Dr Steph Allen
- 01202 964203
- stephaniea at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Steph Allen has been working at Bournemouth University since 2002 and is a fused lecturer in the FMC’s Learning Development Team.
Steph works with students intensely around practical and technical academic skills with students at all levels (UG – PhD) throughout the FMC faculty and wider. Specialist interests focus on holistic academic and personal support in an ever-changing and highly marketised HE environment. Throughout her years in HE Steph has taught at Masters and Doctoral level, as well as at all levels of large undergraduate cohorts in Marketing programmes. She promotes and proactively utilises real-life project-based learning with national and international organisations.
Key interests: assessment, grading, and feedback/forward, academic offences, and academic integrity.
Steph actively seeks to make a positive impact within the institution by understanding and challenging policies, procedures, and practices for positive change to enhance the academic and student community.
Her roles encompass that of a blended professional, engaging in teaching, research, and professional practice... She is involved in launching, leading, devising, and driving forward the University’s strategic priorities in Teaching and Learning, aligned to the overall University Strategy, within the faculty, classroom, community, and professional arena.
Steph has been Head of HE, a programme leader, a lecturer, and international partnerships coordinator. Steph has also led multiple international partnerships, focusing on recruitment and student experience. She is currently a Senior Lecturer and a trade union activist/representative focused on working conditions.
She frequently guest lectures in universities and institutions worldwide: China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Ukraine, and the Middle East. She also draws heavily on her previous experiences in STEM-related career paths and London based advertising agencies to add context to her teaching.
Steph graduated from the University of Southampton with a doctorate in Education, a BA in Post Compulsory Education Training, and a Masters in Marketing Communications from Bournemouth University. She holds a raft of professional and academic credentials that span education, marketing, and Trade Union qualifications. Steph has received over 37 student-awarded ‘You’re Brilliant’ Certificates, and was nominated twice for the Vice Chancellor’s Award. She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.more
Examining Change: The Future of Learning Development in HE
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
Peace, justice and strong institutions
"Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels"
Partnership for the Goals
"Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development"
- Bickle, E., Mayer, M. and Allen, S., 2022. Learning development 2030. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, 25 (Special Edition, ALDinHE Conference Proceedings and Reflections).
- Bickle, E., Allen, S. and Mayer, M., 2021. The use of virtual drop-in sessions during COVID-19 as a means increase engagement with Learning Development. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education.
- Birks, M., Mills, J., Allen, S. and Tee, S., 2020. Managing the mutations: Academic misconduct Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. International Journal for Educational Integrity, 16 (1).
- Allen, S.F. and Onyia, O.P., 2012. Peer Assessments of GPW: Infusing fairness into students’ assessment of peer contributions. Research in Higher Education, 17.
- Allen, S., 2023. Academic Integrity: Tales of the Unexpected. Poole: Bournemouth University.
- Fusion Learning Conference Proceedings 2023. Bournemouth University: FLIE.
- Polkinghorne, M. et al., 2023. Fusion Learning Conference 2023 - Proceedings. Poole, Dorset, UK, BH12 5BB: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Conference 2021 - Supplement. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022 - Proceedings. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Bickle, E., Allen, S. and Mayer, M., 2023. The Future of Learning Development: Two Visions. In: Syska, A. and Buckley, C., eds. How to Be a Learning Developer in Higher Education: Critical Perspectives, Community and Practice. Routledge.
- Allen, S., 2013. End of the Day at Holes Bay. Dorset A Photographic Journey Through Towns & Villages. Bournemouth: Newsquest Media (Southern) Ltd, 133.
- Allen, S., 2012. December: Winter colours on Bournemouth seafront. Dorset A Photographic Journey in an Olympic Year. Bournemouth: Newsquest Media (Southern) Ltd, 163.
- Thurston, J. and Polkinghorne, M., 2022. Students as Researchers. In: Fusion Learning Conference - Innovation and Excellence in the Pandemic 28 June-29 July 2021 Bournemouth University: UK. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S., 2021. Academic Integrity: Campaigning Now and Beyond. In: SRHE Conference 2021, (Re)connecting, (Re)building: Higher Education in Transformative Times 6-10 December 2021 online. https://srhe.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/SRHE_Timetable_2021-2.pdf SRHE.
- Mayer, M., Allen, S. and Bickle, E., 2021. Challenges and solutions to combating predatory essay mills: supporting student integrity in UK higher education. In: SRHE Conference 2021, (Re)connecting, (Re)building: Higher Education in Transformative Times 6-10 December 2021 Online. https://srhe.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/SRHE_Timetable_2021-2.pdf SRHE.
