Dr Vegard Engen
- 01202 966670
- vengen at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Deputy Head Of Department In Computing And Informatics
- Poole House P429, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I'm Deputy Head of Department in Computing & Informatics at Bournemouth University, where I focus on external engagement / professional practice and student engagement in addition to general management, teaching and research responsibilities.
My technical expertise includes several flavours of artificial intelligence, software engineering and modelling, as well as project management and business development. I am also ITIL and PRINCE2 certified.
After completing a PhD in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and network-based intrusion detection at Bournemouth University in 2010, I joined a start-up in London, working with the UK Government on population-based simulation modelling. I then joined the IT Innovation Centre at the University of Southampton as a Research Engineer, doing applied research in both national and European research and innovation projects. I moved on to a senior position at IT Innovation with technical, management, business development and marketing responsibilities, before I returned Bournemouth University in 2018...
My research is driven by real-world applications, having worked with hundreds of organisations in cross-disciplinary projects over the years. I have a keen interest in applying novel technologies to generate value to people and the environment; particularly health and well-being.
A couple of fun highlights include
> Being part of the world's first mixed reality ski-race, racing down the world cup slope in Schladming (Austria) against people joining as virtual avatars from Athens and Munich. Featured in BBC Click and CBS America.
> Presenting a business process risk management framework at the NAB Show in Las Vegas, which is the world’s largest and most prestigious exhibition for the media production industry with over 1,600 exhibiting companies and 100,000 attendees from all over the world.
> Being a founding member of the BonFIRE Foundation (set up the Operations Committee), which sustained a multi-Cloud testbed part of the European Future Internet community (since then evolved to the ‘Next Generation Internet’).more
My most recent research and innovation projects have involved population-level risk stratification to support healthcare policy making, decision support for the safe navigation of shipping voyages across the arctic, and educational gaming to encourage prosocial behaviour in children.
With a background in AI, I have researched and delivered machine learning solutions applied to different real-world problems ranging from network-based intrusion detection to medical diagnosis.
My research has delved into human-machine networks from different perspectives, including risk prediction in online communities, modelling trust, agency and behaviour, population-based simulation focusing on how humans and machines influence each other in increasingly interconnected networks.
In the past, I have researched distributed search and optimisation based on natural computing (computational intelligence). I have applied this to the area of Cloud computing, working on resource optimisation based on predicting application performance.
- Almilaji, O., Engen, V., Snook, J. and Docherty, S., 2022. The development of a web-based application to predict the risk of gastrointestinal cancer in iron deficiency anaemia; the IDIOM app. Digital, Special Edition of Intelligent Digital Health Interventions, 2 (1), 104-119.
- Kyriazis, D., Engen, V. et al., 2019. The CrowdHEALTH project and the hollistic health records: Collective wisdom driving public health policies. Acta Informatica Medica, 27 (5), 369-373.
- Tsvetkova, M., Yasseri, T., Meyer, E.T., Pickering, J.B., Engen, V., Walland, P., Lüders, M., Følstad, A. and Bravos, G., 2017. Understanding human-machine networks: A cross-disciplinary survey. ACM Computing Surveys, 50 (1).
- Kyriazis, D., Engen, V. et al., 2017. CrowdHEALTH: Holistic health records and big data analytics for health policy making and personalized health. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 238, 19-23.
- Engen, V., Veres, G., Crowle, S. and Walland, P., 2016. Business Process Risk Management and Simulation Modelling for Digital Audio-Visual Media Preservation. International Journal On Advances in Internet Technology.
- Engen, V., Vincent, J. and Phalp, K., 2011. Exploring discrepancies in findings obtained with the KDD Cup '99 data set. Intelligent Data Analysis, 15 (2), 251-276.
- Engen, V., Vincent, J. and Phalp, K., 2008. Enhancing network based intrusion detection for imbalanced data. International Journal of Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Engineering Systems, 12 (5-6), 357-367.
- Boniface, M., Engen, V., Matrat, J., Garcia, D., Kavoussanakis, K., Hume, A. and Margery, D., 2017. BonFIRE: A multi-cloud experimentation-as-a-service ecosystem. Building the Future Internet through FIRE: 2016 FIRE Book: a Research and Experimentation based Approach English. 243-266.
- Marquezan, C.C., Metzger, A., Pohl, K., Engen, V., Boniface, M., Phillips, S.C. and Zlatev, Z., 2017. Adaptive future internet applications: Opportunities and challenges for adaptive web services technology. Application Development and Design: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. 1568-1589.
