Dr Zoheir Sabeur
- zsabeur at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Professor Of Data Science
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Zoheir Sabeur is Associate Professor of Data Science at Bournemouth University (2019-present). He is Visiting Professor of Data Science at Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, USA (2017-present). He was Science Director at School of Electronics and Computer Science, IT Innovation Centre, University of Southampton (2009-2019). He led his big data research team in 27 large projects as Principal Investigator (PI). These were supported with research grants (totaling £7.0M) and awarded by the European Commission (under FP6, FP7 and H2020), Innovate UK, DSTL, NERC and Industries. Prior to Southampton, Zoheir worked as Director and Head of Research, Marine Information Systems at British Maritime Technology Group Limited (1996-2009), where he led his team in the development of advanced environmental nformation systems, in particular the PROTEUS system for the UK O&G Industries and UK Government. Prior to that, Zoheir held several academic appointments at Oxford Brookes University(1993-1995), University of Leeds(1991-1993), University of Strathlcyde(1990-1991), and University of Wuppertal (1987)... Zoheir holds a PhD and MSc in Physics from the University of Glasgow (1990). His main research expertise is on AI, knowledge extraction, human behaviour and natural processes machine detection and understanding. This was applied to COPD health patients exacerbation events forecast, impact of climate change on species behaviour, surveillance, human physical security and industrial operations. He has published over 120 papers in scientific journals, conference proceedings and books. He is peer reviewer, member of international scientific committees and editing board of various science and engineering conferences and journals. Zoheir chairs the OGC Digital Global Grid System Specification and Domain Working Groups, and co-chairs the AI and Data Science Task Group at the BDVA. He is Fellow of the British Computer Society; Member of the Institute of Physics; and Fellow of IMaREST.more
- Arbab-Zavar, B. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2020. Multi-scale crowd feature detection using vision sensing and statistical mechanics principles. Machine Vision and Applications, 31 (4).
- Purss, M.B.J., Peterson, P.R., Strobl, P., Dow, C., Sabeur, Z.A., Gibb, R.G. and Ben, J., 2019. DataCubes: A discrete global grid systems perspective. Cartographica, 53 (4), 63-71.
- Granell, C., Sabeur, Z. et al., 2016. Future Internet technologies for environmental applications. Environmental Modelling and Software, 78, 1-15.
- Zlatev, Z., Veres, G. and Sabeur, Z., 2013. Agile data fusion and knowledge base architecture for critical decision support. International Journal of Decision Support System Technology, 5 (2), 1-20.
- Middleto, S.E., Sabeur, Z.A., Löwe, P., Hammitzsch, M., Tavakoli, S. and Poslad, S., 2013. Multi-disciplinary approaches to intelligently sharing large-volumes of real-time sensor data during natural disasters. Data Science Journal, 12.
- Havlik, D., Schade, S., Sabeur, Z.A., Mazzetti, P., Watson, K., Berre, A.J. and Mon, J.L., 2011. From sensor to observation web with environmental enablers in the future internet. Sensors, 11 (4), 3874-3907.
- Sabeur, Z.A. and Tyler, A.O., 2004. Validation and application of the PROTEUS model for the physical dispersion, geochemistry and biological impacts of produced waters. Environmental Modelling and Software, 19 (7-8), 717-726.
- Tyler, A.O., Sabeur, Z.A. and Hockley, M.C., 2002. Modelling the behaviour and environmental impact of cuttings piles during decommissioning. Underwater Technology, 25 (2), 39-50.
- Sabeur, Z.A., Tyler, A.O. and Hockley, M.C., 2000. Development of particle based modelling concepts for the simulation of jet and plume-like discharges in the marine environment. Water Studies, 7, 337-345.
- Smith, J.P., Tyler, A.O. and Sabeur, Z.A., 1998. Ecotoxicological assessment of produced waters in indonesia. Environmental Toxicology and Water Quality, 13 (4), 323-336.
- Annoni, A., Bernard, L., Douglas, J., Greenwood, J., Laiz, I., Lloyd, M., Sabeur, Z., Sassen, A.-M., Serrano, J.-J. and Usländer, T., 2005. Orchestra: Developing a unified open architecture for risk management applications. Geo-information for Disaster Management. 1-17.
- Annoni, A., Bernard, L., Douglas, J., Greenwood, J., Laiz, I., Lloyd, M., Sabeur, Z., Sassen, A.-M., Serrano, J.-J. and Usländer, T., 2019. Orchestra: Developing a unified open architecture for risk management applications. In: Geo-information for Disaster Management 1-17.
- Sabeur, Z.A., Melas, P., Meacham, K., Corbally, R., D’Ayala, D. and Adey, B., 2017. An integrated decision-support information system on the impact of extreme natural hazards on critical infrastructure. 302-314.
- Sabeur, Z., Zlatev, Z., Melas, P., Veres, G., Arbab-Zavar, B., Middleton, L. and Museux, N., 2017. Large scale surveillance, detection and alerts information management system for critical infrastructure. 237-246.
- Sabeur, Z.A., Correndo, G., Veres, G., Arbab-Zavar, B., Lorenzo, J., Habib, T., Haugommard, A., Martin, F., Zigna, J.M. and Weller, G., 2017. EO big data connectors and analytics for understanding the effects of climate change on migratory trends of marine wildlife. 85-94.
- Mayon, R., Sabeur, Z., Tan, M. and Djidjeli, K., 2016. Analysis of fluid flow impact oscillatory pressures with air entrapment at structures. In: Proceedings of the Coastal Engineering Conference.
