Dr Deniz Cetinkaya
- 01202 961241
- dcetinkaya at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Computing
- Poole House P419, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Deniz Cetinkaya is a Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Computing in the Department of Computing & Informatics at Bournemouth University. She is the Programme Leader for BIT (Business Information Technology) and ITM (Information Technology Management) courses offered at BU. Prior to BU, she worked as an Assistant Professor in Software Engineering Department at Atılım University, Ankara, Turkey.
She graduated from Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey with honors in the top 2nd rank in 2002. She received her MSc degree in Computer Engineering from Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey in 2005. She received her PhD degree in Systems Engineering from Delft University of Technology (Technische Universiteit Delft) in the Netherlands in 2013.
Deniz is serving as a program committee member or a reviewer for several internationally renowned conferences and journals. She has published many papers in fully refereed international conferences and journals.
Areas of interest: Software engineering, Model driven software development, Software reusability, Software quality, Domain specific modelling, Modelling and simulation, Data analytics and visualization, Component based software engineering, Automated software development, Discrete event simulation, Modelling for Internet of Things, User Experience and Usability, Conceptual modeling, Responsible software engineering and ethics in digital games, Business process modelling, Software requirements modelling, Requirements engineering, and other related areas.
I am currently looking for PhD and MSc students. If you are interested, please contact me with your CV so that we can discuss the options available.
- Lilly, B., Cetinkaya, D. and Durak, U., 2021. Tracking light aircraft with smartphones at low altitudes. Information (Switzerland), 12 (3), 1-28.
- Anwary, A.R., Cetinkaya, D., Vassallo, M. and Bouchachia, H., 2021. Smart-Cover: A real time sitting posture monitoring system. Sensors and Actuators, A: Physical, 317.
- Alrubaee, A.U., Cetinkaya, D., Liebchen, G. and Dogan, H., 2020. A process model for component-based model-driven software development. Information (Switzerland), 11 (6).
- Alamro, S., Dogan, H., Cetinkaya, D., Jiang, N. and Phalp, K., 2018. Conceptualising and modelling E-recruitment process for enterprises through a problem oriented approach. Information (Switzerland), 9 (11).
- Varun, G., Shivam, L., Cetinkaya, D. and Hye-jin, K., 2017. Towards a Systematic Literature Review of Non-Functional Requirement Prioritization Approaches. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 11 (2).
- Gupta, V., Shivam, L., Cetinkaya, D. and Hye-jin, K., 2017. Non-functional Requirement Prioritization Approach. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 11 (1).
- Çetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2015. Model Continuity in Discrete Event Simulation: A Framework for Model-Driven Development of Simulation Models. ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, 25 (3).
- Cetinkaya, O. and Cetinkaya, D., 2007. Verification and validation issues in electronic voting. Electronic Journal of e-Government (EJEG), 5 (2), 117-126.
- Ozkan, B. and Cetinkaya, D., 2018. Quality Management (Translation - Kalite Yönetimi). Software Engineering (Yazılım Mühendisliği). Nobel Akademik Yayıncılık.
- Cetinkaya, D., Mittal, S., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2013. Model-driven engineering and its application in modeling and simulation. Netcentric System of Systems Engineering with DEVS Unified Process, (S.Mittal & J.L.Risco-Martin, authors). CRC Press, Taylor&Francis Group, 221-248.
- Cetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2013. BPMN to DEVS: Application of MDD4MS framework in discrete event simulation. Netcentric System of Systems Engineering with DEVS Unified Process, (S.Mittal & J.L.Risco-Martin, authors). CRC Press, Taylor&Francis Group, 609-636.
- Cetinkaya, D. and Hosseini, M., 2021. TranspLanMeta: A metamodel for TranspLan modeling language. MODELSWARD 2021 - Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Model-Driven Engineering and Software Development, 147-154.
- Potapova, K., Cetinkaya, D. and Liebchen, G., 2020. Monitoring and Controlling Phone Usage to Raise Awareness and Combat Digital Addiction. Proceedings of 2020 7th IEEE International Conference on Behavioural and Social Computing, BESC 2020.
- Aldoayan, M., Sahandi, R., John, D. and Cetinkaya, D., 2020. A Conceptual Framework for Cloud-based Collaborative Online Course Provision. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, 27-31.
- Albinson, P., Cetinkaya, D. and Orman, T., 2020. Using Technology to Enhance Assessment and Feedback: A Framework for Evaluating Tools and Applications. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, 241-246.
