Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Holly Henderson is a Senior Lecturer in Education Excellence in the Centre for Fusion Learning Innovation & Excellence and lectures for the Faculty of Media and Communications, Bournemouth University Business School and the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences. She is an EdD Supervisor. Holly (re)joined BU in 2021 as Research, Knowledge Exchange Development Framework Advisor after a decade away. Prior to this, she was Senior Lecturer and Education Incubator Fellow at the University of Exeter. Holly is a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2020), National Teaching Fellow (2023), a Churchill Fellow, and a MHFA England Mental Health First Aider.
Having struggled herself during her formal education with dyslexia, Holly is passionate about education innovation that enhances the learning experience, engagement, quality, and outcomes. She is a Certified Advanced and Online Facilitator in LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® and delivers sessions across the University.
Holly has over fifteen years of experience successfully delivering National and International projects from concept to completion, on time, within budget and scope... She is Prince2® and ScrumMaster® qualified. She was the LOCOG Operations Manager for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Weymouth & Portland and has been a Project Manager for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, Maritime and Coastguard Agency and Royal National Lifeboat Institution. This variety of unusual professional experience helps Holly support the development of employability skills and widening participation.
Holly is an avid sportswoman and alongside her job, she has represented England and Great Britain at the International Surf Association SUP and Paddleboard World Championships.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
Partnership for the Goals
"Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development"
- Henderson, H. and Shipway, R., 2023. Liminality, Leisure, and Lego®: Using a leisure-based creative methodology to support children and young people. Leisure Sciences: an interdisciplinary journal.
- Shipway, R. and Henderson, H., 2023. Everything is awesome! Lego® Serious Play® (LSP) and the interaction between leisure, education, mental health and wellbeing. Leisure Studies.
- Henderson, H. and Kight, C., 2021. Reviewer Report For: The educator’s LSP journey: creating exploratory learning environments for responsible management education using Lego Serious Play [version 1; peer review: 2 approved with reservations]. 2021, 3:2. Emerald Open Res, 3 (2).
- Henderson, H. and Santini, D., 2021. The winners and losers in the race to environmental sustainability: a ranking of Summer Olympic International Federation progress. Emerald Open Res.
- Chien, P.M., Ritchie, B.W., Shipway, R. and Henderson, H., 2012. I am Having a Dilemma: Factors Affecting Resident Support of Event Development in the Community. Journal of Travel Research, 51 (4), 451-463.
- Henderson, H. and Skip Lissiman OAM, C.M., 2010. The men from down under: The legacies of Australia II. International Journal of Event and Festival Management, 1 (3), 186-201.
- Polkinghorne, M. et al., 2023. Fusion Learning Conference 2023 - Proceedings. Poole, Dorset, UK, BH12 5BB: Bournemouth University.
- Henderson, H., 2020. Case Study in Blair. S., 2020. How to Facilitate the Lego® Serious Play Method Online London: ProMeet. Blair. S., 2020. How to Facilitate the Lego® Serious Play Method Online London: ProMeet.. Promeet.
- Henderson, H., 2020. Case Study in Blair. S., 2020. Mastering the Lego Serious Play Method - 44 Facilitation Techniques for Trained LEGO Serious Play Facilitators London: ProMeet. Blair. S., 2020. Mastering the Lego Serious Play Method - 44 Facilitation Techniques for Trained LEGO Serious Play Facilitators London: ProMeet.. Promeet.
- Henderson, H., 2013. Sailing events and the participant experience. International Sports Events: Impacts, Experiences and Identities. 113-126.
- Henderson, H.E., 2009. Happy Sails or Flappy Sails: Sports Tourism at an International Sailing Federation World Cup.
- Henderson, H. and Shipway, R., 2023. Speaking Bricks: Lego, Leisure, Liminality and Well-being. In: Fusion Learning Conference 5 July 2023 Bournemouth.
- Shipway, R. and Henderson, H., 2022. Everything is Awesome! Leisure, Lego® Serious Play®, Mental Health and Wellbeing. LSA Falmouth 2022, Falmouth University, Penryn. In: Leisure Studies Association 12-14 July 2022 Penryn.
- Henderson, H.E., 2010. Happy sails or flappy sails: sports tourism at an International Sailing Federation world cup event. Hobart, Tasmania: University of Tasmania.
- Henderson, H.E., Guothro, M.B. and Jones, I., 2010. Spectator Engagement at Major Sailing Events. In: International Conference on Sport and Society 8-10 March 2010 University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- Janta, H., Jones, I.M., Thomas, S. and Henderson, H.E., 2010. Creative and Ambitious - First year Events Management Students and their Employability Skills. In: Global Events Congress IV: Events and Festivals Research: State of the Art 14-16 July 2010 Leeds, England.
- Henderson, H.E., 2009. Peer and Self – Assessment using Computer Assisted Self & Peer Assessment Ratings (CASPAR). In: AEME - Huddersfield Conference 19 July 2009 Huddersfield.
- Shipway, R., Henderson, H. and Inns, H., 2022. Exploring the use of Lego to support junior school mental health and wellbeing initiatives. Poole, Dorset: Coastal Learning Partnership.
- Shipway, R. and Henderson, H.E., 2010. Leveraging Olympic Studies in HE: Go Forth and Olympify. Available from: http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/resources/detail/subjects/hlst/link26_olympics.
- Henderson, H.E. and Stuchberry, L., 2010. Dorset Seafood Festival Research, 2010. CESR & MRG Bournemouth University.
- Shipway, R., Henderson, H.E. and Stuchberry, L., 2010. Weymouth & Portland 2012 Resident Opinions Research, 2010. Bournemouth University: Centre for Events and Sports Research.
- Henderson, H.E. and Stuchberry, L., 2009. Skandia Sail for Gold Event Survey 2009 - Project Report for the Royal Yachting Association.. Centre for Events and Sports Research & Market Research Group.
- Henderson, H., 2022. Research Leadership Induction via Hybrid Lego® Serious Play® Facilitation in Nerantzi, C., & James. A., (2022). LEGO® for university learning: Online, offline and elsewhere (Version 1).
- Kight, C. and Henderson, H., 2022. Building and institutional Lego® culture using a community of practice approach in Nerantzi, C., & James. A., (2022). LEGO® for university learning: Online, offline and elsewhere (Version 1) [Computer software]. Zenodo..
- Henderson, H. and Kight, C., 2021. Serious play: building knowledge with LEGO bricks The Times Higher Education, The Campus, 01 October 2021. The Times Higher Education, The Campus. Available from: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/serious-play-building-knowledge-lego-bricks.
- Kight, C. and Henderson, H., 2021. Serious Play: how LEGO® can help build learning communities and knowledge. Enhance: Stories of Excellence in Education. Available from: https://excellence-in-education.co.uk/serious-play-how-lego-can-help-build-learning-communities-and-knowledge/.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Research Methods for Health and Social Sciences Level 7
- Business Model Innovation Level 7
- Developing and Reflecting on Higher Education Practice Level 7
- Global Innovation Management Level 7
Profile of Teaching UG
- Foundation Level: Media & Current Debates
- University of Manchester, External Assessor for the LEAP Programme (2023-), https://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/umitl/teaching-development/leadership-in-education-awards-programme/
- Advance HE, Aurora Mentor (2020-), https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/programmes-events/aurora
- National Teaching Fellow (Advance HE, 2023)
- Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Advance HE, 2020)