Dr Sharon Docherty
- sdocherty at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Deputy Head Of Department Of Medical Sciences And Public Health
- Bournemouth Gateway Building BG117, St Pauls Lane, Bournemouth, BH8 8GP
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am Deputy Head of Department for Medical Science and Public Health and Programme Lead for MSc Health Research. In addition, I am a co-applicant on two clinical trials funded by NIHR Research for Patient Benefit. This involves working with several interdisciplinary teams, including academics from Bournemouth and other universities, Clinical Trials Units and NHS health professionals on such diverse topics as management of hip osteoarthritis and treatment of burns scars.
My external engagement activities include being a national selection committee member for the HEE/NIHR Pre-doctoral Clinical and Practitioner Academic Fellowship award. While within BU I am an academic representative on the Science, Technology and Health Research Ethics Panel.
For over 15 years I have carried out research projects related to human health. My main area of interest relates to how integration of information from visual, vestibular and proprioception systems (as measured by perception of vertical) is affected by clinical conditions such as Parkinson’s disease and diabetes... Above normal errors and high individual variability are possible indicators of neurological complications suggesting the test may be a useful screening tool in other conditions such as falls in older adults.
Other research studies have related to functional testing (e.g. balance, movement performance) related to musculoskeletal disorders. These have involved working closely with clinical colleagues to design, execute and analyse the results from the research projects.
With a background in Biology, my academic career has covered teaching Anatomy and Physiology (animal and human) as well as Research Methods to undergraduate students from a range of Biological and Health Science disciplines in South Africa and the UK. I have also supervised to completion a range of undergraduate and postgraduate taught MSc projects as well as PhD students.
I have a keen interest in Public Engagement in Research which has developed throughout my career. In this capacity, I co-founded Café Scientifique Bournemouth in 2012 and have been the academic lead for events since then. I have also taken part in a variety of events such as the Science Tent at Bestival music festival.more
- Wainwright, T.W., Immins, T., Docherty, S., Rees, T., Middleton, R.G. et al., 2023. CycLing and EducATion (CLEAT): protocol for a single centre randomised controlled trial of a cycling and education intervention versus standard physiotherapy care for the treatment of hip osteoarthritis. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 24 (1).
- Tribe, H.C., Docherty, S., Kelsall, N. and Harvey, A., 2022. The influence of the patient's health-state compared with time to surgery on the outcomes following hip fracture surgery: a longitudinal study of 4,791 patients. Ann R Coll Surg Engl.
- Almilaji, O., Engen, V., Snook, J. and Docherty, S., 2022. The development of a web-based application to predict the risk of gastrointestinal cancer in iron deficiency anaemia; the IDIOM app. Digital, Special Edition of Intelligent Digital Health Interventions, 2 (1), 104-119.
- Brewin, M., Docherty, S., Heaslip, V., Breheny, K., Pleat, J., Rhodes, S., van Zuijlen, P.P.M. and Shah, M., 2022. Early Laser for Burn Scars (ELABS): protocol for a multi-centre randomised, controlled trial of both the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of the treatment of hypertrophic burn scars with Pulsed Dye Laser and standard care compared to standard care alone [version 1; peer review: 2 approved]. NIHR Open Res, 2, 1.
- Almilaji, O., Parry, S.D., Docherty, S. and Snook, J., 2022. Colorectal cancer and the blood loss paradox. Frontline Gastroenterol, 13 (5), 381-385.
- Almilaji, O., Webb, G., Maynard, A., Chapman, T.P., Shine, B.S.F., Ellis, A.J., Hebden, J., Docherty, S., Williams, E.J. and Snook, J., 2021. Broad external validation of a multivariable risk prediction model for gastrointestinal malignancy in iron deficiency anaemia. Diagn Progn Res, 5 (1), 23.
- Almilaji, O., Parry, S.D., Docherty, S. and Snook, J., 2021. Evidence for improved prognosis of colorectal cancer diagnosed following the detection of iron deficiency anaemia. Scientific Reports, 11 (1).
- Rix, J., Docherty, S., Breen, A.C., Sewell, P. and Branney, J., 2021. A public and patient consultation process as an aid to design a person-centred randomized clinical trial. Health Expectations, 24 (5), 1639-1648.
- Rix, J., Branney, J., Breen, A.C., Sewell, P. and Docherty, S., 2021. Stakeholder involvement in the development of trial material for a clinical trial. Health Expect, 24 (2), 399-410.
- Abdul Razzak, R., Bagust, J. and Docherty, S., 2020. Young and Older Adults Differ in Integration of Sensory Cues for Vertical Perception. J Aging Res, 2020, 8284504.
