Dr Steph Allen
- 01202 964203
- stephaniea at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Steph Allen has been working at Bournemouth University since 2002 and is a fused lecturer in the FMC’s Learning Development Team.
Steph works with students intensely around practical and technical academic skills with students at all levels (UG – PhD) throughout the FMC faculty and wider. Specialist interests focus on holistic academic and personal support in an ever-changing and highly marketised HE environment. Throughout her years in HE Steph has taught at Masters and Doctoral level, as well as at all levels of large undergraduate cohorts in Marketing programmes. She promotes and proactively utilises real-life project-based learning with national and international organisations.
Key interests: assessment, grading, and feedback/forward, academic offences, and academic integrity.
Steph actively seeks to make a positive impact within the institution by understanding and challenging policies, procedures, and practices for positive change to enhance the academic and student community.
Her roles encompass that of a blended professional, engaging in teaching, research, and professional practice... She is involved in launching, leading, devising, and driving forward the University’s strategic priorities in Teaching and Learning, aligned to the overall University Strategy, within the faculty, classroom, community, and professional arena.
Steph has been Head of HE, a programme leader, a lecturer, and international partnerships coordinator. Steph has also led multiple international partnerships, focusing on recruitment and student experience. She is currently a Senior Lecturer and a trade union activist/representative focused on working conditions.
She frequently guest lectures in universities and institutions worldwide: China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Ukraine, and the Middle East. She also draws heavily on her previous experiences in STEM-related career paths and London based advertising agencies to add context to her teaching.
Steph graduated from the University of Southampton with a doctorate in Education, a BA in Post Compulsory Education Training, and a Masters in Marketing Communications from Bournemouth University. She holds a raft of professional and academic credentials that span education, marketing, and Trade Union qualifications. Steph has received over 37 student-awarded ‘You’re Brilliant’ Certificates, and was nominated twice for the Vice Chancellor’s Award. She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.more
Examining Change: The Future of Learning Development in HE
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
Peace, justice and strong institutions
"Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels"
Partnership for the Goals
"Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development"
- Bickle, E., Mayer, M. and Allen, S., 2022. Learning development 2030. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, 25 (Special Edition, ALDinHE Conference Proceedings and Reflections).
- Bickle, E., Allen, S. and Mayer, M., 2021. The use of virtual drop-in sessions during COVID-19 as a means increase engagement with Learning Development. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education.
- Birks, M., Mills, J., Allen, S. and Tee, S., 2020. Managing the mutations: Academic misconduct Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. International Journal for Educational Integrity, 16 (1).
- Allen, S.F. and Onyia, O.P., 2012. Peer Assessments of GPW: Infusing fairness into students’ assessment of peer contributions. Research in Higher Education, 17.
- Roper, L. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Conference 2021 - Supplement. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Bancroft, A. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022 - Proceedings. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S., 2013. End of the Day at Holes Bay. Dorset A Photographic Journey Through Towns & Villages. Bournemouth: Newsquest Media (Southern) Ltd, 133.
- Allen, S., 2012. December: Winter colours on Bournemouth seafront. Dorset A Photographic Journey in an Olympic Year. Bournemouth: Newsquest Media (Southern) Ltd, 163.
- Thurston, J. and Polkinghorne, M., 2022. Students as Researchers. In: Fusion Learning Conference - Innovation and Excellence in the Pandemic 28 June-29 July 2021 Bournemouth University: UK. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S., 2021. Academic Integrity: Campaigning Now and Beyond. In: SRHE Conference 2021, (Re)connecting, (Re)building: Higher Education in Transformative Times 6-10 December 2021 online. https://srhe.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/SRHE_Timetable_2021-2.pdf SRHE.
- Mayer, M., Allen, S. and Bickle, E., 2021. Challenges and solutions to combating predatory essay mills: supporting student integrity in UK higher education. In: SRHE Conference 2021, (Re)connecting, (Re)building: Higher Education in Transformative Times 6-10 December 2021 Online. https://srhe.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/SRHE_Timetable_2021-2.pdf SRHE.
- Allen, S.F., 2017. Questioning the Grade: understanding the complexity of student grade enquiries in Higher Education. In: CELebrate 2017 13 June 2017 Bournemouth University. ///Users/stephallen/Downloads/CELebrate2017%20Conference%20handbook%20(1).pdf, 18 Bournemouth: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S.F., 2015. The Curious World of Grade Grubbing in HE:Perspectives from Students and Academics. In: SRHE 9-11 December 2015 Cardiff. https://www.srhe.ac.uk/conference2015/abstracts/0188.pdf London: SRHE.
