Dr Vikram Mohan
- 01202 962023
- vmohan at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Physiotherapy
- Royal London House R601, Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH1 3LT
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Vikram is an experienced Physiotherapist who completed his Bachelor and Master’s degree in Physiotherapy from Annamalai University, India and a PhD in Biomedical Sciences from Chiang Mai University, Thailand. His PhD focused on Respiratory Characteristics of Individuals with Nonspecific Low Back Pain and the Effect of Therapeutic Exercise.
He worked in a range of physiotherapy settings and locations in India, Malaysia and United Kingdom as a clinician and as a teaching faculty.
He served as a World Confederation of Physical Therapy (WCPT) Accreditation Committee Member for Bachelor Degree at Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM), Malaysia. Since 2008, he also reviewed cardio-respiratory physiotherapy units as a part of the curriculum review in UiTM. In addition, he was also appointed as a sub-committee member for Malaysian Research Assessment Instrument (MYRA) at the faculty level (2016-2017).
His research interest includes Pain and Breathing, work related musculoskeletal disorders, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) & musculoskeletal disorders and COPD & pulmonary rehabilitation.
- Razak, S., Justine, M. and Mohan, V., 2021. Relationship between anthropometric characteristics and aerobic fitness among Malaysian men and women. Journal of Exercise Rehabilitation, 17 (1), 52-58.
- Mohan, V., Paungmali, A., Sitilertpisan, P., Henry, L.J., Omar, F.A. and Azhar, F.Z., 2020. The effect of core stability training with ball and balloon exercise on respiratory variables in chronic non-specific low back pain: An experimental study. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 24 (4), 196-202.
- Mohan, V., Paungmali, A., Sitilertpisan, P., Joseph, L., Ramlan, A. and Ramlan, S.A., 2020. Improved respiratory characteristics in non-specific low back pain: Comparison of Feldenkrais method versus routine physiotherapy. Physiotherapy Practice and Research, 41 (2), 99-107.
- Mahender, Y., Hayley, R., Rebecca, D. and Vikram, M., 2020. Impact of Late Shift Rapid Response Team (RRT) Input on Length of Stay and Discharge Destination in Emergency Care. MEDICINE AND HEALTH-KUALA LUMPUR, 15 (2), 215-223.
- Rathinam, C., Mohan, V., Peirson, J., Skinner, J., Nethaji, K.S. and Kuhn, I., 2019. Effectiveness of virtual reality in the treatment of hand function in children with cerebral palsy: A systematic review. Journal of Hand Therapy, 32 (4), 426-434.e1.
- Madhanagopal, J., Singh, O.P., Mohan, V., Sathasivam, K.V., Omar, A.H. and Abdul Kadir, M.R., 2019. New Device for Intrinsic Hand Muscle Strength Measurement: An Alternative to Strain Gauge Handheld Dynamometer. Evaluation and the Health Professions, 42 (1), 103-113.
- Mohan, V., Paungmali, A., Sitilerpisan, P., Hashim, U.F., Mazlan, M.B. and Nasuha, T.N., 2018. Respiratory characteristics of individuals with non-specific low back pain: A cross-sectional study. Nursing and Health Sciences, 20 (2), 224-230.
- Mohan, V., Paungmali, A., Sitilerpisan, P., Md Dom, S., Hashim, U.F., Binti Daud, S.N. and Muthiah, M., 2018. Reliability of diaphragmatic mobility assessment: A systematic review. Polish Annals of Medicine, 25 (2), 266-271.
- Mohan, V., Paungmali, A. and Sitilertpisan, P., 2018. The science of respiratory characteristics in individuals with chronic low back pain: Interpreting through statistical perspective. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 22 (1), 11-12.
- Mohan, V., Perri, M., Paungmali, A., Sitilertpisan, P., Joseph, L.H., Jathin, R., Mustafa, M.B. and Mohd Nasir, S.H.B., 2017. Intra-rater and inter-rater reliability of total faulty breathing scale using visual observation and videogrammetry methods. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 21 (3), 694-698.
- Mohan, V., Paungmali, A. and Sitilertpisan, P., 2017. Letter to Editor: Application of neuroplasticity theory through the use of the Feldenkrais Method with a runner with scoliosis and lower quarter pain: Additional respiratory mechanics principle, implication of the Feldenkrais method for clinical practice in neuro-musculoskeletal rehabilitation. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 21 (3), 470-471.
- Mohan, V., Paungmali, A., Sitilertpisan, P., Henry, L.J., Mohamad, N.B. and Kharami, N.N.B., 2017. Feldenkrais method on neck and low back pain to the type of exercises and outcome measurement tools: A systematic review. Polish Annals of Medicine, 24 (1), 77-83.
