Dr Jayne Caudwell
- 01202 968716
- jcaudwell at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Professor of Events and Leisure
- Dorset House D201, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Jayne’s teaching and research interests are concerned with leisure and sport cultures, feminist theories, theories of sexualities and qualitative research methodologies. She joined Bournemouth University in 2015 as Associate Professor & Head of Research in the Department of Events & Leisure. She is Head of the research Centre for Events, Leisure, Society and Culture (CELSC).
Jayne’s academic citizenship includes Managing Editor of Leisure Studies (2013 - ), Associate Editor of Sociology of Sport Journal (2014-17), and editorial board member for: SSJ (2007-10); International Review for the Sociology of Sport (2007-11); Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise & Health (2013-17); Journal of Sport and Social Issues (2016 - ). She reviews for journals including: Emotion, Space & Society; Environment & Planning A; Feminist Review; Gender, Place & Culture; Gender & Society; Gender Studies; Journal of Homosexuality; Men & Masculinities; New Cinemas: Journal of Contemporary Film; Journal of Film & Screen Media; Qualitative Sociology; Research in Social Movements, Conflict & Change; Sexualities; Soccer & Society; Sociological Inquiry; Sport Management Review; Sport & Society; Symbolic Interaction...
Jayne served as executive committee member for Leisure Studies Association for 8 yrs., including 3 yrs. as Publications Officer. She chaired LSA conferences—Leeds 2004 & Brighton 2007—and was on a number of conference committees including: Sport, Leisure & Social Justice, (2013); Justin Campaign Symposium: Campaigning for Change in Sport, (2012); Contemporary Ethnography Across the Disciplines Hui, University of Waikato (2010-2014). She has examined 13 PhDs and external examined UG programmes at Huddersfield, Wolverhampton, Leeds Beckett & Bath Universities.
Her community engagement involves volunteering for organisations, including: EuroPride 2015, Latvia; The Clock Tower Sanctuary (a drop-in centre for young homeless people); The Justin Campaign; and Football 4 Peace.more
- Rinehart, R.E. and Caudwell, J., 2018. Sport–war cartoon art. Media, War and Conflict, 11 (2), 223-243.
- Caudwell, J., 2018. Configuring human rights at EuroPride 2015. Leisure Studies, 37 (1), 49-63.
- Caudwell, J. and McGee, D., 2018. From promotion to protection: human rights and events, leisure and sport. Leisure Studies, 37 (1), 1-10.
- Caudwell, J. and Sugden, J., 2017. "You should see me on the inside": Researching the post-stroke mental health of a male professor of sport. Sociology of Sport Journal, 34 (2), 176-182.
- Silk, M., Caudwell, J. and Gibson, H., 2017. Views on leisure studies: pasts, presents & future possibilities? Leisure Studies, 36 (2), 153-162.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. ‘Feeling blue’: the ordinary pleasures of mundane motion. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 7 (3), 309-320.
- Caudwell, J., 2014. [Transgender] young men: gendered subjectivities and the physically active body. Sport, Education and Society, 19 (4), 398-414.
- Caudwell, J. and Rinehart, R.E., 2014. Liminoidal spaces and the moving body: Emotional turns. Emotion, Space and Society, 12 (1), 1-3.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. Theorising women’s sport participation: debating sport feminisms. Psychology of Women Section Review, 14, 4-9.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. Jazzwomen: Music, sound, gender, and sexuality. Annals of Leisure Research, 15 (4), 389-403.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. The new politics of leisure and pleasure. LEISURE STUDIES, 31 (4), 505-506.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Gender, feminism and football studies. Soccer and Society, 12 (3), 330-344.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Reviewing UK football cultures: Continuing with gender analyses. Soccer and Society, 12 (3), 323-329.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Sport feminism(s): Narratives of linearity? Journal of Sport and Social Issues, 35 (2), 111-125.
