Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
PhD. MSC. Ba (Hons). DPSN. RGN
Michele is a Senior Lecturer in Nursing Older People, in the Faculty of
Health & Social Sciences at Bournemouth University. Michele is passionate about the quality of care patients receive, and this influences all her teaching and research. She teaches on the undergraduate nursing course with a specific focus on nursing older people and dementia. She is the unit lead for the CPD course, Living Well with Dementia unit which is delivered at the university and within health care settings including the acute hospital setting and nursing home sector. Michele is also the programme lead for the new Degree and Master’s Degree on the Care of the Older Person being developed at Bournemouth University, with a start date of September 2015. Michele’s PhD explored the meaning of home for six baby boomers. Using participant generated images the participant revealed a deep sensual meaning of home. A new ‘Five Sense of Home Framework’ has been developed from the PhD research findings.
Meaning of Home; Photo elicitation; Participant generated images; Narrative.
- Richardson, K. and Board, M., 2018. Pain and agitation in dementia: a review of the literature. Nursing and Residential Care, 20 (2).
- Heaslip, V., Board, M., Duckworth, V. and Thomas, L., 2017. Widening participation in nurse education: An integrative literature review. NURSE EDUCATION TODAY, 59, 66-74.
- Heaslip, V. and Board, M., 2012. Does nurses' vulnerability affect their ability to care? Br J Nurs, 21 (15), 912-916.
- Board, M, Heaslip, V, Fuggle, K, Gallagher, J and Wilson, J, 2012. How education can Improve care for residents with dementia. Nursing Older People, 24 (5), 29-31.
- Biley, F., Hilton, W., Phillips, J. and Board, M., 2011. A brief report on an action learning group exploration of how older people adapt to change in later life. Nursing Reports, 1, 1-20.
- Nazarko, L., Board, M. and Garrett, D., 2009. Ask the experts. Nurs Older People, 21 (4), 16.
- Board, M. and Symons, M., 2007. Community Matron Role Development Through Action Learning. Primary Health Care, 17, 19-22.
- Board, M., 2007. Education and Support Needs for the Community Matron Role. Primary Health Care, 17, 22-24.
- Board, M. and Allen, S.C., 2006. Copying Overlapping Pentagons Predicts the Ability to Acquire Competence with a Turbohaler in Elderly Hospital In-Patients. Age and Ageing, 35, i71.
- Board, M. and Allen, S.C., 2006. A Simple Drawing Test to Identify Patients Who are Unlikely to be Able to Learn to Use an Inhaler. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 60, 510-513.
- Board, M. and Hemingway, A., 2014. The Context of Nursing Older People. Caring for Older People in Nursing. London: SAGE.
- Board, M., 2013. Physical Aspects of Ageing. Caring for Older People in Nursing.. SAGE.
- Ashencaen Crabtree, S., Ashencaen Crabtree, S., Hemingway, A., Sudbury, S., Hall, J., Board, M., Diaz, A., Hutchings, M., Jacey, H. et al., 2018. ‘Welcome to the Machine!’ Resisting isomorphic, masculinised corporatisation of Higher Education through feminist scholarship. In: DAKAM Gender and Women's Studies Conference 10-12 November 2018 Istanbul.
- Cox, C., Ellis-Hill, C., Board, M. and Vassalo, M., 2017. The aging 'frail' identity: creating positive identities with older people with frailty in a day hospital setting. In: BSG 2017 Annual Conference 5-7 July 2017 Swansea University, Swansea.
- Murphy, J., Heward, M., Board, M. and Spriggs, A., 2017. Integrating humanisation into practice: a dementia education and learning case study Humanising Caring. In: Health and Wellbeing Conference, 29-30 June 2017 Bournemouth,.
- Heward, M., Murphy, J., Board, M., Spriggs, A. and Emerson, L., 2017. Integrating humanisation into practice: a dementia education and learning case study. In: Humanising Caring, Health and Wellbeing Conference 29-30 June 2017 Bournemouth.
- Board, M., 2016. What can the life course tell us about the meaning of home for the baby boomers? In: The British Society of Gerontology 45th Annual Conference, University of Stirling 6-8 July 2016 Stirling University Scotland.
- Board, M. and Scammell, J., 2016. Humanised Approach to Interprofessional Dementia Education. In: British Society of Gerontology 6-8 July 2016 University of Stirling.
- Board, M., Pigott, L. and Olive, H., 2016. Symposium Better Together – A Day Hospitals Move Towards Integrated care. In: The British Society of Gerontology 45th Annual Conference 6-8 July 2016 Stirling University Scotland.
