Dr Rebecca Neal
- 01202 965272
- rneal at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology
- Bournemouth Gateway Building BGB 504, St Pauls Lane, Bournemouth, BH8 8GP
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Rebecca is a Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology and is the Programme Leader for the Sport and Exercise Science degree programme. She leads physiology units and supports a variety of other taught elements across the Department of Rehabilitation and Sport Sciences.
Current research areas include supporting applied physiology research in extreme environments like high altitude expeditions and with professional sports teams, like AFC Bournemouth Women's team. She is currently working on internally and externally funded research projects investigating novel tools for the management and treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus and is also looking to incorporate her knowledge of thermal physiology to help develop health strategies for climate change, with a focus on low and middle income countries.
Rebecca is currently leading a Clinical Trial utilising BU's state-of-the-art Institute of Medical Imaging and Visualisation MRI scanner to examine brown fat. In November 2022 Rebecca is leading an international group of research collaborators on a high altitude expedition, examining physiological, cognitive function and exercise performance... Rebecca was awarded an Early Career Research Seed Award from The British Academy (South-West Hub) to support development of this research and professional practice network.
Previously, she has conducted research in the Extreme Environments Laboratory at the University of Portsmouth in the areas of Exercise and Environmental Physiology and Sports Performance with the English Institute of Sport, British Triathlon, GlaxoSmithKline and the Ministry of Defence. Other projects include work with the International Ice Swimming Association and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships with Innovate UK and associated commercial groups.
Educated at the University of Birmingham (BSc Hons) and King’s College London (MSc), Rebecca completed her PhD in 2016 at the University of Portsmouth with the English Institute of Sport, entitled: Effect of combined stressors on heat acclimation and temperate exercise.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
"Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts"
- Mohan, V., Branney, J., Clark, C., Neal, R., Jagannathan, M., Paungmali, A. and Perri, M., 2022. Reliability and preliminary reference values for the Total Faulty Breathing Scale (TFBS): A cross-sectional study. Health Science Reports, 5 (3).
- Corbett, J., Massey, H.C., Costello, J.T., Tipton, M.J. and Neal, R.A., 2022. The effect of medium-term heat acclimation on endurance performance in a temperate environment. European Journal of Sport Science, 22 (2), 190-199.
- Costello, J.T., Rendell, R.A., Furber, M., Massey, H.C., Tipton, M.J., Young, J.S. and Corbett, J., 2018. Effects of acute or chronic heat exposure, exercise and dehydration on plasma cortisol, IL-6 and CRP levels in trained males. Cytokine, 110, 277-283.
- Corbett, J., Rendell, R.A., Massey, H.C., Costello, J.T. and Tipton, M.J., 2018. Inter-individual variation in the adaptive response to heat acclimation. Journal of Thermal Biology, 74, 29-36.
- Rendell, R.A., Tipton, M.J. and Corbett, J., 2018. Reply to “Letter to the editor: Combined effects of hypoxia and heat: Importance of hypoxic dose”. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 314 (2), R230.
- Rendell, R.A., Prout, J., Costello, J.T., Massey, H.C., Tipton, M.J., Young, J.S. and Corbett, J., 2017. Effects of 10 days of separate heat and hypoxic exposure on heat acclimation and temperate exercise performance. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 313 (3), R191-R201.
- Neal, R.A., Corbett, J., Massey, H.C. and Tipton, M.J., 2016. Effect of short-term heat acclimation with permissive dehydration on thermoregulation and temperate exercise performance. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 26 (8), 875-884.
- Neal, R.A., Massey, H.C., Tipton, M.J., Young, J.S. and Corbett, J., 2016. Effect of Permissive Dehydration on Induction and Decay of Heat Acclimation, and Temperate Exercise Performance. Front Physiol, 7, 564.
- Corbett, J., Neal, R.A., Lunt, H.C. and Tipton, M.J., 2014. Adaptation to heat and exercise performance under cooler conditions: a new hot topic. Sports Med, 44 (10), 1323-1331.
- Rendell, R., Massey, H., Costello, J., Tipton, M. and Corbett, J., 2019. Inter-individual variation in the adaptive response to heat acclimation; impact on temperate performance. In: International Conference of Environmental Ergonomics 7-12 July 2019 Amsterdam.
