Dr Clive Hunt
- 01202 965609
- chunt at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Dean Student Experience
- Poole House P311, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Clive is an Associate Professor and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. As a Chartered Engineer (CEng), his academic career has been grounded by his industrial and commercial experience in the aerospace industry which he gained at Rolls-Royce plc, as well as from other industrial sectors, in delivering projects and programmes and integrating engineering expertise.
He remains actively involved with industry by providing expertise through enterprise activities such as Knowledge Transfer Partnerships.
As an experienced mechanical engineer, with a management education, his teaching focus includes final year engineering and design projects, design management, product marketing and organisational strategy. He is a unit leader for four units and teaches on the BA, BSc, BEng/MEng, MA and MSc engineering/design programmes.
Clive’s research mainly focuses on higher education, and he is particularly interested in the student experience and understanding how student groups engage with learning... His research also examines how strategy is implemented in historically dependent settings. In these different contexts, he has pursued an understanding of the challenges of teaching large groups of students having diverse demographics. In his research on innovation and change in institutions he has added to a body of literature that uniquely combines the use of 'new' institutionalism and Cultural-Historical Activity Theory (CHAT) to explain change from the perspective of the organisation as well as the individual institutional actors. His research on widening participation (WP) to HE is becoming increasingly important not just in the UK but across the world. In the UK, in particular, WP is a strategic priorty for its governments and the HE sector in general.
Clive gained his doctorate from the University of Bristol, UK.more
- Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M., Collins, B., Crowley, E., Eccles, S., Hunt, C., Tooth, R. and Wardrop, A., 2020. Situating the evidence for impact of outreach strategies: A systematic review for improving access to higher education. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning.
- Collins, B., Hunt, C., Wardrop, A., Gauntlett, E., Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M. and Pritchard, C., 2018. Asking the right questions: Opportunities and challenges of survey methods in widening participation research. International Studies in Widening Participation, 5 (2).
- Eccles, S., Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M. and Hunt, C., 2018. Risk and Stigma: Students’ Perceptions and Disclosure of ‘Disability’ in Higher Education. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning.
- Hunt, C., Collins, B., Wardrop, A., Hutchings, M., Heaslip, V. and Pritchard, C., 2018. First- and second-generation design and engineering students: experience, attainment and factors influencing them to attend university. Higher Education Research and Development, 37 (1), 30-43.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2017. An exploration of progression rates of widening participation students on to an Integrated Master of Engineering. International Journal of Higher Education, 6 (4).
- Eccles, S., Wardrop, A., hutchings, M., collins, B., heaslip, V., hunt, C. and pritchard, C., 2016. Troubling ideas for widening participation: how higher education institutions in England engage with research in their access agreements. Journal of Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning.
- Hunt, C., 2014. ‘Teachers’ to ‘academics’: the implementation of a modernisation project at one UK post-92 university. Studies in Higher Education.
- Hunt, C., 2012. Learning in large learning spaces:the academic engagement of a diverse group of students. Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 17, 195-205.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2010. Developing enterprise opportunities from placements to graduate consultancy in lean sustainable design. In: Baggerud, B., Boks, C., Clarke, A., Hogarth, P., Ion, B. and McMahon, C., eds. Proceedings of 12th Engineering and Product Design Education International Conference. Trondheim, Norway: Norwegian University of Science & Technology.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2010. Developing enterprise opportunities from placements to graduate consultancy in lean sustainable design. When Design Education and Design Research Meet: Proceedings of EPDE10…. The Design Society.
- Hunt, C. and Reynolds, T., 2009. The Significance of Purchasing Behavioural Characterisation on Sustainable Design Education of Students. In: McMahon, C., Hogarth, P. and Ion, B., eds. Creating a Better World -Proceedings of the 11th Engineering and Product Design Education Conference, University of Brighton, 10th-11th September 2009. Design Society/ Institution of Engineering Designers, 402-408.
- Humphries-Smith, T., White, M. and Hunt, C., 2019. Unpicking the barriers to diversity in engineering apprenticeships. Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Towards a New Innovation Landscape, E and PDE 2019.
- Timmis, S., Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M., Hunt, C., Mazzoli Smith, L., Laing, K. and Leat, D., 2017. Whose life is it anyway? The role of digitally mediated life story and narrative in democratizing the discourses and practices of widening participation. In: BERA (British Educational Research Association) Annual Conference 5-7 September 2017 Brighton.
- Humphries-Smith, T., White, M. and Hunt, C., 2017. Engineering design, apprenticeships & diversity. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Building Community: Design Education for a Sustainable Future, E and PDE 2017, 236-241.
- Humphries-Smth, T. and Hunt, C., 2015. An investigation of what feedback students recognise as feedback. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Great Expectations: Design Teaching, Research and Enterprise, E and PDE 2015, 252-257.
- Humphries-Smith, T., Hunt, C., Dowlen, C. and Vaitkevicius, S., 2011. Industrial Briefs for Student Projects - A Company Perspective. In: Kovacevic, A., Ion, W., McMahon, C., Buck, L. and Hogarth, P., eds. E&PDE2011 8-9 September 2011 London. , 23-28 The Design Society/Institution of Engineering Designers.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2010. Developing enterprise opportunities from placements to graduate consultancy in lean sustainable design. In: Baggerud, B., Boks, C., Clarke, A., Hogarth, P., Ion, B. and McMahon, C., eds. E&PDE2010 2-3 September 2010 Norway. , 340-345 Trondheim, Norway: Norwegian University of Science & Technology.
- Reynolds, T. and Hunt, C., 2009. The Significance of Purchasing Behavioural Characterisation on Sustainable Design Education of Students. In: Hogarth, P., McMahon, C. and Ion, B., eds. 11th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education 10-11 September 2009 Brighton, UK. In Creating a Better World -Proceedings of the 11th Engineering and Product Design Education Conference, 402-408 Brighton: Design Society/ Institution of Engineering Designers.
- Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M., Crowley, E., Tooth, R., Wardrop, A., Eccles, S., Hunt, C. and Collins, B., 2017. Systematic Reviews: making sense of research. Bournemouth University.
- Hunt, C. and Wardrop, A., 2016. Supporting early career researchers in knowledge exchange: widening participation. Bournemouth University.
- Hunt, C., Reynolds, T. and Stock, N., 2011. Electronic Technicians Limited. UK: TSB.
- Hunt, C., Polkinghorne, M. and Tabeshfar, K., 2009. Redmayne Engineering Ltd. UK: TSB.
- Michael Mayer. Supply chain risk management for Small to Medium-Sized Enterprises through application of software-supported methods
- Abdelrahim Alzanati. Re-Thinking a Project Management System
- Abdalla Mazen, 2021. The causes of delays and cost overruns in Contruction projects in Libya
Profile of Teaching PG
- MA/MSc Design Management full-time (level 7)
- MEng Design Management flexible learning (level 7)
- MA/MSc Individual Masters Projects (level 7)
Profile of Teaching UG
- BEng/MEng Business Development flexible learning (level 6)
- BA/BSc Business Development full-time (level 6)
- BEng final project flexible learning (level 6)
- BSc Design Engineering final project (level 6)
- Understanding the reasons for, and barriers to, a career choice of technical apprenticeships (SUNet, 31 Oct 2018). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- ESRC Festival of Social Science (07 Nov 2016)
- EdD(Bristol) in Learning, Leadership and Policy (University of Bristol, 2013)
- MBA (AMBA accredited) in Business Administration (Bristol Business School, 1997)
- DMS in Management Studies (Bristol Business School, 1986)
- BSc (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering (1985)