Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Yonghun is a senior lecturer in Product design and a programme leader for BA (Hons) Product Design Futures in the Department of Design & Engineering in the Faculty of Science & Technology. He is specialised in design for inclusion and human-centred innovation. His research emphasis on how the design of products, services, system, and built environments can be both physically and psychosocially (i.e. cognitive, social, social, value etc.) inclusive so as to improve people’s wellbeing and quality of life.
His past research has centred on the exploration of both individual and community wellbeing and quality of life by using human-centred design approaches in various contexts. The research projects he worked for were sponsored by well-known bodies such as Sainsbury’s (older peoples’ supermarket shopping experience), Motability (User experience of Motability service) and Heathrow airport Ltd. (wellbeing and quality of life for local residents of Heathrow airport).
Yonghun is teaching and supervising both undergraduate and postgraduate students with an emphasis on the design process, design creativity & aesthetic awareness, and human-centred design approaches...
He is a fellow of Higher education academy (HEA), member of Institution of Engineering Designers (IED), international Inclusive design research group (IDRG), and a member of Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team at Bournemouth university.more
Research expertise: Inclusive design; Co-design/Participatory design; Human-centred design/User-centred design; Psychosocial inclusivity in design
- Zac, L. and Lim, Y.H., 2021. DYSLEXIA AND SELF-DEVELOPMENT; A PRODUCT FOR PRIMARY SCHOOL CLASSROOMS TO ENCOURAGE SOCIAL INTERACTION WITH THE INTENT OF IMPROVING SELF-ESTEEM. Proceedings of the Design Society, 1, 1323-1332.
- Lim, Y., Giacomin, J. and Nickpour, F., 2021. What Is Psychosocially Inclusive Design? A Definition with Constructs. Design Journal, 24 (1), 5-28.
- Lim, Y., Giacomin, J., Yin, Y. and Nickpour, F., 2019. A first-time investigation of psychosocial inclusivity in design: Inclusive supermarket design for older individuals. Journal of Design Research, 17 (2-4), 93-124.
- Lim, Y., Nickpour, F. and Giacomin, J., 2016. Beyond Accessible Mobility: Insights into Psychosocial Inclusivity Dimensions in Personal Transport. Studies in health technology and informatics, 229, 571-581.
- Spinelli, G., Micocci, M., Tsekleves, E., Wang, Y.H., Martin, W., Lim, Y. and Shamim, U., 2020. Contemporary themes in the design of AT for the ageing population: Materiality, co-design and cultural influences. Design of Assistive Technology for Ageing Populations, Intelligent Systems Reference Library. Springer, Cham, 41-58.
- Laschok, Z.M. and Lim, Y.H., 2021. (Accepted) Dyslexia and Self-development; A product for primary school classrooms to encourage social interaction with the intent of improving self-esteem. In: International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 21) 16-20 August 2021 Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Lim, Y., Giacomin, J. and Nickpour, F., 2018. Beyond Accessible Aisles? Psychosocial Inclusivity of Shopping Experience: an ethnographic investigation. In: DRS2018 25-28 June 2018 Limerick, Ireland.
- Lim, Y., Nickpour, F. and Giacomin, J., 2016. Mentality Shift in Inclusive Design: From Physical to Psychosocial Inclusion. In: 8th Cambridge Workshop on Universal Access and Assistive Technology (CWUAAT 16) 21-23 March 2016 Cambridge, UK.
- Lim, Y. and Nickpour, F., 2015. Psychosocial Inclusion in Design A definition and framework. In: Include 2015 17-18 September 2015 Royal College of Art, UK.
- Lim, Y. and Nickpour, F., 2015. Inclusive design: from physical to psychosocial - a literature analysis towards a definition of psychosocial dimensions in design. In: 20th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 15) 27-30 July 2015 Milan, Italy.
- Lim, Y. and Nickpour, F., 2014. Psychosocial inclusion: A Framework for Design. In: 7th Annual Student Research Conference 2014 (ResCon14) 23-26 June 2014 Brunel University London.
- Lim, Y., 2018. Psychosocial Inclusivity in Design: A Definition and Dimensions. PhD Thesis. Department of Design, Brunel University London.
- Lim, Y.. Made in Brunel (Annual design showcase of Brunel University London). Oxo Tower, Wharf, Bargehouse Street, South Bank, London, SE1 9PH. 14-17 June 2012.
- Lim, Y.. Made in Brunel (Annual design showcase of Brunel University London). Oxo Tower, Wharf, Bargehouse Street, South Bank, London, SE1 9PH. 16-19 June 2016.
- Lim, Y., Nickpour, F. and Giacomin, J.. [Poster exhibition] Mentality Shift in Inclusive Design: From Physical to Psychosocial inclusion. The 8th Cambridge Workshop on Universal Access and Assistive Technology (CWUAAT 16). University of Cambridge, UK. 22 March 2016.
- Lim, Y. and Nickpour, F.. [Poster exhibition] Psychosocial Inclusion in Design A definition and framework. Include 2015. Royal College of Art, UK. 17-18 September 2015.
- Lim, Y. and Nickpour, F.. [Poster exhibition] Inclusive design: from physical to psychosocial - a literature analysis towards a definition of psychosocial dimensions in design. 20th International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 15) Vol 9: User-Centred Design. Polytechnic University of Milan, Italy. 27-30 July 2015.
- Lim, Y. and Nickpour, F.. [Poster exhibition] Psychosocial inclusion: A Framework for Design. 7th Annual Student Research Conference 2014 (ResCon14). Bruenl University London, UK. 23-26 June 2014.
Profile of Teaching PG
- MDes Project
- Individual Masters Project (MA Industrial design)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Design Projects 1
- Design Projects 3
- Product Design Projects 2B
- Team Project
- Design Studies 1
- Design Futures Projects 2A
- Design Futures Projects 2B
- Design Futures Projects 3
Design Research Methodology: Case Study, KMITL, Thailand, 21 Aug 2021 more
Design Research Methodology: Case Study at King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang (KMITL), Thailand
- IASDR Conference, Reviewer (2019-)
- PGCert in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2020)
- PhD in Design Research (Brunel University London, UK, 2018)
- MSc in Integrated Product Design (Brunel University London, UK, 2012)
- BA (Hons) in Craft Design (Cheongju University, South Korea, 2008)
- Exceptional Support Staff 2017 Award, 6th Student Led Teaching Awards (nominee shortlist) (Brunel University London, 2017)
- 2nd winner of The BT Innovative Design Prize 2012 (Certified) (BT (British Telecom), 2012)
- Winner of the 2012 Jaguar Land Rover Design challenge (Certified) (JLR (Jaguar Land Rover), 2012)
- Joenbook Art Awards (Joenbook Art Awards, South Korea, 2007)
- KDC 36th National University Design Awards (KDC, South korea, 2007)
- Institution of Engineering Designers (IED), Member (2021-),
- Higher Education Academy (HEA), Fellow (2020-),