Dr Fotini Tsofliou
- 01202 961583
- ftsofliou at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Nutrition
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a solid Nutrition Scientist, registered nutritionist (Nutrition Science) with AfN and an elected trustee to the AfN Council. I have a 1st class degree in Human Nutrition and Dietetics. After 12 months in weight management dietetics i gained a full-time postgraduate scholarship from the Greek State Scholarship Foundation to complete my MSc (MedSci) in Human Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition Specialisation at the University of Glasgow. In 2004, I was awarded my PhD working on the effects of dietary and exercise interventions on leptin and appetite control in obese, normal weight and trained individuals. Following this, I was appointed as Postdoctoral Research Scientist at the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen for 3 years in the Division of Obesity and Metabolic Health and worked on the effects of dietary supplementation with CLA and n-3 PUFA on obesity and ageing.
In 2006 I joined Nutrition and Dietetics department in Higher Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki in Greece to contribute to the curriculum of the Human Nutrition & Dietetics, Clinical Specialisation and to expand my research and practice... In 2011 I was appointed as the programme lead for the postgraduate programme in Clinical Nutrition at Roehampton University. In 2012, I started my academic work in Nutrition at Bournemouth University and got the Programme Leadership for BSc (Hons) Nutrition and MSc Nutrition and Behaviour later. Therefore, I have extensive experience in delivering and leading innovative Nutrition curricula in HE in the UK (BSc (Hons) Nutrition and MSc Nutrition and Behaviour) and internationally with successful programme leadership at undergraduate and postgraduate level in AfN accredited, university courses for 10 years in UK.
My research passion lies in prevention of maternal and childhood obesity. My current research explores comprehensive measurement of dietary patterns and psychosocial health indices in childbearing age with a focus on promotion of healthy eating towards Med Style diet. I have expertise in the development of novel and pragmatic dietary interventions for promotion of metabolic health and prevention of obesity and related complications. I am also researching in the field of healthy food groups in relation to healthy ageing and longevity for prevention of physical and cognitive frailty.more
- Pes, G.M., Dore, M.P., Tsofliou, F. and Poulain, M., 2022. Diet and longevity in the Blue Zones: A set-and-forget issue? Maturitas, 164, 31-37.
- Hadjicharalambous, M., Zaras, N., Apostolidis, A. and Tsofliou, F., 2022. Recreational Soccer, Body Composition and Cardiometabolic Health: A Training-Intervention Study in Healthy Adolescents. International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences, 10 (3), 524-533.
- Ekong, A., Adesina, N., Regmi, P., Tsofliou, F., Wood, J. and Hewitt-Taylor, J., 2022. Barriers and Facilitators to the recruitment of Black African women for research in the UK: Hard to engage and not hard to reach. Midirs Midwifery Digest.
- Killingback, C., Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2022. ‘Everyone's so kind and jolly it boosts my spirits, if you know what I mean’: A humanising perspective on exercise programme participation. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, 36 (1), 162-172.
- Adesina, N., Dogan, H., Green, S. and Tsofliou, F., 2022. Effectiveness and usability of digital tools to support dietary self-management of gestational diabetes mellitus: A systematic review. Nutrients, 14 (1).
- Fairbairn, P., Dyall, S.C. and Tsofliou, F., 2022. The Effects of Multi-Nutrient Formulas containing a Combination of Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids and B vitamins on Cognition in the older adult: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. British Journal of Nutrition.
- Khaled, K., Hundley, V., Bassil, M., Bazzi, M. and Tsofliou, F., 2021. Validation of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer (EPIC) FFQ for use among adults in Lebanon. Public Health Nutrition, 24 (13), 4007-4016.
- Khaled, K., Hundley, V. and Tsofliou, F., 2021. Poor dietary quality and patterns are associated with higher perceived stress among women of reproductive age in the UK. Nutrients, 13 (8).
- Tsofliou, F., Pitsiladis, Y.P., Lara, J., Hadjicharalambous, M., Macdonald, I.A., Wallace, M.A. and Lean, M.E.J., 2020. The effects of moderate alterations in adrenergic activity on acute appetite regulation in obese women: A randomised crossover trial. Nutrition and Health, 26 (4), 311-322.
- Muniz-Pardos, B., Tsofliou, F. et al., 2020. Collateral Health Issues Derived from the Covid-19 Pandemic. Sports Medicine - Open, 6 (1).
