Dr Roya Haratian
- 01202 965307
- rharatian at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Electronic Science and Engineering
- Poole House P122, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Roya Haratian is Senior Fellow of Higher Education Academy and Senior Academic in Electronic Science and Engineering at Department of Design and Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Bournemouth University. She is co-leader of Athena SWAN and Inclusivity Process within the department which has led to successful Athena SWAN bronze award in 2021. She is covering multidisciplinary topics such as Mechatronics and Control System Design for final year undergraduate and master programs and interested in research area mainly under umbrella of these topics with application in different industries where as she is leading the Mechatronics/Electronics rout of department's curriculum from L4, L5, L6 and L7. She was awarded a PhD in Electronics Engineering from Queen Mary University of London, QMUL. Her PhD thesis was about flexibility of on-body sensing systems using signal processing and machine learning approaches. She also worked as an Associate Lecturer at QMUL and a Research Associate (post-doctorate) at Bristol Robotics Lab, working in the field of on-body sensing systems and processing of bio-signals with application in Human-Machine Interaction... Prior to joining QMUL, she had three years experience of lecturing and research in field of Electronics and Communication Systems Engineering. Her research interests also include resource allocation in wireless sensor networks.
She is currently supervising PhD students and if you are interested in a research, Master or PhD level research under her supervision and willing to work with her in her research area , please feel free to contact her. Several thesis topics, as well as MSc and undergraduate projects, are available.more
- Sapkota, M.S., Apeh, E., Hadfield, M., Haratian, R., Adey, R. and Baynham, J., 2021. An approach for adaptive model performance validation within digital twinning. International Journal of Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements, 9 (3), 213-225.
- Haratian, R., Timotijevic, T. and Phillips, C., 2016. Reducing power and increasing accuracy of on-body sensing in motion capture application. IET Signal Processing, 10 (2), 133-139.
- Haratian, R., Twycross-Lewis, R., Timotijevic, T. and Phillips, C., 2014. Toward flexibility in sensor placement for motion capture systems: A signal processing approach. IEEE Sensors Journal, 14 (3), 701-709.
- Haratian, R., 2021. On-body Sensing Systems: Motion Capture for Health Monitoring. In: The 17th International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Asset Managment 14-18 June 2021 London.
- Haratian, R., 2019. Assistive Wearable Technology for Mental Wellbeing: Sensors and Signal Processing Approaches. In: IEEE International Conference on Frontiers of Signal Processing. 25-27 September 2019 France. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8938054 IEEE.
- Haratian, R. and Timotijevic, T., 2018. On-body sensing and signal analysis for user experience recognition in human-machine interaction. 2018 4th International Conference on Frontiers of Signal Processing, ICFSP 2018, 50-55.
- Haratian, R., 2018. Intelligent Joystick Sensing the User's Emotion and Providing Biofeedback. In: 32nd Human Computer Interaction Conference 2-6 July 2018 Belfast. Proceedings of 32nd International Conference in Human Computer Interaction.
- Haratian, R., Phillips, C. and Timotijevic, T., 2012. A PCA-based technique for compensating the effect of sensor position changes in motion data. IS'2012 - 2012 6th IEEE International Conference Intelligent Systems, Proceedings, 126-131.
- Haratian, R., Phillips, C. and Timotijevic, T., 2012. A data-driven functional PCA filter for compensating the effect of sensor position changes in motion data. BODYNETS 2012 - 7th International Conference on Body Area Networks.
- Haratian, R. and Sharafat, A.R., 2009. Better QoS and less power in wireless ad hoc networks by distributed power control using power and SINR-based pricing functions. 2009 International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing, WCSP 2009.
- Haratian, R., Rasti, M. and Sharafat, A.R., 2009. Evaluation of cellular distributed power control algorithms in wireless ad hoc networks. 2009 International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing, WCSP 2009.
- Adaptive Simulation in Digital Twin, Co-supervisor
- Tribology of Sliding Contacts, Co-supervisor, Completed 2022
- BioMechatronics for Human Joint Transducers, Co-supervisor
Profile of Teaching PG
- Real-time Control for Mechatronics (Control System Design): Unit Leader
Profile of Teaching UG
- Engineering Simulation
- Mechatronics: Unit Leader
- Advanced Technology
- Research Based Electronics (Biomechatronics): Unit Leader
- Electronics Engineering Simulation
- Electrical and Electronics Principles: Unit Leader
- Mechanical and Electronic System Design: Unit Leader
- Ethics Representative, SciTech Ethics Committee
- Athena SWAN lead, Inclusivity Committee
- Leader, Design and Engineering Department Athena SWAN-Inclusivity Committee
- Research Ethics Champion, Science and Technology Research Ethics Committee