- Mohan, V., Paungmali, A. and Sitilertpisan, P., 2017. Altered breathing pattern valuation relatively to dyspnea assessment and treatment for low back pain: Effects of clinical practice. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice, 27, e1-e2.
- Mohan, V., Rahman, N.F.H.A., Md Yunus, N.F., Abd Razak, N.S., Selvarajan, K.K. and Das, S., 2017. Alteration in peripheral muscle strength among overweight and obese individuals: A systematic review. Journal of Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences University, 6 (2), 19-32.
- Mohan, V., Hashim, U.F., Md Dom, S., Sitilerpisan, P. and Paungmali, A., 2017. Reliability of diaphragmatic mobility assessment using a real time ultrasound among non-specific low back pain. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 16 (3), 443-447.
- Mohan, V., Ahmad, N.B. and Tambi, N.B., 2016. Effect of respiratory exercises on neck pain patients: A pilot study. Polish Annals of Medicine, 23 (1), 15-20.
- Henry, L.J., Paungmali, A., Mohan, V. and Ramli, A., 2016. Feldenkrais method and movement education - An alternate therapy in musculoskeletal rehabilitation. Polish Annals of Medicine, 23 (1), 68-74.
- Kamaria, K., Vikram, M. and Ayiesah, R., 2016. Body image perception, body shape concern and body shape dissatisfaction among undergraduates students. Jurnal Teknologi, 78 (6-8), 37-42.
- Baharam, N.S., Hisham, M.Y., Mohan, V. and Mohamad, N., 2016. Effect of static stretching on muscle activation during sit to stand among low back pain population. Jurnal Teknologi, 78 (6-8), 7-11.
- Mohan, V., Justine, M., Jagannathan, M., Bt Aminudin, S. and Bt Johari, S.H., 2015. Preliminary study of the patterns and physical risk factors of work-related musculoskeletal disorders among academicians in a higher learning institute. Journal of Orthopaedic Science, 20 (2), 410-417.
- Sokran, S.N.B.B.M., Mohan, V., Kamaruddin, K., Sulaiman, M.D., Awang, Y., Othman, I.R.B. and Victor, S.J.P., 2015. Hand grip strength and myocardial oxygen consumption index among coronary artery bypass grafting patients. Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences, 40 (4), 335-340.
- Henry, L.J., Jafarzadeh Esfehani, A., Ramli, A., Ishak, I., Justine, M. and Mohan, V., 2015. Patterns of work-related musculoskeletal disorders among workers in palm plantation occupation. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, 27 (2), NP1785-NP1792.
- Sundaraganesh, K., Mohandas, K., Kirubakaran, K.G. and Vikram, M., 2015. Effect of Wobble Board Balance Training Program among Athletes with Functionally Unstable Ankle Joint. MEDICINE AND HEALTH-KUALA LUMPUR, 10 (1), 17-22.
- Leonard, J.H., Ali, J.E., Vikram, M., Saraswathy, V., Hanif, F.M.R., Nihayah, M. and Ayiesah, R., 2013. Risk of mental health disorders among farmers involved in palm plantation occupation. Clinica Terapeutica, 164 (5), 403-406.
- Hussain, R.I., Henry, L.J., Ramli, A., Othman, S.N., Mohan, V. and Mohamad, H.F., 2013. Investigation of the morphology of longus colli among patients with neck pain using ultrasonography - A preliminary study. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 12 (4), 419-426.
- Ahmad, H., Justine, M., Othman, Z., Mohan, V. and Mirza, F.T., 2013. The outcomes of short term inspiratory muscle training (IMT) combined with chest physiotherapy in hospitalized COPD patients. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 12 (4), 398-404.
- Justine, M., Tahirah, F. and Mohan, V., 2013. Health-related quality of life, lung function and dyspnea rating in COPD patients. Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease - Pulmonary Series, 79 (3-4), 116-120.
- Joseph, L., Mohd Ali, K., RaniIi, A., Rajadurai, S., Mohan, V., Justine, M. and Rasdi, H.F.M., 2013. Fear of needles does not influence pain tolerance and sympathetic responses among patients during a therapeutic needling. Polish Annals of Medicine, 20 (1), 1-7.
- Mohan, V., Dzulkifli, N.H., Justine, M., Haron, R., Leonard Joseph, H. and Rathinam, C., 2012. Intrarater reliability of chest expansion using cloth tape measure technique. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science, 11 (4), 307-311.
