Dr Susan Dewhurst
- 01202 965693
- sdewhurst at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Deputy Head of Department Rehabilitation and Sport Sciences
- Dorset House D102, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Susan Dewhurst is Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology in the Department of Sport and Physical Activity. Having previously worked as a lecturer and researcher in academic institutions in Scotland, NW England, Denmark and Rome, and more recently as a Senior Scientific Officer at the Ministry of Defence, she brings a broad range of teaching and scientific experiences to BU.
Susan's primary research interests focus on helping older individuals maintain independence and quality of life through scientific research which can be readily used and translated into practical applications.
Her research has featured in a variety of applied physiology based journals including, Frontiers in Ageing Neuroscience, Experimental Brain Research and Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology
- Yasar, Z., Dewhurst, S. and Hayes, L., 2019. Peak Power Output Is Similarly Recovered After Three- and Five-Days’ Rest Following Sprint Interval Training in Young and Older Adults. Sports, 7 (4), 94-103.
- Bampouras, T.M. and Dewhurst, S., 2018. A comparison of bilateral muscular imbalance ratio calculations using functional tests. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 32 (8), 2216-2220.
- Thomas, N.M., Donovan, T., Dewhurst, S. and Bampouras, T.M., 2018. Visually fixating or tracking another person decreases balance control in young and older females walking in a real-world scenario. Neuroscience Letters, 677, 78-83.
- Maslivec, A., Bampouras, T.M., Dewhurst, S., Vannozzi, G., Macaluso, A. and Laudani, L., 2018. Mechanisms of head stability during gait initiation in young and older women: A neuro-mechanical analysis. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 38, 103-110.
- Maslivec, A., Bampouras, T.M. and Dewhurst, S., 2017. Head flexion and different walking speeds do not affect gait stability in older females. Human Movement Science, 55, 87-93.
- Thomas, N.M., Dewhurst, S., Bampouras, T.M., Donovan, T., Macaluso, A. and Vannozzi, G., 2017. Smooth pursuits decrease balance control during locomotion in young and older healthy females. Experimental Brain Research, 235 (9), 2661-2668.
- Dixon, H., Baker, C.E., Baker, J.S., Dewhurst, S. and Hayes, L.D., 2017. Sodium bicarbonate ingestion improves Yo-Yo intermittent recovery test I performance: a randomized crossover trial. NUTRITION AND DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS, 9, 23-27.
- Thomas, N.M., Bampouras, T.M., Donovan, T. and Dewhurst, S., 2016. Eye movements affect postural control in young and older females. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 8 (SEP).
- Ruggiero, L., Dewhurst, S. and Bampouras, T.M., 2016. Validity and reliability of two field-based leg stiffness devices: Implications for practical use. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 32 (4), 415-419.
- Bampouras, T.M. and Dewhurst, S., 2016. Carrying shopping bags does not alter static postural stability and gait parameters in healthy older females. Gait and Posture, 46, 81-85.
- Thomas, N.M., Dewhurst, S. and Bampouras, T.M., 2015. Homogeneity of fascicle architecture following repeated contractions in the human gastrocnemius medialis. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 25 (6), 870-875.
- Bazzucchi, I., De Vito, G., Felici, F., Dewhurst, S., Sgadari, A. and Sacchetti, M., 2015. Effect of exercise training on neuromuscular function of elbow flexors and knee extensors of type 2 diabetic patients. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 25 (5), 815-823.
- Dewhurst, S., Peacock, L. and Bampouras, T.M., 2015. Postural stability of older female scottish country dancers in comparison with physically active controls. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 23 (1), 128-132.
- Dewhurst, S., Nelson, N., Dougall, P.K. and Bampouras, T.M., 2014. Scottish country dance: Benefits to functional ability in older women. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 22 (1), 146-153.
- Dewhurst, S., Nelson, N., Dougall, P.K. and Bampouras, T.M., 2014. Scottish Country Dance: Benefits to Functional Ability in Older Women. JOURNAL OF AGING AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, 22 (1), 146-153.
- Dewhurst, S., Bargh, M.J., Davidson, C. and Bampouras, T.M., 2014. Loaded and unloaded marching: Implications for fluid replacement. Open Sports Sciences Journal, 7 (SPEC.ISS1), 16-21.
- Dewhurst, S. and Bampouras, T.M., 2014. Intraday reliability and sensitivity of four functional ability tests in older women. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 93 (8), 703-707.
- Dewhurst, S., MacAluso, A., Gizzi, L., Felici, F., Farina, D. and De Vito, G., 2010. Effects of altered muscle temperature on neuromuscular properties in young and older women. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 108 (3), 451-458.
- Dewhurst, S., Riches, P.E. and De Vito, G., 2007. Moderate alterations in lower limbs muscle temperature do not affect postural stability during quiet standing in both young and older women. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 17 (3), 292-298.
- Dewhurst, S., Graven-Nielsen, T., De Vito, G. and Farina, D., 2007. Muscle temperature has a different effect on force fluctuations in young and older women. Clinical Neurophysiology, 118 (4), 762-769.
- Dewhurst, S., Riches, P.E., Nimmo, M.A. and De Vito, G., 2005. Temperature dependence of soleus H-reflex and M wave in young and older women. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 94 (5-6), 491-499.
- Relationship between head position, visual focus and balance during walking as a risk factor of falls in older age (THE DOWAGER COUNTESS ELEANOR PEEL TRUST, 01 Nov 2014). Awarded