Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I have had a long and varied career in hospital, community and independent clinical midwifery in the UK and in South Africa. This has invariably been combined with both formal and informal teaching in clinical and academic settings. Along the way, I was a Principal Investigator on an influential large-scale RCT of the third stage of labour and, following on from this I completed my PhD looking at Discourses of blood loss in normal childbirth. I am currently researching in two areas. I am in a team researching the experience of women who breastfeed following a diagnosis of breast cancer. In addition I am investigating the barriers and enablers to student midwives' learning around normal birth.
I have broad interests in midwifery, particularly maternity care in low-resource settings.
- Dhakal Rai, S., Wood, J., Regmi, P.R., van Teijlingen, E. et al., 2019. Caesarean Section rates in South Asian cities: Can midwifery help stem the rise? Journal of Asian Midwives, 6 (2), 4-22.
- Dhakal Rai, S., Regmi, P., van Teijlingen, E., Wood, J., Dangal, G. and Dhakal, K., 2018. Rising Rates of Caesarean Section in Urban Nepal. Journal of Nepal Health Research Council, 16 (41), 479-480.
- Wood, J., 1998. Hinchingbrooke Third Stage Trial. The Lancet.
- Wood, J., 1993. Childbearing within the Prison System. Nursing Standard, 7 (18), 25-28.
- Wood, J., 1991. Responding to AIDS - Lessons from Ugandan Christians. Pacemaker, January, 9.
- Wood, J., 1989. Stress related to Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing. Midwives Chronicle, November, 366-368.
- Wood, J. and Rogers, J., 1997. The Third Stage of Labour. In: Alexander, J., Levy, V. and Roth, C., eds. Midwifery Practice: Core Topics 2. London: Macmillan, 113-125.
- Wood, J. and Rogers, J., 1995. Current Issues in Midwifery. In: Littelwoood, J., ed. Current Issues in Nursing. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 189-218.
- Ekong, A., Regmi, P., Wood, J. and Tsofliou, F., 2019. Challenges and facilitators to healthy eating in pregnancy: a systematic review. http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.php?ID=CRD42019120961.
- Aniebiet Ekong, 2021. Informing the development of a culturally-adapted intervention/tool for healthy eating for pregnant African immigrants living in the UK
- Eirini Iro Arvanitidou, 2024. Informing the development of a nutrition intervention for couples in the preconception period to promote healthy nutrition and healthy body weight
- Sulochana Rai-Dhakal. Assessing factors associated with high rate of Caesarean section in urban Nepal and possible strategies to overcome this trend: A hospital-based study
- GIZ [Gesellschaft für Internatio‘Collaboration to strengthen midwifery education in Nepal through midwifery faculty support & curriculum development’ (GIZ [Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit], 01 Nov 2019). Awarded
- The Hinchingbrooke Third Stage Trial (Anglia and Oxford Regional Health Authority, 01 Jun 1992). Completed
- University of Brighton, External Examiner (2019-)
- Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust, Link Tutor (2016-)
- Coordinator for International Placements, BSc Midwifery Undergraduates
- Portsmouth campus Site Lead, St Mary's User Group
- Departmental lead for Global Engagement, Global Engagement
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Board Member for the charity Pregnancy Options
- Counsellor for women with unintended pregnancy or following pregnancy loss or termination
- Professional Advisor, Advisor on educational material. The Healthcare Improvements Studies Institute, University of Cambridge
- PGCE in Higher Education (Bournemouth University, 2017)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Authority in Education (HEA, 2017)
- PG Diploma in Higher Education (University of Cape Town, 2011)
- PhD in Midwifery (University of the South Bank, 1999)
- Advanced Diploma in Midwifery in Midwifery (Royal College of Midwives, 1990)
- Registered Midwife in Midwifery (United Kingdom Central Council, 1987)
- BSc (Hons) in Nursing Studies (University of London, 1985)
- Registered General Nurse in General Nursing (United Kingdom Central Council, 1985)
- Pregnancy Options Centre, Chichester, Board Member (2018-),
- Higher Education Authority, Fellow (2017-),
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Registrant (1985-),
- Royal College of Midwives, Member,
- South African Nursing Council, Registrant,