- 01202 961307
- swaight at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I joined the Department of Nursing Science after a career in the NHS spanning over 30 years, culminating in the position as Associate Director of Nursing in a large NHS community Trust. As an active professional practice in nursing, at local, regional and national level, my qualifications are as Registered Nurse BSc (Hons); PG Cert Ed; MA Ethics in Health Care, and I am currently studying for my doctorate. During the recent pandemic, it has been a privilege to work on the national Covid immunisation programme.
An experienced nurse academic, my strengths in education, professional practice and a developing research profile are guided by the concept of compassion, with an emphasis on spirituality. I am a member and contribute to the International Network for the Study of Spirituality. The BU 2025 values underpin my education, professional practice and research activity in the areas of compassion, kindness, respect and a caring positive mindset for humanised nursing. This is aligned and is a key requirement of all Registered Nurses working in the NHS... I have embedded the concept of humanising within the teaching of digital competencies. (Waight and Holley 2021).
My teaching responsibilities encompasses course leadership for the BU CPD programme Foundations in General Practice Nursing, a dynamic and innovative programme for General Practice Nurses working in primary care. Here I lead three CPD units to enable registered nurses to continue CPD in the area of developing their role, in care of clients Long Term Conditions, Minor Illness and paediatric and urgent care.
In terms of citizenship, I am responsible for the Department of Nursing refresh in communications strategy, building our wider external and internal profile and publish our quarterly ‘Newsbites, Good news stories’ Newsletters. I research as part of the Nursing for Long term Health Research centre, and you can find out more about our work @N4LTHmore
- White, S., Stainer, L., Cooper, K. and Waight, S., 2018. The personal tutor as a role model for students: Humanising nursing care. British Journal of Nursing, 27 (1), 52-55.
- Graham, I.W., Waight, S. and Scammell, J., 1998. Using structured reflection to improve nursing practice. Nursing Times, 94, 56-59.
- Waight, S. and Holley, D., 2020. Digital competence frameworks: Their role in enhancing digital wellbeing in nursing curricula. Humanising Higher Education: A Positive Approach to Enhancing Wellbeing. 125-143.
- Waight, S., 2024. What Enables Nurses to be Compassionate? In: Sigma Global Nursing Society Phi Mu England Chapter Annual conference 19 July 2019 Oxford Brookes University England.
- Stainer, L., Cooper, K., White, S. and Waight, S., 2018. Academic Advisor (personal tutor) role modelling a humanising approach: how & why? In: Humanising Care Conference 21-22 June 2018 Bournemouth University.
- Stainer, L., Waight, S., White, S. and Cooper, K., 2018. The role of the personal tutor in Student Nurses personal and professional development in becoming a caring and compassionate nurse. In: Sigma 4th European Region Conference 5 June 2018 Anglia Ruskin University Cambridge.
- White, S., stainer, L., Cooper, K. and Waight, S., 2018. Academic Advising For Success: The Role of the Academic Adviser on a pre-registration nursing programme. In: UK Advising and Tutorial conference 2017 5-6 April 2017 Leeds Trinity University.
- Waight, S., 2016. Teaching Humanising Nursing Care on a first year Pre Registration Nursing Programme in England. In: Sigma Theta Tau International Honor society of Nursing, Leadership in Nursing, Scholarship, Practice. How to impact nursing as a caring profession globally 6-8 June 2016 Synposium Presentation.
- Tait, D., Scammell, J., Waight, S., Sheppard, Z., Stainer, L., Mills, A. and Heaslip, V., 2016. An evaluation of the progress made towards the implementation of treatment summaries for cancer patients across Wessex. BU: BU.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Exploring Adult Nursing
- Humanising Nursing Care
- Professional Role
- Personal and Professional Development
- Managing Complex Healthcare Conditions
- Health and Well Being
- Sigma Phi Mu All England chapter, Secretary (2016-), http://phimu.nursingsociety.org/home
- Dorset County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Governor (2015-)
- Course Lead Foundations in General Practice Nursing, CPD Programme.
- Unit Leader, Provide Unit Leadership for Exploring Adult Nursing. A first year nursing undergraduate unit, the dimensions of nursing practice, humanising nursing.
- 6th International Conference of the International Network for the Study of Spirituality, Supporting Nursing Students in their understanding and development of spirituality in nursing practice, 07 Jun 2021, in association with York St John University. York. UK
- Sigma Phi Mu Nursing A Profession without borders, What enables nurses to be compassionate in their practice, 19 Jul 2019, Oxford Brookes University England
- Sigma Theta Tau International Conference - Leadership in Nursing Scholarship. Influencing Nursing Globally, Teaching Humanising Nursing Care on a First Year Pre Registration Nursing Programme in England, 06 Jun 2016, Presentation at synposium
- PGCE in Post Graduate Certificate Education (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- International Network for the Study of Spirituality, Member (2021-), https://spiritualitystudiesnetwork.org/
- Higher Education Authority, Fellow (2015-),
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Member (2013-),
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Member (1980-),
- International Network for the Study of Spirituality Current membership. This international network of academic and applied disciplines studying the theory and practice of spirituality. The network, offers critical exploration of the study of spirituality in practice, education, scholarship and research. I co-authored a presentation at the 6th International conference on spirituality 7th and 8th June 2021. Associated with the Journal for the study of Spirituality.