- Caudwell, J. and Browne, K., 2011. Sexy spaces: Geography and leisure intersectionalities. Leisure Studies, 30 (2), 117-122.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. ?Does your boyfriend know you?re here?? The spatiality of homophobia in men?s football culture in the UK. Leisure Studies, 30, 123-138.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Space, place, and sex: geographies of sexualities. LEISURE STUDIES, 30 (2), 257-261.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. 'Easy, Oar!': Rowing reflections. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health, 3 (2), 117-129.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Football fixtures: Highbury vs. Hackney Marshes. Soccer and Society, 12 (1), 94-95.
- Caudwell, J., 2010. The jazz-sport analogue: Passing notes on gender and sexuality. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 45 (2), 240-248.
- Caudwell, J., 2009. Girlfight and Bend it like Beckham: Screening women, sport, and sexuality. Journal of Lesbian Studies, 13 (3), 255-271.
- Caudwell, J., 2008. Girlfight: Boxing women. Sport in Society, 11 (2-3), 227-239.
- Caudwell, J., 2008. Risky Pleasures? Club Cultures and Feminine Identities. LEISURE STUDIES, 27 (1), 105-106.
- Caudwell, J., 2007. Queering the field? The complexities of sexuality within a lesbian-identified football team in England. Gender, Place and Culture, 14 (2), 183-196.
- Caudwell, J., 2006. Women Playing Football at Clubs, in England, with Socio-Political Associations. Soccer and Society, 7, 423-438.
- Scraton, S., Caudwell, J. and Holland, S., 2005. 'Bend it like patel': Centring 'race', ethnicity and gender in feminist analysis of women's football in England. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, 40 (1), 71-88.
- Caudwell, J., 2003. Sporting Gender: Women's Footballing Bodies as Sites/Sights for the (Re) Articulation of Sex, Gender, and Desire. Sociology of Sport Journal, 20 (4), 371-386.
- Caudwell, J., 2002. Women?s Experiences of Sexuality within Football Contexts: A Particular and Located Footballing Epistemology. Football Studies, 5, 24-45.
- Caudwell, J., 1999. Women's football in the United Kingdom: Theorizing gender and unpacking the butch lesbian image. Journal of Sport and Social Issues, 23 (4), 390-402.
- Caudwell, J., 2018. Foreword.
- Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B. and Watson, B., 2017. The palgrave handbook of feminism and sport, leisure and physical education.
- Pringle, R., Rinehart, R.E. and Caudwell, J., 2015. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure.
- Caudwell, J. and Browne, K., 2013. Sexualities, spaces and leisure studies. Routledge.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. Women’s football in the UK: continuing with gender analyses. Routledge.
- Caudwell, J., Andrews, H., Hackett, P., Meadows, M. and Selby, M., 2009. Tourism and Leisure: Local Communities and Local Cultures in the UK. Leisure Studies Association.
- Caudwell, J., Redhead, S.C. and Tomlinson, A., 2008. Relocating the Leisure Society: Media, Consumption and Spaces. Leisure Studies Association.
- Magee, J., Caudwell, J., Liston, K. and Scraton, S., 2007. Women, football and Europe: histories, equity and experience. Meyer & Meyer.
- Caudwell, J., 2006. Sport, Sexualities and Queer/Theory. Taylor & Francis.
- Bramham, P. and Caudwell, J., 2005. Sport, active leisure and youth cultures. Leisure Studies Association.
- Caudwell, J., 2017. Everyday Sexisms: Exploring the Scales of Misogyny in Sport. In: Kilvington, D. and Price, J., eds. Sport and Discrimination. London: Routledge, 61-76.
- Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B. and Watson, B., 2017. Introduction: Feminist thinking, politics and practice in sport, leisure and physical education. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 1-15.
- Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B., Watson, B. and Mansfield, L., 2017. Feminist theories of sport, leisure and physical education. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 353-356.
- Caudwell, J., Mansfield, L., Watson, B. and Wheaton, B., 2017. Feminist praxis in sport, leisure and physical education. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 723-727.
- Wheaton, B., Watson, B., Mansfield, L. and Caudwell, J., 2017. Feminist epistemologies, methodologies and method. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 203-208.
- Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B. and Watson, B., 2017. Contemporary feminist issues in sport, leisure and physical education. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 517-522.
