Dr Charlie Hargood
- 01202 962390
- chargood at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Games Technology
- Poole House P229, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Charlie Hargood is a senior lecturer at Bournemouth University in the department of Creative Technology. He is an internationally recognised research leader in narrative systems, and a regular contributor to ACM Hypertext and Social Media where he has twice won the SIGWeb Englebart prize for models of location aware narrative, is organiser for the Narrative and Hypertext Workshop, and regularly serves on the programme committee. He has contributed to numerous research projects, and was technical lead for both the Leverhulme funded StoryPlaces project investigating interactive location aware stories, and the EPSRC funded UBhave project exploring mobile behavioral interventions. He has lead and contributed to the development of significant applications that remain widely used within research, and has published in a range of internationally recognised conferences and journals.
My research interests include: Narrative Systems, Hypertext and Hypermedia, Digital Storytelling, Location Aware Storytelling, Ubiquitous Computing, mHealth, Game Design
- Morrison, L.G., Hargood, C. et al., 2017. The effect of timing and frequency of push notifications on usage of a smartphone-based stress management intervention: An exploratory trial. PLoS ONE, 12 (1).
- Lin, S.X., Morrison, L., Smith, P.W.F., Hargood, C., Weal, M. and Yardley, L., 2016. Properties of bootstrap tests for N-of-1 studies. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 69 (3), 276-290.
- Morrison, L., Arden-Close, E., Bradbury, K., Smith, E., Michaelides, D., Hargood, C., Weal, M., Little, P. and Yardley, L., 2015. How does usage of a weight-management intervention vary by context? The story of POWeR. European Health Psychologist, 17 (S).
- Morrison, L.G., Hargood, C. et al., 2014. Understanding usage of a hybrid website and smartphone app for weight management: A mixed-methods study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16 (10), e201.
- Millard, D.E., Borthwick, K., Howard, Y., McSweeney, P. and Hargood, C., 2013. The HumBox: Changing educational practice around a learning resource repository. Computers and Education, 69, 287-302.
- Hargood, C., Millard, D.E. and Weal, M.J., 2010. Capturing the semiotic relationship between terms. New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia, 16 (1-2), 71-84.
- Millard, D., Hargood, C., Howard, Y. and Packer, H., 2017. The StoryPlaces Authoring Tool: Pattern Centric Authoring. In: Authoring for Interactive Storytelling 2017 14 November 2017 Funchal, Madeira.
- Lynch, S., Hargood, C. and Charles, F., 2017. Textual Authoring for Interactive Narrative. In: Authoring for Interactive Storytelling 2017 14 November 2017 Funchal, Madeira.
- Packer, H., Hargood, C., Howard, Y., Papadopoulos, P. and Millard, D., 2017. Developing a Writer's Toolkit for Interactive Locative Storytelling. In: International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling 2017 14-17 November 2017 Madeira.
- Millard, D., Hargood, C., Howard, Y. and Hunt, V., 2017. Snowflakes in Scotland: The Role of Personal Reflection in Exploring Digital Poetics and Locative Stories. In: MIX 2017 Writing Digital 10-12 July 2017 Bath.
- Millard, D.E. and Hargood, C., 2017. Tiree tales: A co-operative inquiry into the poetics of location-based narratives. 15-24.
- Hargood, C., Hicks, B., Charles, F., Lynch, S. and Tang, W., 2017. Snow White is Missing: An Interactive Locative Story For Dementia Patients. In: Edutainment 2017 26-28 June 2017 Bournemouth. Springer.
- Hargood, C., Artis, B. and Stevens, C., 2017. What's the story? A proposed approach for the evaluation of experimental interactive narrative.
- Hargood, C., Hunt, V., Weal, M.J. and Millard, D.E., 2016. Patterns of sculptural hypertext in location based narratives. 61-70.
- Millard, D.E. and Hargood, C., 2015. A research framework for engineering location-based poetics. 13-16.
- Millard, D.E., Hargood, C., Jewell, M.O. and Weal, M.J., 2013. Canyons, deltas and plains: Towards a unified sculptural model of location-based hypertext. 109-118.
