Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Michele Board PhD MSc BSc (Hons) DPSN RGN
Dr Michele Board is a Principal Academic in Nursing Older People at the Faculty of Health and Social Science at Bournemouth University. She has extensive experience in nursing, nurse leadership and nurse education.
Dr Michele Board leads the Older Persons Research Collaborative with members from universities across the UK and lead consultant nurses. The focus of the collaborative is frailty and the role of the nurses and allied health professionals in the assessment and care of the frail older person. She is the deputy lead for the Ageing and Dementia Research Centre at Bournemouth University.
Her general research interests are in the field of nursing older people and people with dementia. As a qualitative researcher she looks to use creative approaches to collect and present research data. Her PhD explored the meaning of home using photo elicitation. She has recently received a grant from Alzheimer’s Research UK to evaluate their A Walk Through Dementia (AWTD) app on learners understanding of the lived experience of dementia... A further grant from Higher Education England has been won to research the impact of the learning from the AWTD app on the patient’s experience of care.
Other research work includes widening participation and nurse education and consideration of the impact of changes to funding of nurses education in the UK on recruitment and retention of staff. This is especially relevant for the recruitment of nursing staff to work with older people.
She works one day a month with the Dorset Memory Advisory Service, contributing to the assessment of people with a cognitive impairment.more
Meaning of Home; Photo elicitation; Participant generated images; Narrative.
- Heward, M., Board, M., Spriggs, A. and Murphy, J., 2019. Design and evaluation protocol for ‘DEALTS 2’: a simulation-based dementia education intervention for acute care settings. International Psychogeriatrics.
- Board, M., Pigott, L., Olive, H. and Heaslip, V., 2019. Better Together – A Day Hospital’s move towards Integrated care. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation.
- Griffith, L. and Board, M., 2019. Influences on clinical decision-making during a community placement – reflections of a student nurse. British journal of community nursing.
- Board, M. and McCormack, B., 2018. Exploring the meaning of home and its implications for the care of older people. Journal of Clinical Nursing.
- Spacey, A., Scammell, J., Board, M. and Porter, S., 2018. End-of-life care in UK care homes: a systematic review of the literature. Journal of Research in Nursing.
- Richardson, K. and Board, M., 2018. Pain and agitation in dementia: a review of the literature. Nursing and Residential Care, 20 (2).
- Heaslip, V., Board, M., Thomas, L. and Duckworth, V., 2017. WIDENING PARTICIAPTION IN NURSE EDUCATION; AN INTEGRATIVE LITERATURE REVIEW. Nurse Education Today.
- Heaslip, V. and Board, M., 2012. Does nurses' vulnerability affect their ability to care? Br J Nurs, 21 (15), 912-916.
- Board, M, Heaslip, V, Fuggle, K, Gallagher, J and Wilson, J, 2012. How education can Improve care for residents with dementia. Nursing Older People, 24 (5), 29-31.
- Biley, F., Hilton, W., Phillips, J. and Board, M., 2011. A brief report on an action learning group exploration of how older people adapt to change in later life. Nursing Reports, 1, 1-20.
- Nazarko, L., Board, M. and Garrett, D., 2009. Ask the experts. Nurs Older People, 21 (4), 16.
- Board, M., 2007. Education and Support Needs for the Community Matron Role. Primary Health Care, 17, 22-24.
- Board, M. and Symons, M., 2007. Community Matron Role Development Through Action Learning. Primary Health Care, 17, 19-22.
- Board, M. and Allen, S.C., 2006. A Simple Drawing Test to Identify Patients Who are Unlikely to be Able to Learn to Use an Inhaler. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 60, 510-513.
- Board, M. and Allen, S.C., 2006. Copying Overlapping Pentagons Predicts the Ability to Acquire Competence with a Turbohaler in Elderly Hospital In-Patients. Age and Ageing, 35, i71.
- Board, M. and Hemingway, A., 2014. The Context of Nursing Older People. Caring for Older People in Nursing. London: SAGE.
- Board, M., 2013. Physical Aspects of Ageing. Caring for Older People in Nursing.. SAGE.
- Board, M., phipps, L., mitchell, R. and Murphy, J., 2018. Evaluating the impact of the Virtual Reality app ‘A Walk Through Dementia’ on Year One Health Care Students Clinical Practice. In: UK Dementia Congress 2018 6-8 November 2018 Brighton UK.
- Board, M., mitchell, R., phipps, L. and Murphy, J., 2018. Evaluating the impact of the Virtual Reality app ‘A Walk Through Dementia’ on students learning and practice. In: The 28th Alzheimer Europe Conference 29-31 October 2018 Barcelona.