- Vikram, M., Sundaraganesh, K., Justine, M., Kurup, M. and Leonard, J.H., 2012. Evaluation of postural control impairment using Balance Error Scoring System among athletes with ankle injury: An effective tool in daily clinical practice. Clinica Terapeutica, 163 (5), 383-386.
- Mohan, V., Eng, H.S. and Das, S., 2012. Effect of exercise on the vital signs and inflammatory biomarkers: Scientific views. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 28 (6), 318-319.
- Mohan, V., Ku Aziz, K.B., Kamaruddin, K., Leonard, J.H., Das, S. and Jagannathan, M.G., 2012. Effect of intercostal stretch on pulmonary function parameters among healthy males. EXCLI Journal, 11, 284-290.
- Mohan, V. and Das, S., 2012. Impact of intensity versus duration of cycling on coronary disease mortality. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, 19 (5), 1205.
- Mohan, V. and Das, S., 2012. Cardiorespiratory parameters before and after acupuncture: Observations in a healthy and diseased state. Clinics, 67 (6), 673.
- Mohan, V. and Das, S., 2012. Response to: Plasma IL-6 levels during arm exercise in persons with spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord, 50 (8), 643.
- Mohan, V. and Joseph, L., 2012. Clinical implications for the effect of glucosamine sulfate iontophoresis on fasting plasma glucose levels. Hong Kong Physiotherapy Journal, 30 (1), 2-3.
- Mohan, V. and Das, S., 2012. Which types of stretching modifies biomechanical dimensions of a muscle-tendon unit? Manual Therapy, 17 (3).
- Mohan, V. and Das, S., 2012. A new insight into the field of physical exercises to employ neuroimmunological constituents as an outcome measure for depression. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 26 (3), 511.
- Hashim, A.M., Joseph, L.H., Embong, J., Kasim, Z. and Mohan, V., 2012. Tilt table practice improved ventilation in a patient with prolonged artificial ventilation support in intensive care unit. Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences, 37 (1), 54-57.
- Mohan, V., Henry, L.J., Roslizawati, N., Das, S., Kurup, M. and Gopinath, B., 2010. Effect of unsupported arm exercises on spirometry values and functional exercise tolerance of subjects with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. International Medical Journal, 17 (2), 113-116.
- Leonard, J.H., Kok, K.S., Ayiesha, R., Das, S., Roslizawati, N., Vikram, M. and Baharudin, O., 2010. Prolonged writing task: Comparison of electromyographic analysis of upper trapezius muscle in subjects with or without neck pain. Clinica Terapeutica, 161 (1), 29-33.
- Kamaria, K., Norbayah, S., Abidin, Z. and Vikram, M., 2012. Pain And Quality Of Life Among Osteoarthritis Knee Patients Based On VAS And WOMAC. 3RD ASIA-OCEANIAN CONFERENCE OF PHYSICAL REHABILITATION AND MEDICINE IN CONJUNCTION WITH XI ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC OF INDONESIAN ASSOCIATION OF PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION (PIT XI PERDOSRI), 127-132.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Handled following units; Physiotherapy in critical care, Physiotherapy in Cardio-respiratory, Physiotherapy in Gerontology, Physiotherapeutic Exercise, Physiotherapy in Paediatrics, Biomechanics and Ergonomics, Clinical condition, Pathophysiology, Clinical Practice and Guided Approximately > 50 under graduate research Students.
- New Index for fall risk prediction using lower limb msucle force signal among elderly (CHARUSAT, 03 Aug 2020). Awarded
- Reliability and Development of Normative Data of the Total Faulty Breathing Scale (TFBS) (ACORN, 01 May 2020). Awarded
- Regional Conference on Science Technology & Social Sciences, Investigation of Total Faulty Breathing Scale (TFBS) Using visual Observation and Videogrammetry Methods, 04 Dec 2016, Malaysia
- The 8th Pan-Pacific Conference on Rehabilitation, Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity in patients with knee osteoarthritis: A cross-sectional study, 17 Nov 2012, Phillippines
- First Regional Health Science and Nursing Conference, Faculty of Health Sciences, Effect of intercostals stretch on pulmonary function parameters among healthy adults, 22 Feb 2011, Malaysia
- PhD in Biomedical Sciences (Chiang Mai University, 2019)
- MSc in Cardio-Respiratory Conditions (Annamalai University, 2003)
- BSc (Hons) in Physiotherapy (Annamalai University, 1998)
- Excellence Service Award (2017)
- Quality Award (2016)
- R.P Endowment Scholarship (2002)
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, Member (2020-),
- The Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Respiratory Care, Member (2020-),
- Health and Care Professions Council, Member (2005-),
- Life Member of the Indian Association of Physiotherapist, Member,