Dr Sharon Docherty
- sdocherty at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) In Quantitative Methodology & Statistics, HSS
- R505a, Royal London House
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am the Senior Lecturer in Quantitative Research Methodology and Statistics within the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences as well as the Research Data Management Champion for the Faculty. My role involves the development and expansion of quantitative research and teaching within HSS. As well as contributing to the teaching and supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate level students, as a member of the Bournemouth University Clinical Research Unit, I work closely with academics across the Faculty and University to provide quantitative methodological support. In addition, I provide methodological and statistical advice to health professionals in the NHS.
With a background in Biology, my academic career has covered teaching Anatomy and Physiology (animal and human) as well as Research Methods to undergraduate students from a range of Biological and Health Science disciplines in South Africa and the UK. I have also supervised 22 undergraduate research projects to completion and I am currently supervising three PhD students...
I have a keen interest in Public Engagement in Research which has developed throughout my career. In this capacity, I have co-founded Café Scientifique Bournemouth and contributed to events such as BU Festival of Learning, and the Science Tent at Bestival music festival.more
Although my PhD was in the relationship between physiology and behavior in male frogs, for over 10 years I have carried out research projects related to human health. My main area of interest relates to how integration of information from visual, vestibular and proprioception systems (as measured by perception of vertical) is affected by clinical conditions such as Parkinson’s disease, diabetes and ageing. Above normal errors and high individual variability are possible indicators of neurological complications suggesting the test may be a useful screening tool in other conditions such as falls in older adults.
Other research studies have related to functional testing (e.g. balance, movement performance) related to musculoskeletal disorders. These have involved working closely with clinical colleagues to design, execute and analyse the results from the research projects.
I am currently a member of several interdisciplinary teams, including academics from Bournemouth University and NHS health professionals, funded by NIHR and the Burdett Trust for Nursing.
- Razzak, R.A., Alshaiji, A.F., Qareeballa, A.A., Mohamed, M.W., Bagust, J. and Docherty, S., 2018. High-normal blood glucose levels may be associated with decreased spatial perception in young healthy adults. PLOS ONE, 13 (6).
- Lam, S., Docherty, S. and Taylor, J.E., 2018. Addressing prescription discrepancies in renal patients: A prospective audit. Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, 48 (1), 16-19.
- Abdul Razzak, R., Mohamed, M.W., Alshaiji, A.F., Qareeballa, A.A., Bagust, J. and Docherty, S., 2018. Is spatial orientation affected by Ramadan fasting? Nutrition and Food Science.
- Razzak, R.A., Bagust, J., Docherty, Hussein, W., Hassan, Z., Al-Kafaji, G. and Alotaibi, A.M., 2016. A preliminary study on whether HbA1c levels can predict visual dependence for spatial orientation in asymptomatic Type 2 diabetic patients. International Journal of Diabetes Research, 5 (3), 54-61.
- Bagust, J., Docherty, S. and Abdul Razzak, R., 2015. Re: "High variability of the subjective visual vertical test of vertical perception, in some people with neck pain - Should this be a standard measure of cervical proprioception?". Manual Therapy, 20 (6), e18.
- Razzak, R.A., Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Hussein, W. and Al-Otaibi, A., 2015. Augmented asymmetrical visual field dependence in asymptomatic diabetics: Evidence of subclinical asymmetrical bilateral vestibular dysfunction. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, 29 (1), 68-72.
- Abdul Razzak, R., Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Hasan, Z., Irshad, Y. and Rabiah, A., 2015. Menstrual phase influences gender differences in visual dependence: A study with a computerised Rod and Frame Test. Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 27 (1), 80-88.
- Razzal, R.A., Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Hasan, Z., Irshad, Y. and Rabiah, A., 2015. Corrigendum: Menstrual phase influences gender differences in visual dependence: A study with a computerised Rod and Frame Test (Journal of Cognitive Psychology (2014) doi: 10.1080/20445911.2014.976227). European Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 27 (1), i.
