Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Tom Davis is a lecturer in Music and Audio Technology and is the Pathway Co-ordinator for the Music Technology degrees. In addition to PhD supervision he teaches on the BSc and Masters programmes. Davis is also a practicing artist working mainly in the realm of sound installation and live performance. Davis has exhibited and performed throughout Europe and in the United States and holds a PhD from the Sonic Arts Research Centre, Belfast.
Sonic Art; Algorithmic Composition (especially Complexity and Alife approaches); Instrument building; Technologically mediated Improvisation; Enaction, Embodiment and Participation in Music as Practice and situations that examine the interface between music and technology.
- Davis, T., 2012. Complexity as Practice: A Reflection on the Creative Outcomes of a Sustained Engagement with Complexity. Leonardo, 45 (2), 106-112.
- Davis, T., 2011. Towards a Relational Understanding of the Performance Ecosystem. Organised Sound, 16, 120-124.
- Davis, T., 2010. On Listening to Installation. Performance Research: A Journal of the Performing Arts, 15, 66-71.
- Davis, T. and Ward, N., 2010. Ordnance Survey: Exploring Activity through Large Scale Topologies and Auditory Mappings. Parsons Journal for Information Mapping, 2.
- Davis, T., 2010. The Ear of the Beholder: Ecology, Embodiment and Complexity in Sound Installation. Leonardo Electronic Almanac.
- Davis, T., 2010. Complexity as Process: Complexity Inspired Approaches to Composition. Organised Sound, 15 (2), 137-146.
- Hammersley, J., O'Reilly, S. and Renaud, A., 2012. LIVENESS. EMERGE -Experimental Media Research Imprint.
- Davis, T., 2016. Resitive Intentionality: Examining the instrumental interface. In: Sonorities Symposium 2016 26 November 2016 Queen's University Belfast.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P., 2016. Ambiguous Devices: Improvisation, agency, dialogue and touch in technologically-mediated performance. In: Interagency In Technologically Mediated Performance 29-30 January 2016 Bournemouth University.
- Davis, T., 2015. An exploration of technological agency in improvisational contexts. In: DMRN+10: Digital Music Research Network One-day Workshop 2015 22 December 2015 Queen Mary University of London.
- Davis, T., Geistweidt, J., Renaud, A. and Dixon, J., 2012. Interfacing the Network: An Embedded Approach to Network Instrument Creation. In: International Computer Music Conference, ICMC 2012 9-14 September 2012 Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Davis, T., 2012. The Loop: A distributed instrument approach to networked performance. In: Symposium for Performance of Electronic and Experimental Music 6-7 January 2012 University of Oxford.
- Davis, T., 2008. Cross-Pollination: Towards an aesthetics of the real. In: ICMC 2008. International Computer Music Conference 24-29 August 2008 Sonic Arts Research Centre, Queens University, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Davis, T. and Karamanlis, O., 2007. Gestural control of sonic swarms: Composing with grouped sound objects. In: 4th Sound and Music Computing Conference 11-13 July 2007 Lefkada, Greece.
- Davis, T. and Rebelo, P., 2007. Environments for sonic ecologies. In: Evoworkshops Valencia. Springer-Verlag, 508-516.
- Davis, T. and Rebelo, P., 2005. Natural Selection: A Stethoscopic Amphibious Installation. In: GA2005: Generative Art Conference 15-17 December 2005 Milan, Italy.
- Davis, T. and Rebelo, P., 2005. Hearing Emergence: Towards Sound-Based Self-Organisation. In: Proceedings of ICMC2005: International Computer Music Conference September 2005 Barcelona, Spain.
- Davis, T. and McKinney, C., 2012. Flow. Sound Installation. Tiny Tate. Tate Britain.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P., 2012. Ambiguous Devices. Installation. New Interfaces for Musical Expression. NIME 2012. Ann Arbor, Michigan & Bournemouth University, England. 21-23 May 2012.
- Davis, T., 2011. Working Title. Mixed Media. Working Title. Aspex Contemporary Art Gallery. Portsmouth. 5-18 September 2011.
- Davis, T., Renaud, A. and McKinney, C., 2010. Flow. Mixed. Public Domain. Bournemouth Lower Gardens. 16-18 July 2010.
- Davis, T. and Ward, N., 2009. Ordnance Survey. Mixed. Hilltown New Music Festival. Hilltown, County Westmeath, Ireland. 18-19 July 2009.
- Davis, T., 2009. Bus Stop. Mixed. Oxford Contemporary. OVADA, Oxford. 7 February-21 March 2009.
- Davis, T., 2008. Rules and Regs. Mixed. Rules and Regs. Aspace gallery, Southampton. 1 May-2 June 2008.
- Davis, T., 2007. Cross-Pollination. Mixed. FIX'07 International Performance Festival. Catalyst Arts, Belfast. 26-29 November 2007.
- Davis, T. and O'Modhrain, S., 2007. Radio Streams. Mixed. Enaction in Arts. Enaction in Arts, Fort de la Bastille, Grenoble. 19-24 November 2007.
- Davis, T., 2006. Cycle Sonic. Bring the Noise. Catalyst Arts, Belfast. 16-29 October 2006.
- Davis, T., 2006. Excuse Me!. International Conference on Auditory Display. ICAD, Queen Mary University, London. 20-23 June 2006.
- Davis, T., 2005. Natural Selection. Musica Viva. Musica Viva, Lisbon, Portugal. 17-24 September 2005.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P.. Ambiguous Devices. Performance. NIME 2012, Ann Arbor, Michigan and Bournemouth University. 21-23 May 2012.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P.. Ambiguous Devices. Stanford USA & Bournemouth UK. 27 April 2012.
- Davis, T., Troisi, A., Seddon, A., Canning, R., Thompson, B., Chiaramonte, A. and Borgo, D.. NonRecursive @ Symposium on Interagency in Technologically-Mediated Performance. Performance. Bournemouth University. 29 January 2016.
- Davis, T., Troisi, A., Seddon, A., Thompson, B., Canning, R. and Chiaramonte, A.. NonRecursive. Performance. Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe: The Engine Room. 15 October 2015.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P.. Ambiguous Devices. Performance. Re-New 2013, Copenhagen. 28 October-3 November 2013.
- Davis, T. and Stapleton, P.. Ambiguous Devices. Performance. INTIME, Coventry University. 19-20 October 2013.
- Davis, T., Geistweidt, J., Renaud, A. and Dixon, J.. The Loop. NIME 2011, Oslo, Norway. 30 May-1 June 2011.
- Davis, T., Geistweidt, J., Renaud, A. and Dixon, J.. The Loop. arts.on.wires, Oslo, Norway. 25-29 May 2011.
- Davis, T., Geistweit, J., Renaud, A.R. and Dixon, J.. The Loop. Network Music Festival, Birmingham. 27-29 January 2012.
- Liam Birtles
- Asha Ward
- Katy Connor
- PGCert in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- BSc (Hons) in Physics with Music (University of Edinburgh, 2001)
- MA in Communication Media: Creative Sound Production (University of the West of England, 2004)
- PhD in Sonic Art (Queen's University Belfast, 2008)