- Allen, S.F., 2017. Questioning the Grade: understanding the complexity of student grade enquiries in Higher Education. In: CELebrate 2017 13 June 2017 Bournemouth University. ///Users/stephallen/Downloads/CELebrate2017%20Conference%20handbook%20(1).pdf, 18 Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S.F., 2015. The Curious World of Grade Grubbing in HE:Perspectives from Students and Academics. In: SRHE 9-11 December 2015 Cardiff. https://www.srhe.ac.uk/conference2015/abstracts/0188.pdf London: SRHE.
- Bickle, E., Allen, S., Mayer, M. and Naran, M., 2023. Examining change: The future of Learning Development in Higher Education. The Society for Educational Studies.
- Allen, S. and Wright, A., 2021. Hidden Lives – Pulse Staff Survey (February 2021 data): The BU Trade Union’s Joint Review to the Joint H&S Committee. UCU BU.
- Allen, S., 2019. Missing Pension Service Contributions: A working conditions report. University and College Union - Bournemouth University Branch.. Bournemouth: UCU BU.
- Allen, S., 2013. Three-D Issue 21: Grade grubbing. Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association.
- Allen, S.. Not Just One Essay Format: A Reader for Undergraduates. A Reader for BU Undergraduates 2012 - 2016.
- Allen, S., 2017. Questioning the Grade: Understanding the Complexity of Student Grade Enquiries in Higher Education. PhD Thesis. University of Southampton, School of Education.
- Allen, S. and Bickle, E., 2023. Academic Integrity and Artificial Intelligence: A Student Led R/Evolution. In: Fusion Conference, Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S., Bickle, E. and Holley, D., 2023. Revolution or Evolution? Artificial Intelligence (AI) and The Mechanics of Writing. In: Fusion Conference, Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S., Bickle, E. and Mayer, M., 2022. Academic Integrity: Explore, Examine, Enthuse, Educate and Expand. In: FLIE Conference 2022.
- Allen, S. and Budka, M., 2021. Contract Cheating: Preparing Assignment Briefs to Enhance Academic Integrity. In: Fusion Learning Conference 2021.
- Allen, S., Mayer, M. and Bickle, E., 2021. Enhancing Academic Integrity: Avoiding Academic Offences During Covid-19. In: Fusion Learning Conference 2021.
- Allen, S., Bickle, E. and Mayer, M., 2021. Enhancing Academic Integrity: Avoiding Academic Offences During COVID-19. In: Fusion Learning Conference 2021.
- Allen, S., 2015. Grade Grubbing: Student Expectations and Academic Assessment. In: SRHE Conference.
- PhD Supervision. Academic Integrity and related thesis topics
Profile of Teaching PG
- Marketing Communications: Academic Development Series
- Media and Marketing Communications
- Research Methodology and Methods
- Postgraduate Certificate Intellectual Property: Academic Integrity
- Computer Animation framework: Academic Development Series
- LLM Law: Academic Development Series
- Journalism: Academic Development Series
- MA Media and Communications: Academic Development Series
- Dissertations 2010 -
Profile of Teaching UG
- Marketing Communications
- Communications and Marketing
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Fundamentals of Advertising
- Fundamentals of Public Relations
- Ethics: NCCA Undergraduate Framework
- Research Methods
- Continuing Academic Development
- Cross- Cultural Communications
- Dissertation Supervisor
- LLB Law: Academic Development Series
- Multi Media Journalism: Academic Development Series
- Dissertations 2010 -
Academic integrity in Online Learning Environment, Online - Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University, KSA, 03 Oct 2023 more
Academic integrity in Online Learning Environment
Viewing change through a positive lens: The use of, Online, 20 Jun 2023 more
Viewing change through a positive lens: The use of Appreciative Inquiry within educational research. Online.
