Professor Zoheir Sabeur
- zsabeur at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Professor of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- Poole House P322, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Zoheir Sabeur is Professor of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence at Bournemouth University (2019-present). He is also Visiting Professor of Data Science at Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, USA (2017-present). Zoheir was Science Director at the School of Electronics and Computer Science, IT Innovation Centre, University of Southampton (2009-2019). He led his data science research groups over the years in more than 30 large projects as Principal Investigator (PI). The research was mainly supported with research grants (totalling £8.5M) and awarded by the European Commission (under H2020, FP7, FP6, FP5), Innovate UK, DSTL, NERC, EPSRC and Industries. Prior to Southampton, Zoheir worked as Director and Head of Research, at BMT Group Limited (1996-2009), where he led his teams in the development of advanced information systems, in particular the PROTEUS system, for the UK Energy industry sectors and also the UK Department of Trade and Industry for assessing the short term and long term environmental impact of offshore industrial operations... Prior to that, Zoheir held several academic appointments in Computational Sciences as Senior Research Fellow at Oxford Brookes University(1993-1995), SERC Research Fellow at University of Leeds(1991-1993) and University of Strathclyde(1990-1991). He also worked as a Research Scientist in the Intensive Computing Lattice QCD Group at the University of Wuppertal, Germany (1987). Zoheir graduated with a PhD and MSc in Theoretical Physics from the University of Glasgow (1985-1990). His PhD was on: "Lattice QCD at High Density with Dynamical Fermions"., while earlier research work in his MSc was on: "The Study of the Fermion Matrix Spectral Density in Lattice QCD. This was his earliest involvement in "Data Science" using vector machines and intensive computing for investigating on the origins of hadron matter phase transitions under the UK Lattice QCD Grand-Challenge (1985-1990).
In the last decade, Zoheir's long research career, focussed more on fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence and knowledge extraction for human, natural (or industrial), processes and behaviour understanding. These are being investigated in context of various domains, some of which includes cyber-physical security in smart cities; patients chronic diseases intelligent monitoring in healthcare; environmental ecosystems adaptive behaviour due to climatic changes; and more.
Zoheir has published over 140 papers in scientific journals, conference proceedings and books. He is peer reviewer, member of international scientific committees and editing boards of various science and engineering conferences and journals. He is also an active peer reviewer of research proposals for the UK EPSRC, Dutch Research Council and European Commission. Zoheir chairs the OGC Digital Global Grid System Specification and Domain Working Groups, and co-chairs the AI and Data Science Task Group at the BDVA. He is Fellow of the British Computer Society; Fellow of IMaREST, Chartered Physicist, Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institute of Physics.more
- Albiges, T., Sabeur, Z. and Arbab-Zavar, B., 2023. Compressed Sensing Data with Performing Audio Signal Reconstruction for the Intelligent Classification of Chronic Respiratory Diseases. Sensors, 23 (3).
- Rawson, A., Brito, M. and Sabeur, Z., 2022. Spatial Modeling of Maritime Risk Using Machine Learning. Risk Analysis, 42 (10), 2291-2311.
- Rawson, A., Sabeur, Z. and Brito, M., 2022. Intelligent geospatial maritime risk analytics using the Discrete Global Grid System. Big Earth Data, 6 (3), 294-322.
- Gibb, R.G., Purss, M.B.J., Sabeur, Z., Strobl, P. and Qu, T., 2022. Global Reference Grids for Big Earth Data. Big Earth Data, 6 (3), 251-255.
- Rawson, A., Brito, M., Sabeur, Z. and Tran-Thanh, L., 2021. From conventional to machine learning methods for maritime risk assessment. TransNav, 15 (4), 757-764.
- Rawson, A., Brito, M., Sabeur, Z. and Tran-Thanh, L., 2021. A machine learning approach for monitoring ship safety in extreme weather events. Safety Science, 141.
- Arbab-Zavar, B. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2020. Multi-scale crowd feature detection using vision sensing and statistical mechanics principles. Machine Vision and Applications, 31 (4).
- Purss, M.B.J., Peterson, P.R., Strobl, P., Dow, C., Sabeur, Z.A., Gibb, R.G. and Ben, J., 2019. DataCubes: A discrete global grid systems perspective. Cartographica, 53 (4), 63-71.
- Granell, C., Sabeur, Z. et al., 2016. Future Internet technologies for environmental applications. Environmental Modelling and Software, 78, 1-15.