- Arjunan, A., Jeelani, M.S., Docherty, S. and Taylor, J., 2019. Chronic kidney disease referrals from general practitioners pre- And post National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guidance 2014. Clinical Medicine, Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of London, 19 (6), 490-493.
- Abdul Razzak, R., Mohamed, M.W., Alshaiji, A.F., Qareeballa, A.A., Bagust, J. and Docherty, S., 2018. Is spatial orientation affected by Ramadan fasting? Nutrition & Food Science, 49 (3), 464-475.
- Razzak, R.A., Alshaiji, A.F., Qareeballa, A.A., Mohamed, M.W., Bagust, J. and Docherty, S., 2018. High-normal blood glucose levels may be associated with decreased spatial perception in young healthy adults. PLOS ONE, 13 (6).
- Lam, S., Docherty, S. and Taylor, J.E., 2018. Addressing prescription discrepancies in renal patients: A prospective audit. Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, 48 (1), 16-19.
- Razzak, R.A., Bagust, J., Docherty, Hussein, W., Hassan, Z., Al-Kafaji, G. and Alotaibi, A.M., 2016. A preliminary study on whether HbA1c levels can predict visual dependence for spatial orientation in asymptomatic Type 2 diabetic patients. International Journal of Diabetes Research, 5 (3), 54-61.
- Bagust, J., Docherty, S. and Abdul Razzak, R., 2015. Re: "High variability of the subjective visual vertical test of vertical perception, in some people with neck pain - Should this be a standard measure of cervical proprioception?". Manual Therapy, 20 (6), e18.
- Razzak, R.A., Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Hussein, W. and Al-Otaibi, A., 2015. Augmented asymmetrical visual field dependence in asymptomatic diabetics: Evidence of subclinical asymmetrical bilateral vestibular dysfunction. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, 29 (1), 68-72.
- Abdul Razzak, R., Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Hasan, Z., Irshad, Y. and Rabiah, A., 2015. Menstrual phase influences gender differences in visual dependence: A study with a computerised Rod and Frame Test. Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 27 (1), 80-88.
- Razzal, R.A., Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Hasan, Z., Irshad, Y. and Rabiah, A., 2015. Corrigendum: Menstrual phase influences gender differences in visual dependence: A study with a computerised Rod and Frame Test (Journal of Cognitive Psychology (2014) doi: 10.1080/20445911.2014.976227). European Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 27 (1), i.
- Clark, C., Docherty, S., Osborne, N. and Khattab, A., 2014. A pilot study to compare passive lumbar spine re-positioning error in those with chronic low back pain with healthy volunteers. International Musculoskeletal Medicine, 36 (3), 104-110.
- Baldwin, M.W., Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Browman, A.S. and Jackson, J.C., 2014. The "rod and fran test": Relationship priming influences cognitive-perceptual performance. Journal of Social Psychology, 154 (5), 441-446.
- Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Haynes, W., Telford, R. and Isableu, B., 2013. Changes in Rod and Frame Test Scores Recorded in Schoolchildren during Development - A Longitudinal Study. PLoS ONE, 8 (5).
- Bagust, J., Docherty, S. and Razzak, R.A., 2013. Rod and frame alignment times increase when the frame is tilted. Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, 2, 66-72.
- Khattab, A., Docherty, S., Bagust, J., Willington, R., Thomas, P. and Amar, K., 2012. Subjective visual vertical perception and sense of smell in Parkinson disease. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 49 (6), 961-970.
- Docherty, S., Schärer, R., Bagust, J. and Humphreys, B.K., 2012. Perception of subjective visual vertical and horizontal in patients with chronic neck pain: A cross-sectional observational study. Manual Therapy, 17 (2), 133-138.
- Schmidt, J. and Docherty, S., 2010. Comparison of the posture of school children carrying backpacks versus pulling them on trolleys. Clinical Chiropractic, 13 (4), 253-260.
- Cunningham, L.K., Docherty, S. and Tyler, A.W., 2010. Prevalence of Low Back Pain (LBP) in Rotary Wing Aviation Pilots. AVIATION SPACE AND ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE, 81 (8), 774-778.
- Docherty, S. and Bagust, J., 2010. From line to dots: An improved computerised rod and frame system for testing subjective visual vertical and horizontal. BMC Research Notes, 3.
- Thiel, H.W., Bolton, J.E., Docherty, S. and Portlock, J.C., 2007. Safety of chiropractic manipulation of the cervical spine: A prospective national survey. Spine, 32 (21), 2375-2378.
- Witt, A.B.R., Docherty, S. and Palmer, W.A., 2005. Distribution and aspects of the biology of Chlamisus malvernensis Bryant (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) collected on Acacia nilotica (L.) Willd. ex Del. ssp. kraussiana (Benth.) Brenan (Mimosaceae) in South Africa. African Entomology, 13 (2), 376-379.