- Corbin, C., Cetinkaya, D. and Dogan, H., 2020. Design and Development of a Web Extension to Help Facilitate the Learning of a Foreign Language. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 12425 LNCS, 345-364.
- Cross, C., Cetinkaya, D. and Dogan, H., 2020. Transforming diagrams’ semantics to text for visually impaired. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 12200 LNCS, 339-350.
- Yucel, C., Chalkias, I., Mallis, D., Karagiannis, E., Cetinkaya, D. and Katos, V., 2020. On the assessment of completeness and timeliness of actionable cyber threat intelligence artefacts. Communications in Computer and Information Science, 1284 CCIS, 51-66.
- Aldoayan, M., Sahandi, R., John, D. and Cetinkaya, D., 2019. Collaborative cloud-based online courses: Issues and challenges. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, Part F148151, 17-21.
- Alamro, S., Dogan, H., Cetinkaya, D. and Jiang, N., 2018. Problem-oriented conceptual model and ontology for enterprise e-recruitment. ICEIS 2018 - Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, 2, 280-289.
- Imamoǧlu, M.Y. and Çetinkaya, D., 2017. A rule based decision support system for programming language selection. 2017 2nd International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Applications, ICKEA 2017, 2017-January, 71-75.
- D'Ambrogio, A., Durak, U. and Çetinkaya, D., 2017. MOD4SIM'17 chairs' message. Simulation Series, 49 (7).
- Semiz, H. and Cetinkaya, D., 2015. A monitoring and control system design for renewable energy systems (In Turkish: Yenilenebilir enerji kaynaklı sistemler için akıllı izleme ve kontrol sistemi tasarımı). In: Proceedings of the Informatics Association of Turkey 32. National Informatics Congress (TBD Ulusal Bilişim Kurultayı) 2015 Turkey.
- Çetinkaya, D. and Camci, I., 2014. Towards a metamodel for airport modeling and simulation. 26th European Modeling and Simulation Symposium, EMSS 2014, 438-443.
- Cetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2012. Model transformation from BPMN to DEVS in the MDD4MS framework. Simulation Series, 44 (4 BOOK), 304-309.
- Cetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2012. Model transformation from BPMN to DEVS in the MDD4MS framework. SpringSim (TMS-DEVS), 28 SCS/ACM.
- Cetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2012. Model Transformation from BPMN to DEVS in the MDD4MS Framework. THEORY OF MODELING AND SIMULATION: DEVS INTEGRATIVE M&S SYMPOSIUM 2012 (DEVS 2012), 44 (4), 304-309.
- Rust, I., Cetinkaya, D., Seck, M. and Wenzler, I., 2011. Business process simulation for management consultants: A DEVS based simplifed business process modelling library. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 800, 47-48.
- Rust, I., Cetinkaya, D., Seck, M. and Wenzler, I., 2011. Business process simulation for management consultants: A DEVS-based simplified business process modelling library. 23rd European Modeling and Simulation Symposium, EMSS 2011, 709-714.
- Cetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2011. MDD4MS: A model driven development framework for modeling and simulation. Proceedings of the 2011 Summer Computer Simulation Conference, 113-121.
- Cetinkaya, D. and Verbraeck, A., 2011. Metamodeling and model transformations in modeling and simulation. Proceedings - Winter Simulation Conference, 3043-3053.
- Cetinkaya, D. and Verbraeck, A., 2011. METAMODELING AND MODEL TRANSFORMATIONS IN MODELING AND SIMULATION. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2011 WINTER SIMULATION CONFERENCE (WSC), 3043-3053.
- Cetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2010. A metamodel and a DEVS implementation for component based hierarchical simulation modeling. Spring Simulation Multiconference 2010, SpringSim'10.
- Cetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seck, M.D., 2010. Applying a model driven approach to component based modeling and simulation. Proceedings - Winter Simulation Conference, 546-553.
- Cetinkaya, D., Verbraeck, A. and Seek, M., 2010. Towards a component based conceptual modeling language for discrete event simulation. ESM 2010 - 2010 European Simulation and Modelling Conference, 67-74.
- Cetinkaya, O. and Cetinkaya, D., 2007. Validation and verification issues in e-voting. Proceedings of the European Conference on e-Government, ECEG, 63-70.
- Cetinkaya, O. and Cetinkaya, D., 2007. Towards secure E-elections in Turkey: Requirements and principles. Proceedings - Second International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security, ARES 2007, 903-907.
- Cetinkaya, D. and Cetinkaya, O., 2006. Requirements and design principles for E-voting applications (In Turkish: E-seçim uygulamaları için gereksinimler ve tasarım ilkeleri). In: Proceedings of the XI. Internet in Turkey Conference (inet-tr ‘06) 2006 Turkey.
