Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I graduated from the Higher Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki, Greece in 1998 with a 1st class degree in Human Nutrition and Dietetics. After 12 months in weight management dietetics i gained a full time postgraduate scholarship from the Greek State Scholarship Foundation and in 2000 i completed my MSc (MedSci) in Human Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition Specialisation at the University of Glasgow. In 2004 i was awarded my PhD working on the effects of dietary and exercise interventions on leptin and appetite control in obese, normal weight and trained individuals. In 2003, i was appointed as Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen for 3 years and worked on the effects of dietary supplementation with CLA and n-3 PUFA on obesity and ageing. In 2006 i joined Nutrition and Dietetics department in Higher Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki to contribute to the curriculum of the Human Nutrition & Dietetics, Clinical Specialisation and to expand my research and practice... In 2011 i was appointed as the programme lead for the postgraduate programme in Clinical Nutrition at Roehampton University. In 2012 i was appointed Senior Lecturer in Nutrition at Bournemouth University and Programme Lead for BSc (Hons) Nutrition and MNutr.
I have presented my research findings at national and international conferences.
My research passion lies in prevention of maternal and childhood obesity. My current research explores comprehensive measurement of dietary patterns in childbearing age and the development of evidence based , pragmatic dietary interventions which can promote healthy eating towards Med Style diet.more
- Poulimeneas, D., Vlachos, D., Maraki, M.I., Daskalou, E., Grammatikopoulou, M., Karathanou, L., Kotsias, E., Tsofliou, F., Tsigga, M. and Grammatikopoulou, M.G., 2017. Diet quality, overweight and daily monetary allowance of Greek adolescents. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health.
- Killingback, C., Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2017. Older people's adherence to community-based group exercise programmes: A multiple-case study. BMC Public Health, 17 (1).
- Farrance, C., Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2016. Adherence to community based group exercise interventions for older people: A mixed-methods systematic review. PREVENTIVE MEDICINE, 87, 155-166.
- Hassapidou, M., Daskalou, E., Tsofliou, F., Tziomalos, K., Paschaleri, A., Pagkalos, I. and Tzotzas, T., 2015. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in preschool children in Thessaloniki, Greece. HORMONES-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENDOCRINOLOGY AND METABOLISM, 14 (4), 615-622.
- Hassapidou, M., Papadimitriou, K., Athanasiadou, N., Tokmakidou, V., Pagkalos, I., Vlahavas, G. and Tsofliou, F., 2011. Changes in body weight, body composition and cardiovascular risk factors after long-term nutritional intervention in patients with severe mental illness: an observational study. BMC Psychiatry, 11, 31.
- Tsofliou, F., Fyfe, C.L., Matheson, I., Jackson, D.M., Horgan, G.W., Wahle, K.W.J., Ahren, B., Williams, L.M. and Sneddon, A.A., 2009. Modulation of fasted and postprandial plasma lipids in healthy volunteers byadietary mixture of omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid. Journal of Food Lipids, 16 (4), 499-513.
- Ahrén, B., Mari, A., Fyfe, C.L., Tsofliou, F., Sneddon, A.A., Wahle, K.W., Winzell, M.S., Pacini, G. and Williams, L.M., 2009. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid plus n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on insulin secretion and estimated insulin sensitivity in men. Eur J Clin Nutr, 63 (6), 778-786.
- Sneddon, A.A., Tsofliou, F., Fyfe, C.L., Matheson, I., Jackson, D.M., Horgan, G., Winzell, M.S., Wahle, K.W.J., Ahren, B. and Williams, L.M., 2008. Effect of a conjugated linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acid mixture on body composition and adiponectin. Obesity (Silver Spring), 16 (5), 1019-1024.
- Hadjicharalambous, M., Georgiades, E., Kilduff, L.P., Turner, A.P., Tsofliou, F. and Pitsiladis, Y.P., 2006. Influence of caffeine on perception of effort, metabolism and exercise performance following a high-fat meal. J Sports Sci, 24 (8), 875-887.
- Maraki, M., Tsofliou, F., Pitsiladis, Y.P., Malkova, D., Mutrie, N. and Higgins, S., 2005. Acute effects of a single exercise class on appetite, energy intake and mood. Is there a time of day effect? Appetite, 45 (3), 272-278.