The Accidental Researcher: Extracting Truths to .., Bournemouth University, 23 Feb 2022 more
BU Law Research Series
UK Higher Education: Teaching & Learning, SIAS University: Zhengzhou, China, 28 Nov 2021 more
Global Festival of Learning: East Meets West
Ethics beyond academia: looking towards industry, Bournemouth University, 13 Nov 2018 more
NCCA Postgraduate Framework
The Brand is King: A UK Perspective, Communication University of China, Beijing, 14 Dec 2016 more
Communication University of China, Beijing
UK Training for the Media Production Industry, Communication University of China, Beijing, 28 Jun 2016 more
Communication University of China, Beijing
Researching across Borders: Comparative Views, Communication University of China, Beijing, China, 27 Jun 2016 more
Communication University of China, Beijing, China
Researching across Borders, BUV - Vietnam, 15 Dec 2015 more
Research Lecture Series
Research and You, British University of Vietnam. Hanoi, 27 Feb 2015 more
Research in UK Higher Education, Communication University of China, Beijing, 17 Jun 2014 more
Communication University of China, Beijing
09 May 2014 more
Questioning the Grade - perspectives from Vietnam
Questioning the Grade - perspectives from Vietnam, British University Vietnam, 09 May 2014 more
Questioning the Grade - perspectives from Vietnam
Continuing Education for Global Academics, National Taipei University of Education, Taiwan, 19 Apr 2013 more
Marketing Communications: Ukraine and UK, Kyiv College of Economics, Kyiv, Ukraine, 24 Dec 2011 more
Media and Communication in the UK, Zayed University, Abu Dhabi., 28 Apr 2010 more
Creative research for media studies, HCT Abu Dhabi Womens College, 27 Apr 2010 more
The Brand is King, Communication University of China, Beijing, 12 Jan 2010 more
Communication University of China, Beijing. China.
Computer Animation Industry in the UK:Connections, Wuhan Technical School, Wuhan, China, 04 Nov 2009 more
- Examining change: The future of Learning Development in Higher Education. (Society for Educational Studies, 01 Sep 2022). Awarded
- The Lived Experience of Learning Development Practitioners: Being, Thinking, Doing, and Reflecting (Society for Research in Higher Education, 01 Mar 2022). In Progress
- QR in Covid (Bournemouth University, 18 May 2021). Awarded
- Internationalising Higher Education (British Council, 01 Mar 2016). In Progress
- Association for Learning Developers ALDinHE, Co-Chair: Artificial Intelligence (2023-)
- UCU Southern Region, Treasurer (2018-)
- Communications University of China, Beijing, Visiting Professor (2007-)
- Member, Task and Finish Group: Generative Artificial Intelligence
- Member, Working Group: Assessment and Feedback: Quality Enhancement
- International Partnerships Coordinator, International Partnerships
- Programme Leader, Access to Higher Education - Business
- Programme Leader, Chartered Institute of Marketing e-CIM
- Programme Leader, Chartered Institute of Marketing Certificate
- BU Lead for establishing society events, Oriental Culture Educational Society
- Programme Leader, FdA Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations
- Member, Quality Assurance Enhancement Group (QAEG)
- Project Coordinator, EMMA Conference 2013. https://www.media-management.eu/emma-conferences/bournemouth-2013/
- Faculty Representative (FMC), Academic Integrity Working Group
- Academic Representative to Senate (FMC), Senate
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2015-09-25/bu-holds-inaugural-international-commencement-ceremony
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/events/international-commencement-ceremony-0
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/2017-international-commencement-ceremony
- Branch Secretary/Membership Secretary, BU University and College Union
- Advisor, Global BU (ASEAN)
- Journal of Academic Ethics, Anonymous peer review, 26 Nov 2023
- F1000Research, Postpublication review, 26 Oct 2023
- International Journal for Educational Integrity, 05 Jan 2023
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- AI Assistance or AI Replacement? An Academic Integrity Conversation (28 Nov 2023-28 Dec 2023)
- AI-text detection: the challenges for academic integrity (15 Nov 2023)
- Artificial Intelligence in Digital Society: UK Ukraine (08 Nov 2023)
- A Ghostwriter in the Machine Academic Integrity Implications of Machine Translation and Generative AI (12 May 2023)
- The Student View of Contract Cheating (10 May 2023)
- Thinking differently about ‘academic integrity - Towards a Continuum of Academic Misconduct (02 May 2023)
- Foundational literacies and academic integrity skills: Ideas for supporting students in an artificial intelligence era (04 Apr 2023)
- Over-Represented Students in Academic Conduct Problems (08 Feb 2023)
- An Evening with Lubna Shuja: President of the Law Society for England and Wales (08 Feb 2023)
