Dr Jayne Caudwell
- 01202 968716
- jcaudwell at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Professor of Events and Leisure
- Dorset House D201, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Jayne's work experiences include:
Non-academic employment: Recreation Assistant, Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames, 1989-1990 Recreation Officer, London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, 1990-1991
Academic appointments: Lecturer, Barking College of FE, 1991-1994 Lecturer, University of Wolverhampton, 1994-1996 PT Lecturer, London Metropolitan University, 1996-1998 Senior Lecturer, Leeds Metropolitan University, 1999-2003 Principal Lecturer, Reader, University of Brighton, 2004-2015 Visiting Scholar, University of Waikato, NZ, 2010-2011 Associate Professor, Bournemouth University, 2015-present
- Caudwell, J., 2018. Configuring human rights at EuroPride 2015. Leisure Studies, 37 (1), 49-63.
- Caudwell, J. and McGee, D., 2018. From promotion to protection: human rights and events, leisure and sport. Leisure Studies, 37 (1), 1-10.
- Caudwell, J. and Sugden, J., 2017. "You should see me on the inside": Researching the post-stroke mental health of a male professor of sport. Sociology of Sport Journal, 34 (2), 176-182.
- Silk, M., Caudwell, J. and Gibson, H., 2017. Views on leisure studies: pasts, presents & future possibilities? Leisure Studies, 36 (2), 153-162.
- Rinehart, R.E. and Caudwell, J., 2017. Sport-War Cartoon Art. Media, War and Conflict.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. ‘Feeling blue’: the ordinary pleasures of mundane motion. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 7 (3), 309-320.
- Caudwell, J., 2014. [Transgender] young men: gendered subjectivities and the physically active body. Sport, Education and Society, 19 (4), 398-414.
- Caudwell, J. and Rinehart, R.E., 2014. Liminoidal spaces and the moving body: Emotional turns. Emotion, Space and Society, 12 (1), 1-3.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. Theorising women’s sport participation: debating sport feminisms. Psychology of Women Section Review, 14, 4-9.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. Jazzwomen: Music, sound, gender, and sexuality. Annals of Leisure Research, 15 (4), 389-403.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. The new politics of leisure and pleasure. LEISURE STUDIES, 31 (4), 505-506.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Gender, feminism and football studies. Soccer and Society, 12 (3), 330-344.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Reviewing UK football cultures: Continuing with gender analyses. Soccer and Society, 12 (3), 323-329.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Sport feminism(s): Narratives of linearity? Journal of Sport and Social Issues, 35 (2), 111-125.
- Caudwell, J. and Browne, K., 2011. Sexy spaces: Geography and leisure intersectionalities. Leisure Studies, 30 (2), 117-122.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. ?Does your boyfriend know you?re here?? The spatiality of homophobia in men?s football culture in the UK. Leisure Studies, 30, 123-138.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Space, place, and sex: geographies of sexualities. LEISURE STUDIES, 30 (2), 257-261.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. 'Easy, Oar!': Rowing reflections. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 3 (2), 117-129.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Football fixtures: Highbury vs. Hackney Marshes. Soccer and Society, 12 (1), 94-95.
- Caudwell, J., 2010. The jazz-sport analogue: Passing notes on gender and sexuality. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 45 (2), 240-248.
- Caudwell, J., 2009. Girlfight and Bend it like Beckham: Screening women, sport, and sexuality. Journal of Lesbian Studies, 13 (3), 255-271.
- Caudwell, J., 2008. Girlfight: Boxing women. Sport in Society, 11 (2-3), 227-239.
- Caudwell, J., 2008. Risky Pleasures? Club Cultures and Feminine Identities. LEISURE STUDIES, 27 (1), 105-106.
- Caudwell, J., 2007. Queering the field? The complexities of sexuality within a lesbian-identified football team in England. Gender, Place and Culture, 14 (2), 183-196.
- Caudwell, J., 2006. Women Playing Football at Clubs, in England, with Socio-Political Associations. Soccer and Society, 7, 423-438.
- Scraton, S., Caudwell, J. and Holland, S., 2005. 'Bend it like patel': Centring 'race', ethnicity and gender in feminist analysis of women's football in England. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 40 (1), 71-88.
- Caudwell, J., 2003. Sporting Gender: Women's Footballing Bodies as Sites/Sights for the (Re) Articulation of Sex, Gender, and Desire. Sociology of Sport Journal, 20 (4), 371-386.
