Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Clive Hunt is a Principal Academic and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. As a Chartered Engineer (CEng), his academic career has been grounded by his industrial and commercial experience in the aerospace industry which he gained at Rolls-Royce plc, as well as from other industrial sectors in delivering projects and programmes and integrating engineering expertise.
He remains actively involved with industry by providing expertise through enterprise activities such as Knowledge Transfer Partnerships.
As an experienced professional engineer with a management education, his teaching focus includes final year engineering and design projects, design management, product marketing and organisational strategy. He teaches on the BA, BSc, BEng/MEng, MA and MSc engineering/design programmes.
Clive’s research focus sits within Bournemouth University’s Centre for Excellence in Learning as well as the Sustainable Design Research Centre – a research centre located within a STEM field related area... His research mainly focuses on higher education and he is particularly interested in understanding how student groups engage with learning as well as how strategy is implemented in historically dependent settings. In these different contexts, he has more recently pursued an understanding of the challenges of teaching large groups of students having diverse demographics. In his research on innovation and change in institutions he has added to a body of literature that uniquely combines the use of 'new' institutionalism and Cultural-Historical Activity Theory to explain change from the perspective of the organisation and the individual institutional actors. He is currently involved in wide-scale institutional research project that is considering the undergraduate student experience.
He gained his doctorate from the University of Bristol, UK.more
- Hunt, C., Collins, B., Wardrop, A., Hutchings, M., Heaslip, V. and Pritchard, C., 2018. First- and second-generation design and engineering students: experience, attainment and factors influencing them to attend university. HIGHER EDUCATION RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT, 37 (1), 30-43.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2017. An exploration of progression rates of widening participation students on to an Integrated Master of Engineering. International Journal of Higher Education, 6 (4).
- Wardrop, A., Hutchings, M., Collins, B., Eccles, S., Heaslip, V., Hunt, C. and Pritchard, C., 2016. Troubling ideas for widening participation: how higher education institutions in England engage with research in their access agreements. Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning.
- Hunt, C., 2014. ‘Teachers’ to ‘academics’: the implementation of a modernisation project at one UK post-92 university. Studies in Higher Education.
- Hunt, C., 2012. Learning in large learning spaces:the academic engagement of a diverse group of students. Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 17, 195-205.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2010. Developing enterprise opportunities from placements to graduate consultancy in lean sustainable design. In: Baggerud, B., Boks, C., Clarke, A., Hogarth, P., Ion, B. and McMahon, C., eds. Proceedings of 12th Engineering and Product Design Education International Conference. Trondheim, Norway: Norwegian University of Science & Technology.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2010. Developing enterprise opportunities from placements to graduate consultancy in lean sustainable design. When Design Education and Design Research Meet: Proceedings of EPDE10…. The Design Society.
- Hunt, C. and Reynolds, T., 2009. The Significance of Purchasing Behavioural Characterisation on Sustainable Design Education of Students. In: McMahon, C., Hogarth, P. and Ion, B., eds. Creating a Better World -Proceedings of the 11th Engineering and Product Design Education Conference, University of Brighton, 10th-11th September 2009. Design Society/ Institution of Engineering Designers, 402-408.
- Timmis, S., Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M., Hunt, C., Mazzoli Smith, L., Laing, K. and Leat, D., 2017. Whose life is it anyway? The role of digitally mediated life story and narrative in democratizing the discourses and practices of widening participation. In: BERA (British Educational Research Association) Annual Conference 5-7 September 2017 Brighton.
- Humphries-Smith, T., White, M. and Hunt, C., 2017. Engineering design, apprenticeships & diversity. 236-241.
- Humphries-Smth, T. and Hunt, C., 2015. An investigation of what feedback students recognise as feedback. 252-257.
- Humphries-Smith, T., Hunt, C., Dowlen, C. and Vaitkevicius, S., 2011. Industrial Briefs for Student Projects - A Company Perspective. In: Kovacevic, A., Ion, W., McMahon, C., Buck, L. and Hogarth, P., eds. E&PDE2011 8-9 September 2011 London. The Design Society/Institution of Engineering Designers, 23-28.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2010. Developing enterprise opportunities from placements to graduate consultancy in lean sustainable design. In: Baggerud, B., Boks, C., Clarke, A., Hogarth, P., Ion, B. and McMahon, C., eds. E&PDE2010 2-3 September 2010 Norway. Trondheim, Norway: Norwegian University of Science & Technology, 340-345.
- Heaslip, V., Hutchings, M., Crowley, E., Tooth, R., Wardrop, A., Eccles, S., Hunt, C. and Collins, B., 2017. Systematic Reviews: making sense of research. Bournemouth University.
- Hunt, C. and Wardrop, A., 2016. Supporting early career researchers in knowledge exchange: widening participation. Bournemouth University.
- Hunt, C., Reynolds, T. and Stock, N., 2011. Electronic Technicians Limited. UK: TSB.
- Hunt, C., Polkinghorne, M. and Tabeshfar, K., 2009. Redmayne Engineering Ltd. UK: TSB.
- Abdelrahim Alzanati. Re-Thinking a Project Management System
- Michael Mayer. Supply chain risk management for Small to Medium-Sized Enterprises through application of software-supported methods
Profile of Teaching PG
- MA/MSc Individual Masters Projects (level 7)
- MEng Design Management flexible learning (level 7)
- MA/MSc Design Management full-time (level 7)
Profile of Teaching UG
- BSc Design Engineering final project (level 6)
- BEng final project flexible learning (level 6)
- BA/BSc Business Development full-time (level 6)
- BEng/MEng Business Development flexible learning (level 6)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- My voice, my story: the lived experience of being a non-traditional student at university. This workshop enables audience immersion in multimedia stories co-created by students using novel social participatory research to elict lived experiences of being a non-traditional student at university by engaging in telling/re-telling of stories (Jones, 2015). We focus on students from non-traditional backgrounds because research shows how the lived experiences of these students are often marginalised by institutions (Hunt et al., forthcoming; Thomas, 2012). Photovoice is seen to be effective in capturing stories and sharing the lives of non-traditional students (Warne et al., 2012; Minthorn and Marsh, 2016).
- EdD(Bristol) in Learning, Leadership and Policy (University of Bristol, 2013)
- BSc (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering (1985)
- DMS in Management Studies (Bristol Business School, 1986)
- MBA (AMBA accredited) in Business Administration (Bristol Business School, 1997)