- 01202 961120
- mcoles at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Deputy Head Of Department In Computing and Informatics
- Poole House P425a, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a Principal Academic and the Deputy Head of the Computing and Informatics Department. I joined Bournemouth University in June 1997 from the University of East London, where I was a lecturer in the Innovation Studies Department.
My research, both PhD and wider research, has been developed as a result of my teaching experience and has impacted upon subsequent teaching and learning developments. I have taught programming for a number of years, with different sized cohorts, at different levels, on different degrees and it was this experience that led me to explore why programming can be difficult to both learn and teach, and what can be done to improve the student experience in learning to program.
- Mavengere, N.B., Henriksen-Bulmer, J., Passmore, D., Mayes, H., Fakorede, O., Coles, M. and Atfield-Cutts, S., 2021. Applying innovative technologies and practices in the rapid shift to remote learning. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 48, 185-195.
- Coles, M. and Phalp, K., 2019. Undergraduate students’ learning approaches & learning to program. In: PPIG 2019 - 30th Annual Workshop 28-30 August 2019 Newcastle University, UK. https://www.ppig.org/papers/.
- Atfield-Cutts, S., Ollis, G., Coles, M. and Mayes, H., 2016. Blended Feedback II: Video feedback for individual students is the norm, on an undergraduate computer programming unit. In: 27th Annual Workshop of the Psychology of Programming Interest Group - PPIG 2016 7-10 September 2016 St. Catharine's College, University of Cambridge, UK. Psychology of Programming Interest Group (PPIG 2016).
- Coles, M. and Phalp, K., 2016. Brain Type as a Programming Aptitude Predictor. PPIG, 10 Psychology of Programming Interest Group.
- Atfield-Cutts, S., Jeary, S., Coles, M. and Mayes, H., 2011. Reflections on Experience-based Learning in a First Year Computing Undergraduate Degree Course. In: BU Enhancing Education Conference 10 May 2011 Bournemouth University, Poole, England.
- Coles, M., Atfield-Cutts, S., Mayes, H. and Jeary, S., 2011. Reflections on Experience-based Learning in a First Year Computing Undergraduate Degree Course. In: BU Education Enhancement Conference 10 May 2011 Bournemouth University, Poole, England.
- Coles, M., Atfield-Cutts, S., Mayes, H. and Jeary, S., 2011. Reflections on Experience-based Learning in a First Year Computing Undergraduate Degree Course. In: Enhancing the First Year Computing Curriculum 10 March 2011 South Bank University, London, England.
- Kanyaru, K., 2008. Using visualisation to elicit domain information as part of the Model Driven Architecture approach.
- Jeary, S., Kanyaru, J.M., Coles, M., Roth, A., Wadziak, T., Habela, P., Phalp, K.T. and Vincent, J., 2008. EC 6th Framework Project ‘VIDE’ (Visual Model Driven Programming), Contract No. 033606. Visual user interfaces for model-driven programming – Evaluation of tools, method definition and design specification for VIDE. Technical Report D5.1. EC. Available from: http://www.vide-ist.eu/extern/VIDE_D5.1.pdf.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Persuasive Technology and Behaviour Change
Profile of Teaching UG
- Principles of Programming
- KTP with Morning Data Limited (Technology Strategy Board, 01 Jun 2009). Completed
- KTP with Hark Solutions (Technology Strategy Board, 01 Mar 2009). Completed
- Member, Quality Assurance and Enhancment Group QAEG
- MSc in Distributed Information Systems (University of East London, 1994)
- Graduate Diploma in Information Systems (Polytechnic of East London, 1991)
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (CNAA, 1987)
- BCSWomen, Member (2010-),
- BCS, Member (2003-),
- Higher Education Academcy, Fellow (2002-),