- Academic Integrity and Artificial Intelligence: Insights for Teaching and Learning (25 Jan 2023)
- Threats to Academic Integrity and How to Address Them (14 Dec 2022)
- Psychological Perspectives on Academic Misconduct (13 Dec 2022)
- Contract Cheating – Solutions for Prevention and Identification: (07 Dec 2022)
- The Murky Waters of File Sharing (07 Dec 2022)
- Plagiarism in the Disrupted HE Landscape (22 Nov 2022)
- 5G Technology Community Discussion Group Series (11 Oct 2019-11 Jan 2020)
- Global perpectives:making connections - 6117 miles in a matter of milliseconds. Good morning Taiwan! (19 Jan 2012)
- Chinese Cultural Event at BU (13 Oct 2011)
- Awards Presenter (04 Nov 2009-06 Nov 2009)
- European Conference on Ethics and Integrity in Education, Academic Integrity Networks, 12 Dec 2023, University of Derby
- Teachers, Teaching and Teacher Education: Trajectories, Threats and Transformations, Artificial Intelligence: Teaching Threat or Transformative Tool?, 07 Sep 2023, Oriel College, Oxford
- Society for Educational Studies Colloquium 2023, Artificial Intelligence: Teaching Threat or Transformative Tool?, 07 Sep 2023, University of Oxford
- European Conference on Ethics and Integrity in Academia 2023, The Benefits of Academic Integrity Networks, 12 Jul 2023, University of Derby
- ALDinHE Conference 2023, Academic Integrity and the Role of Learning Development, 13 Jun 2023, University of Portsmouth
- ALDcon23, Academic Integrity and the role of Learning Development, 13 Jun 2023, University of Portsmouth
- ALDinHE Conference 2022, Learning Development 2030, 14 Jun 2022, University of Northampton
- ALDinHE Conference 2022, Learning Development 2030, 10 Jun 2022, University of Northampton
- SRHE Conference 2021 - (Re)connecting, (Re)building: Higher Education in Transformative Times, Academic Integrity: Campaigning Now and Beyond, 06 Dec 2021, online
- UCU Congress, For a national campaign on workload and casualisation, 29 May 2021, Online
- Working Pensions Conference, 19 Mar 2021, Bournemouth University
- Working Pensions Conference, Pension Service Contributions: Pensions Conference, 17 Sep 2019, Bournemouth University
- Festival of Learning: SIAS International University, Cross cultural education - East meets West: A comparison, 27 Jun 2016, SIAS International University, Xinzheng, China
- Aniwow!, Digital frontiers: boundaries unravelled, 27 Oct 2014, Communication University of China, Beijing, China
- Aniwow, Computer Animation: Study and employment in the UK, 26 Oct 2010, Communication University of China
- Aniwow - Festival of Imagination Computer Animation, Computer Animation in HE: East meets West, 04 Nov 2009, Communication University of China, Beijing, China
- Academic Integrity: Expert Panel Advisor, Advisor. Epigeum
- Aurora, 24 Nov 2023, Certificate of Completion
- Unconscious Bias (IPPPM), 16 Mar 2018
- RKEO Academic & Researcher Induction, 27 Sep 2017
- PhD in Education (University of Southampton, 2017)
- MA in Marketing Communications (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- BA (Hons) in Post Compulsory Education (University of Southampton, 2006)
- PGCE in in Education (University of Southampton, 2002)
- Certified Leading Practitioner of Learning Development - CELP (Association for Learning Development in Higher Education, 2023)
- Senior Fellow (Higher Education Academy, 2015)
- 'You're Brilliant ' student awards - 40+ (Student Union SUBU)
- International Center for Academic Integrity, Member (2022-), https://academicintegrity.org/
- Society for Educational Studies, Member (2022-), https://soc-for-ed-studies.org.uk/
- Academic Integrity Network: London & South East (LSEAIN), Member (2021-),
- British Educational Research Association (BERA), Member (2021-), https://www.bera.ac.uk/
- European Network for Academic Integrity (ENAI), Member (2021-), https://www.academicintegrity.eu/wp/
- QAA, Member (2021-),
- Spinnaker Group, Member (2021-),
- SRHE, Member (2021-),
- University and College Union, Member (2014-),
- ALDinHE, Member (2012-), https://aldinhe.ac.uk/
- Chartered Institute of Marketing, Member (2002-),
- SEDA, Member,
- ALDinHE Association for Learning Development in Higher Education
Social Media Links
- Public facing site representing over 400 staff, https://ucubournemouth.wordpress.com/
External Media and Press
- Please Professor, I want some more, Times Higher Education, 06 Mar 2022. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/please-professor-i-want-some-more/2002088.article
- International Experts visit CUC Animation Festival, China Central Television, 05 Nov 2009. http://english.cctv.com/live/index.shtml
- UK Animation Experts visit CUC Annual Festival of Animation, Interviewed and discussed the latest animation films on the global market, analysis of the artistry behind chosen box-office hits, review of specialist animation films, and predictions for the future of animation technology., Zhèng, W, 07 Jan 2022