- Caudwell, J., 2002. Women?s Experiences of Sexuality within Football Contexts: A Particular and Located Footballing Epistemology. Football Studies, 5, 24-45.
- Caudwell, J., 1999. Women's football in the United Kingdom: Theorizing gender and unpacking the butch lesbian image. Journal of Sport and Social Issues, 23 (4), 390-402.
- Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B. and Watson, B., 2017. The palgrave handbook of feminism and sport, leisure and physical education.
- Pringle, R., Rinehart, R.E. and Caudwell, J., 2015. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure.
- Caudwell, J. and Browne, K., 2013. Sexualities, spaces and leisure studies. Routledge.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. Women’s football in the UK: continuing with gender analyses. Routledge.
- Caudwell, J., Andrews, H., Hackett, P., Meadows, M. and Selby, M., 2009. Tourism and Leisure: Local Communities and Local Cultures in the UK. Leisure Studies Association.
- Caudwell, J., Redhead, S.C. and Tomlinson, A., 2008. Relocating the Leisure Society: Media, Consumption and Spaces. Leisure Studies Association.
- Magee, J., Caudwell, J., Liston, K. and Scraton, S., 2007. Women, football and Europe: histories, equity and experience. Meyer & Meyer.
- Caudwell, J., 2006. Sport, Sexualities and Queer/Theory. Taylor & Francis.
- Bramham, P. and Caudwell, J., 2005. Sport, active leisure and youth cultures. Leisure Studies Association.
- Caudwell, J., 2017. Everyday Sexisms: Exploring the Scales of Misogyny in Sport. In: Kilvington, D. and Price, J., eds. Sport and Discrimination. London: Routledge, 61-76.
- Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B. and Watson, B., 2017. Introduction: Feminist thinking, politics and practice in sport, leisure and physical education. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 1-15.
- Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B., Watson, B. and Mansfield, L., 2017. Feminist theories of sport, leisure and physical education. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 353-356.
- Caudwell, J., Mansfield, L., Watson, B. and Wheaton, B., 2017. Feminist praxis in sport, leisure and physical education. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 723-727.
- Wheaton, B., Watson, B., Mansfield, L. and Caudwell, J., 2017. Feminist epistemologies, methodologies and method. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 203-208.
- Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B. and Watson, B., 2017. Contemporary feminist issues in sport, leisure and physical education. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 517-522.
- Watson, B., Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J. and Wheaton, B., 2017. Challenges and transformations in women’s leisure, sport and physical education movements. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 19-23.
- Caudwell, J. and Englefield, L., 2017. Pride sports and lou englefield interview date: 31 march 2016. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 729-737.
- Caudwell, J., 2017. Sporting events, the trafficking of women for sexual exploitation and human rights. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 537-556.
- Caudwell, J., 2016. Football and misogyny. Routledge Handbook of Football Studies. 304-313.
- Kipnis, H. and Caudwell, J., 2015. The boxers of Kabul: women, boxing and Islam. In: Channon, A. and Matthews, C.R., eds. Global perspectives on women in combat sports: women warriors around the world. Palgrave Macmillan, 41-56.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. Sexualities and sport. Routledge Handbook of the Sociology of Sport. 240-250.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. 'I just love watching football'. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure. 133-150.
- Pringle, R., Rinehart, R.E. and Caudwell, J., 2015. Proem: Sport and the social significance of pleasure. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure. 1-11.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. Running for pleasures. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure. 97-115.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. Studying sport, feminism and pleasure. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure. 64-79.
- Roy, G. and Caudwell, J., 2014. Women and surfing spaces in Newquay, UK. In: Hargreaves, J. and Anderson, E., eds. Routledge handbook of sport, gender and sexuality. Routledge.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. Rowing/sculling, British Isles. In: Nauright, J. and Parrish, C., eds. Sports around the world: history, culture, and practice. ABC-CLIO, 169-170.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Sex watch: surveying women’s sexed and gendered bodies at the Olympics. In: Sugden, J. and Tomlinson, A., eds. Watching the Olympics. Routledge, 151-164.
- Caudwell, J., 2009. Queer-in the sociology of sport. The Ashgate Research Companion to Queer Theory. 219-236.