- Khaled, K., Hundley, V., Almilaji, O., Koeppen, M. and Tsofliou, F., 2020. A priori and a posteriori dietary patterns in women of childbearing age in the uk. Nutrients, 12 (10), 1-17.
- Tsofliou, F., Grammatikopoulou, M.G., Lumley, R., Gkiouras, K., Lara, J. and Clark, C., 2020. Effects of lunch club attendance on the dietary intake of older adults in the UK: A pilot cross-sectional study. Nutrition and Health, 26 (3), 209-214.
- Khaled, K., Tsofliou, F., Hundley, V., Helmreich, R. and Almilaji, O., 2020. Perceived stress and diet quality in women of reproductive age: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrition Journal, 19 (1).
- Fairbairn, P., Tsofliou, F., Johnson, A. and Dyall, S.C., 2020. Effects of a high-DHA multi-nutrient supplement and exercise on mobility and cognition in older women (MOBILE): A randomised semi-blinded placebo-controlled study. British Journal of Nutrition, 124 (2), 146-155.
- Poulimeneas, D., Vlachos, D., Maraki, M.I., Daskalou, E., Grammatikopoulou, M., Karathanou, L., Kotsias, E., Tsofliou, F., Tsigga, M. and Grammatikopoulou, M.G., 2019. Diet quality, overweight and daily monetary allowance of Greek adolescents. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, 31 (3).
- Fairbairn, P., Tsofliou, F., Johnson, A. and Dyall, S.C., 2019. Combining a high DHA multi-nutrient supplement with aerobic exercise: Protocol for a randomised controlled study assessing mobility and cognitive function in older women. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids, 143, 21-30.
- Kretowicz, H., Hundley, V. and Tsofliou, F., 2018. Exploring the perceived barriers to following a mediterranean style diet in childbearing age: A qualitative study. Nutrients, 10 (11).
- Killingback, C., Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2017. Older people's adherence to community-based group exercise programmes: A multiple-case study. BMC Public Health, 17 (1).
- Farrance, C., Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2016. Adherence to community based group exercise interventions for older people: A mixed-methods systematic review. Preventive Medicine, 87, 155-166.
- Hassapidou, M., Daskalou, E., Tsofliou, F., Tziomalos, K., Paschaleri, A., Pagkalos, I. and Tzotzas, T., 2015. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in preschool children in Thessaloniki, Greece. Hormones, 14 (4), 615-622.
- Hassapidou, M., Papadimitriou, K., Athanasiadou, N., Tokmakidou, V., Pagkalos, I., Vlahavas, G. and Tsofliou, F., 2011. Changes in body weight, body composition and cardiovascular risk factors after long-term nutritional intervention in patients with severe mental illness: an observational study. BMC Psychiatry, 11, 31.
- Marakis, G., Karagiozoglou, T., Votsi, I., Kosteletou, E., Kontopoulou, L. and Tsofliou, F., 2010. Evaluation of malnutrition in hospitalised patients in Greece. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 69 (OCE1), E136.
- Tsofliou, F., Fyfe, C.L., Matheson, I., Jackson, D.M., Horgan, G.W., Wahle, K.W.J., Ahren, B., Williams, L.M. and Sneddon, A.A., 2009. Modulation of fasted and postprandial plasma lipids in healthy volunteers byadietary mixture of omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid. Journal of Food Lipids, 16 (4), 499-513.
- Ahrén, B., Mari, A., Fyfe, C.L., Tsofliou, F., Sneddon, A.A., Wahle, K.W., Winzell, M.S., Pacini, G. and Williams, L.M., 2009. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid plus n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on insulin secretion and estimated insulin sensitivity in men. Eur J Clin Nutr, 63 (6), 778-786.
- Sneddon, A.A., Tsofliou, F., Fyfe, C.L., Matheson, I., Jackson, D.M., Horgan, G., Winzell, M.S., Wahle, K.W.J., Ahren, B. and Williams, L.M., 2008. Effect of a conjugated linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acid mixture on body composition and adiponectin. Obesity (Silver Spring), 16 (5), 1019-1024.
- Hadjicharalambous, M., Georgiades, E., Kilduff, L.P., Turner, A.P., Tsofliou, F. and Pitsiladis, Y.P., 2006. Influence of caffeine on perception of effort, metabolism and exercise performance following a high-fat meal. J Sports Sci, 24 (8), 875-887.
