Dr Duncan Randall
- drandall at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Children and Young Peoples Nursing
- Bournemouth House B233, 19 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH1 3LH
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Since entering academia in 2000 I have fused teaching, practice involvement and research. I have worked part time clinically in acute and children's palliative care.
I have undertaken a number of academic administration roles most notably lead for children’s nursing, Health Research MRes programme lead and admissions tutor.I have coordinated the child nursing field of practice at the University of Birmingham (2008-2013) and Southampton (2015-19). In these roles I have led teams and written and re written children's nursing curricula each time securing Nursing and Midwifery Council approval. In 2018-19 I co edited the Textbook of Children's Nursing 3rd edition (Glasper and Richardson and Randall in press, Elsevier)
I have experience as a principle investigator and co applicant on a number of studies As a part of the Involve to Evolve project funded by the Department of Health. I designed and delivered an E-learning programme in collaboration with technical colleagues. This involved designing the programme, filming scenarios, recording audio feedback, writing a pre/post quiz and building a reporting structure... I have supervised a number of doctoral students this has included qualitative studies with children in the main relating to children’s palliative and end of life care. I have supervised students to PhD completion including a study using mixed methods such as Q methodology to investigate children’s views on play when living with a life limiting/threatening condition. I am involved in the RCN community for children's palatial care and the International Network for Child and Family Centred Care. This later network consists of researchers from over 50 countries.
My teaching includes theories of children's nursing, sociology of childhoods lived with illness, long term conditions and palliative and end of life care in childhoods.In 2016 I published the first nursing theory for children and their childhoods pragmatic children’s nursing.more
- Jasem, Z.A., Darlington, A.S., Lambrick, D., Grisbrooke, J. and Randall, D.C., 2020. Play in Children With Life-Threatening and Life-Limiting Conditions: A Scoping Review. The American journal of occupational therapy : official publication of the American Occupational Therapy Association, 74 (1).
- Jasem, Z.A.M.H.M., Darlington, A.S., Grisbrooke, J., Lambrick, D. and Randall, D., 2020. Play in ChildrenWith Life-Threatening and Life-Limiting Conditions: A Scoping Review. American Journal of Occupational Therapy (Ovid), 74, (1).
- Randall, D.C., 2019. Partnerships and the Paradoxes of Parenting Children Living with Illness. Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Nursing, 42 (4), 246-249.
- Darlington, A.S., Long-Sutehall, T., Randall, D., Wakefield, C., Robinson, V. and Brierley, J., 2019. Parents' experiences of requests for organ and tissue donation: The value of asking. Archives of Disease in Childhood.
- Randall, D., 2018. Pragmatics and Parenting. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 43, e35-e38.
- Resnik, D.B. and Randall, D.C., 2018. Reporting suspected abuse or neglect in research involving children. Journal of Medical Ethics, 44 (8), 555-559.
- Randall, D., Garbutt, D. and Barnard, M., 2018. Using simulation as a learning experience in clinical teams to learn about palliative and end-of-life care: A literature review. Death Studies, 42 (3), 172-183.
- Randall, D.C., 2017. Two Futures: Financial and Practical Realities for Parents of Living With a Life Limited Child. Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Nursing, 40 (4), 257-267.
- Randall, D., Rosenberg, J.P. and Reimer, S., 2017. Solid and liquid modernity: A comparison of the social geography of places to die in the UK and Australia. Death Studies, 41 (2), 103-111.
- Randall, D., 2016. Taking a new path. Nursing children and young people, 28 (8), 17.
- Randall, D., 2016. Implementing preparatory strategies can help children participate in care. Evidence-based nursing, 19 (4), 119.
- Randall, D., Anderson, A. and Taylor, J., 2016. Protecting children in research: Safer ways to research with children who may be experiencing violence or abuse. Journal of Child Health Care, 20 (3), 344-353.
- Coad, J., Gibson, F., Horstman, M., Milnes, L., Randall, D. and Carter, B., 2015. Be my guest! Challenges and practical solutions of undertaking interviews with children in the home setting. Journal of Child Health Care, 19 (4), 432-443.