- Caudwell, J., Redhead, S.C. and Tomlinson, A., 2008. Relocating the Leisure Society: Editors’ introduction. In: Caudwell, J., Redhead, S.C. and Tomlinson, A., eds. Relocating the Leisure Society: Media, Consumption and Spaces. Leisure Studies Association, v-xi.
- Caudwell, J., 2008. Critically Queer: Possibilities for a Sport Studies of the Body. In: Tomlinson, A. and Woodham, J., eds. Image, Power and Space: Studies in Consumption and Identity. Meyer and Meyer, 83-96.
- Caudwell, J., 2008. Girlfight: Boxing Women. In: Poulton, E. and Roderick, M., eds. Introducing Sport in Films. Routledge.
- Caudwell, J., 2007. Hackney Women’s Football Club: Lesbian United? In: Magee, J., Liston, K. and Scraton, S., eds. Women, Football and Europe: Histories, Equity and Experience Vol 1. Meyer & Meyer, 64-84.
- Caudwell, J., 2007. On Shifting Sands: The Complexities of Women’s and Girls’ Involvement in Football for Peace. In: Sugden, J. and Wallis, J., eds. Football for Peace: Teaching and Playing Sport for Conflict Resolution in the Middle East. Meyer & Meyer, 97-112.
- Caudwell, J., 2006. Femme-fatale: Re-thinking the femme-inine. Sport Sexualities and Queer/Theory. 145-158.
- Caudwell, J., 2006. Introduction. 1-9.
- Caudwell, J., 2004. ’Out on the field of play: women’s experiences of gender and sexuality in football contexts’. In: Wagg, S., ed. British football and social exclusion. Taylor and Francis Group, 127-146.
- Caudwell, J., 2004. Tipping the Velvet: Straight[forward] Voyeurism? Problematising the Viewing of Lesbianism. In: Kennedy, E. and Thornton, A., eds. Leisure, Media and Visual Culture: Representations and Contestations. Leisure Studies Association, 227-249.
- Caudwell, J., 2000. Football in the UK: women, tomboys, butches and lesbians. In: Scraton, S. and Watson, B., eds. Sport, Leisure Identities and Gendered Spaces. Leisure Studies Association, 95-110.
- Caudwell, J., 1998. Sex and politics: sites of resistance in women’s football. In: Aitchison, C. and Jordan, F., eds. Gender, space and identity: leisure, culture and commerce.. Leisure Studies Association, 151-161.
- Caudwell, J., Mansfield, L., Wheaton, B. and Watson, R., 2017. New Premier League season begins … but child abuse scandal hangs heavy over football,. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/new-premier-league-season-begins-but-child-abuse-scandal-hangs-heavy-over-football-75335.
- Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B. and Watson, R., 2017. Sportswomen still face sexism, but feminism can help achieve a level playing field. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/sportswomen-still-face-sexism-but-feminism-can-help-achieve-a-level-playing-field-76748.
- Stewart, C. and Caudwell, J., 2017. Vicious cycle: the ‘troublemakers’ tackling sexism in elite sport. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/vicious-cycle-the-troublemakers-tackling-sexism-in-elite-sport-75687.
- Noreen Orr. Heritage, leisure and identity in museum volunteering
- Georgina Roy. Feminism in 'new' sporting spaces: gender, subjectivity and the female surfer in Britain
- Hillary Kipnis. Occupation, Resistance and Unbreakable Spirit: A Study on the Meaning of Sport and Physical Activity in the Lives of Palestinian Women
Football in the UK, LGBTQ participation, Victoria University, Australia, 28 Sep 2010 more
Keynote Presentation: Football in the UK, LGBTQ participation. The Worlds of Football International Conference. Victoria University, Australia (2010)
The Justin Campaign. LGBT: Are we Living Equally?, Chester, UK, 13 Feb 2012 more
Keynote Presentation: The Justin Campaign. LGBT: Are we Living Equally? Diversity Festival, University of Chester, UK (2012)
LGBT Sport, Campaigning for Change, University of Southern California, USA, 23 Oct 2013 more
Invited Speaker: Senior Scholars Panel: LGBT Sport, Campaigning for Change. Annenberg Institute of Sports, Media & Society Conference: Sport & The LGBT Experience. University of Southern California, USA (2013)
Turning to feminist & feminist-queer methodologies, Loughborough University, 02 Sep 2014 more
Keynote Presentation: Turning to feminist & feminist-queer methodologies. 4th International Conference on Qualitative Research in Sport & Exercise: “Turning point moments in the field”. Loughborough University (2014)
Exploring the scales of misogyny in sport, University of Sunderland, 01 May 2015 more