- Zlatev, Z., Veres, G. and Sabeur, Z., 2013. Agile data fusion and knowledge base architecture for critical decision support. International Journal of Decision Support System Technology, 5 (2), 1-20.
- Middleto, S.E., Sabeur, Z.A., Löwe, P., Hammitzsch, M., Tavakoli, S. and Poslad, S., 2013. Multi-disciplinary approaches to intelligently sharing large-volumes of real-time sensor data during natural disasters. Data Science Journal, 12.
- Havlik, D., Schade, S., Sabeur, Z.A., Mazzetti, P., Watson, K., Berre, A.J. and Mon, J.L., 2011. From sensor to observation web with environmental enablers in the future internet. Sensors, 11 (4), 3874-3907.
- Sabeur, Z.A. and Tyler, A.O., 2004. Validation and application of the PROTEUS model for the physical dispersion, geochemistry and biological impacts of produced waters. Environmental Modelling and Software, 19 (7-8), 717-726.
- Tyler, A.O., Sabeur, Z.A. and Hockley, M.C., 2002. Modelling the behaviour and environmental impact of cuttings piles during decommissioning. Underwater Technology, 25 (2), 39-50.
- Sabeur, Z.A., Tyler, A.O. and Hockley, M.C., 2000. Development of particle based modelling concepts for the simulation of jet and plume-like discharges in the marine environment. Water Studies, 7, 337-345.
- Smith, J.P., Tyler, A.O. and Sabeur, Z.A., 1998. Ecotoxicological assessment of produced waters in indonesia. Environmental Toxicology and Water Quality, 13 (4), 323-336.
- Sabeur, Z., 1993. Asymptotic Decay of Liquid Structure: Oscillatory Liquid-Vapour Density Profiles and the Fisher-Widom Line. Molecular Physics: An International Journal at the Interface Between Chemistry and Physics, 80, 755.
- Sabeur, Z., Barbour, I. and Davies, C., 1988. Lattice QCD at finite density. Physics Letters B: Nuclear Physics and Particle Physics, 215 (3), 567-572.
- Sabeur, Z. and Arbab-Zavar, B., 2021. Crowd Behaviour Understanding Using Computer Vision and Statistical Mechanics Principles. Modeling and Simulation in Science, Engineering and Technology. 49-71.
- Sabeur, Z., 2009. Data Fusion and Modelling. In: Klopfer, M., ed. SANY An Open Service Architecture for Sensor Networks. SANY Consortium, 1-165.
- Annoni, A., Bernard, L., Douglas, J., Greenwood, J., Laiz, I., Lloyd, M., Sabeur, Z., Sassen, A.-M., Serrano, J.-J. and Usländer, T., 2005. Orchestra: Developing a unified open architecture for risk management applications. Geo-information for Disaster Management. 1-17.
- Sabeur, Z., Bruno, A., Johnstone, L., Ferjani, M., Benaouda, D., Cetinkaya, D., Arbab-Zavar, B., Sallal, M. and Hardiman, B., 2022. Digital Twins for the Intelligent Detection of Malicious Activities in Urban Spaces. In: 13th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE 2022) 24-28 July 2022 New York, USA. Cognitive Computing and Internet of Things, vol. 67 published by AHFE Open Access.
- Sabeur, Z., Bruno, A., Johnstone, L., Ferjani, M., Benaouda, D., Arbab-Zavar, B., Cetinkaya, D. and Sallal, M., 2022. Cyber-Physical Behaviour Detection and Understanding using Artificial Intelligence. In: 13th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics (AHFE 2022) 24-28 July 2022 New York, USA. Cognitive Computing and Internet of Things, vol. 67 published by AHFE Open Access.
- Bruno, A., Ferjani, M., Sabeur, Z., Arbab-Zavar, B., Cetinkaya, D., Johnstone, L., Sallal, M. and Benaouda, D., 2022. High-Level Feature Extraction for Crowd Behaviour Analysis: A Computer Vision Approach. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 13374 LNCS, 59-70.
- Sabeur, Z., Angelopoulos, C.M., Collick, L., Chechina, N., Cetinkaya, D. and Bruno, A., 2021. Advanced Cyber and Physical Situation Awareness in Urban Smart Spaces. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, 259, 428-441.
- Rawson, A., Sabeur, Z. and Brito, M., 2021. GEOSPATIAL DATA ANALYSIS FOR GLOBAL MARITIME RISK ASSESSMENT USING THE DISCRETE GLOBAL GRID SYSTEM. International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 3904-3907.