- Heward, M., Board, M., Spriggs, A., Blagden, D. and Murphy, J., 2018. ‘Walking in someone else’s shoes’: humanising dementia care through simulated learning. In: Humanising Caring, Health and Wellbeing Conference 21-22 June 2018 Bournemouth.
- Cox, C., Ellis-Hill, C., Board, M. and Vassallo, M., 2018. IDENtiFy Study: supporting the identity needs of frail older people. In: 2nd National Conference Assessment and Management of the Frail Older Person:in Secondary Care 3 October 2018 London, UK.
- Board, M., phipps, L., mitchell, R. and Murphy, J., 2018. Evaluating the impact of the Virtual Reality app ‘A Walk Through Dementia’ on student nurses’ practice who are caring for those living with dementia. In: British Society of Gerontology 2018 4-6 July 2018 Manchester.
- Cox, C., Ellis-Hill, C., Board, M. and Vassallo, M., 2018. “All the bright colours, I’ve never seen anything like that before. It makes you happy, cheers you up.”: exploration of the physical environment and positive sense of self in frailty. In: British Society of Gerontology 47th Annual Conference - Ageing in an Unequal World: Shaping Environments for the 21st Century. 4-6 July 2018 Manchester, UK.
- Board, M., Murphy, J., mitchell, R. and phipps, L., 2018. Seeing the Person Not the Diagnosis – a Humanised Approach to Dementia Care Education. In: Humanising Care, Health and Wellbeing Conference 2018 21-22 June 2018 Bournemouth University.
- Board, M. and Hundley, V., 2018. Starting at the beginning – developing clinical academic. In: NETNEP 2018 5-9 May 2018 Banff Canada.
- Board, M., Heward, M., Murphy, J., Spriggs, A. and phipps, L., 2018. Getting the message across – seeing the person not the diagnosis in dementia care education. In: NetNep 2018 5-9 May 2018 Banff Canada.
- Cox, C., Ellis-Hill, C., Board, M. and Vassallo, M., 2018. Constructs of a ‘frail identity’ within a Day Hospital setting. In: International Conference of frailty and Sarcopenia Research 27th Feb – 4th March ) 27 February-4 March 2018 Miami USA.
- Ashencaen Crabtree, S., Hemingway, A., Sudbury, S., Esteves, L., Hall, J., Board, M., Diaz, A., Hutchings, M., Jacey, H. et al., 2018. ‘Welcome to the Machine!’ Resisting isomorphic, masculinised corporatisation of Higher Education through feminist scholarship. In: DAKAM Gender and Women's Studies Conference 10-12 November 2018 Istanbul.
- Cox, C., Ellis-Hill, C., Board, M. and Vassalo, M., 2017. The aging 'frail' identity: creating positive identities with older people with frailty in a day hospital setting. In: BSG 2017 Annual Conference 5-7 July 2017 Swansea University, Swansea.
- Murphy, J., Heward, M., Board, M. and Spriggs, A., 2017. Integrating humanisation into practice: a dementia education and learning case study Humanising Caring. In: Health and Wellbeing Conference, 29-30 June 2017 Bournemouth,.
- Heward, M., Murphy, J., Board, M., Spriggs, A. and Emerson, L., 2017. Integrating humanisation into practice: a dementia education and learning case study. In: Humanising Caring, Health and Wellbeing Conference 29-30 June 2017 Bournemouth.
- Board, M., 2016. What can the life course tell us about the meaning of home for the baby boomers? In: The British Society of Gerontology 45th Annual Conference, University of Stirling 6-8 July 2016 Stirling University Scotland.
- Board, M., Pigott, L. and Olive, H., 2016. Symposium Better Together – A Day Hospitals Move Towards Integrated care. In: The British Society of Gerontology 45th Annual Conference 6-8 July 2016 Stirling University Scotland.
- Board, M. and Scammell, J., 2016. Humanised Approach to Interprofessional Dementia Education. In: British Society of Gerontology 6-8 July 2016 University of Stirling.
- Board, M., Clarke, S. and bryant, R., 2016. The Challenges and Opportunities for Integrated Care, Examples From the Coal Face! In: RCN Older People’s forum and BGS joint conference Multi-disciplinary team working in community settings 14 April 2016 Birmingham.
- Board, M., 2016. Creating a sense of home. In: RCN Older People’s forum and BGS joint conference Multi-disciplinary team working in community settings 14 April 2016 Birmingham.
- Board, M., 2015. THE FIVE SENSES OF HOME FRAMEWORK. In: IAGG Asia/Oceania 2015 Congress 19-22 October 2015 Thailand.