- Witt, A.B.R., McConnachie, A.J. and Docherty, S., 2004. Distribution and aspects of the biology and host range of Eurytoma sp. (Hymenoptera: Eurytomidae), a candidate agent for the biological control of Bryophyllum delagoense (Ecklon & Zeyher) Schinz (Crassulaceae) in Australia. African Entomology, 12 (2), 201-207.
- Docherty, S., Bishop, P.J. and Passmore, N.I., 2000. Consistency of calling performance in male hyperolius marmoratus marmoratus: Implications for male mating success. African Journal of Herpetology, 49 (1), 43-52.
- Osberg, D., Pinto, D., Docherty, S. and Still, C., 1998. Promoting high quality teaching and learning through sharing academic resources. South African Journal of Higher Education, 12, 141-148.
- Docherty, S., Bishop, P.J. and Passmore, N.I., 1995. Calling behavior and male condition in the frog Hyperolius marmoratus. JOURNAL OF HERPETOLOGY, 29 (4), 616-618.
- Almilaji, O., Docherty, S. and Snook, J., 2021. Modelling the episodes of care for IDA patients in a secondary-care centre using continuous-time multistate Markov chain. In: NCRI Festival: Making cancer research better together 8-12 November 2021 Virtual.
- Almilaji, O., Webb, G., Chapman, T.P., Williams, E.J., Shine, B.S.F., Ellis, A.J., Docherty, S. and Snook, J., 2020. Internal and External validation of the IDIOM score for predicting the risk of gastro-intestinal malignancy in iron deficiency anaemia. In: NCRI Cancer Conference 2-3 November 2020 online.
- Almilaji, O., Webb, G., Chapman, T.P., Williams, E.J., Shine, B.S.F., Ellis, A.J., Docherty, S. and Snook, J., 2020. External validation of the IDIOM score for predicting the risk of gastro-intestinal malignancy in iron deficiency anaemia. In: CRUK Early Detection of Cancer 6-8 October 2020 online.
- Tee, S., Scammell, J., Docherty, S., Collard, S. and Higgins, S., 2019. Support4Nurses: NHS Acute Hospital Trust and local University partnership to improve the retention of registered nurses. In: Networking for Education in Healthcare NET2019 3-5 September 2019 Keele University.
- Arjunan, A., Jeelani, M., Taylor, J. and Docherty, S., 2018. CKD GP referrals pre & post NICE CKD guidance 2014. In: 55th ERA-EDTA CONGRESS 24-27 May 2018 Copenhagen, Denmark. Nephrology, dialysis, transplantation : official publication of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association - European Renal Association OUP.
- Glithro, S., clark, C., Osborne,, N., Newell,, D. and Docherty, S., 2017. Tactile acuity, body schema and motor control and clinical outcome measures – A comparison study of adults with chronic low back pain and matched controls. In: British Pain Society - 50th Aniversary Annual Scientific Meeting 3-5 May 2017 Birmingham. The British Journal of Pain.
- Glithro, S., clark, C., Osborne,, N., Newell,, D. and Docherty, S., 2017. Tactile acuity, body schema and motor control impairment in adults with chronic low back pain – A systematic review and comparison of chronic low back pain and pain free subjects. In: Royal College of Chiropractors Winter conference 1 February 2017 London. Conference Proceedings.
- Glithro, S., Clark, C., Osborne,, N., Newell,, D. and Docherty, S., 2016. Tactile acuity, body schema and motor control impairment in adults with chronic low back pain – A systematic review and comparison of chronic low back pain and pain free subjects. In: International Association for the Study of Pain – 16th World Congress on Pain 26-30 September 2016 Yokohama, Japan. International Association for the Study of Pain.
- Glithro, S., Clark, C., Newell, D., Osborne, N. and Docherty, S., 2016. Tactile acuity, laterality discrimination and motor control impairment in adults with chronic low back pain - A review. In: British Pain Society 10-12 May 2016 Harrogate.
- KHATTAB, A., DOCHERTY, S., BAGUST, J., THOMAS, P., AMAR, K. and KHATTAB, A., 2014. Olfactory dysfunction and its link with subjective visual vertical (SVV) perception in Parkinson's disease. In: 2nd World Congress of Digital Olfaction Society 2014 8-9 December 2014 Tokyo, Japan. www.digital-olfaction.com, 30 Tokyo, Japan: Digital Olfaction Society, Tokyo Institute of Technology.
- Clark, C.J., Docherty, S., Osborne, N. and Khattab, A., 2014. A pilot study to compare passive lumbar spine re-positioning error in those with chronic low back pain with healthy volunteers. International Musculoskeletal Medicine, 36 (3), 104-110.