- Hargood, C., Michaelides, D., Weal, M., Morrison, L. and Yardley, L., 2012. Digital interventions on and off mobile devices. In: Digital Futures 2012 October 2012 Aberdeen.
- Weal, M., Hargood, C., Michaelides, D., Morrison, L. and Yardley, L., 2012. Making online behavioural interventions mobile. In: Digital Research 2012 September 2012 Oxford.
- Hargood, C., Millard, D.E., Taylor, M.R., Davies, R. and Brooker, S., 2012. Exploring (the poetics of) strange (and fractal) hypertexts. 181-185.
- Hargood, C., Jewell, M.O. and Millard, D.E., 2012. The narrative braid: A model for tackling the narrative paradox in adaptive documentaries. 13-17.
- Millard, D., Hargood, C., Weal, M., Warren, L. and Harris, L., 2011. Social Media and Emergent Organizational Narratives. In: Narrative and Hypertext 2011 June 2011 Eindhoven.
- Hargood, C., Millard, D. and Weal, M., 2011. Measuring Narrative Cohesion: A Five Variables Approach. In: Narrative and Hypertext 2011 June 2011 Eindhoven.
- McSweeney, P., Prince, R., Hargood, C., Millard, D. and Carr, L., 2011. Aggregated Erevnametrics: bringing together alt-metrics through Research Objects. In: Alt Metrics Workshop 2011 June 2011 Koblenz.
- McSweeney, P., Borthwick, K., Hargood, C., Millard, D. and Howard, Y., 2011. The Mechanisms and Impact of Encouraging Community Engagement in Teaching Repositories. In: Open Repositories 2011 February 2011 Austen.
- Hargood, C., Millard, D.E. and Weal, M.J., 2010. A semiotic approach for the generation of themed photo narratives. 19-28.
- Hargood, C., Millard, D.E. and Weal, M.J., 2009. Investigating a thematic approach to narrative generation. 49-60.
- Hargood, C., Millard, D.E. and Weal, M.J., 2009. Using a thematic model to enrich photo montages. 135-139.
- Hargood, C., Millard, D.E. and Weal, M.J., 2008. A thematic approach to emerging narrative structure. 41-45.
- Hargood, C., 2011. Semiotic term expansion as the basis for thematic models in narrative systems. PhD Thesis. University of Southampton, ECS.
- Millard, D. and Hargood, C., 2016. Location Location Location: Experiences of Authoring an Interactive Location-Based Narrative. In: International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling 2016.
- Hargood, C., Pejovic, V., Morrison, L., Michaelides, D., Musolesi, M., Yardley, L. and Weal, M., 2014. The UBhave Framework: Dynamic Pervasive Applications for Behavioural Psychology. In: Mobiquitous 2014.
- Hargood, C., Millard, D. and Weal, M., 2011. The Thematic Illustrator: An Automatic Illustrative Approach to Enhancing Narrative Cohesion. In: ACM Hypertext 2011.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Modelling and Game Design
- Invited to give a talk as part of the Web And Internet Science research seminar series on Location Aware Narratives: Strange Hypertexts, Sculptural Stories, and Digital Poetics
- Story places: exploring the poetics of locationbased narratives (Leverhulme Trust, 01 Jul 2015). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Games and Narrative taster lesson and opportunities for games study at BU talk
- Webinar for potential students to Games programs in Creative Technology
- MEng in Computer Science (University of Southampton, 2006)
- PhD in Computer Science (University of Southampton, 2011)
- ACM Hypertext and Social Media Douglas Engelbart Award for Best Paper For “Patterns of sculptural hypertext in location based narratives” (ACM SIGWEB, 2016)
- ACM Hypertext and Social Media Douglas Engelbart Award for Best Paper For “Canyons, Deltas and Plains: Towards a Unified Sculptural Model of Location-Based Hypertext” (ACM SIGWEB, 2013)
- 2nd Place ACM Hypertext Student Research Competition (ACM SIGWEB, 2008)
- ACM SIGWEB, Member (2013-),
- HEA, Fellow (2017-),