Dr Steph Allen
- 01202 964203
- stephaniea at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Steph Allen has been working at Bournemouth University since 2002 and is a fused lecturer in the FMC’s Learning Development Team. She is also a Trades Union Representative.
Her roles encompass that of a blended professional, involved in teaching, research, and third leg activitiesSteph has been Head of HE, a lecturer, an international partnerships co-ordinator and a trade union activist focused on academic working conditions. Steph has also led on multiple international partnerships, including student experience and guest lecturing in universities and institutions worldwide. She also draws heavily on her previous experiences in STEM related career paths to add context to undergraduate teaching and Higher Education H & S interests.
Steph works with students intensely around practical and technical academic skills withstudents at all levels (UG – PhD) throughout the FMC faculty and wider. Specialist interests focus holistic academic and personal support in an ever-changing and highly marketised HE environment especially around assessment, grading, and feedback/forward...
Further, Steph actively seeks to make a positive impact for the institution by understanding and challenging policies and practices that could better serve the academic and student community.
Steph graduated from the University of Southampton with a doctorate in Education and holds a raft of professional and academic credential that span across education, marketing and Trade Union qualifications. Steph has received over 17 student awarded ‘You’re Brilliant’ Certificates, and nominated for the Vice Chancellor’s Award (2016). She is also Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.more
- Birks, M., Mills, J., Allen, S. and Tee, S., 2020. Managing the mutations: Academic misconduct Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. International Journal for Educational Integrity, 16 (1).
- Allen, S.F. and Onyia, O.P., 2012. Peer Assessments of GPW: Infusing fairness into students’ assessment of peer contributions. Research in Higher Education, 17.
- Allen, S.F., 2017. Questioning the Grade: understanding the complexity of student grade enquiries in Higher Education. In: CELebrate 2017 13 June 2017 Bournemouth University. ///Users/stephallen/Downloads/CELebrate2017%20Conference%20handbook%20(1).pdf, 18 Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S.F., 2015. The Curious World of Grade Grubbing in HE:Perspectives from Students and Academics. In: SRHE 9-11 December 2015 Cardiff. https://www.srhe.ac.uk/conference2015/abstracts/0188.pdf London: SRHE.
- Allen, S., 2013. Three-D Issue 21: Grade grubbing. Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Continued Academic Development with a focus on Marketing Communications and Law
- Media and Marketing Communications
- Research Methodology and Methods
- Continuing Academic Development - MAMC and LLM
Profile of Teaching UG
- Marketing Communications
- Communications and Marketing
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Fundamentals of Advertising
- Fundamentals of Public Relations
- Continuing Academic Development
- Research Methods
- Continuing Academic Development
- Cross- Cultural Communications
- Dissertation Supervisor
- SIAS China, Guest Lecturer (2016-), https://microsites.bournemouth.ac.uk/tourism/2016/06/29/global-festival-of-learning-with-events-at-sias-university-in-china-bufol16/
- Communications University of China, Beijing, Visiting Professor (2007-2011)
- FMC: Academic Integrity Rep, Academic Integrity Working Group (2021/22)
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2015-09-25/bu-holds-inaugural-international-commencement-ceremony
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/events/international-commencement-ceremony-0
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/2017-international-commencement-ceremony
- Branch Secretary/Membership Secretary, BU University and College Union
- Member, Women's Academic Network. http://blogs.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/category/womens-academic-network/
- Advisor, Global BU (ASEAN)
- Unconscious Bias (IPPPM), 16 Mar 2018
- RKEO Academic & Researcher Induction, 27 Sep 2017