Dr Paul Fairbairn
- 01202 961348
- pfairbairn at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Nutrition and Sport and Exercise Science
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Paul is a lecturer in Nutrition and Exercise Science. He leads the Research Methods and Principles of Food and Nutrition modules as well as contributing towards many other units across both the nutrition and sport and exercise science programs.
Paul's first degree is in Sport and Exercise Science, he then went on to study Public Health Nutrition at masters level, before completing his PhD in Human Nutrition at Bournemouth University.
Paul's research has focused on the effects of nutrition and exercise on cognitive function and mobility. In particular, he has investigated the effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and B vitamins on multiple cognitive domains in older adults, as part of a match funded studentship in partnership with Efamol Ltd. His research within this area led to him receiving a new investigator award, to recognise excellence in young researchers, from the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids. His current research interests are in investigating the effects of nutrition interventions on brain function across the lifespan...
In addition to his academic work, Paul has experience working as a Health and Performance Nutritionist supporting athletes in rugby, rowing and martial arts. Paul has particular expertise in supporting athletes in weight making sports reach their weight class whilst maximising their performance and supporting their health.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture"
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
- Fairbairn, P., 2023. The effects of multi-nutrient formulas containing a combination of n-3 PUFA and B vitamins on cognition in the older adult: A systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Nutrition, 129 (3), 428-441.
- Fairbairn, P., Dyall, S.C. and Tsofliou, F., 2023. The effects of multi-nutrient formulas containing a combination of n-3 PUFA and B vitamins on cognition in the older adult: a systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Nutrition, 129 (3), 428-441.
- Fairbairn, P., Tsofliou, F., Johnson, A. and Dyall, S.C., 2020. Effects of a high-DHA multi-nutrient supplement and exercise on mobility and cognition in older women (MOBILE): A randomised semi-blinded placebo-controlled study. British Journal of Nutrition, 124 (2), 146-155.
- Fairbairn, P., Tsofliou, F., Johnson, A. and Dyall, S.C., 2019. Combining a high DHA multi-nutrient supplement with aerobic exercise: Protocol for a randomised controlled study assessing mobility and cognitive function in older women. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids, 143, 21-30.
- Fairbairn, P. and Tsofliou, F., 2021. The combined effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and B vitamins on cognition in the older adult: a systematic review. In: Nutrition Society’s Summer Conference 2021 6-8 July 2021 London. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 80 (OCE5).
- Fairbairn, P., Tsofliou and Dyall, S.C., 2017. The relationship between circulating omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, cognitive function and dual task gait speed is different in non-frail and pre-frail older women. In: Lipids and Brain IV 8-11 October 2017 Nancy, France.
- Fairbairn, P., 2021. The effects of docosahexaenoic acid combined with supporting nutrients and physical activity on mobility and cognitive function in older women. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Nutrition and Brain Function Across the Lifespan
- Nutrition, Health and Psychology
Profile of Teaching UG
- Beginning Research
- Conducting Research
- Research Project
- Principles of Food and Nutrition
Queen Margaret University, 27 Oct 2021 more
Guest Lecture hosted at Queen Margaret University, Making the Weight: Supporting Weight Classified Athletes, Energy Availability and RED-S
- The effects of docosahexaenoic acid combined with supporting nutrients and physical activity on mobility and cognitive function in older women (Santander, 08 Apr 2018). Completed
- Journal of Science in Sport and Exercise, Anonymous peer review, 01 Jun 2022
- PhD in Human Nutrition (Bournemouth University, 2021)
- MSc in Public Health Nutrition (Queen Margaret University, 2015)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Science (Leeds Metropolitan University, 2013)
- New Investigator Award (The International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids, 2018)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2019-),
- International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids, Member (2018-2020), https://www.issfal.org/
- The Nutrition Society, Member (2014-), https://www.nutritionsociety.org/
Social Media Links
- LinkedIn, https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-fairbairn-224776100/
- Twitter, @P_Fairbairn