Dr Peter Erdelyi
- 01202 968713
- perdelyi at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Strategy/Marketing
- Executive Business Centre EB501, Bournemouth University, 89 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Péter Erdélyi is Senior Lecturer in Strategy and Marketing in the Department of Leadership, Strategy and Organisations (LSO). He also serves as Framework Leader for Postgraduate Courses in Management. Péter set up and runs the Strategy, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Special Interest Group (SEI SIG) in the department. He holds a PhD from the London School of Economics and Political Science, an MBA from IESE Business School, and an MA from the State University of New York. He has over 20 years of higher education teaching experience acquired in the USA, Taiwan, Slovakia, and the UK. He has also worked on various finance, technology, and marketing-related projects at Goldman Sachs, Ford Motor Company, and NIKE, and with a number of micro-enterprises in e-commerce and entrepreneurial education.
My current research interests revolve around the nature and role of markets and marketplaces in entrepreneurship and innovation, and participants' valuation practices when engaging with such markets. More broadly speaking, I am interested in the intersection of entrepreneurship, innovation, market and valuation studies. I use qualitative research methods, especially actor-network theory (ANT). I draw on economic sociology, organisation theory, and science and technology studies (STS). I currently supervise doctoral students in the areas of entrepreneurship and small business support in both developed and developing country contexts. I have so far supervised 3 PhD students to completion. I am also a PhD examiner. I welcome inquiries from prospective PhD applicants interested in conducting qualitative research in the above areas.
- Ngugi, I.K., Johnsen, R.E. and Erdélyi, P., 2010. Relational capabilities for value co-creation and innovation in SMEs. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 17, 260-278.
- Latour, B., Harman, G. and Erdélyi, P., 2011. The Prince and the Wolf: Latour and Harman at the LSE. Winchester, England and Washington DC, USA: Zero Books.
- Lugosi, P. and Erdélyi, P., 2009. From marketing to market practices: Assembling the ruin bars of Budapest. In: Fyall, A., Kozak, M., Andreu, L., Gnoth, J. and Lebe, S.S., eds. Marketing Innovations for Sustainable Destinations: Operations, Interactions, Experiences.. Oxford: Goodfellows Publishers, 299-310.
- Erdelyi, P. and Whitley, E.A., 2016. Following entrepreneurs to markets: What entrepreneurship theory and market studies can learn from each other. In: Im)Possible Markets: 4th Interdisciplinary Market Studies Workshop 8-10 June 2016 University of St Andrews, Scotland.
- Erdélyi, P. and Whitley, E.A., 2015. Dragons’ Den style contests as market devices: Constructing entrepreneurial markets for e-commerce in Southern England. In: Annual Meeting of Society for Social Studies of Science (4S) 11-14 November 2015 Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Erdélyi, P. and Whitley, E.A., 2015. Implementing the knowledge-based economy: Market devices as policy instruments. In: UACES CRN workshop on 'The politics of knowledge: Europe and beyond' 16-17 July 2015 Robinson College, University of Cambridge.
- Okwilagwe, O., Apostolakis, C. and Erdélyi, P., 2015. Necessity or Opportunity? Public Private Partnerships for Local Regeneration in Nigeria. In: European Academy of Management Conference 17 June-20 July 2015 Warsaw, Poland.
- Okwilagwe, O., Apostolakis, C. and Erdélyi, P., 2014. Facilitating Collaboration Processes in Partnership Working in Nigeria. In: British Academy of Management Conference 9-11 September 2014 Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Ngugi, I.K., Johnsen, R.E., Erdélyi, P. and Eng, T.-Y., 2010. Supporting sustainability in customer-supplier relationships: Barriers for SMEs in the UK organic food industry. In: IPSERA Workshop on Sustainable Purchasing & Supply Management 16-17 September 2010 Saint Nazaire, France.
- Erdélyi, P., 2010. The Matter of Entrepreneurial Learning: A Literature Review. In: International Conference on Organizational Learning, Knowledge and Capabilities (OLKC) 2010 3-6 June 2010 Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA.
- Lugosi, P. and Erdélyi, P., 2009. From Marketing to Market Practices: Assembling the Ruin Bars of Budapest. In: Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference 2009 6-9 September 2009 Bournemouth University, England. Oxford: Goodfellows Publishers, 299-310.
- Erdélyi, P., 2009. The Qualification of E-Commerce Services: A Case Study of Entrepreneurial Learning in the Technological Economy. In: Quadrangular Conference in Technology, Organizations and Society 2009 1-3 June 2009 University of Cambridge.
- Erdélyi, P., 2009. The Qualification of E-Commerce Services. In: 5th Social Study of ICT Open Research Forum (SSIT-ORF) 21-22 April 2009 ISIG, Department of Management, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Erdélyi, P., 2009. Actor-Network Theory and the Technological Economy. In: Business and Society Research Group Seminar 9 March 2009 Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Cambridge.
- Erdélyi, P. and Lugosi, P., 2009. From Marketing to Market Practices: Assembling the Ruin Bars of Budapest. In: Centre for Research in Management Seminar 25 February 2009 The Business School, Bournemouth University.
