Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Anne has spent much of her professional life working in the field of public health, both in the United Kingdom and many European countries. She currently works as a senior academic at Bournemouth University, where she is actively involved in teaching health promotion to both undergraduates and post graduates. Her research interests are concerned with understanding and addressing the lived experiences of health inequalities and supporting health and well-being initiatives for student and registered nurses.
Academic appointments Senior Academic, Faculty of Health and Social Care, Bournemouth University, 2003 - present
- Mills, A., Ryden, J. and Knight, A., 2020. Juggling to find balance: Hearing the voices of undergraduate student nurses. British Journal of Nursing, 29 (15), 897-903.
- Mills, A., 2019. Helping students to self-care and enhance their health-promotion skills. British Journal of Nursing, 28 (13), 864-867.
- King, D., Tee, S., Falconer, L., Angell, C., Holley, D. and Mills, A., 2018. Virtual health education: Scaling practice to transform student learning: Using virtual reality learning environments in healthcare education to bridge the theory/practice gap and improve patient safety. Nurse Education Today, 71, 7-9.
- Heaslip, V., Scammell, J., Mills, A., Spriggs, A., Addis, A., Bond, M., Latchford, C., Warren, A., Borwell, J. and Tee, S., 2018. Service user engagement in healthcare education as a mechanism for value based recruitment: An evaluation study. Nurse Education Today, 60, 107-113.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., Mills, A.M. and Rees, K., 2017. Can nurses rise to the public health challenge? How a novel solution in nurse education can address this contemporary question. Nurse Education Today, 57, 65-67.
- Mills, A., Rees, K., Burdett, T. and Knight, A., 2020. Helping student nurses to self-care and develop their promoting health communication skills. In: 8th International Nurse Education Conference 26-29 April 2020 Stiges, Spain.
- Mills, A., Ryden, J. and Knight, A., 2020. The Future Nursing Workforce: their health and wellbeing. In: Joining Forces for Wellbeing 25 March 2020 Winchester, UK.
- Mills, A., Rees, K., Burdett, T. and Knight, A., 2020. Overcoming the Obstacles: Delivering a Brief Intervention Initiative (MECC) within an Undergraduate Nursing Programme. In: HEE - Joining Forces for Wellbeing 25 March 2020 Winchester.
- Mills, A., Turner Wilson, A. and Rees, K., 2018. A local initiative to promote the initiation of health conversation skills in student nurses. In: Wessex Public health Conference - making the Case for Investment in Prevention 22 March 2018 Southampton University.
- Rees, K., Mills, A. and Turner Wilson, A., 2018. Embedding Every Contact Counts (MECC) within a Nursing UG Programme. In: Population Health and Prevention Conference 7 March 2018 Leeds.
- Mills, A., 2018. Personal Best Stories: Journeys into and beyond volunteering. In: The Voluntary sector and Volunteering Research Conference 8-9 September 2015 Leeds Beckett University.
- Mills, A., Rees, K. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2016. Leaders for Justice in Future Public Health Practice. In: International Academic Forum 29 June-3 July 2016 Brighton.
- Heaslip, V., Spriggs, A, Mills, A., Scammell, J., Warren, A., Mercer, A., Addis, A., Bond, M., Latchford, C. and Borwell, J., 2016. "Humanising the Interview Process”; an Evaluation of Service User/Carers Contribution to Value Based Recruitment in a Pre-registration Adult Nursing Programme. In: NET/NEP 6th International Nurse Education Conference 3-6 April 2016 Brisbane, Australia.
- Spriggs, A., Heaslip, V., Mills, A., Warren, A. and Haynes, J., 2015. Service User/Carers contribution to Value Based Recruitment in a Pre-registration Adult Nursing Programme. In: NET; networking for education in healthcare 8-10 September 2015 Churchill College, Cambridge.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Health Promotion and Partnership Working
Profile of Teaching UG
- Health Promotion for the UG Nursing Programme
- Health Promotion for the UG Nutrition Programme
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing Throughout Life 18/19
- Embedding MECC into Nurse education (Health Education Wessex, 01 Sep 2019). In Progress
- Supporting Brief Intervention within Nurse Education (Burdett Trust for Nursing, 01 Sep 2019). Awarded
- Wessex Public Health Conference 2020, The future nursing workforce: their health and wellbeing., 25 Mar 2020, St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton, UK
- Wessex Public health Conference - making the Case for Investment in Prevention, A local initiative to promote the initiation of health conversation skills in student nurses, 22 Mar 2018, Soutrhampton University
- Population Health and Prevention Conference, Embedding Ever Contact Counts (MECC) within a Nursing UG Programme, 07 Mar 2018, Leeds
- International Networking for Healthcare Education Conference, Co-creation – Student Nurses join the Interview Panels for Adult Nursing., 06 Sep 2016, Churchill College, University of Cambridge
- World Health Promotion Conference, Promoting Health: Ensuring equity, sharing the benefits of volunteering., 22 May 2016, Curitiba. Brazil
- Health and Wellbeing through Occupation OSE 2015 Conference, Stories of Volunteering, 03 Sep 2015, Bournemouth University
- The Voluntary Sector and Volunteering Research Conference, Personal Best Volunteering Stories, 03 Sep 2015, Leeds Beckett University
- International Festival of Public Health UK, Promoting health: journeys into and beyond volunteering, 02 Jul 2015, Manchester University
- EdD in Personal Best Stories - a Biographical Approach (Southampton University, 2014)
- PGCE in Teaching (Southampton University, 2002)
- MSc in Health Education and Health Promotion (Southampton University, 2001)
- Registered Health Visitor in Health Visiting (Southampton University and NMC, 1985)
- Registered Midwife in Midwifery (General Nursing Council. Queen Charlotte's Hospital for Women, 1982)
- Dip HE in Nursing (London University, 1980)
- Registered Nurse in Adult Nursing (General Nursing Council. Salisbury District Hospital, 1979)
- Churchill Fellowship - Awarded a Churchill Fellowship to visit various health care settings and higher education organisations Canada to investigate the practical and theoretical health promotion and public health content of undergraduate and postgraduate nursing programmes and learn about health and wellbeing initiatives for student nurses and registered nurses in those settings. (Winston Churchill Memorial Trust, 2018)
- BSA Auto / Biography Study Group, Member, http://www.britsoc.co.uk/study-groups/autobiography
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Member,
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @annemmills16