Dr Tania Humphries-Smith
- 01202 961402
- thumphries at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Associate Professor of Design & Engineering
- Poole House P311, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Tania Humphries-Smith is Associate Professor in the Department of Design & Engineering in the Faculty of Science & Technology at Bournemouth University. Her teaching areas are engineering product design and project management. She was in professional practice as a product designer before entering academia. She is a Member and Chair of Council of the Institution of Engineering Designers, a Chartered Engineer, Chartered Technological Product Designer and Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. Her research activities are centred on Design Education and include aspects of sustainable product design, specifically the socio-cultural aspects of sustainable design. She has published in the area of design education since 1998.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2017. An exploration of progression rates of widening participation students on to an Integrated Master of Engineering. International Journal of Higher Education, 6 (4).
- Nassef, I., Humphries-Smith, T. and Keenan, C., 2015. Improving graduate attributes within the Egyptian university sector. Higher Education.
- Humphries, T. and Eves, B., 2015. The concept of privacy from a female perspective and its influence on the spatial design decisions of contemporary Saudi houses. Journal of Interior Design.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Glasspool, C., 2012. Final year induction - Re-motivation and re-engagement. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Design Education for Future Wellbeing, EPDE 2012, 281-286.
- Romouzy-Ali, A., Noroozi, S., Sewell, P. and Humphries-Smith, T., 2012. Adopting rapid prototyping technology within Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: The differences between reality and expectation. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology, 3 (4), 427-432.
- Humphries-Smith, T., Romouzy-Ali, A., Noroozi, S. and Sewell, P., 2012. Adopting Rapid Prototyping Technology within Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: The Differences between Reality and Expectation. International Journal of Innovation, Management and Technology,, 3 (4), 427-432.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Adrian, A., 2012. Intellectual Property Education – Thinking outside the Box meets Colouring within the Lines. International Journal of Learning & Intellectual Capital, 9 (3), 337-350.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2010. Several Shades of Green - do you do eco-design or sustainable design or neither. Engineering Designer, 10-12.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2008. An evaluation of existing online learning and teaching resources for the socio-centric aspects of sustainable design. DS 46: Proceedings of E and PDE 2008, the 10th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2008. Sustainable design and the design curriculum. Journal of Design Research, 7, 259-274.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Steiner, S., 2010. Engineering Our World Towards a Sustainable Future. In: Jones, P., Selby, D. and Sterling, S., eds. Sustainability Education - Perspectives and Practice Across Higher Education. London: Earthscan.
- Humphries-Smith, T., Hunt, C. and White, M., 2019. Unpicking the Barriers to Diversity in Engineering Apprenticeships. In: International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education 2019 12-13 September 2019 University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Abate, G., 2018. Bringing Product Design to a Diverse Young Public. In: Childs, P., Green, S., Hall, A., Bohemia, E., Kovacevic, A., Winslow, J. and Buck, L., eds. International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education 6-7 September 2018 Imperial College, London.
- Humphries-Smith, T., White, M. and Hunt, C., 2017. Engineering design, apprenticeships & diversity. 236-241.
- Humphries-Smith, T., Benjamin, C. and White, M., 2016. It’s Part-Time but Still Not as We Know it!” – A Further Evaluation of a Flexible Learning MEng. In: Engineering and Product Design Education 8-9 September 2016 Aalborg, Denmark.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2015. AN INVESTIGATION INTO WHAT FEEDBACK STUDENTS RECOGNISE AS FEEDBACK. In: INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ENGINEERING AND PRODUCT DESIGN EDUCATION 3-4 September 2015 Loughborough, UK. Glasgow: Design Society, 252-257.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Eves, B., 2015. Visual representation of the concept of privacy in the eastern region of Saudi Arabia's houses design: a comparative study of the traditional and contemporary. In: ARCHDESIGN'15 6-8 July 2015 Turkey. 739-750.
- AlKhateeb, M., Humphries-Smith, T. and Eves, W., 2014. Space Design and Privacy in a Saudi House. In: Time, Space and the Body 3rd Global Conference 7-9 September 2014 Oxford.
- Humphries-Smith, T., Blount, G. and Powell, J., 2014. Ethics – research, engineering, design… they’re all the same aren’t they? In: Bohemia, E., Eger, A., Eggink, W., Kovacevic, A., Parkinson, B. and Wits, W., eds. International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education 4-5 September 2014 Eschede, Netherlands. The Design Society, Institution of Engineering Designers, 485-491.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Eves, R, 2013. Privacy within the Interior Design of Contemporary Homes in Saudi: A Design Tool. In: Catak, N. and Duyan, E., eds. ARCHTHEO13: Theory of Architecture Conference III on Creativity, Autonomy, Function 4-6 December 2013 Turkey. Mimar Sinan Güzel Sanatlar Üniversitesi Yayinlari.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Benjamin, C., 2013. "It's Part-Time but Not as We Know It!" - An Evaluation of a Flexible Learning MEng. In: Lawlor, J. et al., eds. E&PDE2013 5-6 September 2013 Dublin. Westbury, UK: The Design Society & Institution of Engineering Designers, 210-215.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Glasspool, C.R., 2012. Final Year Induction - Re-engagement and Re-motivation. Antwerp, Belgium: Design Soceity & Institution of Engineering Designers.
