- rutherford at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Creative Advertising
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
An editorial/illustrative photographer from Toronto, Canada, from 1982-1993, Rutherford made photographs for advertising & public relations campaigns and wrote and designed communications & public education materials for SMEs, government agencies and environmental & social justice groups. From 1993-1997, Rutherford served as the director of communications for two Canadian non-profit organisations: an environmental energy industry group and a national charity dealing with domestic violence.
Following a move to Nice, France in 1997, Rutherford produced implementation documents for corporate clients and monthly management, marketing & financial reports for a US head office and designed industrial training materials; in a subsequent post with a French High Technology consulting group, prepared proposal documents for the European Commission on behalf of SMEs applying for funding to collaborate on various KT projects.
In 1999, Rutherford was appointed senior lecturer in Communication & Culture at EAI Tech / CERAM in Sophia Antipolis, and, in 2006, programme leader of BA Advertising at the University of Chester...
Rutherford joined Bournemouth University in September 2014.
Rutherford holds a BA in Visual Art, Diplomas in Social Work & Graphic Design, Master’s degrees in Philosophy and Education, and is currently working towards a PhD.; a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Committed to raising awareness of the capacity of media and communication to shape our personal metaphors, our social narratives and our perception of information, since 1992, Rutherford's essays on photography, visual communication, advertising, ideological propaganda – and their effect on our ‘mental pictures’ of Products, Politics and the Right Priorities – have featured in several academic journals, newspapers and magazines.more
Using a practical project to encourage students’ self-reflection to increase reading Results presented 2014
Comparative analysis of creative tactics in outdoor advertising in Castelló, Spain & Warrington, UK (conducted in collaboration with two colleagues at the Universitat Jaume I, Spain) Results published 2013
The factors that influence levels of student engagement in Media programmes Internal report 2011
Three teaching styles delivered to a variety of student learning styles: What combination & sequence helped the students to understand core material & achieve learning objectives? Results published 2011
The relationship between our photographic snapshots & ‘mental maps’ Results published 2002
- Rutherford, 2018. Word processing as an act of collaboration: description of a media artwork. Media Practice and Education.
- Rutherford, Forde, E., Priego-Hernandez, J., Butcher, A. and Wedderburn, C., 2018. Using photography to enhance GP Trainees’ reflective practice and professional development. British Medical Journal.
- Rutherford, 2018. Is this photograph taken? The active (act of) collaboration with photography. Journal of Visual Art Practice.
- Rutherford, 2015. Standing behind the leaders. UK Election Analysis 2015: Media, Voters and the Campaign.
- Rutherford, 2015. Photography as an act of collaboration. Journal of Media Practice, 16 (1).
- Rutherford, 2015. Improving student engagement in commercial Art & Design programmes. iJADE - The International Journal of Art & Design Education.
- Rutherford, 2014. The development of an indigenous photographic aesthetic. Online Journal of Art & Design, 2 (1), 16-27.
- Rutherford, 2013. Messages with Impact: A comparative analysis of creative advertising tactics employed in outdoor platforms in Castellón (Spain) and Warrington (UK). Online Journal of Communication & Media Technologies, 3 (2), 94-111.
- Rutherford, 2013. Why Art, Design & Communication are relevant for employment and citizenship. Online Journal of Art & Design, 1 (3), 54-67.
- Rutherford, 2012. Why advertising and design students should be required to write. Networks (journal of the Higher Education Academy ADM Subject Centre).
- Rutherford, 2011. Mental Pictures and their implications for higher education. Networks (journal of the Higher Education Academy ADM Subject Centre), 16-20.
- Rutherford, 2011. Three learning tasks delivered to a wide range of student learning styles: What combination & sequence helped the students to understand the core material and fulfil defined learning objectives? Online Journal of Communication & Media Technologies, 1 (4), 171-192.
- Rutherford, 2007. Visual Symbols and Photographic Snapshots in the search for self-knowledge and fulfilment. International Journal of the Arts in Society, 1 (5), 115-122.
- Rutherford, 2002. Using photography in a therapeutic context. CATA: Canadian Art Therapy Association Journal, 15 (2), 14-32.
- Rutherford, 2010. In Your Right Mind. Lulu.