- Razzak, R.A., Hussein, W., Bagust, J. and Docherty, S., 2014. Increased visual dependence in diabetic patients on the computerized rod and frame test. In: XXVIII Bárány Society Meeting 25-28 May 2014 Buenos Aires, Argentina. Journal of Vestibular Research: Equilibrium and Orientation: an international journal of experimental and clinical vestibular science, 24, 86-87.
- Docherty, S. and Osborne, N., 2013. Towards Measuring the Spinal Manipulable Lesion: a pilot study of proposed functional outcomes in asymptomatic subjects. In: ECU Convention 9-11 May 2013 Sitges, Spain.
- Amar, K., Docherty, S., Bagust, J., Wellington, R. and Khattab, A., 2010. Measuring Perception Of Subjective Visual Vertical Using The Computerised Rod And Frame Test In Parkinson’s Disease Patients. In: 2nd World Parkinson Congress 28 September-1 October 2010 SECC, Glasgow, Scotland. 2nd World Parkinson Congress 2010, 43.
- Docherty, S., Bagust, J., Khattab, A.D. and Amar, K., 2009. An investigation into the perception of visual vertical and smell in patients diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. In: ECU 2009 Convention: Chiropractic, a vital science 20-23 May 2009 Alghero, Sardinia, Italy. , 221-222 Sardinia, Italy: ECU 2009 Convention Proceedings.
- Docherty, S., Bagust, J., Khattab, A. and Amar, K., 2009. Visual vertical and olfactory perception in Parkinson’s Disease. In: Neuroscience Conference 2009 October 2009 Chicago, IL. Society for Neuroscience 2009.
- Docherty, S., 1999. Calling, condition and energy intake in Hyperolius marmoratus marmoratus. In: XXVIth International Ethology Conference 2-9 August 1999 Bangalore, India. Advances in Ethology, 34, 42.
- Docherty, S., Passmore, N.I. and Bishop, P.J., 1995. Differential foraging behavior of calling and noncalling Hyperolius marmoratus. In: Animal Behavior Society 9-13 July 1995 Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Glithro, S., Clark, C., Osborne, N., Newell, D. and Docherty, S., 2016. Tactile acuity, laterality discrimination and motor control impairment in adults with chronic low back pain - A review. In: British Pain Society Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Thomas, P., Marques, E., Docherty, S. and Sangar, B., 2018. Statistical and Health Economics Analysis Plan: Ankle Recovery Trial (ART). not published. Unpublished.
- Sangar, B., Farrar, M., Thomas, P., Docherty, S., Allen, H., Marques, E., Hayward, C. and Martin, R., 2018. ART: Ankle Recovery Trial Protocol v 1.6. not published. Unpublished.
- Jacqueline Rix. Biomechanical Effects of Spinal Manipulation - a Feasibility Study
- Sara Glithro, 2019. Neuroplasticity and chronic low back pain: An investigation into altered tactile discrimination, body schema and motor function
- Orouba Almilaji, 2022. The Importance of Identifying Iron Deficiency Anaemia in the early Detection of Colorectal cancer, (Completed)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Advanced Research Methods
- Advanced Principles of Enquiry and Evidence Based Practice in Health and Social Care
- Systematic Review to Inform Clinical Practice
- Dissertation Project
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Methods 2
- A prospective randomised, controlled trial (RCT) to study the effectiveness and psychological impact of the early treatment of hypertrophic burn scars with Pulsed Dye Laser (PDL) (ELABS) (National Institute for Health and Care Research, 01 Jun 2021). In Progress
- A pragmatic multi-centred randomised controlled trial with economic evaluation, to compare a cycling and educational programme with usual physiotherapy care in the treatment of hip osteoarthritis: CycLing and EducaATion (CLEAT). (National Institute for Health Research, 01 Apr 2019). In Progress
- Match-Funded Studentship 2017: The importance of identifying iron deficiency anaemia in the early detection of colorectal cancer (Orouba Al Milaji) (Poole Hospital NHS Trust, 18 Sep 2017). Completed
- Improving Nurse Retention (Burdett Trust for Nursing, 01 Jun 2017). Completed
- Does early mobilisation after Ankle fracture surgery enhance Recovery? A pragmatic multi-centre randomised controlled Trial with qualitative component and health economic analysis comparing the use of plaster versus support boot (ART) (National Institute for Health Research, 01 Jan 2015). Completed
- HEE/NIHR Pre-doctoral Clinical and Practitioner Academic Fellowship, Selection Committee Member
- Academic Representative, Science, Technology and Health Research Ethics Panel
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Keeping Upright (05 Sep 2013-08 Sep 2013)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- PhD in Behavioural physiology (2000)
- BSc (Hons) in Zoology (1993)
- BSc in Biology and Mathematics (1991)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2018-),
- Physiological Society, Member,