- Allen, S. and Wright, A., 2021. Hidden Lives – Pulse Staff Survey (February 2021 data): The BU Trade Union’s Joint Review to the Joint H&S Committee. UCU BU.
- Allen, S., 2019. Missing Pension Service Contributions: A working conditions report. University and College Union - Bournemouth University Branch.. Bournemouth: UCU BU.
- Allen, S., 2013. Three-D Issue 21: Grade grubbing. Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association.
- Allen, S., 2017. Questioning the Grade: Understanding the Complexity of Student Grade Enquiries in Higher Education. PhD Thesis. University of Southampton, School of Education.
- Allen, S., Bickle, E. and Mayer, M., 2022. Academic Integrity: Explore, Examine, Enthuse, Educate and Expand. In: FLIE Conference 2022.
- Allen, S. and Budka, M., 2021. Contract Cheating: Preparing Assignment Briefs to Enhance Academic Integrity. In: Fusion Learning Conference 2021.
- Allen, S., Mayer, M. and Bickle, E., 2021. Enhancing Academic Integrity: Avoiding Academic Offences During Covid-19. In: Fusion Learning Conference 2021.
- Allen, S., Bickle, E. and Mayer, M., 2021. Enhancing Academic Integrity: Avoiding Academic Offences During COVID-19. In: Fusion Learning Conference 2021.
- Allen, S., 2015. Grade Grubbing: Student Expectations and Academic Assessment. In: SRHE Conference.
- PhD Supervision. Academic Integrity and related thesis topics
Profile of Teaching PG
- Marketing Communications: Academic Development Series
- Media and Marketing Communications
- Research Methodology and Methods
- Postgraduate Certificate Intellectual Property: Academic Integrity
- Computer Animation framework: Academic Development Series
- LLM Law: Academic Development Series
- Journalism: Academic Development Series
- MA Media and Communications: Academic Development Series
Profile of Teaching UG
- Marketing Communications
- Communications and Marketing
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Fundamentals of Advertising
- Fundamentals of Public Relations
- Ethics: NCCA Undergraduate Framework
- Research Methods
- Continuing Academic Development
- Cross- Cultural Communications
- Dissertation Supervisor
- LLB Law: Academic Development Series
- Multi Media Journalism: Academic Development Series
The Accidental Researcher: Extracting Truths to .., Bournemouth University, 23 Feb 2022 more
BU Law Research Series
UK Higher Education: Teaching & Learning, SIAS University: Zhengzhou, China, 28 Nov 2021 more
Global Festival of Learning: East Meets West
Ethics beyond academia: looking towards industry, Bournemouth University, 13 Nov 2018 more
NCCA Postgraduate Framework
The Brand is King: A UK Perspective, Communication University of China, Beijing, 14 Dec 2016 more
Communication University of China, Beijing
UK Training for the Media Production Industry, Communication University of China, Beijing, 28 Jun 2016 more
Communication University of China, Beijing
Researching across Borders: Comparative Views, Communication University of China, Beijing, China, 27 Jun 2016 more
Communication University of China, Beijing, China
Researching across Borders, BUV - Vietnam, 15 Dec 2015 more
Research Lecture Series
Research and You, British University of Vietnam. Hanoi, 27 Feb 2015 more
Research in UK Higher Education, Communication University of China, Beijing, 17 Jun 2014 more
Communication University of China, Beijing
Continuing Education for Global Academics, National Taipei University of Education, Taiwan, 19 Apr 2013 more
Marketing Communications: Ukraine and UK, Kyiv College of Economics, Kyiv, Ukraine, 24 Dec 2011 more
Media and Communication in the UK, Zayed University, Abu Dhabi., 28 Apr 2010 more
Creative research for media studies, HCT Abu Dhabi Womens College, 27 Apr 2010 more
The Brand is King, Communication University of China, Beijing, 12 Jan 2010 more
Communication University of China, Beijing. China.
