Dr Roya Haratian
- 01202 965307
- rharatian at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Electronic Science and Engineering
- Poole House P122, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Roya Haratian is Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy, Charted Engineer (CEng) with UK Engineering Council and Principal Academic in Electronic Science and Engineering at Department of Design and Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Bournemouth University - UK. She is leader of Athena SWAN, which is AdvanvceHE Gender Equality Charter, and Inclusivity Process within the department which has led to successful Athena SWAN Bronze Award in 2021.
She is covering multidisciplinary topics such as Mechatronics and Control System Design for final year undergraduate and master programs and interested in research area mainly under umbrella of these topics with application in different industries whereas she is leading the Mechatronics/Electronics route of department's curriculum from L4, L5, L6 and L7 whereas she is programme leader for Masters of Engineering courses.
She was awarded a PhD in Electronic Engineering from Queen Mary University of London, QMUL followed by a MSc and BSc in Electrical and Electronic Engineering... Her PhD thesis was about flexibility of on-body sensing systems. She also worked as an Associate Lecturer at QMUL and a Research Associate (post-doctorate) at Bristol Robotics Lab, working in the field of on-body sensing systems and processing of bio-signals with application in Human-Machine Interaction. Prior to joining QMUL, she had three years experience of lecturing and research in field of Electronics and Communication Systems Engineering including resource allocation in wireless sensor networks.
She is currently supervising PhD students and if you are interested in a research, Master or PhD level research under her supervision and willing to work with her in her research area , please feel free to contact her. Several thesis topics, as well as MSc and undergraduate projects, are available.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
- Haratian, R., 2023. On-body Sensing Technologies and Signal Processing Techniques: Addressing Safety in Human Machine Collaboration within Industrial Settings. In preparation.
- Haratian, R., 2023. Digital Filtering and Signal Decomposition: A Priori and Adaptive Approaches in Body Area Sensing Systems. Biomedical Engineering and Computational Biology, 14 (1-12).
- Haratian, R., 2022. Motion Capture Sensing Technologies and Techniques: A Sensor Agnostic Approach to Address Wearability Challenges. Sensing and Imaging, 23 (1).
- Sapkota, M.S., Apeh, E., Hadfield, M., Haratian, R., Adey, R. and Baynham, J., 2022. SURROGATE-ASSISTED PARAMETRIC CALIBRATION USING DESIGN OF EXPERIMENT PLATFORM WITHIN DIGITAL TWINNING. International Journal of Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements, 10 (2), 158-171.
- Sapkota, M.S., Apeh, E., Hadfield, M., Haratian, R., Adey, R. and Baynham, J., 2021. An approach for adaptive model performance validation within digital twinning. International Journal of Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements, 9 (3), 213-225.
- Haratian, R., Timotijevic, T. and Phillips, C., 2016. Reducing power and increasing accuracy of on-body sensing in motion capture application. IET Signal Processing, 10 (2), 133-139.
- Haratian, R., Twycross-Lewis, R., Timotijevic, T. and Phillips, C., 2014. Toward flexibility in sensor placement for motion capture systems: A signal processing approach. IEEE Sensors Journal, 14 (3), 701-709.
- Bancroft, A. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022 - Proceedings. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Haratian, R., 2022. Physiological Signals Monitoring Assistive Technology in Interaction with Machines to Address Healthy Aging. In: Roya Haratian 6-8 June 2022 The 18th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Assessment Management.
- Haratian, R. and Samira, A.-N., 2022. A Review of Balancing Methods for Total Knee Replacements. In: The 18th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Assessment Management 6-9 June 2022 London.
- Haratian, R., 2021. On-body Sensing Systems: Motion Capture for Health Monitoring. In: The 17th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Asset Managment 14-18 June 2021 London.
- Haratian, R., 2019. Assistive Wearable Technology for Mental Wellbeing: Sensors and Signal Processing Approaches. In: IEEE International Conference on Frontiers of Signal Processing. 25-27 September 2019 France. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8938054 IEEE.
- Haratian, R. and Timotijevic, T., 2018. On-body sensing and signal analysis for user experience recognition in human-machine interaction. 2018 4th International Conference on Frontiers of Signal Processing, ICFSP 2018, 50-55.
- Haratian, R., 2018. Intelligent Joystick Sensing the User's Emotion and Providing Biofeedback. In: 32nd Human Computer Interaction Conference 2-6 July 2018 Belfast. Proceedings of 32nd International Conference in Human Computer Interaction.
