Dr Fiona Cownie
- 01202 965104
- fjcownie at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Professor
- Weymouth House W420, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Fiona Cownie’s research interests lie within the areas of student experience and a relational approach to higher education. An experienced manager and teacher, Fiona has led the student experience across the faculty, and has provided leadership within roles including Associate Dean - Media Production, Head of Quality, Head of Programmes.
Fiona seeks to live the values of the university by inspiring her students through pedagogic experiences which prioritise collaboration, support, conceptual thinking and enjoyability. Her teaching is at final year undergraduate and master’s level in the areas of Relationship Marketing and Word-of-mouth Communication. Student feedback is consistently very positive, with students valuing Fiona’s enthusiasm, engagement, conceptual focus and support. Fiona’s research examines relational concepts of commitment and gratitude and she seeks to engage in pedagogic practice which draws on these ideas to the benefit of students’ learning experience. Her doctoral supervision again often examines issues within the context of higher education...
Fiona has been involved in curriculum development over many years, developing curriculum frameworks and individual degrees at both undergraduate and postgraduate areas. She has developed curricula which support innovative pedagogic approaches.
Working with our educational partners within SE Asia (Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam), Fiona has established student exchanges and worked with colleagues overseas to organize research partnerships and conferences. She is an active participant within BU’s Global Festivals of Learning, and is a member of the University’s ASEAN working group.
Fiona is a lead assessor for the Society for Research in Higher Education (SRHE), in the area of student experience, and has presented at recent SRHE conferences within the areas of commitment within widening participation students, gratitude and engagement.
Aligned to the Centre of Excellence for Media Practice,more
Academy of Marketing (2014) Conference paper reviewer, Marketing in Higher Education.
Academy of Marketing (2015) Conference paper reviewer, Marketing in Higher Education.
Cross-cultural Communication Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, (2016). Conference paper reviewer.
Journal of Media Practice, reviewer
- Cownie, F., 2018. Proximity and Consumer Trust in a Brand Crisis. Journal of Promotional Communication, 5 (3).
- Cownie, F., 2018. Communication Problem. Research Professional.
- Cownie, F., 2018. What makes consumers trust automotive electronic commerce? Journal of Promotional Communications.
- Cownie, F., 2017. What drives students’ affective commitment towards their university? Journal of further and higher education.
- Cownie, F., 2017. Gratitude and its drivers within higher education. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, 27 (2).
- Hogben, J. and Cownie, F., 2017. Exploring Slacktivism; Does The Social Observability of Online Charity Participation Act as a Mediator of Future Behavioural Intentions? Journal of Promotional Communication.
- Chapple, C. and Cownie, F., 2017. An investigation into viewers’ trust in and response towards disclosed paid-for endorsements by YouTube lifestyle Vloggers. Journal of Promotional Communication.
- Cownie, F., 2016. Gratitude: Does it have a place within media-practice education? Journal of Media Practice.
- Cownie, F., 2016. An analysis of word-of-mouth communication amongst students. Do UK students intend to behave differently from their overseas counterparts? Journal of Communication Arts, 3 (2559).
- Cownie, F., 2015. Commitment balance: An opportunity for cross-cultural research. Journal of Communication Arts, 33 (2), 38-47.
- Cownie, F., 2003. Alternative values in legal education. Legal Ethics, 6 (2), 159-174.
- Cownie, F. and Goode, J., 2018. Alumni Associations.
- Cownie, F. and Bradney, A., 2017. Socio-legal studies a challenge to the doctrinal approach. Research Methods in Law. 40-65.
- Cownie, F., 2015. Commitment balance: An opportunity for cross-cultural research. Creativity, cultural identify and corporate social responsibility.. Bangkok, Thailand: Chulalongkorn University, Faculty of Communication Arts, 190-207.
- Cownie, F., Milton, P. and Polkinghorne, M., 2009. Development of an e-Marketing & IT Strategy - A Knowledge Transfer Case Study. Applications of knowledge transfer to small and medium sized businesses. 2009 ed.. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Cownie, F., 1999. Relationship Marketing. In: Kitchen, P.J., ed. Marketing Communications: Principles and Practice. London: Thomson Business Press, 403-421.
- Cownie, F., 2018. Do Alumni want to give back to their University? In: Annual Conference of Society for Research into Higher Education 5-7 December 2018 Celtic Manor, Newport, Gwent..
- Cownie, F., 2018. Do alumni want to give back to their university? In: Academy of Marketing 4-6 July 2018 University of Stirling.
- Cownie, F., 2018. Do alumni want to give back to their university? In: Alumni Engagement, Student Experiences SRHE Research Network 16 May 2018 SRHE, London..
- Cownie, F., 2018. Cross-cultural feelings and expressions of gratitude within higher education. In: Cross Cultural Communication Conference 24-26 January 2018 Barcelona.