- Clark, C., Docherty, S., Osborne, N. and Khattab, A., 2014. A pilot study to compare passive lumbar spine re-positioning error in those with chronic low back pain with healthy volunteers. International Musculoskeletal Medicine, 36 (3), 104-110.
- Baldwin, M.W., Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Browman, A.S. and Jackson, J.C., 2014. The "rod and fran test": Relationship priming influences cognitive-perceptual performance. Journal of Social Psychology, 154 (5), 441-446.
- Bagust, J., Docherty, S., Haynes, W., Telford, R. and Isableu, B., 2013. Changes in Rod and Frame Test Scores Recorded in Schoolchildren during Development - A Longitudinal Study. PLoS ONE, 8 (5).
- Bagust, J., Docherty, S. and Razzak, R.A., 2013. Rod and frame alignment times increase when the frame is tilted. Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, 2, 66-72.
- Khattab, A., Docherty, S., Bagust, J., Willington, R., Thomas, P. and Amar, K., 2012. Subjective visual vertical perception and sense of smell in Parkinson disease. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 49 (6), 961-970.
- Docherty, S., Schärer, R., Bagust, J. and Humphreys, B.K., 2012. Perception of subjective visual vertical and horizontal in patients with chronic neck pain: A cross-sectional observational study. Manual Therapy, 17 (2), 133-138.
- Schmidt, J. and Docherty, S., 2010. Comparison of the posture of school children carrying backpacks versus pulling them on trolleys. Clinical Chiropractic, 13 (4), 253-260.
- Cunningham, L.K., Docherty, S. and Tyler, A.W., 2010. Prevalence of Low Back Pain (LBP) in Rotary Wing Aviation Pilots. AVIATION SPACE AND ENVIRONMENTAL MEDICINE, 81 (8), 774-778.
- Docherty, S. and Bagust, J., 2010. From line to dots: An improved computerised rod and frame system for testing subjective visual vertical and horizontal. BMC Research Notes, 3.
- Thiel, H.W., Bolton, J.E., Docherty, S. and Portlock, J.C., 2007. Safety of chiropractic manipulation of the cervical spine: A prospective national survey. Spine, 32 (21), 2375-2378.
- Witt, A.B.R., Docherty, S. and Palmer, W.A., 2005. Distribution and aspects of the biology of Chlamisus malvernensis Bryant (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) collected on Acacia nilotica (L.) Willd. ex Del. ssp kraussiana (Benth.) Brenan (Mimosaceae) in South Africa. AFRICAN ENTOMOLOGY, 13 (2), 376-379.
- Witt, A.B.R., McConnachie, A.J. and Docherty, S., 2004. Distribution and aspects of the biology and host range of Eurytoma sp (Hymenoptera : Eurytomidae), a candidate agent for the biological control of Bryophyllum delagoense (Ecklon & Zeyher) Schinz (Crassulaceae) in Australia. AFRICAN ENTOMOLOGY, 12 (2), 201-207.
- Docherty, S., Bishop, P.J. and Passmore, N.I., 2000. Consistency of calling performance in male hyperolius marmoratus marmoratus: Implications for male mating success. African Journal of Herpetology, 49 (1), 43-52.
- Osberg, D., Pinto, D., Docherty, S. and Still, C., 1998. Promoting high quality teaching and learning through sharing academic resources. South African Journal of Higher Education, 12, 141-148.
- Docherty, S., Bishop, P.J. and Passmore, N.I., 1995. Calling behavior and male condition in the frog Hyperolius marmoratus. Journal of Herpetology, 29, 616-618.
- Arjunan, A., Jeelani, M., Taylor, J. and Docherty, S., 2018. CKD GP referrals pre & post NICE CKD guidance 2014. In: 55th ERA-EDTA CONGRESS 24-27 May 2018 Copenhagen, Denmark. OUP, i438.
