Dr Jenny Alexander
- 01202 962243
- alexanderj at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Media and Advertising
- Weymouth House W420, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a Senior Lecturer in Politics, Media and Communication in the School of Humanities and Law. My primary research, teaching and publishing interests are in environmental politics and environmental communication, and in gender, sexuality and politics/ gender, sexuality and communication.
My PhD (University of Sussex) was on nineteenth century anarchist autobiographies. I have published on gender, sexuality, disability and representation (including on fan-fiction, anarchism and sexuality, and the semiotics of the 2012 Paralympics) and on environmental politics and communication (including on "eco-celebrity" and eco-fascism). My most recent journal article, "Green White Nationalism: Eco-Fascism and the Alt-Right in the Era of Climate Breakdown" is forthcoming (2020). I am also currently writing a book for Routledge on Environmental Advertising: New Forms of Transnational Persuasion, about the global politics of promotional communication on the subject of the environment. Another book is at the planning stage; on the ethics of contemporary homoerotic subtext, titled Queercoding or Queerbaiting: The Homoerotic Subtext of Supernatural (A Study in Reading Subtext on Screen)...
I previously taught at both Sussex and Middlesex universities, and also worked for the Advertising Standards Authority, as their environmental claims specialist, between 2007-2010. Presently, I am supervising PhDs on: 1) Twenty-First Century Working-Class Girls'' Imagined Futures: A Child-Centred Socialist Feminist Research Project 2) Against The Grain: The Semiotic Repertoire Of ‘Madam Genever’ From William Of Orange To The Twenty-First Century ‘Ginaissance’ – A Social And Class History Of Gin In Britain 3) Negotiating Gender and Sexuality in Chinese Harry Potter Fan-Fiction 4) Digital Personal/ Professional Identities: A Phenomenological Study of "Digital Immigrant" Female Communication Professionals on Linked-In and Facebook. I welcome PhD applications on any of my above profile interests.more
Jenny's research interests are in environmental politics/ environmental communication and gender, sexuality, politics and communication. She has published on fan cultures, "eco-celebrity", anarchism and sexuality, and eco-fascism, and welcomes PhD enquiries on any aspect of gender/sexuality and media, and environmental politics and communication.
- Crossley, L., Barnett, N. and Burton, A., 2018. Introduction. Journal of British Cinema and Television.
- Alexander, J., 2013. The case of the green vampire: eco‐celebrity, Twitter and youth engagement. Celebrity Studies, 4 (3), 353.
- Thorsen, E., Jackson, D., Savigny, H. and Alexander, J., 2015. Media, Margins and Civic Agency. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Thorsen, E., Savigny, H., Alexander, J. and Jackson, D., 2015. Media, Margins and Popular Culture. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Bradley, P., 2016. Introduction. 1-5.
- Alexander, J., Savigny, H., Thorsen, E. and Jackson, D., 2015. Introduction: Marginalised Voices, Representations and Practices. 1-12.
- Jackson, D., Alexander, J., Thorsen, E. and Savigny, H., 2015. Introduction. 1-12.
- Alexander, J., 2014. “‘Superhumanity’ and the Embodiment of Enlightenment: The Semiotics of Disability in the Official Art and Advertising of the 2012 British Paralympics.”. In: Jackson, D., Hodges, C., Molesworth, M. and Scullion, R., eds. Reframing Disability? Media (Dis)Empowerment and Voice in the 2012 British Paralympics. Routledge.
- Alexander, J., 2011. "Alexander Berkman: sexual dissidence in the first wave anarchist movement and its subsequent narratives". In: Cleminson, R. and Heckert, J., eds. Anarchism and Sexuality: Ethics, Relationships and Power. London: Routledge, 25-44.
- Alexander, J., 2008. "Tortured Heroes: The Story of Ouch! Fan Fiction and Sadomasochism". In: Burr, V. and Hearne, J., eds. Sex, Violence and the Body: The Erotics of Wounding. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 119-136.
- Alexander, J., 2014. 'Superhumanity' and the embodiment of enlightenment the semiotics of disability in the official art and advertising of the 2012 British Paralympics. 105-120.
- Amber Burton (supervising with Dr. Sue Eccles). “An examination of the performance of digital professional identity, amongst women aged 35+ working in the advertising industry”
- Georgina Newton (supervising with Dr. Heather Sauvigny). Role Models, Representation , Young Women and Work
- David Alder (supervising with Prof. Iain MacRury). Advertising, History and Class Persuasion
- Ming Zhang. Slash Fan Fiction in China
Profile of Teaching PG
- Presently second supervisor on four PhDs
Profile of Teaching UG
- Environmental Communication (2011-19 ongoing) (Level 6), Persuasion and Influence (2015-2020 ongoing) (Level 6), Principles and Practice of Research (2010-2020 ongoing) (Level 5), Public Opinion and Persuasion (2019-20) (Level 4)
- ECO-CODING: Creating a centre for DNA Meta-barcoding Ecology at BU (HEIF (Higher Education Innovation Fund), 31 Jul 2016). Awarded
- University of East London, Exterma; Examiner on the Advertising Degree (2013-2017)
- Political Studies Association Conference, "Queer Baiting or Queer Romance - On the Road with Supernatural and its Subtext", 14 Nov 2013, Bournemouth University
- International Environmental Communication Association, "Greenwash Gold? Assessing the Environment Themed Advertising of the 2012 Olympics' Sponsors", 06 Jun 2013, Uppsala, Sweden
- ECREA Istanbul, Ken Dumps Barbie: The Politics of Greenpeace vs Mattel", 24 Oct 2012, Istanbul
- Transformations in Broadcasting, “My #Immortal @Undead Lover: Passionate and Promotional Narratives in The Vampire Diaries Twittersphere", 12 Jul 2012, University of Leeds
- Mediating Environmental Change MeCCSA Environmenta Section Conference, “Advertising Environmental Change?", 04 Mar 2011, Bournemouth University
- ECREA Hamburg, Green Marketing:The Citizen Reader and the Limits of Acceptable Speech", 12 Oct 2010, Hamburg
- Certificate in Post-Doctoral Supervision in PhD Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- PGCertHE in Teaching Qualification (Higher Ed) (University of Sussex, 2006)
- PhD in Political autobiography (University of Sussex, 2004)
- MA (with Distinction) in Critical Theory (University of Sussex, 1995)
- BA (Hons) in English Literature (first class) (University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1993)