Keynote Presentation: Exploring the scales of misogyny in sport. Sport and Discrimination Conference. University of Sunderland (2015)
A tale of two football cultures: HWFC v FA Women’s, Antalya, Turkey, 03 Nov 2016 more
Invited Panelist: A tale of two football cultures: HWFC v FA Women’s. 14th International Sport Sciences Congress, Antalya, Turkey (2016)
Transgender and non-binary peoples' moving bodies, Northumbria University, 11 Apr 2018 more
Communi-T Swim: Transgender and non-binary peoples' moving bodies, invited paper in Culture, Sport, Media and Food Stream at British Sociological Association. Annual Conference, Northumbria University, UK
- We Love EU: Migrant and refugee leisure spaces and community well-being post Brexit (quality-related research (QR) funding, 01 Mar 2017). Completed
- F4P V Homophobia: Celebrating 5 yrs. of student-led community action (University of Brighton ECHO Grant (Excellence, Community and Heritage Opportunity), 01 Jun 2015). Completed
- Understanding the potential of informal and lifestyle sports (Economic and Social Research Council, 01 Jul 2014). Completed
- Rapid topic overview on physical activity among LGBT communities in England, (Public Health England, 01 Mar 2014). Completed
- Being in the Zone: the Importance of Culture to Peak Performance in Sport, Arts and Work (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 01 Jun 2012). Completed
- Taking a Stand: Sport and Sexualities (University of Brighton, 01 Jan 2012). Completed
- LGBT youth, school sport, health & well-being (University of Brighton, 01 Feb 2011). Completed
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Invited panellist at LGBT History Month public lecture, Cambridge University,
- Invited speaker at Conte[s/x]ting Sport community event, Split, Croatia
- Invited speaker at Lewes Men's Prison: Anti-homophobia workshop & event, UK
- Invited speaker at Student’s Unions 2011 National Conference, Leeds, UK,
- Invited speaker at London Olympics: What’s in it for Women? The Women and Planning Forum, London, UK
- Invited speaker at Winchester Men's Prison: Anti-homophobia workshop & event, UK
- Leisure, Culture and Commerce, Sex and politics: Resistance and acceptance in women’s football., 09 Sep 1997, Roehampton Institution, UK
- Women, Policy and Politics, Late nineteenth century and twentieth century images of the female footballer: Sites of resistance, gender and sexuality, 14 Jul 1997, University of London, UK
- Queer Games? Theories, Politics, Sports, The cultural arena of women’s football in the UK: A sport space for lesbian gender?, 29 Jul 1998, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- The Big Ghetto. Gender, Sexuality and Leisure., Sportswomen’s sexuality: Exclusive design of the self?, 16 Jul 1998, Leeds Metropolitan University, UK
- Gendered Spaces: Women’s Choices and Constraints, Women who play football: Is there a space for lesbian gender?, 14 Jul 1998, University of Hull, UK
- Pre-Olympic Congress., Embodying masculinity? The experiences of women footballers in the UK, 07 Sep 2000, Brisbane, Australia
- Journeys in Leisure. Current and Future Alliances, Feminist epistemological approaches to the study of gender and sexuality., 17 Jul 2001, University of Luton, UK
- Out from the Centre. Queer Studies Conference, Football in the UK: [non] Queering the pitch and [gender] marking players., 29 Nov 2002, Newcastle, Australia
- Beyond Sex and Gender: The Future of Women’s Studies?, Sporting gender: Women’s footballing bodies as sites/sights for the (re)materialisation of sex, gender and desire., 19 Sep 2002, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Leisure and Visual Culture, Tipping the Velvet. Straight[forward] Voyeurism? Problematising the viewing of lesbian bodies and lesbian pleasure, 08 Jul 2003, Roehampton University, UK
- Sport and Social Order: Challenges for Theory and Practice, Exploring ‘Race’, Ethnicity and Gender: The Experiences of Black and South Asian Women Footballers, 18 Jun 2003, German Sport University Cologne, Germany
- Interdisciplinary Dialogues, The Femme and Football: Queering Femininity, Queering Football?, 03 Nov 2004, Tucson, USA
- Re-Imagining Community. Re-Envisioning Sport, The Global Games: Israel, Football for Peace and Gender, 01 Nov 2006, Vancouver, Canada