- Watson, B., Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J. and Wheaton, B., 2017. Challenges and transformations in women’s leisure, sport and physical education movements. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 19-23.
- Caudwell, J., 2017. Sporting events, the trafficking of women for sexual exploitation and human rights. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 537-556.
- Caudwell, J. and Englefield, L., 2017. Pride sports and lou englefield interview date: 31 march 2016. The Palgrave Handbook of Feminism and Sport, Leisure and Physical Education. 729-737.
- Caudwell, J., 2017. 'I Love Going to Watch Norwich': The Experiences of a Transgender Football Fan. 27-44.
- Caudwell, J., 2016. Football and misogyny. Routledge Handbook of Football Studies. 304-313.
- Kipnis, H. and Caudwell, J., 2015. The boxers of Kabul: women, boxing and Islam. In: Channon, A. and Matthews, C.R., eds. Global perspectives on women in combat sports: women warriors around the world. Palgrave Macmillan, 41-56.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. Sexualities and sport. Routledge Handbook of the Sociology of Sport. 240-250.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. 'I just love watching football'. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure. 133-150.
- Pringle, R., Rinehart, R.E. and Caudwell, J., 2015. Proem: Sport and the social significance of pleasure. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure. 1-11.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. Running for pleasures. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure. 97-115.
- Caudwell, J., 2015. Studying sport, feminism and pleasure. Sport and the Social Significance of Pleasure. 64-79.
- Roy, G. and Caudwell, J., 2014. Women and surfing spaces in Newquay, UK. In: Hargreaves, J. and Anderson, E., eds. Routledge handbook of sport, gender and sexuality. Routledge.
- Darvill, T., 2013. Introduction. In: Piccolo, S., ed. Ancient Stones. The Prehistoric Dolmens of Sicily. Thornham: Brazen Head Publishing, 1-2.
- Caudwell, J., 2012. Rowing/sculling, British Isles. In: Nauright, J. and Parrish, C., eds. Sports around the world: history, culture, and practice. ABC-CLIO, 169-170.
- Caudwell, J., 2011. Sex watch: surveying women’s sexed and gendered bodies at the Olympics. In: Sugden, J. and Tomlinson, A., eds. Watching the Olympics. Routledge, 151-164.
- Caudwell, J., 2009. Queer-in the sociology of sport. The Ashgate Research Companion to Queer Theory. 219-236.
- Caudwell, J., Redhead, S.C. and Tomlinson, A., 2008. Relocating the Leisure Society: Editors’ introduction. In: Caudwell, J., Redhead, S.C. and Tomlinson, A., eds. Relocating the Leisure Society: Media, Consumption and Spaces. Leisure Studies Association, v-xi.
- Caudwell, J., 2008. Critically Queer: Possibilities for a Sport Studies of the Body. In: Tomlinson, A. and Woodham, J., eds. Image, Power and Space: Studies in Consumption and Identity. Meyer and Meyer, 83-96.
- Caudwell, J., 2008. Girlfight: Boxing Women. In: Poulton, E. and Roderick, M., eds. Introducing Sport in Films. Routledge.
- Caudwell, J., 2007. Hackney Women’s Football Club: Lesbian United? In: Magee, J., Liston, K. and Scraton, S., eds. Women, Football and Europe: Histories, Equity and Experience Vol 1. Meyer & Meyer, 64-84.
- Caudwell, J., 2007. On Shifting Sands: The Complexities of Women’s and Girls’ Involvement in Football for Peace. In: Sugden, J. and Wallis, J., eds. Football for Peace: Teaching and Playing Sport for Conflict Resolution in the Middle East. Meyer & Meyer, 97-112.
- Caudwell, J., 2006. Femme-fatale: Re-thinking the femme-inine. Sport Sexualities and Queer/Theory. 145-158.
- Caudwell, J., 2004. ’Out on the field of play: women’s experiences of gender and sexuality in football contexts’. In: Wagg, S., ed. British football and social exclusion. Taylor and Francis Group, 127-146.