- Glithro, S., clark, C., Osborne,, N., Newell,, D. and Docherty, S., 2017. Tactile acuity, body schema and motor control and clinical outcome measures – A comparison study of adults with chronic low back pain and matched controls. In: British Pain Society - 50th Aniversary Annual Scientific Meeting 3-5 May 2017 Birmingham.
- Glithro, S., clark, C., Osborne,, N., Newell,, D. and Docherty, S., 2017. Tactile acuity, body schema and motor control impairment in adults with chronic low back pain – A systematic review and comparison of chronic low back pain and pain free subjects. In: Royal College of Chiropractors Winter conference 1 February 2017 London.
- Glithro, S., Clark, C., Osborne,, N., Newell,, D. and Docherty, S., 2016. Tactile acuity, body schema and motor control impairment in adults with chronic low back pain – A systematic review and comparison of chronic low back pain and pain free subjects. In: International Association for the Study of Pain – 16th World Congress on Pain 26-30 September 2016 Yokohama, Japan.
- Glithro, S., Clark, C., Newell, D., Osborne, N. and Docherty, S., 2016. Tactile acuity, laterality discrimination and motor control impairment in adults with chronic low back pain - A review. In: British Pain Society 10-12 May 2016 Harrogate.
- KHATTAB, A., DOCHERTY, S., BAGUST, J., THOMAS, P. and AMAR, K., 2014. Olfactory dysfunction and its link with subjective visual vertical (SVV) perception in Parkinson's disease. In: 2nd World Congress of Digital Olfaction Society 2014 8-9 December 2014 Tokyo, Japan. Tokyo, Japan: Digital Olfaction Society, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 30.
- Clark, C.J., Docherty, S., Osborne, N. and Khattab, A., 2014. A pilot study to compare passive lumbar spine re-positioning error in those with chronic low back pain with healthy volunteers. 104-110.
- Razzak, R.A., Hussein, W., Bagust, J. and Docherty, S., 2014. Increased visual dependence in diabetic patients on the computerized rod and frame test. In: XXVIII Bárány Society Meeting 25-28 May 2014 Buenos Aires, Argentina. 86-87.
- Docherty, S. and Osborne, N., 2013. Towards Measuring the Spinal Manipulable Lesion: a pilot study of proposed functional outcomes in asymptomatic subjects. In: ECU Convention 9-11 May 2013 Sitges, Spain.
- Amar, K., Docherty, S., Bagust, J., Wellington, R. and Khattab, A., 2010. Measuring Perception Of Subjective Visual Vertical Using The Computerised Rod And Frame Test In Parkinson’s Disease Patients. In: 2nd World Parkinson Congress 28 September-1 October 2010 SECC, Glasgow, Scotland. 43.
- Docherty, S., Bagust, J., Khattab, A.D. and Amar, K., 2009. An investigation into the perception of visual vertical and smell in patients diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. In: ECU 2009 Convention: Chiropractic, a vital science 20-23 May 2009 Alghero, Sardinia, Italy. Sardinia, Italy: ECU 2009 Convention Proceedings, 221-222.
- Docherty, S., Bagust, J., Khattab, A. and Amar, K., 2009. Visual vertical and olfactory perception in Parkinson’s Disease. In: Neuroscience Conference 2009 October 2009 Chicago, IL.
- Docherty, S., 1999. Calling, condition and energy intake in Hyperolius marmoratus marmoratus. In: XXVIth International Ethology Conference 2-9 August 1999 Bangalore, India. 42.
- Docherty, S., Passmore, N.I. and Bishop, P.J., 1995. Differential foraging behavior of calling and noncalling Hyperolius marmoratus. In: Animal Behavior Society 9-13 July 1995 Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Jacqueline Rix. Biomechanical Effects of Spinal Manipulation - a Feasibility Study
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Science Futures at Winchester Science Centre
- Bestival Science Tent
- BU Festival of Learning: Keeping Upright (interactive exhibition)
- Co-founder Cafe Scientifique Bournemouth
- PhD in Behavioural physiology (2000)
- BSc (Hons) in Zoology (1993)
- BSc in Biology and Mathematics (1991)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2018-),