- Maraki, M., Tsofliou, F., Pitsiladis, Y.P., Malkova, D., Mutrie, N. and Higgins, S., 2005. Acute effects of a single exercise class on appetite, energy intake and mood. Is there a time of day effect? Appetite, 45 (3), 272-278.
- Tsofliou, F., Pitsiladis, Y.P., Malkova, D., Wallace, A.M. and Lean, M.E.J., 2003. Moderate physical activity permits acute coupling between serum leptin and appetite-satiety measures in obese women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 27 (11), 1332-1339.
- Gill, J.M.R., Caslake, M.J., McAllister, C., Tsofliou, F., Ferrell, W.R., Packard, C.J. and Malkova, D., 2003. Effects of short-term detraining on postprandial metabolism, endothelial function, and inflammation in endurance-trained men: dissociation between changes in triglyceride metabolism and endothelial function. firstname.lastname@example.org. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 88 (9), 4328-4335.
- Tsofliou, F., Lara, J.J. and Lean, M.E.J., 2003. Dietary fat and obesity: Increasing concern or old hat? European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 105 (8), 389.
- Fairbairn, P. and Tsofliou, F., 2021. The combined effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and B vitamins on cognition in the older adult: a systematic review. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 80 (OCE5).
- Khaled, K., Hundley, V. and Tsofliou, F., 2021. Association between Diet Quality and Perceived Stress in Women of Reproductive Age from a University Population in UK. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 80 (OCE5).
- Tsofliou, F., Vlachos, D. and Appleton, K.M., 2021. Barriers and facilitators to adoption of and adherence to a Mediterranean style diet in adults: a systematic review of observational and qualitative studies. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 80 (OCE5).
- Adesina, N., Dogan, H., Green, S. and Tsofliou, F., 2021. Dietary digital tools to support self-management of gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic literature review. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 80 (OCE5).
- Arvanitidou, E.I., Almilaji, O., Wood, J. and Tsofliou, F., 2020. The effectiveness of couples’ lifestyle interventions (Randomised Controlled Trials) on weight change: A systematic review and meta-analysis. In: European and International Congress on Obesity (ecoico2020) 1-4 September 2020 online.
- Khaled, K., Hundley, V. and Tsofliou, F., 2020. The association between perceived stress and diet quality in women of childbearing age: A systematic review. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 79 (OCE2), E599.
- Khaled, K., Almilaji, O., Koppen, M., Hundley, V. and Tsofliou, F., 2020. The association between a priori and a posterior dietary patterns with perceived stress in women of childbearing age. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 79 (OCE2), E460.
- Ekong, A., Regmi, P., Wood, J. and Tsofliou, F., 2019. Challenges and facilitators to healthy eating in pregnancy: a systematic review. http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.php?ID=CRD42019120961.
- Kretowicz, H., Hundley, V. and Tsofliou, F., 2018. Exploring the perceived barriers to following a Mediterranean style diet in women of childbearing age in the United Kingdom: a qualitative study. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 77 (OCE4), E143.
- Fairbairn, P., Tsofliou and Dyall, S.C., 2017. The relationship between circulating omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, cognitive function and dual task gait speed is different in non-frail and pre-frail older women. In: Lipids and Brain IV 8-11 October 2017 Nancy, France.
- Lumley, R., Tsofliou, F., Lara, J., Sheppard, Z. and Clark, C., 2016. Attending lunch clubs is associated with greater compliance for Dietary Reference Values (DRVs) among older people in South-West England. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 75 (OCE3), E153.
- Lumley, R., Tsofliou, F., Lara, J., Sheppard, Z. and Clark, C., 2016. A survey exploring characteristics of older people attending lunch cubs in South-West of England. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 75 (OCE3), E154.
- Tsofliou, F., Apostolou, A., Vlahavas, G. and Karagiozoglou-Lampoudi, T., 2012. Differences in metabolic profile between young obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and obese controls. In: Magkou, V. and Tafidou, K., eds. Aspen’s Clinical Nutrition Week 29 January-1 February 2011 Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Kontopoulou, L., Tsofliou, F., Marakis, G., Kokkinidou, S., Zigomani, V., Vasara, E. and Karagiozoglou-Lampoudi, T., 2010. ASSOCIATION BETWEEN BREAKFAST CONSUMPTION, BMI AND WAIST/HEIGHT RATIO IN GREEK ADOLESCENTS. JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC GASTROENTEROLOGY AND NUTRITION, 50, E186-E187.