- Caudwell, J., 2004. Tipping the Velvet: Straight[forward] Voyeurism? Problematising the Viewing of Lesbianism. In: Kennedy, E. and Thornton, A., eds. Leisure, Media and Visual Culture: Representations and Contestations. Leisure Studies Association, 227-249.
- Caudwell, J., 2000. Football in the UK: women, tomboys, butches and lesbians. In: Scraton, S. and Watson, B., eds. Sport, Leisure Identities and Gendered Spaces. Leisure Studies Association, 95-110.
- Caudwell, J., 1998. Sex and politics: sites of resistance in women’s football. In: Aitchison, C. and Jordan, F., eds. Gender, space and identity: leisure, culture and commerce.. Leisure Studies Association, 151-161.
- Caudwell, J., 2018. Why this football tournament should be called the men's World Cup. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/why-this-football-tournament-should-be-called-the-mens-world-cup-98348.
- Caudwell, J., Mansfield, L., Wheaton, B. and Watson, R., 2017. New Premier League season begins … but child abuse scandal hangs heavy over football,. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/new-premier-league-season-begins-but-child-abuse-scandal-hangs-heavy-over-football-75335.
- Mansfield, L., Caudwell, J., Wheaton, B. and Watson, R., 2017. Sportswomen still face sexism, but feminism can help achieve a level playing field. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/sportswomen-still-face-sexism-but-feminism-can-help-achieve-a-level-playing-field-76748.
- Stewart, C. and Caudwell, J., 2017. Vicious cycle: the ‘troublemakers’ tackling sexism in elite sport. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/vicious-cycle-the-troublemakers-tackling-sexism-in-elite-sport-75687.
- Noreen Orr. Heritage, leisure and identity in museum volunteering
- Georgina Roy. Feminism in 'new' sporting spaces: gender, subjectivity and the female surfer in Britain
- Hillary Kipnis. Occupation, Resistance and Unbreakable Spirit: A Study on the Meaning of Sport and Physical Activity in the Lives of Palestinian Women
Football in the UK, LGBTQ participation, Victoria University, Australia, 28 Sep 2010 more
Keynote Presentation: Football in the UK, LGBTQ participation. The Worlds of Football International Conference. Victoria University, Australia (2010)
The Justin Campaign. LGBT: Are we Living Equally?, Chester, UK, 13 Feb 2012 more
Keynote Presentation: The Justin Campaign. LGBT: Are we Living Equally? Diversity Festival, University of Chester, UK (2012)
LGBT Sport, Campaigning for Change, University of Southern California, USA, 23 Oct 2013 more
Invited Speaker: Senior Scholars Panel: LGBT Sport, Campaigning for Change. Annenberg Institute of Sports, Media & Society Conference: Sport & The LGBT Experience. University of Southern California, USA (2013)
Turning to feminist & feminist-queer methodologies, Loughborough University, 02 Sep 2014 more
Keynote Presentation: Turning to feminist & feminist-queer methodologies. 4th International Conference on Qualitative Research in Sport & Exercise: “Turning point moments in the field”. Loughborough University (2014)
Exploring the scales of misogyny in sport, University of Sunderland, 01 May 2015 more
Keynote Presentation: Exploring the scales of misogyny in sport. Sport and Discrimination Conference. University of Sunderland (2015)
A tale of two football cultures: HWFC v FA Women’s, Antalya, Turkey, 03 Nov 2016 more
Invited Panelist: A tale of two football cultures: HWFC v FA Women’s. 14th International Sport Sciences Congress, Antalya, Turkey (2016)
Transgender and non-binary peoples' moving bodies, Northumbria University, 11 Apr 2018 more
Communi-T Swim: Transgender and non-binary peoples' moving bodies, invited paper in Culture, Sport, Media and Food Stream at British Sociological Association. Annual Conference, Northumbria University, UK
- Safe Swim: Supporting physical activity and wellbeing for transgender young people (BA/Leverhulme Small Research Grant, 01 Dec 2018). Awarded
- We Love EU: Migrant and refugee leisure spaces and community well-being post Brexit (quality-related research (QR) funding, 01 Mar 2017). Completed