- Erdélyi, P., 2009. Framing, Qualification, and Reflexivity: Reporting from the Field. In: Information Systems Research Seminar 10 February 2009 ISIG, Department of Management, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Erdélyi, P., 2009. The Qualification of e-Commerce Business Services for Small Firms. In: Goldsmiths Winter Workshop in Economic Sociology 13-15 January 2009 Department of Sociology, Goldsmiths, University of London.
- Erdélyi, P., 2008. Organising Competence and ICT Artefacts: A Multi-Case Study of Small E-Commerce Firms in the South of England. In: Flows, Doings, Edges II: Anatomies of a Relational Research Process 3 October 2008 Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Ngugi, I.K., Johnsen, R.E. and Erdélyi, P., 2008. Relationship and Network Approach to Innovation and Capabilities Building in Small and Medium-Sized UK Organic Food and Drink Suppliers: A Literature Review. In: 24th IMP Conference 4-6 September 2008 Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Erdélyi, P. and Whitley, E.A., 2008. A Break from the Routine: Studying Strategising Practices at a Small E-Commerce Retailer with Actor-Network Theory. In: Strategy as Practice – Stability and Change in Strategizing Routines: 24th EGOS Colloquium 10-12 July 2008 Vrije University, Amsterdam.
- Erdélyi, P., 2008. Organising Performance in E-Commerce Firms: A Multi-Case Study of Small Retailers in the South of England. In: The Fourth Social Study of ICT Open Research Forum (SSIT-ORF4) 23-24 April 2008 ISIG, Department of Management, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Erdélyi, P., 2008. Designs on E-Communications: Assembling Knowledge Networks. In: E-Communications, South West Design Programme, Business Link 18 March 2008 The Business School, Bournemouth University.
- Erdélyi, P., 2008. The Thing in Mid-Assembly: Reflections on Developing a Doctoral Research Project. In: Information Systems Research Seminar 26 February 2008 ISIG, Department of Management, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Erdélyi, P., 2008. Organising Competence and e-Commerce Adoption: A Multi-Case Study of Small e-Tailers in the South of England. In: Strategy as Practice Symposium 20-22 February 2008 Lancaster University Management School, England.
- Erdélyi, P., 2007. A Multi-Case Study of Organising, Strategising and ICTs in e-Tailing SMEs in the UK. In: Releasing Research – Enterprise Potential: Finale Event 18 July 2007 Bournemouth University, England.
- Erdélyi, P., 2007. Organizing Competences: The Role of ICTs in Strategy Formation in SMEs. In: The Third Social Study of ICT Open Research Forum (SSIT-ORF) 21-22 March 2007 ISIG, Department of Management, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Erdélyi, P., 2006. Surviving Startup Pilot Project. In: The 6th Seville Transnational Meeting of the Atlantic Net Project 27-28 November 2006 Seville, Spain.
- Erdélyi, P., 2006. Surviving Startup Pilot Project – INTERREG IIIB Atlantic Net. In: INTERREG IIIB Atlantic Net Workshop 15 November 2006 Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland.
- Erdélyi, P., 2006. "Surviving Startup - Through Customer Focus" website. Available from: http://web.archive.org/web/20061209004325/http://www.survivingstartup.co.uk/.
- Fang Yang. Business ecosystems in creative industries in China
- Isaac Ngugi. "Value Co-Creation between SME Suppliers and Large Customers in the UK Organic Food Sector" - completed in 2011 [Fully-funded PhD studentship]
- Tim Ford. The role of co-production in strategy formation: A study of business support for small enterprises in Dorset
- Osikhuemhe Okwilagwe. Collaboration processes in partnership working: local regeneration in Nigeria - completed in 2017 [Vice-Chancellor's PhD Scholarship]
Profile of Teaching PG
- Dissertation supervision - MSc Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship
- "Business Relationships and Networks" - MSc International Management & MSc Marketing Management
- "Managing in Global Markets" - MSc International Management
- Framework Leader, MSc Management Framework. <a href="https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/courses/postgraduate-subject-areas/business-management-marketing" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/courses/postgraduate-subject-areas/business-management-marketing<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- PhD in Information Systems (London School of Economics and Political Science, 2015)
- Mgr in Teacher's Certificate, English & Hungarian (Constantine the Philosopher University in Nitra, Slovakia, 1992)
- MA in English (State University of New York at Binghamton, 1995)
- MBA in General Management, (IESE Business School, Barcelona, Spain, 1999)
- PG Cert in Research Degree Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- Winner of Best Paper Award (with Péter Lugosi) (Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference, 2009)
- AECI Scholarship for postgraduate study in Spain (Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo (AECID), 1998)
- Fulbright Scholarship for postgraduate study in the United States (United States Department of State, 1992)
- British Academy of Management (BAM), Member,
- European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS), Member,
- Politics of Higher Education, Research, and Innovation Standing Group, ECPR, Member,
- Society for Social Studies of Science (4S), Member,