Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Lois was appointed as the Executive Dean of Bournemouth University Business School in 2019. She previously worked with Bournemouth University as a Head of the Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour Department, followed by the Leadership, Strategy & Organisations Department, and then the Deputy Dean for Education & Professional Practice in the Faculty of Management & The Business School.
The practice of change and continuous improvement is a focus throughout Lois's leadership roles to date. She is particularly committed to leading with a kind heart, ensuring inclusivity, and taking colleagues' wellbeing into account when moving forward in what has become a challenging HE environment at all levels. As a Chartered Manager and Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute, Lois is active as a volunteer member in the CMI South West Regional Board which supports the positive development of managers and leaders across sectors and businesses. Lois is also an active Academic Fellow of the CIPD, supporting the identity and development of the HR Profession...
Lois is active in applied research and knowledge exchange in various areas including leadership development/practice, HRM good practice, inclusivity and diversity and has enjoyed collaborating with various organisations including NHS, BCP Council, and Dorset and Devon & Cornwall Police Forces. She has supervised PhD and DBA theses in a range of areas including culture change, lean management/continuous improvement, readiness for change, employee engagement, leadership practice, partnership working, and gender equality.more
- Devis-Rozental, C. and Farquharson, L., 2020. What influences students in their development of socio-emotional intelligence whilst at university? Higher Education Pedagogies, 5 (1), 294-309.
- Farquharson, L., Sinha, T. and Clarke, S., 2018. Researching organisational change in higher education: A Holistic Tripartite approach. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 16 (3), 150-161.
- Farquharson, L., 2009. Developing a Shared Action Agenda: New Forms of Partnership in the Scottish Public Sector. International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, 9 (7).
- Maxwell, G. and Farquharson, L., 2008. Senior Managers Perceptions of the Practise of Human Resource Management. Employee Relations, 30 (4).
- Watson, S., Maxwell, G. and Farquharson, L., 2007. Line Managers’ views on adopting Human Resource Management and Human Resource Development roles: The case of Hilton (UK) Hotels. Employee Relations, 29 (1).
- Maxwell, G., Farquharson, L. and Blair, S., 2005. Developing the Equality Agenda in Scotland: New Labour, New Opportunities? The International Journal of Diversity, 14.
- Beattie, R., Munro, P. and Farquharson, L., 2003. Reclaiming a Stake in their Community. Local Governance, 29 (3).
- Farquharson, L. and Baum, T., 2002. Enacting Organisational Change Programmes: A Centre Stage Role for HRM? International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 14 (5).
- Devis-Rozental, C. and Farquharson, L., 2020. Positive education as a tool to humanise Higher education. In: Clarke, S., ed. Humanising Higher education: a positive approach to wellbeing. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Farquharson, L., 2020. Leading with a kind heart. In: Devis-Rozental, C. and Clarke, S., eds. Humanising Higher education: A positive approach to achieve wellbeing. Springer.
- Farquharson, L., 2020. Gender, Diversity and Leadership. In: Bratton, J., ed. Organisational Leadership. Sage.
- Clarke, S., Roper, L., Farquharson, L. and Renaud, V., 2019. Identity and Values to Drive Respect for People: A case-study based on embedding kindness as an organizational value. In: Yorkstone, S., ed. Global Lean for Higher Education A Themed Anthology of Case Studies, Approaches, and Tools. Routledge.
- Clarke, S., Farquharson, L. and Roper, L., 2019. Identity and Values to Drive Respect for People: A Case Study Based on Embedding Kindness as an Organisational Value. In: Yorkstone, S., ed. Global Lean for Higher Education A Themed Anthology of Case Studies, Approaches, and Tools. Abingdon: Taylor and Francis, 101-114.
- Devis-Rozental, C., Clarke, S., Roper, L., Farquharson, L. and Forster, J., 2021. Humanising Higher Education as a tool to enrich society: challenges and opportunities’. In: Society of transnational academic researchers global conference 10-12 December 2021 India.
- Clarke, R., Polkinghorne, M., Farquharson, L. and Gilani, P., 2021. Leadership as a Means of Cultivating Innovation: Analogue People in a Digital Future. In: Eurasian Business and Economics Society - 36th EBES Conference 1-3 July 2021 Istanbul, Turkey.
- Sinha, T., Clarke, S. and Farquharson, L., 2018. Shrek, Saunders and the Onion Myth: Using Myths, Metaphors and Storytelling. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 17TH EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON RESEARCH METHODOLOGY FOR BUSINESS AND MANAGEMENT STUDIES (ECRM 2018), 366-371.
- Haffar, M., Djebarni, R., Farquharson, L., Al-Karaghouli, W. and Gabadmosi, G., 2015. A qualitative exploratory study of the mediating role of individual commitment to change in the relationship between organisational culture and TQM implementation,. In: BAMConference 8-10 September 2015 University of Portsmouth,.
- Haffar, M., Djebarni, R., Farquharson, L. and Gbadamosi, G., 2015. The Mediating Effect of Individual Readiness for Change in the Relationship between Organisational Culture and Individual Commitment to Change. In: International Conference on Management, Business, Economics and Finance 15-17 August 2015 Barcelona.