- Çetinkaya, D. and Oǧuztüzün, H., 2006. A metamodel for the HLA object model. 20th European Conference on Modelling and Simulation: Modelling Methodologies and Simulation Key Technologies in Academia and Industry, ECMS 2006, 207-213.
- Cetinkaya, D., 2013. Model Driven Development of Simulation Models - Defining and Transforming Conceptual Models into Simulation Models by Using Metamodels and Model Transformations. PhD Thesis. Delft University of Technology (TUDelft), Systems Engineering.
- Cetinkaya, D., 2005. A Metamodel for the High Level Architecture Object Model. Master's Thesis. Middle East Technical University, Computer Engineering.
- Cetinkaya, D.. Search device for printed materials (in Turkish: Basılı dokümanlar için arama cihazı). Patent number 2016/07852 Turkish Patent Institute, funded by Atılım University.
- Proceedings of the Symposium on Model-driven Approaches for Simulation Engineering, Mod4Sim 2017, Virginia Beach, VA, USA, April 23 - 26, 2017. ACM.
- Proceedings of the Modeling and Simulation of Complexity in Intelligent, Adaptive and Autonomous Systems 2016 (MSCIAAS 2016) and Space Simulation for Planetary Space Exploration (SPACE 2016), part of the 2016 Spring Simulation Multiconference, SpringSim '16, Pasadena, CA, USA, April 3-6, 2016. ACM.
- Proceedings of the International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, Chicago, IL, USA, July 26-29, 2015. IEEE / ACM.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Software Engineering (2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17)
- Systems Engineering (2013/14)
- Model Driven Software Development (2015/16)
- Systems Design (CPD unit for BBC, 2017/18)
- SAS Programming (2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20)
- Foundations of Health Information Systems (2020/21)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Computer Programming - I (2014/15)
- Computer Programming - II (2013/14, 2014/15)
- Fundamentals of Software Engineering (2015/16)
- Introduction to Software Engineering (2015/16)
- Object Oriented Programming (2015/16, 2016/17)
- Web Programming (2017-present)
- UG Programmes Final Year Projects Coordinator (2018 - present)
- Minimising Gambling Related Harm through Cognitive Tasks and Interactive Dialogue (Match-funded, 20 Sep 2021). In Progress
- Extending Access for Digital Literacy Education: Prototyping Mobile Interactive Storytelling Platform (Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF), 04 Jun 2021). In Progress
- Collaborative crowdsourcing platform for connecting solution providers to challenge owners (Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF), 12 Apr 2021). In Progress
- S4AllCities: Smart Spaces Safety and Security for All Cities (European Commission (H2020), 11 Feb 2021). Awarded
- SPEED: Smart Ports Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Development (European Interreg 2 Seas, 16 Dec 2019). Awarded
- ECHO: European network of Cybersecurity centres and competence Hub for innovation and Operations (European Commission (H2020), 04 Sep 2019). Awarded
- Erasmus+ Travel grant to visit TU Clausthal (European Union, 09 Apr 2019). Completed
- Horizon2020-Travel grant for "Provenance-aware Software Engineering" project consortium (TUBITAK-Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, 09 Feb 2016). Completed
- 2224A-Travel grant for Conference Attendance (TUBITAK-Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, 10 Sep 2014). Completed
- Staffordshire University, External Examiner in Computer Science (2021 - ) (2021-2025)
- Bournemouth and Poole College, Link Tutor for FdSc Computing (2017-2021)
- Final Year Projects Coordinator for all Undergraduate Programmes (Sep 2018 - Aug 2021), Department of Computing and Informatics
- Programme Leader of BSc (Hons) Information Technology Management (Sep 2020 - present), Department of Computing and Informatics
- Programme Leader of BSc (Hons) Business Information Technology (Sep 2020 - present), Department of Computing and Informatics
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Short story at International Women in Engineering Day 2019 event at BU. Supported by The Women's Engineering Society. https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2019-06-21/international-women-engineering-day-2019
- PGCert in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, UK, 2018)
- PhD in Systems Engineering (Delft University of Technology (TUDelft), Delft, The Netherlands, 2013)
- MSc in Computer Engineering (Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 2005)
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science and Engineering (Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 2002)
- INSTICC (Institute for Systems and Technologies of Information, Control and Communication), Member (2021-),
- ACM (Association for Computing Machinery), Member (2018-),
- HEA (Higher Education Academy), Fellow (2018-),
- BCS (The Chartered Institute for IT), Member (2017-),