Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a Lecturer in Media and Advertising based in the Media School. I previously taught in the Department of Media, Film and Music at the University of Sussex. I have published on popular and political cultures. I worked for the Advertising Standards Authority in London between 2007 and 2010, assessing the evidence sent in by advertisers in support of their advertising claims. As part of my role I dealt with marketing managers, agencies, Government departments and corporate lawyers. specialising in environmental claims ("green" marketing).
My research interests include environmental communication, particularly social and corporate "green" advertising, marketing and PR. I run a specialist final year option on this topic in the Corporate and Marketing Communications division of the Media School.
I also research and teach in the areas of media, popular culture, and advertising. I am interested in representation and audience studies.
Jenny Alexander lectures at Bournemouth University in media and popular culture, and communication and the environment. She previously worked for the Advertising Standards Authority as their environment specialist and also lectured in media and gender studies at Sussex. She wrote her PhD on 19th century anarchism and has published on gender and sexuality, fan cultures and environmental communication.
- Alexander, J., 2013. The case of the green vampire: eco‐celebrity, Twitter and youth engagement. Celebrity Studies, 4 (3), 353.
- Thorsen, E., Jackson, D., Savigny, H. and Alexander, J., 2015. Media, Margins and Civic Agency. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Thorsen, E., Savigny, H., Alexander, J. and Jackson, D., 2015. Media, Margins and Popular Culture. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Jackson, D., Alexander, J., Thorsen, E. and Savigny, H., 2015. Introduction. 1-12.
- Alexander, J., Savigny, H., Thorsen, E. and Jackson, D., 2015. Introduction: Marginalised Voices, Representations and Practices. 1-12.
- Alexander, J., 2014. “‘Superhumanity’ and the Embodiment of Enlightenment: The Semiotics of Disability in the Official Art and Advertising of the 2012 British Paralympics.”. In: Jackson, D., Hodges, C., Molesworth, M. and Scullion, R., eds. Reframing Disability? Media (Dis)Empowerment and Voice in the 2012 British Paralympics. Routledge.
- Alexander, J., 2011. "Alexander Berkman: sexual dissidence in the first wave anarchist movement and its subsequent narratives". In: Cleminson, R. and Heckert, J., eds. Anarchism and Sexuality: Ethics, Relationships and Power. London: Routledge, 25-44.
- Alexander, J., 2008. "Tortured Heroes: The Story of Ouch! Fan Fiction and Sadomasochism". In: Burr, V. and Hearne, J., eds. Sex, Violence and the Body: The Erotics of Wounding. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 119-136.
- Hodges, C., Jackson, D., Scullion, R. and Molesworth, M., 2013. From the distant sidelines: stories of experiencing the 2012 Paralympics from disabled people. In: PSA Media and Politic Group Annual Conference 13-14 November 2013 Bournemouth University.
- Amber Burton (supervising with Dr. Sue Eccles). “An examination of the performance of digital professional identity, amongst women aged 35+ working in the advertising industry”
- Georgina Newton (supervising with Dr. Heather Sauvigny). Role Models, Representation , Young Women and Work
- David Alder (supervising with Prof. Iain MacRury). Advertising, History and Class Persuasion
- Ming Zhang. Slash Fan Fiction in China
Profile of Teaching PG
- Presently second supervisor on four PhDs
Profile of Teaching UG
- Environmental Communication (2011-14 ongoing) (Level 6), Persuasion and Influence (2015-16 ongoing) (Level 6), Academic and Professional Research (2010-2014) (Level 4), Contemporary Media and Popular Culture (2010-2015) (Level 1)
- ECO-CODING: Creating a centre for DNA Meta-barcoding Ecology at BU (HEIF (Higher Education Innovation Fund), 31 Jul 2016). Awarded
- University of East London, Exterma; Examiner on the Advertising Degree (2013-2017)
- Political Studies Association Conference, "Queer Baiting or Queer Romance - On the Road with Supernatural and its Subtext", 14 Nov 2013, Bournemouth University
- International Environmental Communication Association, "Greenwash Gold? Assessing the Environment Themed Advertising of the 2012 Olympics' Sponsors", 06 Jun 2013, Uppsala, Sweden
- ECREA Istanbul, Ken Dumps Barbie: The Politics of Greenpeace vs Mattel", 24 Oct 2012, Istanbul
- Transformations in Broadcasting, “My #Immortal @Undead Lover: Passionate and Promotional Narratives in The Vampire Diaries Twittersphere", 12 Jul 2012, University of Leeds
- Mediating Environmental Change MeCCSA Environmenta Section Conference, “Advertising Environmental Change?", 04 Mar 2011, Bournemouth University
- ECREA Hamburg, Green Marketing:The Citizen Reader and the Limits of Acceptable Speech", 12 Oct 2010, Hamburg
- PhD in Political autobiography (University of Sussex, 2004)
- Certificate in Post-Doctoral Supervision in PhD Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- PGCertHE in Teaching Qualification (Higher Ed) (University of Sussex, 2006)
- MA (with Distinction) in Critical Theory (University of Sussex, 1995)
- BA (Hons) in English Literature (University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1993)