- Clark, S., Farquarheson, L., Collins, B. and Diaz, A., 2015. How brilliant are we? Reflections on using Appreciative Action Research in higher education. In: ECRM International Conference 11-12 June 2015 Malta.
- Haffar, M., Djebarni, R., Farquharson, L. and Al-Karaghouli, W., 2014. Organisational Culture, Individual Readiness for Change Dimensions and TQM Implementation: A Conceptual Framework and Propositions for Research. In: BAM 2014, The Role of the Business School in Supporting Economic and Social Development 9-11 September 2014 UNIVERSITY OF ULSTER, Northern Ireland, ,.
- Watson, S., Naismith, N., McMillan, J. and Farquharson, L., 2010. Exploring leadership development interventions in the Scottish Hospitality Industry. In: EuroCHRIE 25-28 October 2010 Amsterdam.
- Farquharson, L., McMillan, J., Naismith, N. and Watson, S., 2010. Exploring Proactive Influence Tactics through the Servant Leadership Lens: First Findings. In: British Academy of Management 7-9 September 2010 Sheffield.
- Watson, S., Naismith, N., Farquharson, L. and McMillan, J., 2010. A Scottish perspective on the diagnosis and evaluation of leadership development interventions. In: Developing Leadership Capability Conference 15-16 July 2010 Bristol.
- Watson, S., Farquharson, L., McMillan, J. and Naismith, N., 2010. Exploring Leadership actions and Practices Influencing Collective Learning: a Complex Relationship? In: International Conference on Human Resource Development Research and Practice across Europe 2-4 June 2010 Hungary.
- Farquharson, L. and McMillan, J., 2009. Partnership for Performance: Learning and Development in Scottish Public Services. In: Public Administration Conference 7-9 September 2009 Glamorgan, Wales.
- Farquharson, L. and Wilson, L., 2009. Developing a Shared Action Agenda: New Forms of Partnership in the Scottish Public Sector. In: International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organisations 24-27 June 2009 Boston.
- Zhou, A. and Farquharson, L., 2009. Change Models and Core Values: A Critical Review of Change Management in the British Healthcare Sector. In: International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organisations. 24-27 June 2009 Boston.
- Kilgore, J., Farquharson, L. and Currie, K., 2009. Designing & Implementing Synchronous and Asynchronous Learning Environments on the Napier University Business School MBA Programme: New Skills for Managers. In: EDEN Annual Conference 10-13 June 2009 Gdansk, Poland.
- Maxwell, G. and Farquharson, L., 2007. Practising Human Resource Management in the UK’s Best Employers. In: British Academy of Management 10-13 September 2007 Warwick.
- Farquharson, L. and Maxwell, G., 2006. The Equality Agenda in Post-devolution Scotland: What’s Going On? In: International Research Society for Public Management Conference 8-10 April 2006 Glasgow.
- Farquharson, L., 2004. Strategic Human Resource Management in the UK’s Best Employers: Organisational Contribution, Processes and Priorities. In: British Academy of Management 30 August-1 September 2004 St Andrews.
- Maxwell, G., Farquharson, L. and Blair, S., 2004. Developing the Equality Agenda in Scotland: New Labour, New Opportunities? In: International Conference on Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations 6-9 July 2004 Los Angeles.
- Clarke, R., Polkinghorne, M., Gilani, P. and Farquharson, L., 2020. Leadership as a Means of Cultivating Innovation: Analogue People in a Digital Future. In: Bournemouth University PGR Conference 2020.
- Deborah Taylor. Psychological Ownership
- Sara Emmett. The role of complexity in large organisations: How an interdisciplinary research approach to developing applicable theory can assist practical changes to be made in organisations on the path to sustainability (with specific focus upon Anglo-Christian organisations).
- Laura Roper. Us and Them: Enabling and developing change in Higher Education whilst also engaging and valuing multiple sub-cultures.
- Rachel Clarke. Leadership as a means of cultivating innovation: analogue people in a digital future
Profile of Teaching PG
- MBA Programme - Leadership & OB Unit; Research Project Unit
Profile of Teaching UG
- BA (Hons) Business Studies Programme, Level 6 - Organisational Leadership Unit
- SPEED-You-UP: Students and NEET young people, Professionals and Educators work on Employability and Entrepreneurial skills in the battle against school Dropout and Youth UnemPloyment. (European Commission Intereg 2Seas, 02 Nov 2020). In Progress
- Chartered Management Institute, Member of the CMI South West Regional Board (2020-), https://www.managers.org.uk/community/regional-networks/south-west/
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI), Chair of CMI Southern Region Board (2018-2020), https://www.managers.org.uk/individuals/existing-members/cmi-near-you/southern
- SRHE Conference 2021, (Re)connecting, (Re)building: Higher Education in Transformative Times, Hybridity in Higher Education: Positive Transformation?, 06 Dec 2021, Virtual
- CABS Deans & Directors Development Programme, 09 Feb 2017
- PGCE in Learning and Teaching in HE (Edinburgh Napier University, 2009)
- PhD in Role of HRM in Change: the case of BAA plc (Strathclyde University, 2003)
- MSc in Hospitality Management (with distinction) (Glasgow Caledonian University, 1997)
- BA in International Travel with Information Systems (Glasgow Caledonian University, 1996)