- Haratian, R., Phillips, C. and Timotijevic, T., 2012. A PCA-based technique for compensating the effect of sensor position changes in motion data. IS'2012 - 2012 6th IEEE International Conference Intelligent Systems, Proceedings, 126-131.
- Haratian, R., Phillips, C. and Timotijevic, T., 2012. A data-driven functional PCA filter for compensating the effect of sensor position changes in motion data. BODYNETS 2012 - 7th International Conference on Body Area Networks.
- Haratian, R. and Sharafat, A.R., 2009. Better QoS and less power in wireless ad hoc networks by distributed power control using power and SINR-based pricing functions. 2009 International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing, WCSP 2009.
- Haratian, R., Rasti, M. and Sharafat, A.R., 2009. Evaluation of cellular distributed power control algorithms in wireless ad hoc networks. 2009 International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing, WCSP 2009.
- Haratian, R. and et al., 2021. Athena SWAN: BU Design and Engineering Department. AdvanceHE.
- Haratian, R., 2022. Inclusive Curriculum: Mechanical and Electronic System Design. In: Bournemouth University Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022.
- Adaptive Simulation in Digital Twin, Co-supervisor
- Tribology of Sliding Contacts, Co-supervisor, Completed 2022
- BioMechatronics for Human Joint Transducers, Co-supervisor
Profile of Teaching PG
- Real-time Control for Mechatronics (Control System Design): Unit Leader
Profile of Teaching UG
- L6: Mechatronics: Unit Leader
- L6: Advanced Technology [Discontinued]
- L6: Research Based Electronics (Biomechatronics) [Discontinued]: Unit Leader
- L5: Electronics Engineering Simulation
- L4: Electrical and Electronics Principles: Unit Leader
- L6: Mechanical and Electronic System Design: Unit Leader
Digital Bio-electronic and Bio-feedback, invited lecture, 05 Jun 2022 more
Royal Institute Master Class
- Research Degree (PhD Examination), External Examiner
- Taught Programme (Electrical & Electronic/Mechanical Engineering/Robotics), External Examiner
- Royal Institute, Masterclass Design and Delivery (2022), Digital Bio-Electronic and Bio-Feedback
- Conference, Committee Member, Reviewer
- Journal, Reviewer
- Programme Leader, Master of Engineering Courses
- Organising Committee, Rep. from SciTech Faculty, BU SURE: Showcasing UG Students Research Excellence (2020)
- Reviewer, Panel Member, UOA12 (Engineering) REF (Research Excellence Framework)
- PhD Examiner, Viva Chair, PGR Examination
- Deputy Chair, BU Departmental Athena SWAN Lead Forum
- Inclusivity Leader, BU Design and Engineering Inclusivity Committee and Athena SWAN
- Research Ethics Champion (2016-2019), Science and Technology Research Ethics Committee
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- AdvanceHE News, Equality Award Ceremony, Advance HE pays tribute to providers promoting equality in higher education: Roya Haratian was quoted regarding the impact of Athena SWAN within her department (15 Mar 2023)
- Keynote Speaker: Brockenhurst STEM Awards celebrates students with ‘talents to help improve the way we live’; Opening presentation regarding her multidisciplinary research in On-body Sensing Systems (15 Dec 2022)
- Royal Institute, Masterclass Curriculum Design and Delivery: Digital Bio-Electronic & BioFeedback for GCSE level school students to inspire them to pursue a career in STEM specifically female students (18 Jun 2022-15 May 2023)
- Design and Engineering SWAN Application Success! BU Research Blog | Design and Engineering SWAN Application Success! | Bournemouth University (01 Dec 2021)
- Nominated for Ada Lovelace Day at BU celebrating women in STEM from Design & Engineering department; BU Research Blog | women in STEM | Bournemouth University (15 Oct 2021)
- Engineering Inclusion Forum (2021-2022)
- Programme Leadership (2020-2021)
- Research Leadership (2019)
- Athena SWAN Bronze Award (Advance HE, 2021)
- Certificate of Programme Leadership (Bournemouth University, 2021)
- Senior Fellowship of High Education Academy (Advance HE, 2021)
- BSc. Electrical and Electronic Engineering (First Class Honours)
- Certificate of Completion Engineering Inclusion Programme (Katalytic, 2021-2022)
- Charted Engineer (UK Engineering Council)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (AdvanceHE, 2019)
- MSc Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Distinction)
- PhD Electronic Engineering
- IEEE, Member, https://www.ieee.org/
- IET, Member, https://www.theiet.org/
- UK Engineering Council, Member, https://www.engc.org.uk/