- Media, Communications and Cultural Studies, Sporting Bodies, Identities and the Reproduction of Difference. Girlfight – The film, 09 Jan 2008, Cardiff, Wales
- Sport and Peace/Social (in)Justice., Girlfight and Bend it Like Beckham: The fights for equal rights…, 05 Nov 2008, Denver, USA
- Sexy Spaces: Leisure and Geography, Tenor Madness: Jazz and the containment of women saxophonists, 22 May 2009, Brighton, UK
- Leisure Experiences, Participating, Planning, Providing, Jazzwomen: Notes on gender., 07 Jul 2009, Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
- Sport and Bodily Culture in Hard Times, Jazz-Sport Analogies: The Aesthetics of Gender and Sexuality, 04 Nov 2009, Ottawa, Canada
- Transforming Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Lives Conference Activism and Research for Gender and Sexual Liberation, Homophobia in UK football and The Justin Campaign, 15 Sep 2010, Brighton, UK
- Contemporary Ethnography Across the Disciplines, Physical (and Cultural) Capital and Whiteness – The Case of Rowing, 16 Nov 2010, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Leisure in Transition: People, Policy and Places, The Justin Campaign: Homophobia, Football, Education and Art, 05 Jul 2011, Southampton Solent University
- Sport and the Winds of Change International Society for Sociology of Sport Annual Conference, Surfing sexualities: queer-feminist theory and UK surf space, 10 Jul 2011, Havana, Cuba
- Sport and the Winds of Change International Society for Sociology of Sport Annual Conference, The Justin Campaign: Football, sexualities and gender politics, 10 Jul 2011, Havana, Cuba
- Congress of Qualitative Inquiry,, United we stand, divided we fall: Campaigning for change, 17 May 2011, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Leisure, Living, Learning: Education in Sport, Tourism and the Outdoors, Young Transgender People and Sport/Physical Activity, 17 Jul 2012, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Sport in Place, Running for Pleasures., 07 Nov 2012, New Orleans, USA
- Contemporary Ethnography Across the Disciplines., The pleasures of mundane movement, 20 Nov 2012, Aotearoa/New Zealand
- Contemporary Ethnography Across the Disciplines., Community University Partnership Projects (CUPP), 20 Nov 2012, Aotearoa/New Zealand
- 2nd Annual Football and Community, “… But he wasn’t used to players who went to what he described as ‘puffs’ clubs”: Intersections of race, gender and sexuality in English football, 13 Jun 2013, Manchester, UK
- Third Visual Methods Conference: Visual Methods in Mediated Environments: Connecting Diverse Worlds, Sport-War Cartoon Art., 02 Sep 2013, Aotearoa/New Zealand
- The Sporting Arena: Academics, Activists and Activism[s]., Activism, intervention and academic-student collaboration on campus: Fighting homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in/through football, 05 Nov 2014, Portland, Oregon
- Political Studies Association, Sport, Politics & Social Justice, Sexual Exploitation, Sex Work and Sports Events, 04 Mar 2016, Bournemouth University, UK
- Global Societies: Fragmenting and Connecting, British Sociological Association annual conference, The Pride Movement: Configuring Human Rights at EuroPride 2015, 06 Apr 2016, Aston University, UK
- Locating Leisure: Blurring Boundaries, Blurring Vernacular/Spectacular: LGBT Rights are Human Rights: EuroPride 2015, Rīga, Latvia., 05 Jul 2016, Liverpool John Moores University
- 14th International Sport Sciences Congress, A tale of two football cultures: HWFC v FA Women’s Cup, 01 Nov 2016, Antalya, Turkey
- Enacting Lesiure, Recreating Lesiure., We Love EU: Migrant and refugee leisure spaces and community wellbeing post Brexit., 04 Jul 2017, Leeds, UK
- Sport Matters: Physics, Politics, Performances, Pedagogies., The Water Dancers: Transgender and non-binary peoples’ moving bodies., 01 Nov 2017, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- MA in Human Rights (University of Sussex, 2015)
- PhD in Sport, Gender and Sexualities (London Metropolitan University, 2001)
- MSc in Recreation Management (Loughborough University, 1989)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport Studies and Geography (Brunel University, 1988)
- British Sociological Association, Member,
- Leisure Studies Association, Member,
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, Member,
- Political Studies Association, Member,
- University & College Union, Member,