Dr Parisa Gilani
- 01202 961886
- pgilani at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Leadership
- Dorset House D216, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Parisa Gilani is an emerging thought leader and Principle Academic in Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour. Her research interests primarily centre around leadership, leadership development, gender and diversity. She is particularly interested in qualitative means of assessing the impact of leadership interventions and the enactment of gender and leadership in male dominated industries. Parisa has a keen interest in extending our understanding of leadership to non-Western contexts. She has researched and delivered workshops in Iran, Denmark and China. She is keen to supervise Doctoral students in any of the areas listed above.
Parisa is also an educator and Programme Coordinator for the MSc in Management with HR and Academic Lead for the BU Certificate in Programme Leadership. In 2022 she won the Vice Chancellor's Award for 'Inspiring Learning'.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
"Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"
Decent work and economic growth
"Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
- Gilani, P., Bolden, R. and Pye, A., 2023. Evaluating shifting perceptions and configurations of social capital in leadership development. Leadership, 19 (1), 63-84.
- Gilani, P., Rook, C., Razeghi, Y. and Carr, M., 2022. Swimming against the current: Negotiating leadership challenges for women in Iran. Leadership, 18 (1), 162-185.
- Clarke, R., Polkinghorne, M., Gilani, P. and Farquharson, L., 2022. Driving Economic Growth: Examining the Role of Leadership within SME Innovation. , 63-80.
- Gilani, P., Bolat, E., Nordberg, D. and Wilkin, C., 2020. Mirror, mirror on the wall: Shifting leader–follower power dynamics in a social media context. Leadership, 16 (3), 343-363.
- Gilani, P. and Razeghi, Y., 2010. Global manufacturing: creating the balance between local and global markets. Assembly Automation: the international journal of assembly technology and management, 30 (2), 103-108.
- Clarke, R., Polkinghorne, M., Farquharson, L. and Gilani, P., 2021. Leadership as a Means of Cultivating Innovation: Analogue People in a Digital Future. In: Eurasian Business and Economics Society - 36th EBES Conference 1-3 July 2021 Istanbul, Turkey.
- Gilani, P., Bolat, E. and Wilkin, C., 2018. Leadership Chaos: When Power is in the Hands of Followers. In: 6th International Studying Leadership Conference 16-18 December 2018 Lancaster University Management School, Lancaster, UK.
- Bolat, E. and Gilani, P., 2018. Instagram influencers: when a special relationship with fans turns dark. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/instagram-influencers-when-a-special-relationship-with-fans-turns-dark-100543.
- Taylor, D., Carr, M. and Gilani, P., 2017. International Women's Day Events at Bournemouth University: Developing Women Leaders of the future. Palgrave. Available from: http://www.palgrave.com/gp/palgrave/developing-women-leaders/12183950.
- Bolat, E. et al., 2016. Digital Me, Pop-up Photo Exhibition. Photo. Digital Me. Sovereign Shopping Centre, Boscombe, Bournemouth. 5 November 2016.
Employee Engagement, Isfahan Chamber of Commerce, Iran, 02 Sep 2018 more
Employee Engagement Key Note for the Isfahan Chamber of Commerce, Islamic Republic of Iran
- Investigating Forms of Leadership in a Digital Age (Bournemouth University, URAP, 04 Jun 2017). Awarded
- FBU (Financial University and Bournemouth University) Workshop: Digital momentum for SMEs (Santander, 04 Jan 2015). Awarded
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Business Consultancy Pop-up Store (17 Nov 2016)
- Digital Me Pop-up Photo Gallery; ESRC Festival of Social Science 2016 (05 Oct 2016)
- PGCE in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (Anglia Ruskin University, 2014)
- PhD in Leadership (University of Exeter, 2014)
- MSc in International Management and Consulting (University of Reading, 2007)
- BA (Hons) in International Management and Business with French (University of Reading, 2006)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Advance HE, 2019)
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, Member (2017-),
- Charterted Management Institute (CMI), Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy (HEA), Fellow (2014-),
External Media and Press
- Chiara Ferragni, l'acqua Evian e la società degli 'imitatori', Cultura e Culture, 11 Oct 2018. http://www.culturaeculture.it/di-tutto-un-po/chiara-ferragni-acqua-evian-80247/
- Non solo Ferragnez. Il lato oscuro dell’influencer tra ansia, insicurezza e dipendenza dal ‘like’ altrui, Business Insider Italia, 10 Oct 2018. https://it.businessinsider.com/non-solo-ferragnez-il-lato-oscuro-dellinfluencer-tra-ansia-insicurezza-e-dipendenza-dal-like-altrui/
- https://freepressonline.it/2018/10/10/tutti-vogliono-essere-influencer-ma-la-dipendenza-da-like-cose/, Free press online (Comunicati Stampa), 10 Oct 2018. https://freepressonline.it/2018/10/10/tutti-vogliono-essere-influencer-ma-la-dipendenza-da-like-cose/
- IL LATO OSCURO DEGLI INFLUENCER: DIPENDENZA DA LIKE E ANSIA, Style 24, 10 Oct 2018. https://www.style24.it/influencer-dipendenza-like-ansia/
- When Instagram Gives You Anxiety, Mid-Day.com, 09 Sep 2018. https://www.mid-day.com/articles/when-instagram-gives-you-anxiety/19784171
- Influencer zijn op sociale media is een prima recept voor depressie, Express Business, Netherlands, 17 Aug 2018. https://nl.express.live/2018/08/17/influencer-zijn-op-sociale-media-een-prima-recept-voor-depressie
- It’s depressing to be slightly influential on social media, The Times, 09 Aug 2018. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/it-s-depressing-to-be-slightly-influential-on-social-media-xf75sztff
- Instagram influencers: when a special relationship with fans turns dark, Yahoo News, 07 Aug 2018. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/instagram-influencers-special-relationship-fans-120654126.html