- F4P V Homophobia: Celebrating 5 yrs. of student-led community action (University of Brighton ECHO Grant (Excellence, Community and Heritage Opportunity), 01 Jun 2015). Completed
- Understanding the potential of informal and lifestyle sports (Economic and Social Research Council, 01 Jul 2014). Completed
- Rapid topic overview on physical activity among LGBT communities in England, (Public Health England, 01 Mar 2014). Completed
- Being in the Zone: the Importance of Culture to Peak Performance in Sport, Arts and Work (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 01 Jun 2012). Completed
- Taking a Stand: Sport and Sexualities (University of Brighton, 01 Jan 2012). Completed
- LGBT youth, school sport, health & well-being (University of Brighton, 01 Feb 2011). Completed
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Invited panellist at LGBT History Month public lecture, Cambridge University,
- Invited speaker at Conte[s/x]ting Sport community event, Split, Croatia
- Invited speaker at Lewes Men's Prison: Anti-homophobia workshop & event, UK
- Invited speaker at Student’s Unions 2011 National Conference, Leeds, UK,
- Invited speaker at London Olympics: What’s in it for Women? The Women and Planning Forum, London, UK
- Invited speaker at Winchester Men's Prison: Anti-homophobia workshop & event, UK
- Royal Geographical Society International Conference, Multicultural lunches: leisure, food, migrants and refugees in the south of England, 28 Aug 2018, Cardiff University
- Sport Matters: Physics, Politics, Performances, Pedagogies., The Water Dancers: Transgender and non-binary peoples’ moving bodies., 01 Nov 2017, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Enacting Lesiure, Recreating Lesiure., We Love EU: Migrant and refugee leisure spaces and community wellbeing post Brexit., 04 Jul 2017, Leeds, UK
- 14th International Sport Sciences Congress, A tale of two football cultures: HWFC v FA Women’s Cup, 01 Nov 2016, Antalya, Turkey
- Locating Leisure: Blurring Boundaries, Blurring Vernacular/Spectacular: LGBT Rights are Human Rights: EuroPride 2015, Rīga, Latvia., 05 Jul 2016, Liverpool John Moores University
- Global Societies: Fragmenting and Connecting, British Sociological Association annual conference, The Pride Movement: Configuring Human Rights at EuroPride 2015, 06 Apr 2016, Aston University, UK
- Political Studies Association, Sport, Politics & Social Justice, Sexual Exploitation, Sex Work and Sports Events, 04 Mar 2016, Bournemouth University, UK
- The Sporting Arena: Academics, Activists and Activism[s]., Activism, intervention and academic-student collaboration on campus: Fighting homophobia, biphobia and transphobia in/through football, 05 Nov 2014, Portland, Oregon
- Third Visual Methods Conference: Visual Methods in Mediated Environments: Connecting Diverse Worlds, Sport-War Cartoon Art., 02 Sep 2013, Aotearoa/New Zealand
- 2nd Annual Football and Community, “… But he wasn’t used to players who went to what he described as ‘puffs’ clubs”: Intersections of race, gender and sexuality in English football, 13 Jun 2013, Manchester, UK
- Contemporary Ethnography Across the Disciplines., The pleasures of mundane movement, 20 Nov 2012, Aotearoa/New Zealand
- Contemporary Ethnography Across the Disciplines., Community University Partnership Projects (CUPP), 20 Nov 2012, Aotearoa/New Zealand
- Sport in Place, Running for Pleasures., 07 Nov 2012, New Orleans, USA
- Leisure, Living, Learning: Education in Sport, Tourism and the Outdoors, Young Transgender People and Sport/Physical Activity, 17 Jul 2012, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Sport and the Winds of Change International Society for Sociology of Sport Annual Conference, Surfing sexualities: queer-feminist theory and UK surf space, 10 Jul 2011, Havana, Cuba
- Sport and the Winds of Change International Society for Sociology of Sport Annual Conference, The Justin Campaign: Football, sexualities and gender politics, 10 Jul 2011, Havana, Cuba
