- 01202 965731
- abatley at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Demonstrator in Prototyping
- Poole House PG146, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Abi Batley is an experienced product designer and prototyping demonstrator with extensive expertise in additive manufacturing, Key Shot rendering, and prototyping. She currently works in the Design & Engineering Department at Bournemouth University, where she plays a crucial role as a Prototyping Demonstrator.
Abi's passion for product design and innovation has taken her on a remarkable journey throughout her career. She has held several notable positions in industry, including working with renowned organizations such as The RNLI, Drilling Systems, and STYLIDEAS (formally AvenTOM).
In her various roles, Abi has developed a diverse skillset, working on projects ranging from medical devices to industrial products, including designing and developing bespoke prosthetic devices. Her exceptional skills in additive manufacturing, Key Shot rendering, and prototyping have been instrumental in the success of these projects.
Abi's current research is focused on advancing the field of paediatric prosthetics through the application of composite additive manufacturing... Her goal is to develop dynamic response ankle-foot devices that allow children to engage in sports and physical activities.
In addition to her professional work, Abi is also an accomplished speaker and has presented her research at numerous conferences and events. She is committed to sharing her expertise and inspiring future generations of designers and engineers.more
Composite additive manufacturing of dynamic response paediatric prosthetic ankle-foot devices.
Material analysis of additively manufactured composite materials.
- Batley, A., Glithro, R., Dyer, B. and Sewell, P., 2023. Evaluation of Tensile strength and repeatability of 3D printed carbon fibre materials and processes. 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing.
- Batley, A., Sewell, P. and Dyer, B., 2023. Facilitators and barriers for participation in sports and physical activity for children with lower-limb absence: A systematic review. Prosthetics and orthotics international, 47 (4), 368-378.
- Dyer, B., Glithro, R. and Batley, A., 2022. The design of an upper arm prosthesis utilising 3D printing conceived for the 2020 Tokyo paralympic games: A technical note. J Rehabil Assist Technol Eng, 9, 20556683221113309.
Profile of Teaching UG
- BA/BSc Product Design: Design Projects 1, Product Design Projects 2A, Product Design Projects 2B, Product Design Projects 3, Product Design Prototypes, Product Design Tools, Team Project.
- BA Product Design Futures: Product Design Tools.
- BSc Design Engineering: Design Engineering Projects 1, Design Engineering Project 3.
- GB Paracyclist Arm Prostheses Concept. (Privately Funded, 05 Mar 2022). Completed
- Development of a prototype system for the photogrammetric capture and digital fabrication of bespoke prosthetic limb sockets for amputees. (QR, 16 Feb 2022). In Progress
- Material analysis testing of additively manufactured composite materials (QR, 19 Jan 2022). In Progress
- An advanced manufacturing supported supply chain – Enhancing the efficiency of the RNLI (Higher Education Innovation Fund (HEIF), 01 Sep 2017). Completed
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- James Dyson Foundation (01 Sep 2016-01 Sep 2017)
- The Additive Manufacturing Virtual Conference, Mast Latch Handle Case Study, 06 Oct 2020, London - Online
- BSc (Hons) in Product Design (Bournemouth University, 2017)
- James Dyson Foundation Award (2016)
- You're Brilliant Award (SUBU)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2022-),
- Institution of Engineering Designers, Member (2022-),