editorial Board Member (2022-), https://www.tandfonline.com/journals/rlst20; Leisure Studies Journal
- Sociology of Sport Journal, Editorial board member (2022-), https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/ssj/ssj-overview.xml?tab_body=editorial-board; Sociology of Sport Journal
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Post published on sociological dissemination website discover society (https://discoversociety.org) (08 Apr 2020)
- Festival of Learning 2018, Public Talk. "Here to Play": forced migrants, music and belonging (20 Jun 2018-20 Jul 2018)
- Leisure Studies Association Annual Conference 2019, Parkour, graffiti and the politics of (in)visibility in the leisure-oriented city, 09 Jul 2019, Abertay University, Dundee, Scotland
- Challenging Social Hierarchies and Inequalities, “Here to play”: Music-making and forced migrants' embodied practices of diasporic belonging, 24 Apr 2019, Glasgow Caledonian University
- Mobilising Change: Creative and Critical Leisure Practices in the Post-Disciplinary Era, "Here to Play": Musicality, dance and forced migrants' negotiations of place, belonging and uncertainty in Bristol, 10 Jul 2018, University of Bath
- 13th Conference of the European Sociological Association, Contested Bodies in a Regenerating City: Post-Migrant Youth's Disputed Leisure and Contingent Citizenship in Turin, 28 Aug 2017, Athens
- Leisure Studies Association, Leeds, 4th-6th July 2017, Post-Migrant youth, parkour and the (contested) containment of difference in urban spaces of leisure, 04 Jul 2017, Leeds
- From Contested Cities to Global Urban Justice, CONTESTED BODIES, CONTESTED CITIES: (POST)MIGRANT YOUTH, CONTINGENT CITIZENSHIP AND THE POLITICS OF CAPOEIRA AND PARKOUR IN TURIN, ITALY, 04 Jul 2016, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Spain)
- PhD in Physical Cultural Studies (University of Bath, Department of Health, 2016)
- MSc in Medical Anthropology (University of Amsterdam, 2011)
- BSc (Hons) in Clinical Psychology (University of Turin, Italy, 2007)
- Research Excellence Visiting Scientist Award (University of Turin, Italy, 2019)
- European Sociological Association, Member (2017-),
- Associazione Frantz Fanon, Torino, Clinical Psychologist; Social Reseacher (2007-), http://associazionefanon.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=it
- Leisure Studies Association, Member,
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @nicolademarti12