- Leisure in Transition: People, Policy and Places, The Justin Campaign: Homophobia, Football, Education and Art, 05 Jul 2011, Southampton Solent University
- Congress of Qualitative Inquiry,, United we stand, divided we fall: Campaigning for change, 17 May 2011, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA
- Contemporary Ethnography Across the Disciplines, Physical (and Cultural) Capital and Whiteness – The Case of Rowing, 16 Nov 2010, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Transforming Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Lives Conference Activism and Research for Gender and Sexual Liberation, Homophobia in UK football and The Justin Campaign, 15 Sep 2010, Brighton, UK
- Sport and Bodily Culture in Hard Times, Jazz-Sport Analogies: The Aesthetics of Gender and Sexuality, 04 Nov 2009, Ottawa, Canada
- Leisure Experiences, Participating, Planning, Providing, Jazzwomen: Notes on gender., 07 Jul 2009, Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
- Sexy Spaces: Leisure and Geography, Tenor Madness: Jazz and the containment of women saxophonists, 22 May 2009, Brighton, UK
- Sport and Peace/Social (in)Justice., Girlfight and Bend it Like Beckham: The fights for equal rights…, 05 Nov 2008, Denver, USA
- Media, Communications and Cultural Studies, Sporting Bodies, Identities and the Reproduction of Difference. Girlfight – The film, 09 Jan 2008, Cardiff, Wales
- Re-Imagining Community. Re-Envisioning Sport, The Global Games: Israel, Football for Peace and Gender, 01 Nov 2006, Vancouver, Canada
- Interdisciplinary Dialogues, The Femme and Football: Queering Femininity, Queering Football?, 03 Nov 2004, Tucson, USA
- Leisure and Visual Culture, Tipping the Velvet. Straight[forward] Voyeurism? Problematising the viewing of lesbian bodies and lesbian pleasure, 08 Jul 2003, Roehampton University, UK
- Sport and Social Order: Challenges for Theory and Practice, Exploring ‘Race’, Ethnicity and Gender: The Experiences of Black and South Asian Women Footballers, 18 Jun 2003, German Sport University Cologne, Germany
- Out from the Centre. Queer Studies Conference, Football in the UK: [non] Queering the pitch and [gender] marking players., 29 Nov 2002, Newcastle, Australia
- Beyond Sex and Gender: The Future of Women’s Studies?, Sporting gender: Women’s footballing bodies as sites/sights for the (re)materialisation of sex, gender and desire., 19 Sep 2002, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Journeys in Leisure. Current and Future Alliances, Feminist epistemological approaches to the study of gender and sexuality., 17 Jul 2001, University of Luton, UK
- Pre-Olympic Congress., Embodying masculinity? The experiences of women footballers in the UK, 07 Sep 2000, Brisbane, Australia
- Queer Games? Theories, Politics, Sports, The cultural arena of women’s football in the UK: A sport space for lesbian gender?, 29 Jul 1998, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- The Big Ghetto. Gender, Sexuality and Leisure., Sportswomen’s sexuality: Exclusive design of the self?, 16 Jul 1998, Leeds Metropolitan University, UK
- Gendered Spaces: Women’s Choices and Constraints, Women who play football: Is there a space for lesbian gender?, 14 Jul 1998, University of Hull, UK
- Leisure, Culture and Commerce, Sex and politics: Resistance and acceptance in women’s football., 09 Sep 1997, Roehampton Institution, UK
- Women, Policy and Politics, Late nineteenth century and twentieth century images of the female footballer: Sites of resistance, gender and sexuality, 14 Jul 1997, University of London, UK
- MA in Human Rights (University of Sussex, 2015)
- PhD in Sport, Gender and Sexualities (London Metropolitan University, 2001)
- MSc in Recreation Management (Loughborough University, 1989)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport Studies and Geography (Brunel University, 1988)
- British Sociological Association, Member,
- Leisure Studies Association, Member,
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, Member,
- Political Studies Association, Member,
- University & College Union, Member,