Dr Lois Farquharson
- 01202 968144
- lfarquharson at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Deputy Dean - Education & Professional Practice
- Dorset House D154 (Dorset House, Talbot Campus), Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Throughout her academic career, Lois has employed the positive philosophy and practice of continuous improvement; working in collaboration with various organisational stakeholders to develop teams and individuals in the context of organisational vision, mission and goals.
As a Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute, People-centred Lean approaches and Appreciative Inquiry, underpin much of her work.
She has worked with Bournemouth University for almost 5 years as a Head of Department. She began her role leading a Human Resources & Organisational Behaviour Department. Subsequently, through consultation and collaboration, Lois built and leads the multi-disciplinary Leadership, Strategy and Organisations Department. She has also supported wider organisational development through the implementation of a new Academic Career Framework and Workload Planning Framework.
Lois is active in applied research in various areas including leadership and HRM good practice, and has enjoyed collaborating with various organisations including IiP Scotland, NHS Lothian, and Dorset and Devon & Cornwall Police Forces... She has supervised PhD and DBA theses in a range of areas including culture change, lean management/continuous improvement, readiness for change, employee engagement, leadership practice, partnership working, and gender equality.
Prior to working at BU, Lois was Director of Research Degrees (PhD and DBA) at Edinburgh Napier University with the remit of revitalising the doctoral research community.more
- Farquharson, L., Sinha, T. and Clarke, S., 2018. Researching organisational change in higher education: A Holistic Tripartite approach. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 16 (3), 150-161.
- Farquharson, L., 2009. Developing a Shared Action Agenda: New Forms of Partnership in the Scottish Public Sector. International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, 9 (7).
- Maxwell, G. and Farquharson, L., 2008. Senior Managers Perceptions of the Practise of Human Resource Management. Employee Relations, 30 (4).
- Watson, S., Maxwell, G. and Farquharson, L., 2007. Line Managers’ views on adopting Human Resource Management and Human Resource Development roles: The case of Hilton (UK) Hotels. Employee Relations, 29 (1).
- Maxwell, G., Farquharson, L. and Blair, S., 2005. Developing the Equality Agenda in Scotland: New Labour, New Opportunities? The International Journal of Diversity, 14.
- Beattie, R., Munro, P. and Farquharson, L., 2003. Reclaiming a Stake in their Community. Local Governance, 29 (3).
- Farquharson, L. and Baum, T., 2002. Enacting Organisational Change Programmes: A Centre Stage Role for HRM? International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 14 (5).
- Sinha, T., Clarke, S. and Farquharson, L., 2018. Shrek, Saunders and the Onion Myth: Using Myths, Metaphors and Storytelling. In: Demartini, P. and Marchiori, M., eds. 17th European Conference on Research Methodology for Business and Management Studies 12-13 July 2018 Department of Business Studies, University of Roma, TRE, Rome. Rome: ACPi, 366-371.
- Haffar, M., Djebarni, R., Farquharson, L., Al-Karaghouli, W. and Gabadmosi, G., 2015. A qualitative exploratory study of the mediating role of individual commitment to change in the relationship between organisational culture and TQM implementation,. In: BAMConference 8-10 September 2015 University of Portsmouth,.
- Haffar, M., Djebarni, R., Farquharson, L. and Gbadamosi, G., 2015. The Mediating Effect of Individual Readiness for Change in the Relationship between Organisational Culture and Individual Commitment to Change. In: International Conference on Management, Business, Economics and Finance 15-17 August 2015 Barcelona.
- Clark, S., Farquarheson, L., Collins, B. and Diaz, A., 2015. How brilliant are we? Reflections on using Appreciative Action Research in higher education. In: ECRM International Conference 11-12 June 2015 Malta.
- Haffar, M., Djebarni, R., Farquharson, L. and Al-Karaghouli, W., 2014. Organisational Culture, Individual Readiness for Change Dimensions and TQM Implementation: A Conceptual Framework and Propositions for Research. In: BAM 2014, The Role of the Business School in Supporting Economic and Social Development 9-11 September 2014 UNIVERSITY OF ULSTER, Northern Ireland, ,.
- Watson, S., Naismith, N., McMillan, J. and Farquharson, L., 2010. Exploring leadership development interventions in the Scottish Hospitality Industry. In: EuroCHRIE 25-28 October 2010 Amsterdam.
- Farquharson, L., McMillan, J., Naismith, N. and Watson, S., 2010. Exploring Proactive Influence Tactics through the Servant Leadership Lens: First Findings. In: British Academy of Management 7-9 September 2010 Sheffield.
- Watson, S., Naismith, N., Farquharson, L. and McMillan, J., 2010. A Scottish perspective on the diagnosis and evaluation of leadership development interventions. In: Developing Leadership Capability Conference 15-16 July 2010 Bristol.
- Watson, S., Farquharson, L., McMillan, J. and Naismith, N., 2010. Exploring Leadership actions and Practices Influencing Collective Learning: a Complex Relationship? In: International Conference on Human Resource Development Research and Practice across Europe 2-4 June 2010 Hungary.
- Farquharson, L. and McMillan, J., 2009. Partnership for Performance: Learning and Development in Scottish Public Services. In: Public Administration Conference 7-9 September 2009 Glamorgan, Wales.
- Farquharson, L. and Wilson, L., 2009. Developing a Shared Action Agenda: New Forms of Partnership in the Scottish Public Sector. In: International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organisations 24-27 June 2009 Boston.
- Zhou, A. and Farquharson, L., 2009. Change Models and Core Values: A Critical Review of Change Management in the British Healthcare Sector. In: International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organisations. 24-27 June 2009 Boston.
- Kilgore, J., Farquharson, L. and Currie, K., 2009. Designing & Implementing Synchronous and Asynchronous Learning Environments on the Napier University Business School MBA Programme: New Skills for Managers. In: EDEN Annual Conference 10-13 June 2009 Gdansk, Poland.
- Maxwell, G. and Farquharson, L., 2007. Practising Human Resource Management in the UK’s Best Employers. In: British Academy of Management 10-13 September 2007 Warwick.
- Farquharson, L. and Maxwell, G., 2006. The Equality Agenda in Post-devolution Scotland: What’s Going On? In: International Research Society for Public Management Conference 8-10 April 2006 Glasgow.
- Farquharson, L., 2004. Strategic Human Resource Management in the UK’s Best Employers: Organisational Contribution, Processes and Priorities. In: British Academy of Management 30 August-1 September 2004 St Andrews.
- Maxwell, G., Farquharson, L. and Blair, S., 2004. Developing the Equality Agenda in Scotland: New Labour, New Opportunities? In: International Conference on Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations 6-9 July 2004 Los Angeles.
- Aleksandra Biernat, 2018. Female Talent in the Knowledge Economy
- Durra Abd Razak. Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Deborah Taylor. Psychological Ownership
Profile of Teaching PG
- MBA Programme - Leadership & OB Unit; Research Project Unit
Profile of Teaching UG
- BA (Hons) Business Studies Programme, Level 6 - Organisational Leadership Unit
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI), Chair of CMI Southern Region Board (2018-2021), https://www.managers.org.uk/individuals/existing-members/cmi-near-you/southern
- CABS Deans & Directors Development Programme, 09 Feb 2017
- PhD in Role of HRM in Change: the case of BAA plc (Strathclyde University, 2003)
- BA in International Travel with Information Systems (Glasgow Caledonian University, 1996)
- MSc in Hospitality Management (with distinction) (Glasgow Caledonian University, 1997)
- PGCE in Learning and Teaching in HE (Edinburgh Napier University, 2009)