- Romouzy Ali, A.M., Noroozi, S., Sewell, P. and Humphries-Smith, T., 2012. The Barriers Hindering Rapid Prototyping Deployment within Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: Which Should Come First? In: Twelfth International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change Management 6-8 July 2012 Chicago, USA.
- Humphries-Smith, T., Hunt, C., Dowlen, C. and Vaitkevicius, S., 2011. Industrial Briefs for Student Projects - A Company Perspective. In: Kovacevic, A., Ion, W., McMahon, C., Buck, L. and Hogarth, P., eds. E&PDE2011 8-9 September 2011 London. The Design Society/Institution of Engineering Designers, 23-28.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and Hunt, C., 2010. Developing enterprise opportunities from placements to graduate consultancy in lean sustainable design. In: Baggerud, B., Boks, C., Clarke, A., Hogarth, P., Ion, B. and McMahon, C., eds. E&PDE2010 2-3 September 2010 Norway. Trondheim, Norway: Norwegian University of Science & Technology, 340-345.
- Conrad, F. and Humphries-Smith, T., 2009. The Development of an On-Line Learning and Teaching Resource for the Socio-Centric Aspects of Sustainable Design. Unviersity of Strathclyde: The Design Society and IED, 122-127.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2009. Collaborative Student Centred Learning: Intellectual Property for Product Designers. University of Strathclyde: The Design Society and IED, 49-54.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2007. To Embed or not to Embed (Sustainability in the Curriculum) That is the Question – And Do We Have a Choice? Basildon, Essex: Hadleys, 27-33.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2002. Widening Participation Issues in Teaching and Learning. In: Institute for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education Annual Conference 2002, June 2002 Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2001. Workplace Learning in Smaller Firms. European Distance and E-Learning Network, 262-267.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2000. Design projects and autonomous learning. 441-446.
- Humphries-Smith, T. and sewell, P., 2016. Upskilling the Engineering Workforce. Engineering Designer: Institution of Engineering Designers. Available from: http://journal-download.co.uk/digitalmagazines/edr/edr01jan2016fulledr.pdf.
- Humphries-Smith, T.M.B., 2010. Development of a Collaborative, Distance Learning Based route to BEng/MEng qualification for Engineers in Employment.. http://www.hestem.ac.uk/activity/development-collaborative-distance-learning-based-route-bengmeng-qualifications-engineers: National HE STEM Programme Engineering.
- Humphries-Smith, T., 2010. Socio-centric Sustainable Design - the Development of a Learning Resource. London: Higher Education Academy Engineering Subject Centre. Available from: http://www.engsc.ac.uk/journal/index.php/ee.
- Maryam Alkhateeb. Privacy in Saudi Arabian Interior Architecture
- Iman Nassef. Improving Graduate Attributes in Egyptian Higher Education
- Abdelrahim Alzanati. Re-Thinking a Project Management System
- Louise Spencer. Personal design and manufacture: the impact of 3D printing innovations on consumer behaviour and consumption
- Michael Mayer. Supply chain risk management for Small to Medium-Sized Enterprises through application of software-supported methods
- Dukki Hong. Designing for the Future: The impact of scanning technology and reverse engineering on mass customisation as it applies to 3D Printing and the implications for Intellectual Property Law
- Abdalla Mohamed Mukhtar Mazen, 2021. The Causes of Delays and Cost overwhelm in Governmental Construction Projects in Libya
Profile of Teaching PG
- Project Management
- Research Methods
- Group Project
- Design Management
- Project Management - FL mode
Profile of Teaching UG
- Design Projects 3
- Understanding the reasons for, and barriers to, a career choice of technical apprenticeships (Southern Universities Network - NCOP programme, 01 Sep 2018). Awarded
- Visiting Professor in Employer Engagement (Royal Academcy of Engineering, 01 Oct 2012). Awarded
- Engineering Council, Licence Review Panel Chair (2017-2020), http://www.engc.org.uk/about-us/
- Nottingham TrentUniversity, External Examiner (2016-2020)
- University of Wales, Swansea, External Examiner (2016-2020)
- PG Cert in PhD Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- EdD in Management of Education (University of Southampton, 2004)
- PG Dip in Post-Compulsory Education (Bournemouth University, 2000)
- PG Dip in Manufacturing - Management & Technology (Open University, 2000)
- MPhil in History of Design (Kingston University, 1996)
- BSc (Hons) in Engineering Product Design (South Bank Polytechnic, 1989)
- Chair of Council (Institution of Engineering Designers, 2015)
- Engineering Council (CEng), Chartered Engineer,
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow,
- Institution of Engineering Designers (MIED), Member, Chartered Technological Product Designer,
- Royal Society of Arts (FRSA), Fellow,
External Media and Press
- Bi-monthly column for Engineering Designer journal, Engineering Designer journal published by IED, 03 Sep 2015. http://www.institution-engineering-designers.org.uk/Article/ViewFromTheChair