- Cownie, F., 2017. Entitlement in HE: student and academic perspectives. In: Society for Research in HIgher Education Annual Conference 6-8 December 2017 Celtic Manor, Newport.
- Cownie, F., 2017. Entitlement: Its role within the marketing of higher education. In: Academy of Marketing Annual Conference 4-6 July 2017 University of Hull.
- Cownie, F., 2017. Telling stories: opportunities for word-of-mouth communication. In: Academy of Marketing Annual Conference 4-6 July 2017 University of Hull.
- Cownie, F., 2016. An exploratory study of ‘The gratitude-engagement cycle’. In: Society for Research into Higher Education 7-9 December 2016 Celtic Manor, Newport, Wales..
- Cownie, F., 2016. Entitlement: perspectives from students, alumni and academics within media higher education. In: Media Education Summit 4-5 November 2016 John Cabot University, Rome, Italy.
- Cownie, F., 2016. Gratitude in higher education: evidence and outcomes. In: Academy of Marketing, 5-8 July 2016 Newcastle Business School, Northumbria University.
- Cownie, F., 2016. Gratitude: examining the core of reciprocal relationships in higher education. In: Global Festival of Learning 28-29 June 2016 Sunway University, KL, Malaysia.
- Cownie, F., 2016. Gratitude and its drivers within HE. In: Academy of Marketing: Special interest group. Marketing in HE. 27 April 2016 Bournemouth University.
- Cownie, F., 2016. An analysis of word-of-mouth communication amongst students. Do UK students behave differently from their overseas counterparts? In: Cross-Cultural Communication Conference. 28-29 January 2016 Novatel, Bangkok, Thailand..
- Cownie, F., 2015. Conceptualising the student experience: a new framework. In: Society for Research into Higher Education Annual Conference. 9-11 December 2015 Celtic Manor, Newport..
- Cownie, F., 2015. Gratitude in media education: its role within the student experience. In: Media Education Summit. 2015 20-21 November 2015 Emmerson University, Boston, US..
- Cownie, F., 2015. An analysis of undergraduate students’ intentions to emit word-of-mouth communication about their experiences of H.E. In: Academy of Marketing, 2015. 7-9 July 2015 Limerick.
- Cownie, F., 2015. Commitment balance: an opportunity for cross-cultural research. In: International Corporate and Marketing Communications in Asia Conference. 29-30 January 2015 Bangkok, Thailand..
- Cownie, F., 2014. Does being first in family to attend HE, impact undergraduate students’ reports of commitment? In: Society for Research into Higher Education Newer Researchers' Conference. 9 December 2014 Celtic Manor, Newport..
- Cownie, F., 2014. Cownie, F.J. (2014) An analysis of media students’ reports of commitment within HE,. In: International Media Education Summit, 20-21 November 2014 Metropolitan University Prague..
- Cownie, F., 2014. Students’ reports of normative commitment within UK higher education. In: Academy of Marketing, 8-10 July 2014 Bournemouth University.
- Cownie, F., 2014. Developing a problem solution strategy: reflections from the Media School. In: Service Excellence Conference 23 April 2014-23 April 2015 Bournemouth University.
- Cownie, F., 2013. Media students’ intentions to emit word-of-mouth. In: Media Education Summit, 18-20 September 2013 Sheffield Hallam University..
- Cownie, F., 2012. Exploring word-of-mouth communication. In: British Council 19 June 2012 British Council, Bangkok, Thailand..
- Cownie, F., 2012. Innovative ways to empower, support and reward student reps. In: Student Union Conference 18-19 June 2012 Nottingham Trent University.
- Cownie, F. and Scullion, R., 2012. Inspire, create, share: Attempting to create an appropriate learning culture through a 'Charter'. In: Fusion. 9 May 2012 Bournemouth University.
- Cownie, F., 2012. Cownie, F.J. (2012) Undergraduate students’ commitment and intentions to emit word-of-mouth. In: LSIE Research Students’ Conference, 16 April 2012 Southampton University.
- Cownie, F., 2010. Experiences of CPD: The Media School Short Course Framework. In: Education Enhancement Conference 2010 20 May 2010 Bournemouth University, England.
- Cownie, F., 2009. BU Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning. In: Education Enhancement Conference 2009 21 May 2009 Bournemouth University, England.
- Cownie, F., 2008. Reflection on Knowledge Transfer Partnerships. In: Media Education Summit, 2015: Skillset workshop. 3-5 September 2008 Birmingham City University..
- Cownie, F., 2008. Experiences of delivering CPD short courses. In: Media Education Summit. 3-5 September 2008 Birmingham City University..
- Cownie, F., 1999. An Examination of the Evidence and Role of Commitment and Trust within Marketing Relationships Between a Charity and its Members. In: Academy Of Marketing Proceedings of the Annual Conference 7-9 July 1999 University Of Stirling. Stirling: University Of Stirling, 476-503.