- Rutherford, 2009. The Shadow of the Photographer. Lulu.
- Scullion, R. and Rutherford, D., 2017. Socially responsible practices in Higher Education. The place of CSR n HE corporate communications programmes in the wake of the 2008 recession. In: Theofilou, A. and Grigore, G., eds. Corporate Social Responsibility. Palgrave.
- Rutherford and Scullion, R., 2016. Embedding social responsibility in HE corporate communications degrees. In: Theofilou, A., Grigore, G. and Stancu, A., eds. Corporate Social Responsibility in the Post Financial Crisis: CSR conceptualisations and international practices in times of uncertainty. Palgrave.
- Rutherford, 2014. Learning by Project – engaging students in self-reflection as a driver for learning. In: Warrington’s Works Research Festival 3 July 2014 University of Chester.
- Rutherford, 2014. The development of an indigenous photographic aesthetic. In: Chester Centre for Research in Arts & Media (CCRAM) 18 February 2014 University of Chester.
- Rutherford, 2012. Improving Student Engagement and Retention in Art & Design. In: Warrington’s Works Research Festival 9 July 2012 University of Chester.
- Rutherford, 2012. Teaching by Story – engaging students in the learning environment. In: 10th Annual International Conference on Communication & Mass Media 14-17 May 2012 Athens, Greece.
- Rutherford, 2012. Making HE relevant for graduates and citizens. In: Employability, Enterprise & Citizenship in HE 27 March 2012 Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Rutherford, 2011. The influence of narrative metaphors in teaching & learning. In: Annual Staff Conference 14 September 2011 University of Chester.
- Rutherford, 2011. Mental pictures and their implications for higher education. In: HEA - ADM annual forum: Shaping Things to Come - Higher Education Academy 17 May 2011 London, UK.
- Rutherford, 2010. The role of narrative metaphors in professional development. In: Department of Media Away Day 21 September 2010 University of Chester.
- Rutherford, 2007. Visual Communication in Advertising. In: Warrington Enterprise Networking Event 12 June 2007 University of Chester.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Creative Direction
- Boot Camp professional placement
Profile of Teaching UG
- Advertising, Media & Society
- Creative Direction & Copywriting
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Guest lecture on the History of contemporary advertising & branding and its social/cultural implications
- Guest lecture on Renaissance Art and its social/cultural implications
- From 2016-18, Rutherford worked with the Dorset GP Training Centre to deliver a series of workshops to assist GP trainees in using photography as a means to enhance personal reflection and self awareness.
- Since withdrawing from commercial photographic practice, Rutherford's photographic projects have been exhibited internationally in several solo and group exhibitions, including UK (2015, 2007), Canada (1992, 1996, 1997), USA (1997), France (1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001), Japan (1997) New Zealand (1988) - see http://www.theshadowofthephotographer.co.uk/
- Committed to raising awareness of the capacity of media and communication to shape our personal metaphors, our social narratives and our perception of information, since 1992, Rutherford's essays on photography, visual communication, advertising, ideological propaganda – and their effect on our ‘mental pictures’ of Products, Politics and the Right Priorities – have featured in several academic journals, newspapers and magazines.
- Warrington’s Works Research Festival, Learning by Project: engaging students in self-reflection as a driver for learning, 01 Jan 2014, University of Chester
- Chester Centre for Research in Arts & Media (CCRAM), The development of an indigenous photographic aesthetic, 01 Jan 2014, University of Chester
- 10th Annual International Conference on Communication & Mass Media, Teaching by Story: engaging students in the learning environment, 14 May 2012, Athens
- Employability, Enterprise & Citizenship in Higher Education, Making HE relevant for graduates and citizens, 01 Jan 2012, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Warrington’s Works Research Festival, Improving Student Engagement and Retention in Art & Design, 01 Jan 2012, University of Chester
- Shaping Things to Come, Mental pictures and their implications for higher education, 01 Jan 2011, London
- Annual Staff Conference, The influence of narrative metaphors in teaching & learning, 01 Jan 2011, University of Chester
- Association for Photography in Higher Education (APHE), Member (2015-), http://aphe.ac.uk/
- HEA, Fellow (2007-),