- Kate Rattley. Physiological responses to exercise in the menopause, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Methods (Sports) (Level 5/Year2)
- Unit lead: Functional Anatomy (Level 4/Year 1)
- Principles of Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Advances in Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Fitness Assessments in Sport, Exercise and Health
- Principles of Training
- Research Expedition
Exercising in Extremes, Bournemouth University, 15 Mar 2018 more
Cross-faculty invited lecture
- Developing stakeholder relationships to build a global community for multidisciplinary health-based environmental research (The British Academy, 12 Oct 2022). In Progress
- The effects of repeated moderate overnight hypoxia on glucose homeostasis, appetite, bodyweight, inflammation and oxidative stress in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus (Prince Faisal bin Fahad Sports Award, 06 Sep 2021). In Progress
- The effect of inorganic nitrate supplementation on brown fat activation and quantity in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus (Bournemouth University Institute of Medical Imaging and Visualisation, 01 Jun 2021). In Progress
- Reliability and Development of Normative Data of the Total Faulty Breathing Scale (TFBS) (ACORN, 01 May 2020). Completed
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 29 Apr 2019
- Experimental Physiology, 04 Feb 2019
- Journal of thermal biology, 25 Jul 2018
- Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Anonymous peer review, 05 Jan 2018
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Sport & Exercise Science education - impact on the UK economy (15 May 2019)
- Cafe Scientifique: The Physiology of living life to the extreme (04 Dec 2018)
- Beat the heat workshop (19 Jun 2018)
- Pint of Science Global Festival (14 May 2018)
- International Conference on Environmental Ergonomics, 06 Sep 2022, Niagara Falls, Canada
- Canadian Physiotherapy Association Congress 2022, A Reliability Study to explore the assessment of Breathing Function Using the Total Faulty Breathing Scale in a Female Populations, 12 May 2022, Canada (Virtual)
- Virtual International Conference on the Physiology and Pharmacology of Temperature Regulation, Impact of ice swimming and body morphology on body temperature in cold-acclimatised ice swimmers, 26 Oct 2020, Online (Vancouver, Canada)
- Variability: How to Deal with It, Interpret It, and Learn from It, Individual variability in the response to heat and hypoxic adaptation, with particular reference to combined stressor approaches, 05 Oct 2020, Online (London, UK)
- Virtual Environmental Ergonomics, The effect of combined stressors on heat acclimation and endurance performance, 25 Jun 2020, Online
- Extreme Environmental Physiology: Life at the limits, Seminar panel member: Understanding the role of extreme physiology to improve human performance and health, 02 Sep 2019, University of Portsmouth, UK
- International Conference of Environmental Ergonomics, Inter-individual variation in the adaptive response to heat acclimation; impact on temperate performance, 07 Jul 2019, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- English Institute of Sport National Conference, The effect of combined stressors on heat acclimation and temperate exercise, 12 Dec 2016, Hinkley, UK
- 6th International Conference on the Physiology and Pharmacology of Temperature Regulation, Combining heat, dehydration and hypoxia: effects on performance, 05 Dec 2016, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- 21st Annual Congress of the European College of Sport Science, The influence of dehydration on the time-course of heat acclimation and temperate exercise performance, 06 Jul 2016, Vienna, Austria
- Biomedical Basis of Elite Performance, The influence of dehydration on long-term heat acclimation and temperate exercise, 06 Mar 2016, Nottingham, UK
- 16th International Conference for Environmental Ergonomics, The influence of short-term heat acclimation with permissive dehydration on temperate exercise performance in highly trained athletes, 28 Jun 2015, Portsmouth, UK
- Investigating physiological and cognitive responses to high altitude expeditions, Research consultancy. World's Highest OCR
- ISAK Level 1 Anthopometry Course, 09 Jan 2018, International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry
- Research Councils UK Development Scheme
- PhD in Exercise Physiology (University of Portsmouth, 2017)
- MSc in Human and Applied Physiology (King's College London, 2013)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport and Exercise Science (University of Birmingham, 2012)
- Short-course in Nutrition (The Open University, 2008)
- The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Member, http://www.bases.org.uk/
- The Physiological Society, Affiliate, http://www.physoc.org/
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @BeckyNeal7