- Tsofliou, F., Pitsiladis, Y.P., Malkova, D., Wallace, A.M. and Lean, M.E.J., 2003. Moderate physical activity permits acute coupling between serum leptin and appetite-satiety measures in obese women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, 27 (11), 1332-1339.
- Tsofliou, F., Lara, J.J. and Lean, M.E.J., 2003. Dietary fat and obesity: Increasing concern or old hat? European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 105 (8), 389.
- Gill, J.M.R., Caslake, M.J., McAllister, C., Tsofliou, F., Ferrell, W.R., Packard, C.J. and Malkova, D., 2003. Effects of short-term detraining on postprandial metabolism, endothelial function, and inflammation in endurance-trained men: dissociation between changes in triglyceride metabolism and endothelial function. firstname.lastname@example.org. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 88 (9), 4328-4335.
- Fairbairn, P., Tsofliou and Dyall, S.C., 2017. The relationship between circulating omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, cognitive function and dual task gait speed is different in non-frail and pre-frail older women. In: Lipids and Brain IV 8-11 October 2017 Nancy, France.
- Lumley, R., Tsofliou, F., Lara, J., Sheppard, Z. and Clark, C., 2016. A survey exploring characteristics of older people attending lunch cubs in South-West of England. E154.
- Lumley, R., Tsofliou, F., Lara, J., Sheppard, Z. and Clark, C., 2016. Attending lunch clubs is associated with greater compliance for Dietary Reference Values (DRVs) among older people in South-West England. E153.
- Tsofliou, F., Apostolou, A., Vlahavas, G. and Karagiozoglou-Lampoudi, T., 2012. Differences in metabolic profile between young obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and obese controls. In: Magkou, V. and Tafidou, K., eds. Aspen’s Clinical Nutrition Week 29 January-1 February 2011 Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Tsofliou, F., Marakis, G., Kontopoulou, L. and Karagiozoglou, T., 2010. Evaluation of malnutrition in hospitalised patients in Greece. In: Nutrition Society Summer Meeting 13-17 July 2009 Surrey. E136.
- Farrance, Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2015. Evaluating the Views of Participants and Adherence Rates of Community Based Group Exercise Interventions: A Mixed Methods Systematic Review. In: World Confederation of Physical Therapy Congress, Singapore.
- Farrance, Tsofliou, F. and Clark, C., 2015. Understanding the Views of Older People in Adhering to Community Based Group Exercise Interventions: A Qualitative Systematic Review. In: World Confederation of Physical Therapy Congress, Singapore.
- Karim Khaled. Innovative dietary intervention to promote healthy eating towards a Mediterranean style diet in obese women of childbearing age-a feasibility study
- Clare Farrance, 2016. Tackling the invisible burden of physical inactivity in the elderly.
- Paul Fairbairn, 2018. Investigating the effects of omega-3 fatty acids and synergistic nutrients and exercise on mobility and cognition in the older adult
Profile of Teaching PG
- Contemporary Nutrition, Leve 7 MNutr & MSc Nutrition & Behaviour
Profile of Teaching UG
- Community Health and Wellbeing, Level 6
- Contemporary Nutrition Level 6 & 7 , BSc(Hons) Nutrition and BSc(Hons)Clinical Exercise Science
- Research Methodologies II, Level 5,BSc (Hons) Nutrition & BSc(Hons)Clinical exercise
- • Mapping community food programs that support people to access and use locally produced fresh food in Bournemouth and Poole (Bournemouth University. Grants Academy Small Grant., 01 May 2015). Completed
- • An on-line, web-based resource on Public Health and Obesity Prevention for education of Health Care Professionals (CEL Fusion Funding, 17 Jun 2014). Awarded
- Collate data of outreach activities of Health Science, FHSS Widening Participation Steering Group Meeting
- Collect and Review Faculty data on grants submissions per gender, HSS Faculty Athena SWAN
- PGCE in Associate Fellow (2013)
- PhD in Nutrition (Department of Human Nutrition, Medical School, University of Glasgow, 2004)
- MSc in Human Nutrition specialised in Clinical Nutrition (Department of Human Nutrition, Medical School, University of Glasgow, 2000)
- 3 years Scholarship for postgraduate studies in UK (The State Scholarships Foundation (I.K.Y) for postgraduate studies, 1999)
- Nutrition Society, Fellow (2003-),
- member of the Sustainable Food City Partnership Working Group on Knowledge Transfer and Innovation at BU