Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
PhD student at Bournemouth University in the Faculty of Science and Technology.
My PhD is investigating the effect of group processes & social identities within online hacking communities, an interdisciplinary project combining social psychology and cybersecurity. The primary areas of investigation are group processes, group social identity and trust online.
- McAlaney, J., Thackray, H. and Taylor, J., 2016. The social psychology of cybersecurity. The Psychologist, 29, 686-689.
- McAlaney, J., Taylor, J. and Faily, S., 2015. The Social Psychology of Cybersecurity. The Psychologist.
- McAlaney, J., Benson, V. and Frumkin, L.A., 2018. Preface. xvii-xxiii.
- Thackray, 2018. Groups Online: Hacktivism and Social Protest. In: McAlaney, J., Frumkin, L. and Benson, V., eds. Psychological and Behavioral Examinations in Cyber Security. IGI Global, 194-209.
- Taylor, J., Thackray, H., Hodge, S.E. and McAlaney, J., 2018. Introducing psychological concepts and methods to cybersecurity students. Psychological and Behavioral Examinations in Cyber Security. 98-108.
- Sample, C., McAlaney, J., Bakdash, J. and Thackray, H., 2018. A cultural exploration of the social media manipulators. 432-440.
- Thackray, Richardson, C., Dogan, H., Taylor, J. and McAlaney, J., 2017. Surveying the Hackers: The Challenges of Data Collection from a Secluded Community. In: 16th European Conference on Cyber Warfare and Security 29-30 June 2017 Dublin, Ireland.
- Taylor, J., McAlaney, J., Hodge, S., Thackray, H., Richardson, C., James, S. and Dale, J., 2017. Teaching psychological principles to cybersecurity students. 1782-1789.
- Taylor, J., Ollis, G., McAlaney, J., Hodge, S. and Thackray, H., 2017. Observations and reflections on teaching psychological principles and methods to cybersecurity students. In: National Conference for Learning and Teaching in Cyber Security 2017 5-6 April 2017 Liverpool John Moores University. York: HEA.
- Thackray, 2016. Anonymous Online Hacking Groups. In: 3rd Annual Interdisciplinary Network for Social Protest Research Conference 9-10 June 2016 Cambridge.
- Thackray, H., McAlaney, J., Dogan, H., Taylor, J. and Richardson, C., 2016. Social psychology: An under-used tool in cybersecurity.
- Thackray, H., 2018. Hackers gonna hack: investigating the effect of group processes and social identities within online hacking communities. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Science and Technology.
- Thackray, 2016. Anonymous: Online group processes, social identity and cybersecurity. In: Bournemouth University 8th Annual Post Graduate Conference.
Profile of Teaching PG
Profile of Teaching UG
- Cyber Psychology
- Website Admin Assistant, Research Centre for Behaviour Change
- Realigning Cyber Security Education, Incorporating Psychology into Cyber Security Education: Key Areas and Pedagogical Approaches, 27 Nov 2017, Canberra
- Symposium on Cyber Security, Motivations, group processes and decision making of hackers and hacktivists, 14 Nov 2017, Manchester
- DefCon SE Village, Hackers gonna hack: But do they know why?, 27 Jul 2017, Caesars Palace, Las Vegas
- 22nd Annual CyberPsychology, CyberTherapy & Social Networking Conference (CYPSY22), Challenge accepted: Data Collection from hacking communities, 26 Jun 2017, Wolverhampton
- British HCI Conference, Social Psychology: An under-used tool in Cybersecurity, 11 Jul 2016, Bournemouth University
- 3rd INSPR Conference, Anonymous Online Hacking Collectives, 09 Jun 2016, University of Cambridge
- Bournemouth University 8th Annual Post Graduate Conference, Anonymous: Online group processes, social identity and cybersecurity, 08 Mar 2016, Bournemouth
- MSc in Contemporary Identities (University of Bristol, 2013)
- BA (Hons) in Italian and Politics (Swansea University, 2012)