- Rawson, A., Sabeur, Z. and Correndo, G., 2020. Spatial challenges of maritime risk analysis using big data. Developments in the Collision and Grounding of Ships and Offshore Structures - Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Collision and Grounding of Ships and Offshore Structures, ICCGS 2019, 275-282.
- Sabeur, Z., Zlatev, Z., Melas, P., Veres, G., Arbab-Zavar, B., Middleton, L. and Museux, N., 2017. Large scale surveillance, detection and alerts information management system for critical infrastructure. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 507, 237-246.
- Sabeur, Z.A., Correndo, G., Veres, G., Arbab-Zavar, B., Lorenzo, J., Habib, T., Haugommard, A., Martin, F., Zigna, J.M. and Weller, G., 2017. EO big data connectors and analytics for understanding the effects of climate change on migratory trends of marine wildlife. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 507, 85-94.
- Sabeur, Z.A., Melas, P., Meacham, K., Corbally, R., D’Ayala, D. and Adey, B., 2017. An integrated decision-support information system on the impact of extreme natural hazards on critical infrastructure. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 507, 302-314.
- Mayon, R., Sabeur, Z., Tan, M. and Djidjeli, K., 2016. Analysis of fluid flow impact oscillatory pressures with air entrapment at structures. Proceedings of the Coastal Engineering Conference, 35.
- Veres, G.V. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2015. Data analytics for drilling operational states classifications. 23rd European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks, Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning, ESANN 2015 - Proceedings, 409-414.
- Sabeur, Z., Doulamis, N., Middleton, L., Arbab-Zavar, B., Correndo, G. and Amditis, A., 2015. Multi-modal computer vision for the detection of multi-scale crowd physical motions and behavior in confined spaces. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 9474, 162-173.
- Correndo, G., Arbab-Zavar, B., Zlatev, Z. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2015. Context ontology modelling for improving situation awareness and crowd evacuation from confined spaces. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 448, 407-416.
- Melas, P., Correndo, G., Middleton, L. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2015. Advanced data analytics and visualisation for the management of human perception of safety and security in urban spaces. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 448, 445-454.
- Veres, G.V. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2013. Automated operational states detection for drilling systems control in critical conditions. ESANN 2013 proceedings, 21st European Symposium on Artificial Neural Networks, Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning, 53-58.
- Bonatsos, A., Middleton, L., Melas, P. and Sabeur, Z., 2013. Crime Open Data Aggregation and Management for the Design of Safer Spaces in Urban Environments. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 413, 311-320.
- Sabeur, Z., Arbab-Zavar, B., Wächter, J., Hammitzsch, M., Löwe, P., Lendholdt, M., Armigliato, A., Pagnoni, G., Tinti, S. and Omira, R., 2013. Modeling and detection of hydrodynamic trends for advancing early-tsunami warnings. Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, 40-47.
- Löwe, P., Wächter, J., Hammitzsch, M., Lendholt, M., Häner, R., Mobgraber, J. and Sabeur, Z., 2013. The evolution of disaster Early Warning systems in the TRIDEC project. Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, 48-52.
- Modafferi, S., Chakravarthy, A. and Sabeur, Z., 2013. Multi-level data fusion of environmental data in future internet applications. 21st Italian Symposium on Advanced Database Systems, SEBD 2013, 297-304.
- Usländer, T., Berre, A.J., Granell, C., Havlik, D., Lorenzo, J., Sabeur, Z. and Modafferi, S., 2013. The Future Internet Enablement of the Environment Information Space. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 413, 109-120.
- Middleton, S.E. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2011. Knowledge-based service architecture for multi-risk environmental decision support applications. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 359 AICT, 101-109.
- Mörzinger, R., Sabeur, Z., Arbab-Zavar, B. et al., 2010. Tools for semi-automatic monitoring of industrial workflows. ARTEMIS'10 - Proceedings of the 1st ACM Workshop on Analysis and Retrieval of Tracked Events and Motion in Imagery Streams, Co-located with ACM Multimedia 2010, 81-86.
- Annoni, A., Bernard, L., Douglas, J., Greenwood, J., Laiz, I., Lloyd, M., Sabeur, Z., Sassen, A.M., Serrano, J.J. and Usländer, T., 2005. Orchestra: Developing a unified open architecture for risk management applications. , 1-17.
- Sabeur, Z.A., Allsop, N.W.H., Beale, R.G. and Dennis, J.M., 1997. Wave dynamics at coastal structures: Development of a numerical model for free surface flow. Proceedings of the Coastal Engineering Conference, 1, 389-402.