Computer Animation Industry in the UK:Connections, Wuhan Technical School, Wuhan, China, 04 Nov 2009 more
- Examining change: The future of Learning Development in Higher Education. (Society for Educational Studies, 01 Sep 2022). Awarded
- The Lived Experience of Learning Development Practitioners: Being, Thinking, Doing, and Reflecting (Society for Research in Higher Education, 01 Mar 2022). In Progress
- QR in Covid (Bournemouth University, 18 May 2021). Awarded
- Internationalising Higher Education (British Council, 01 Mar 2016). In Progress
- UCU Southern Region, Treasurer (2018-)
- Communications University of China, Beijing, Visiting Professor (2007-)
- International Partnerships Coordinator, International Partnerships
- Programme Leader, Access to Higher Education - Business
- Programme Leader, Chartered Institute of Marketing e-CIM
- Programme Leader, Chartered Institute of Marketing Certificate
- BU Lead for establishing society events, Oriental Culture Educational Society
- Programme Leader, FdA Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations
- Member, Quality Assurance Enhancement Group (QAEG)
- Project Coordinator, EMMA Conference 2013. https://www.media-management.eu/emma-conferences/bournemouth-2013/
- Faculty Representative (FMC), Academic Integrity Working Group
- Academic Representative to Senate (FMC), Senate
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2015-09-25/bu-holds-inaugural-international-commencement-ceremony
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/events/international-commencement-ceremony-0
- Academic Host, International Commencement Ceremony. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/2017-international-commencement-ceremony
- Branch Secretary/Membership Secretary, BU University and College Union
- Advisor, Global BU (ASEAN)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Plagiarism in the Disrupted HE landscape (29 Nov 2022)
- 5G Technology Community Discussion Group Series (11 Oct 2019-11 Jan 2020)
- Global perpectives:making connections - 6117 miles in a matter of milliseconds. Good morning Taiwan! (19 Jan 2012)
- Chinese Cultural Event at BU (13 Oct 2011)
- Awards Presenter (04 Nov 2009-06 Nov 2009)
- ALDinHE Conference 2022, Learning Development 2030, 14 Jun 2022, University of Northampton
- SRHE Conference 2021 - (Re)connecting, (Re)building: Higher Education in Transformative Times, Academic Integrity: Campaigning Now and Beyond, 06 Dec 2021, online
- UCU Congress, For a national campaign on workload and casualisation, 29 May 2021, Online
- Working Pensions Conference, 19 Mar 2021, Bournemouth University
- Working Pensions Conference, Pension Service Contributions: Pensions Conference, 17 Sep 2019, Bournemouth University
- Festival of Learning: SIAS International University, Cross cultural education - East meets West: A comparison, 27 Jun 2016, SIAS International University, Xinzheng, China
- Aniwow!, Digital frontiers: boundaries unravelled, 27 Oct 2014, Communication University of China, Beijing, China
- Aniwow, Computer Animation: Study and employment in the UK, 26 Oct 2010, Communication University of China
- Aniwow - Festival of Imagination Computer Animation, Computer Animation in HE: East meets West, 04 Nov 2009, Communication University of China, Beijing, China
- Unconscious Bias (IPPPM), 16 Mar 2018
- RKEO Academic & Researcher Induction, 27 Sep 2017
- PhD in Education (University of Southampton, 2017)
- MA in Marketing Communications (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- BA (Hons) in Post Compulsory Education (University of Southampton, 2006)
- PGCE in in Education (University of Southampton, 2002)
- Senior Fellow (Higher Education Academy, 2015)
- 'You're Brilliant ' student awards - 40+ (Student Union SUBU)
- Society for Educational Studies, Member (2022-), https://soc-for-ed-studies.org.uk/
- Academic Integrity Network: London & South East (LSEAIN), Member (2021-),
- British Educational Research Association (BERA), Member (2021-), https://www.bera.ac.uk/
- QAA, Member (2021-),
- Spinnaker Group, Member (2021-),
- SRHE, Member (2021-),
- University and College Union, Member (2014-),
- ALDinHE, Member (2012-), https://aldinhe.ac.uk/
- Chartered Institute of Marketing, Member (2002-),
- SEDA, Member,
- ALDinHE Association for Learning Development in Higher Education
Social Media Links
- Public facing site representing over 400 staff, https://ucubournemouth.wordpress.com/
External Media and Press
- Please Professor, I want some more, Times Higher Education, 06 Mar 2022. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/please-professor-i-want-some-more/2002088.article
- International Experts visit CUC Animation Festival, China Central Television, 05 Nov 2009. http://english.cctv.com/live/index.shtml
- UK Animation Experts visit CUC Annual Festival of Animation, Interviewed and discussed the latest animation films on the global market, analysis of the artistry behind chosen box-office hits, review of specialist animation films, and predictions for the future of animation technology., Zhèng, W, 07 Jan 2022