- Board, M., 2016. Creating a sense of home. In: RCN Older People’s forum and BGS joint conference Multi-disciplinary team working in community settings 14 April 2016 Birmingham.
- Board, M., Clarke, S. and bryant, R., 2016. The Challenges and Opportunities for Integrated Care, Examples From the Coal Face! In: RCN Older People’s forum and BGS joint conference Multi-disciplinary team working in community settings 14 April 2016 Birmingham.
- Board, M., 2015. THE FIVE SENSES OF HOME FRAMEWORK. In: IAGG Asia/Oceania 2015 Congress 19-22 October 2015 Thailand.
- Board, M., 2015. How Does The Life Course Influence The Meaning Of Home For Six Baby Boomers? In: IAGG-ER 2015 23-26 April 2015 Dublin.
- Thomas, L., Board, M., Heaslip, V. and Duckworth, V., 2017. Diversity, recruitment and retention in nurse education programmes: Catalyst Event Report. Edge Hill and Bournemouth University.
- Innes, A., Barker, S., Board, M., Fenge, L.A. and Heaslip, V., 2012. Review of HEDN Curriculum for Dementia Education (CDE).. HEDN.
- Heaslip, V. and Board, M, 2011. Evaluation of the Educational Package devised between Colten Care and Bournemouth University. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Physical Health needs of Older People
- Programme Leader Ba/MA Care of the Older Person. Unit lead for Physical health Needs of the Older Person and Living well with Dementia
- Living Well with Dementia
Profile of Teaching UG
- Academic Advisor
- Preparation for the Role of Registered Nurse
- Identifying Knowledge Practice
- Exploring Adult Nursing
Communcating with people with dementia, Bournemouth University, 16 Feb 2016 more
Year 2 Undergraduate Nursing programme Communication Unit
- Dementia in The Uk. Saaskatoon Canada, November 2012
- Dementia education Medipost (UK) Ltd Kingston Maurward
- An exploration of how a Day Hospital is meeting the needs of frail older people: a case study approach (Royal Bournemouth Hospital, 19 Sep 2016). In Progress
- Ageing Well Photo Exhibition (British Society of Gerontology, 25 Jun 2016). In Progress
- PDU Accreditation - Christchurch Day Hospital (Royal Bournemouth Hospital, 23 Feb 2015). In Progress
- POSADEM Joint Masters - Erasmus LLP (European Commission, 01 Sep 2013). Completed
- ESRC Festival of Social Science: Dementia in dorset - what does this mean for you? (Economic and Social Research Council, 17 Aug 2013). Completed
- Dementia Awareness Course (Royal Bournemouth Hospital, 01 May 2013). Completed
- Dementia programme (Gracewell Health Care, 16 Jan 2013). Completed
- Developing best practice in social care and support for adults with concurrent sight loss and dmentia within different housing setings (NIHR Health Services and Delivery Research (HS&DR) programme, 02 Jul 2012). Completed
- PDU Accreditation - Colten care (fernhill and The Aldbury (Colten Care LTD, 01 Oct 2011). Completed
- Christchurch Day Hospital, Consultant supporting staff prepare for PDU (2015-2016)
- Wiley and sons, Reviewer (2014-)
- Living Well with Dementia in a Residential Setting, Staff education and development around the needs of the person with dmentia. Colten Care, Vanessa Heaslip
- Older Person Care Development Programme, Staff education and development around the needs of the older person. Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Living Well with Dementia in a Acute Hospital Setting, Dementia Education. Dorset County Hospital
- Living Well with Dementia in a Acute Hospital Setting, Dementia Education. Queen Alexanders Hospital Portsmouth
- Living Well with Dementia in a Residential Setting, Dementia Education. Gracewell Nursing Home Group, Vanessa Heaslip
- PhD in Exploring the Meaning of Home For Six baby Boomers (Bournemouth University Supervisors Dr Kip Jones and Dr Lee-Anne Fenge, 2015)
- Registered General Nurse (RGN) in Adult Nursing (Dorset School of Nursing, 1985)
- BA (Hons) in Post Compulsary Education (Southampton University, 2000)
- MSc in Gerontology (Kings College London, 2004)
- British Geriatric Society, Member (2016-), http://www.bgs.org.uk/
- British Society of Gerontology, Member (2009-), http://www.britishgerontology.org/
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Register Adult Nurse ; Registered Teacher, https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/search-the-register/
- Royal College of Nursing, Member,