- Board, M., 2015. How Does The Life Course Influence The Meaning Of Home For Six Baby Boomers? In: IAGG-ER 2015 23-26 April 2015 Dublin.
- Thomas, L., Board, M., Heaslip, V. and Duckworth, V., 2017. Diversity, recruitment and retention in nurse education programmes: Catalyst Event Report. Edge Hill and Bournemouth University.
- Innes, A., Barker, S., Board, M., Fenge, L.A. and Heaslip, V., 2012. Review of HEDN Curriculum for Dementia Education (CDE).. HEDN.
- Heaslip, V. and Board, M, 2011. Evaluation of the Educational Package devised between Colten Care and Bournemouth University. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Board, M., 2014. Exploring the meaning of home for six baby boomers. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Living Well with Dementia
- Programme Leader Ba/MA Care of the Older Person. Unit lead for Physical health Needs of the Older Person and Living well with Dementia
- Physical Health needs of Older People
Profile of Teaching UG
- Exploring Adult Nursing
- Identifying Knowledge Practice
- Preparation for the Role of Registered Nurse
- Academic Advisor
- Dementia education Medipost (UK) Ltd Kingston Maurward
- Dementia in The Uk. Saaskatoon Canada, November 2012
Communcating with people with dementia, Bournemouth University, 16 Feb 2016 more
Year 2 Undergraduate Nursing programme Communication Unit
- A research evaluation of a virtual reality app ‘A Wall Through Dementia’ as a learning tool for dementia education and training (Alzheimers Research UK (ARUK), 05 Feb 2018). In Progress
- DEALTS 2 (Higher Education England, 05 Sep 2017). Completed
- Match-Funded Studentship 2017: Who’s responsible for feeding me? A study investigating organisational culture to improve nutritional care in hospitalised patients (Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospital NHS Trust, 04 Sep 2017). In Progress
- Match-Funded Studentship 2017: A study exploring the impact on older people’s health and wellbeing from compassionate communication during their admission and in-hospital stay (Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, 03 Sep 2017). In Progress
- An exploration of how a Day Hospital is meeting the needs of frail older people: a case study approach (Royal Bournemouth Hospital, 19 Sep 2016). In Progress
- Ageing Well Photo Exhibition (British Society of Gerontology, 25 Jun 2016). In Progress
- PDU Accreditation - Christchurch Day Hospital (Royal Bournemouth Hospital, 23 Feb 2015). In Progress
- POSADEM Joint Masters - Erasmus LLP (European Commission, 01 Sep 2013). Completed
- ESRC Festival of Social Science: Dementia in dorset - what does this mean for you? (Economic and Social Research Council, 17 Aug 2013). Completed
- Dementia Awareness Course (Royal Bournemouth Hospital, 01 May 2013). Completed
- Dementia programme (Gracewell Health Care, 16 Jan 2013). Completed
- Developing best practice in social care and support for adults with concurrent sight loss and dmentia within different housing setings (NIHR Health Services and Delivery Research (HS&DR) programme, 02 Jul 2012). Completed
- PDU Accreditation - Colten care (fernhill and The Aldbury (Colten Care LTD, 01 Oct 2011). Completed
- Christchurch Day Hospital, Consultant supporting staff prepare for PDU (2015-2016)
- Wiley and sons, Reviewer (2014-)
- Living Well with Dementia in a Residential Setting, Dementia Education. Gracewell Nursing Home Group, Vanessa Heaslip
- Living Well with Dementia in a Acute Hospital Setting, Dementia Education. Queen Alexanders Hospital Portsmouth
- Living Well with Dementia in a Acute Hospital Setting, Dementia Education. Dorset County Hospital
- Older Person Care Development Programme, Staff education and development around the needs of the older person. Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Living Well with Dementia in a Residential Setting, Staff education and development around the needs of the person with dmentia. Colten Care, Vanessa Heaslip
- MSc in Gerontology (Kings College London, 2004)
- BA (Hons) in Post Compulsary Education (Southampton University, 2000)
- Registered General Nurse (RGN) in Adult Nursing (Dorset School of Nursing, 1985)
- PhD in Exploring the Meaning of Home For Six baby Boomers (Bournemouth University Supervisors Dr Kip Jones and Dr Lee-Anne Fenge, 2015)
- British Geriatric Society, Member (2016-), http://www.bgs.org.uk/
- British Society of Gerontology, Member (2009-), http://www.britishgerontology.org/
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Register Adult Nurse ; Registered Teacher, https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/search-the-register/
- Royal College of Nursing, Member,