- Cownie, F., Milton, P. and Polkinghorne, M., 2008. Development of an e-marketing & IT strategy - a knowledge transfer case study. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Cownie, F., Milton, P. and Polkinghorne, M., 2008. Development of an integrated e-marketing & IT strategy – a knowledge transfer case study. Bournemouth, England, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Cownie, F., Milton, P. and Polkinghorne, M., 2008. Wheesh Ltd: KTP Final Report. UK: TSB.
- Giles Milner. Application of learning theories in management work-based learning practice Ed D part-time.
- Monsak Chaiveeradech. A study of bridging digital media literacy concept in Thai context of mindfulness, a case study of Thai online consumers’ perceived risk of social networking sites. PhD, full time
- Shenel Mc Lawrence, 2018. The role of rapport in high net work individual client relationships within a service context.
- Rehnuma Ali-Choudhury. Modelling the University Brand: Theoretical Development and Empirical Application
- Jacqui Speculund. Can first year students become self-determined learners? Trialling an entrepreneurial learning module.
- Helen O'Sullivan. HEI Brand Success.
- Richard (Thomas) Berry
Profile of Teaching PG
- Exploring word-of-mouth communication
Profile of Teaching UG
- Relationship Marketing
Bringing a relationship marketing perspective to h, University of Portsmouth, 18 Nov 2015 more
University of Portsmouth Research Series.
Understanding co-creation, FTU, Hanoi, Vietnam, 07 May 2018 more
Understanding co-creation and the implications of culture for its success in Vietnam. Invited as part of ASEAN Global Festival of Learning.
- University of South Wales, External examiner (2016-)
- University of Portsmouth, External examiner (2016-)
- University of South Wales, Postgraduate Award Board Examiner (2016-2017)
- University of South Wales, External examiner (2015-)
- University of Portsmouth, external examiner (2000-2005)
- Anglia Polytechnic University, external examiner (1996-)
- University of Hertfordshire, external examiner (1994-1998)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing, Senior Examiner Promotional Practice (1992-2000)
- member, Education and Student Experience Committee
- member of executive in varying capacities: Head of programmes; Head of Quality; Head of Academic Group; Head of Student Experience, School executive
- member, Student Voice Committee
- Chair 2000-2003; member 2003 onwards, School Quality Committee/School Academic Standards Committee
- member in capacity of Head of Student Experience, Media School., Education and Student Experience Committee
- Chair, Student Experience Forum Media School
- Independent member, HSC Academic Standards Committee
- Chair, Academic Offences Panel (Media School/FMC)
- member, as Head of Student Experience, NSS working group
- member, International Task Force
- Member, representing Media School/FMC, BUCAT
- Member, representing Media School/FMC, Fair Access Committee
- member, Fair Access student retention and success working group
- Member, representing Media School/FMC, Technology Enhanced Learning Group
- member, Quality and Enhancement Group
- member, Releasing Potential Committee
- member, Change Management Committee
- independent member, Internal audit team
- Member, representing Media School/FMC, Student Voice Committee
- member, representing Media School, Academic Standards Committee
- Member, Review of Enterprise Group
- member, SURE organising committee
- member, British Conference of Undergraduate Research Conference organising committee
- Member, representing Faculty of Media and Communication, International Commencement Ceremony Working Group
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Student Experiences Research Network, convened workshop on Alumni Engagement to an international audience. I also presented 'Do alumni want to give back to their university?'
- Application of VR and AR in PR, communication and advertising
- The golden age for content creators and trends not to be missed
- Thank-you for coming to this session: Why gratitude matters: the power and challenges of saying ‘thank-you’. A workshop delivered by Fiona Cownie (BU) and Kate Bond (Royal Bournemouth Hospital)
- Talking word-of-mouth communication. A BU workshop: Hanoi, June 2016.
- I supported the university's summer school activities, generating workshop leaders for activity and delivering workshop on word of mouth communication
- Bright space training, 31 Jan 2018
- Research Impact and the Research Assessment Framework, 29 Jan 2018
- British Academy Bid Writing Workshop, 03 Apr 2017
- Introduction to British Academy, 08 Mar 2017
- Introduction to MSCA Fellowships, 02 Feb 2017
- Coaching masterclass., 31 Jan 2017
- Research Bid Writing Workshop, 07 Apr 2016
- N vivo workshop (day one), 06 Apr 2016
- Statistics Refresher Workshop, 05 Apr 2016
- Writing workshop, 24 Jun 2015
- Supervisors' training, 10 Feb 2015
- MA in Marketing (University of Portsmouth, 1998)
- BA (Hons) in Human Geography (University of Reading, 1983)
- Senior Fellowship of HEA (HEA, 2014)
- HEA, Senior Fellow (2014-),
- Society for the research into higher education (SRHE), Member (2015-),
- Women's Academic Network, Member,