- Rymell, M.C., Sabeur, Z.A., Williams, M.O., Borwell, D.M. and Tyler, A.O., 1997. Development and application of environmental models in the assessment of exploratory drilling in a sensitive coastal region, Isle of Man, UK. Society of Petroleum Engineers - SPE/UKOOA European Environment Conference 1997, EEC 1997, 257-263.
- Rymell, M.C., Sabeur, Z.A., Williams, M.O., Borwell, D.M. and Tyler, A.O., 1997. Development and application of environmental models in the assessment of exploratory drilling in a sensitive coastal region, Isle of Man, UK. SPE/UKOOA European Environmental Conference, Proceedings, 257-265.
- Sabeur, Z.A., 1996. A parallel computation of the navier-stokes equation for the simulation of free surface flows with the volume of fluid method. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 1041, 483-492.
- Correndo, G. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2015. Open data sources for the development of mobile applications and forecast of microbial contamination in bathing waters. Published.
- Andrew Rawson, 2021. Big data analytics for safer ships navigation in arctic harsh environment(s), (In progress)
- Robert Mayon, 2017. Computational Free Surface Flows and Impact on Porous Structures, (Completed)
- Tim, 2024. Sensor fusion and deep learning approaches to detect an onset Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Respiratory Diseases, (In progress)
- Sebastian, 2024. Advanced cluster and feature omics data mining for chronic respiratory diseases, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Data Science and Artificial Intelligence - MSc - Programme Leader
- Digital Health and Artificial Intelligence - MSc - Programme Leader
- Artificial Intelligence - Unit code: 249813_FST_COM_L7_2122 - Unit Leader
Profile of Teaching UG
- Cyber Situational Awareness - 65018_FST_COM_L6 - Unit Leader
- Tools and Technologies for Data Science - 68392_FST_COM_L5 - Unit Leader
Artificial Intelligence for Safer Urban Space, AI3 Science Discovery Network, 08 Dec 2021 more
Professor Sabeur will present research aspects on the deployment of new AI concepts which are supported from combined cyber and human physical behaviour observation data for intelligent machine understanding of situation awareness in urban smart spaces. The lecture will be hosted by the EPSRC AI3 Science Discovery Network chaired by the University of Southampton. Further details are found in: https://www.ai3sd.org/ai3sd-online-seminar-series/autumn-seminar-series-2021/
European Big Data Value Forum Seminars, Siemens Conference Center Vienna, Austria, 14 Nov 2018 more
Scalable EO big data analytics & Cloud platforms: Advances in AI Technologies and Data Analytics in Big Earth Observation Data Assets
Institute of Engineering and Technology Lecture, IET, Isle of Wight, 25 Jan 2018 more
Transforming Transport with Big Data: UK Instittue of Engineering and Technology Lecture
ECS Data Science Seminar Series, University of Southampton, ECS, 13 Jul 2016 more
Generic Big Data Processing for Advancing Situation Awareness and Decision-Support: Data Science Seminar series at the School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton
- S4AllCities: Smart Spaces Safety and Security for All Cities (European Commission (H2020) - Grant Number 883522, 01 Sep 2020). Awarded
- Big Medilytics - Improving healthcare in Europe through big data - Grant ID Number: 780495 (European Commission, 01 Jan 2018). Completed
- EO4Wildlife - Earth Observation Big data Analytics for detecting migratory trends of marine species due to climate change (H2020, 01 Jan 2016). Completed
- European Big Data Value Association (BDVA), Co-Chair of Ai and Data Science Task Group (2019-)
- University of Southampton - School of Electronics and Computer Science, External PhD supervisor (2018-)
- Colorado School of Mines, Golden, USA, Visiting Professor of Data Science (2017-)
- DGGS - OGC International, Chair of the DGGS SW and DW groups (2017-)
- Advanced Leadership Processes in Executive Management (Ashridge Business School (UK), 2011)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) in Computing and Informatics (UK Enginerring Research Council, 1996)
- Chartered Physicist (CPhys) in Physics (Institute of Physics, 1996)
- PhD in Theoretical Physics (University of Glasgow, 1990)
- MSc in Theoretical Physics (University of Glasgow, 1986)
- BSc First-Class Honours in Physics and Applied Mathematics (Universite d'Oran, 1984)
- Baccalaureat (With Distinction) in Techniques Mathematiques (Lycee Technique d'Oran, 1980)
- British Computer Society, Fellow (2019-),
- Institute of Marine Enginering, Science and Technology, Fellow (2017-),
- Institue of Physics, Member (1996-),