- Pickering, J.B., Engen, V. and Walland, P., 2017. The interplay between human and machine agency. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 47-59.
- Marquezan, C., Metzger, A., Pohl, K., Engen, V., Boniface, M., Phillips, S. and Zlatev, Z., 2012. Adaptive Web Services for Modular and Reusable Software Development. In: Cubo, J. and Ortiz, G., eds. IGI Global.
- Almilaji, O., Engen, V., Thomas, P. and Snook, J., 2021. THE DEVELOPMENT OF A WEB-BASED APPLICATION TO PREDICT THE RISK OF GI CANCER IN IDA. GUT, 70, A37-A38.
- Følstad, A., Engen, V., Haugstveit, I.M. and Pickering, J.B., 2018. Automation in human-machine networks: how increasing machine agency affects human agency. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 659, 72-81.
- Jansson, K., Karvonen, I., Kettunen, O., Ollus, M., Hooper, C.J., Engen, V., Pickering, B., Surridge, M. and Redwood, M., 2016. Forecasting impact of technology developed in RandD projects: The FITMAN approach. 2015 IEEE International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation/ International Technology Management Conference, ICE/ITMC 2015.
- Eide, A.W., Pickering, J.B., Yasseri, T., Bravos, G., Følstad, A., Engen, V., Tsvetkova, M., Meyer, E.T., Walland, P. and Lüders, M., 2016. Human-machine networks: Towards a typology and profiling framework. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 9731, 11-22.
- Engen, V., Brian Pickering, J. and Walland, P., 2016. Machine agency in human-machine networks; impacts and trust implications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 9733, 96-106.
- Phillips, S.C., Bashevoy, M., Boniface, M., Crowle, S., Engen, V., Sinkala, Z. and Wiegand, S., 2015. Linking quality of service and experience in distributed multimedia systems using PROV semantics. Proceedings - 9th IEEE International Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering, IEEE SOSE 2015, 30, 117-126.
- Engen, V., Veres, G., Crowle, S., Bashevoy, M., Walland, P. and Hall-May, M., 2015. A Semantic Risk Management Framework for Digital Audio-Visual Media Preservation. The 10th International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (ICIW).
- Nasser, B., Engen, V. and Walland, P., 2013. Next Generation Community Management: A Proactive Risk-based Approach. Managing Business Communities - Taking a Closer Look at the ROBUST Project, 1 IEEE.
- Kavoussanakis, K., Engen, V. et al., 2013. BonFIRE: The clouds and services testbed. Proceedings of the International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, CloudCom, 2, 321-326.
- Engen, V., Nasser, B. and Walland, P., 2013. A Framework for Proactive Risk Management of Online Communities. The 26th European Conference on Operational Research.
- Hume, A.C., Engen, V. et al., 2012. BonFIRE: A multi-cloud test facility for internet of services experimentation. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, 44 LNICST, 81-96.
- Engen, V., Papay, J., Phillips, S.C. and Boniface, M., 2012. Predicting application performance for multi-vendor clouds using dwarf benchmarks. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 7651 LNCS, 659-665.
- Phillips, S.C., Engen, V. and Papay, J., 2011. Snow white clouds and the seven Dwarfs. Proceedings - 2011 3rd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, CloudCom 2011, 738-745.
- Metzger, A., Boniface, M., Engen, V., Phillips, S.C. and Zlatev, Z., 2011. Towards Critical Event Monitoring, Detection and Prediction for Self-adaptive Future Internet Applications. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Adaptive Services for the Future Internet.
- Engen, V., Vincent, J., Schierz, A.C. and Phalp, K., 2009. Multi-objective evolution of the pareto optimal set of neural network classifier ensembles. Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, 1, 74-79.
- Vincent, J., Engen, V., Langenberg, S., Phalp, K., Mintram, R. and Anyakoha, C., 2007. A notation and representation for describing and evolving correlation patterns. Proceedings of the 11th IASTED International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing, ASC 2007, 207-212.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Machine Learning
- Faculty of Engineering Environment & Computing, Coventry University, External Examiner
- Deputy Head, Department of Computing and Informatics
- Industrial Liaison, Department of Computing and Informatics
- PRINCE2 Foundation
- PRINCE2 Practitioner
- ITIL Foundation
- ITIL Service Design
- PhD in Computer Science (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- MSc in Computer Science (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- BEng (Hons) in Computer Science (Narvik University College, 2005)
- IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society, Member,
- IEEE, Member,
Social Media Links
- LinkedIn, https://www.linkedin.com/in/vegardengen/