- Davies, A. and Randall, D., 2015. Erratum: Perceptions of Children's Participation in Their Healthcare: A Critical Review (Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing Volume 38, Issue 3 (2015), pages 202-221) doi: 10.3109/01460862.2015.1063740. Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Nursing, 38 (4), 302.
- Randall, D., Childers-Buschle, K., Anderson, A. and Taylor, J., 2015. An analysis of child protection 'standard operating procedures for research' in higher education institutions in the United Kingdom. BMC Medical Ethics, 16 (1).
- Davies, A. and Randall, D., 2015. Perceptions of Children's Participation in Their Healthcare: A Critical Review. Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Nursing, 38 (3), 202-221.
- Shaw, K.L., Brook, L., Mpundu-Kaambwa, C., Harris, N., Lapwood, S. and Randall, D., 2015. The spectrum of children's palliative care needs: A classification framework for children with life-limiting or life-threatening conditions. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care, 5 (3), 249-258.
- Randall, D. and Mckeown, M., 2014. Editorial: Failure to care: Nursing in a state of liquid modernity? Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23 (5-6), 766-767.
- Perkins, K., Randall, D., Toozs-Hobson, P., Sitch, A. and Ismail, K.M.K., 2014. Hardiness and Outcome of Self-catheterisation Training (HOST): Protocol for an observational study exploring the effects of personality traits in women on ability to learn clean intermittent self-catheterisation. BMJ Open, 4 (1).
- Standage, R. and Randall, D., 2014. The benefits for children's nurses of overseas placements: Where is the evidence? Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Nursing, 37 (2), 87-102.
- Randall, D., Munns, A. and Shields, L., 2013. Next steps: Towards child-focused nursing. Neonatal, Paediatric and Child Health Nursing, 16 (2), 15-20.
- Randall, D., 2012. The guiding of research funding: Corrosive competition or stability, sustainability and serendipity. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68 (12), 2595-2596.
- Randall, D. and Hallowell, L., 2012. 'Making the bad things seem better': Coping in children receiving healthcare. Journal of Child Health Care, 16 (3), 305-313.
- Randall, D., 2012. Children's regard for nurses and nursing: A mosaic of children's views on community nursing. Journal of Child Health Care, 16 (1), 91-104.
- Williams, R., Hewison, A., Wagstaff, C. and Randall, D., 2012. Walk with your head high: African and African-Caribbean fatherhood, children's mental well-being and social capital. Ethnicity and Health, 17 (1-2), 89-103.
- Gardner, H. and Randall, D., 2012. The effects of the presence or absence of parents on interviews with children. Nurse Researcher, 19 (2), 6-10.
- Randall, D., 2012. Revisiting mandell's 'least adult' role and engaging with children's voices in research. Nurse Researcher, 19 (3), 39-43.
- Randall, D. and Hill, A., 2012. Consulting children and young people on what makes a good nurse. Nursing children and young people, 24 (3), 14-19.
- Randall, D., 2011. Nurse education must be valued. Nursing children and young people, 23 (9), 10.
- Randall, D. and McTaggart, I., 2009. Children's nursing education: Members club or street party? Journal of Child Health Care, 13 (2), 90-92.
- Randall, D., 2008. The fight for children's nursing and children's nurses: Has the ABPN lost its marbles? Journal of Child Health Care, 12 (2), 90-91.
- Randall, D., Brook, G. and Stammers, P., 2008. How to make good children's nurses: children's view. Paediatric nursing, 20 (5), 22-25.
- Randall, D.C., 2015. Pragmatic Children’s Nursing A Theory for Children and their Childhoods. Routledge.
- Randall, D., 2005. Development of the immune system and immunity. Developmental Anatomy and Physiology of Children A Practical Approach. Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Randall, D., 2005. Development of the respiratory system and respiration. Developmental Anatomy and Physiology of Children A Practical Approach. Elsevier Health Sciences.
Cultures of communication in children’s pragmatic, Tehran, Iran, 10 Nov 2016 more
1st International Clinical Oncology Nursing Congress
Symptom management: Living a childhood at the end, Tehran, Iran, 10 Nov 2016 more
1st International Clinical Oncology Nursing Congress
Symptom- focused palliative care for children, Adıyaman University, Turkey, 01 May 2013 more
4th National Pediatric Nursing Conference