- Tsofliou, F., Marakis, G., Kontopoulou, L. and Karagiozoglou, T., 2010. Evaluation of malnutrition in hospitalised patients in Greece. In: Nutrition Society Summer Meeting 13-17 July 2009 Surrey. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 69 (Issue OCE1), E136.
- Tsofliou, F., Jackson, D.M., Fyfe, C.L., Sneddon, A.A., Wahle, K.W.J. and Williams, L.M., 2008. Effects of age and obesity on 24-hour heart rate variability in healthy lean and obese, young and older men. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OBESITY, 32, S112.
- Tsofliou, F., Fyfe, C.L., Matheson, I., Sneddon, A.A., Jackson, D., Wahle, K.W.J. and Williams, L.M., 2006. Plasma adiponectin levels after a high-fat meal and a standard mixed meal in lean and obese, young and older men. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY, 65, 98A.
- Tsofliou, F., Pitsiladis, Y., Hadjicharalambous, M., Fuld, J., Wallace, M. and Lean, M.E.J., 2004. Acute effects of moderate exercise performed with alpha/beta adrenoceptor blockade or placebo in obese women. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OBESITY, 28, S211.
- Tsofliou, F., Pitsiladis, Y., Hadjicharalambous, M., Jonathan, F., Wallace, M. and Lean, M.E.J., 2004. Acute effects of adrenaline infusion on appetite control and serum leptin in obese women. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OBESITY, 28, S47.
- Tsofliou, F., Pitsiladis, Y.P., Malkova, D. and Lean, M.E.J., 2001. THE EFFECTS OF A SNACK AND OF LOW-INTENSITY EXERCISE ON SENSATIONS OF APPETITE, FOOD INTAKE AND SERUM LEPTIN IN OBESE MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE, 33 (5), S138.
- Fairbairn, P., 2018. The effects of omega-3 fatty acids and exercise on mobility and cognition in the older adult. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University.
- Farrance, Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2015. Evaluating the Views of Participants and Adherence Rates of Community Based Group Exercise Interventions: A Mixed Methods Systematic Review. In: World Confederation of Physical Therapy Congress, Singapore.
- Farrance, Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2015. Understanding the Views of Older People in Adhering to Community Based Group Exercise Interventions: A Qualitative Systematic Review. In: World Confederation of Physical Therapy Congress, Singapore.
- Paul Fairbairn, 2018. Investigating the effects of omega-3 fatty acids and synergistic nutrients and exercise on mobility and cognition in the older adult
- Clare Farrance, 2016. Tackling the invisible burden of physical inactivity in the elderly.
- Karim Khaled. Diet Quality/Patterns and perceived stress in women of child-bearing age
- Iro Arvanitidou. Healthy eating and body weight for couples in reproductive age
- Nurudeen Adesina. Development of on-line dietary management tool of Gestational Diabetes in black African women in uk
Profile of Teaching PG
- Contemporary Nutrition, Leve 7 MNutr & MSc Nutrition & Behaviour
- Contemporary Nutrition
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Methodologies II, Level 5,BSc (Hons) Nutrition & BSc(Hons)Clinical exercise
- Contemporary Nutrition Level 6 & 7 , BSc(Hons) Nutrition and BSc(Hons)Clinical Exercise Science
- Community Health and Wellbeing, Level 6
- • Mapping community food programs that support people to access and use locally produced fresh food in Bournemouth and Poole (Bournemouth University. Grants Academy Small Grant., 01 May 2015). Completed
- • An on-line, web-based resource on Public Health and Obesity Prevention for education of Health Care Professionals (CEL Fusion Funding, 17 Jun 2014). Awarded
- Collate data of outreach activities of Health Science, FHSS Widening Participation Steering Group Meeting
- Collect and Review Faculty data on grants submissions per gender, HSS Faculty Athena SWAN
- PGCE in Associate Fellow (2013)
- PhD in Nutrition (Department of Human Nutrition, Medical School, University of Glasgow, 2004)
- MSc in Human Nutrition specialised in Clinical Nutrition (Department of Human Nutrition, Medical School, University of Glasgow, 2000)
- 3 years Scholarship for postgraduate studies in UK (The State Scholarships Foundation (I.K.Y) for postgraduate studies, 1999)
- Nutrition Society, Fellow (2003-),
- member of the Sustainable Food City Partnership Working Group on Knowledge Transfer and Innovation at BU