- Veres, G.V. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2015. Data analytics for drilling operational states classifications. 409-414.
- Correndo, G., Arbab-Zavar, B., Zlatev, Z. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2015. Context ontology modelling for improving situation awareness and crowd evacuation from confined spaces. 407-416.
- Melas, P., Correndo, G., Middleton, L. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2015. Advanced data analytics and visualisation for the management of human perception of safety and security in urban spaces. 445-454.
- Sabeur, Z., Doulamis, N., Middleton, L., Arbab-Zavar, B., Correndo, G. and Amditis, A., 2015. Multi-modal computer vision for the detection of multi-scale crowd physical motions and behavior in confined spaces. 162-173.
- Veres, G.V. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2013. Automated operational states detection for drilling systems control in critical conditions. 53-58.
- Bonatsos, A., Middleton, L., Melas, P. and Sabeur, Z., 2013. Crime Open Data Aggregation and Management for the Design of Safer Spaces in Urban Environments. 311-320.
- Löwe, P., Wächter, J., Hammitzsch, M., Lendholt, M., Häner, R., Mobgraber, J. and Sabeur, Z., 2013. The evolution of disaster Early Warning systems in the TRIDEC project. 48-52.
- Sabeur, Z., Arbab-Zavar, B., Wächter, J., Hammitzsch, M., Löwe, P., Lendholdt, M., Armigliato, A., Pagnoni, G., Tinti, S. and Omira, R., 2013. Modeling and detection of hydrodynamic trends for advancing early-tsunami warnings. 40-47.
- Modafferi, S., Chakravarthy, A. and Sabeur, Z., 2013. Multi-level data fusion of environmental data in future internet applications. 297-304.
- Usländer, T., Berre, A.J., Granell, C., Havlik, D., Lorenzo, J., Sabeur, Z. and Modafferi, S., 2013. The Future Internet Enablement of the Environment Information Space. 109-120.
- Middleton, S.E. and Sabeur, Z.A., 2011. Knowledge-based service architecture for multi-risk environmental decision support applications. 101-109.
- Mörzinger, R., Sabeur, Z., Arbab-Zavar, B. et al., 2010. Tools for semi-automatic monitoring of industrial workflows. 81-86.
- Sabeur, Z.A., Allsop, N.W.H., Beale, R.G. and Dennis, J.M., 1997. Wave dynamics at coastal structures: Development of a numerical model for free surface flow. In: Proceedings of the Coastal Engineering Conference 389-402.
- Rymell, M.C., Sabeur, Z.A., Williams, M.O., Borwell, D.M. and Tyler, A.O., 1997. Development and application of environmental models in the assessment of exploratory drilling in a sensitive coastal region, Isle of Man, UK. In: Society of Petroleum Engineers - SPE/UKOOA European Environment Conference 1997, EEC 1997 257-263.
- Rymell, M.C., Sabeur, Z.A., Williams, M.O., Borwell, D.M. and Tyler, A.O., 1997. Development and application of environmental models in the assessment of exploratory drilling in a sensitive coastal region, Isle of Man, UK. In: SPE/UKOOA European Environmental Conference, Proceedings 257-265.
- Andrew, 2021. Big data analytics for safer ships navigation in arctic harsh environment(s)
- Robert, 2017. Computational Free Surface Flows and Impact on Porous Structures
Profile of Teaching PG
- Data Science and Artificial Intelligence - MSc - Programme Leader
- Digital Health and Artificial Intelligence - MSc - Programme Leader
Profile of Teaching UG
- Cyber Situational Awareness - 65018_FST_COM_L6 - Unit Leader
- Tools and Technologies for Data Science - 68392_FST_COM_L5 - Unit Leader
European Big Data Value Forum Seminars, Siemens Conference Center Vienna, Austria, 14 Nov 2018 more
Scalable EO big data analytics & Cloud platforms: Advances in AI Technologies and Data Analytics in Big Earth Observation Data Assets
Institute of Engineering and Technology Lecture, IET, Isle of Wight, 25 Jan 2018 more
Transforming Transport with Big Data: UK Instittue of Engineering and Technology Lecture
ECS Data Science Seminar Series, University of Southampton, ECS, 13 Jul 2016 more
Generic Big Data Processing for Advancing Situation Awareness and Decision-Support: Data Science Seminar series at the School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton
- S4AllCities: Smart Spaces Safety and Security for All Cities (European Commission (H2020) - Grant Number 883522, 01 Sep 2020). Awarded
- European Big Data Value Association (BDVA), Co-Chair of Ai and Data Science Task Group (2019-)
- University of Southampton - School of Electronics and Computer Science, External PhD supervisor (2018-)
- Colorado School of Mines, Golden, USA, Visiting Professor of Data Science (2017-)
- DGGS - OGC International, Chair of the DGGS SW and DW groups (2017-)
- Advanced Leadership Processes in Executive Management (Ashridge Business School (UK), 2011)
- Chartered Physicist (CPhys) in Physics (Institute of Physics, 1996)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) in Computing and Informatics (UK Enginerring Research Council, 1996)
- PhD in Theoretical Physics (University of Glasgow, 1990)
- MSc in Theoretical Physics (University of Glasgow, 1986)
- BSc First-Class Honours in Physics and Applied Mathematics (Universite d'Oran, 1984)
- Baccalaureat (With Distinction) in Techniques Mathematiques (Lycee Technique d'Oran, 1980)
- British Computer Society, Fellow (2019-),
- Institute of Marine Enginering, Science and Technology, Fellow (2017-),
- Institue of Physics, Member (1996-),