Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Anne is a senior lecturer in the Public Health team at Bournemouth university, her teaching seeks to facilitate the development of public health and health promotion skills and knowledge for undergraduate, postgraduate students, healthcare workers and public health practitioners. Previously Anne worked in the NHS as a registered nurse, midwife, and health visitor and for an NGO in Europe, on a number of community public health projects. Anne's doctorate evaluated the use of volunteering as a public health tool for homeless people and for those with long term mental health and addiction problems. Prior to the pandemic she was awarded a Churchill Fellowship which enabled her to travel to Canada and work with colleagues in healthcare settings and higher education institutions learning about health and wellbeing initiatives for healthcare staff and reviewing the public health content of Baccalaureate degrees for nurses. As a member of the Healthy Universities Network and the BU Wellbeing Committee, Anne advocates embedding health in all university policies and work practices...
Anne's current research, teaching and external work with stakeholders is concerned with equipping health care staff with the skills and knowledge to effectively engage in health enhancing conversations.
Senior Academic, Faculty of Health and Social Care, Bournemouth University, 2003 - presentmore
- Mills, A., 2022. Collaboration between universities and nursing placement providers is essential to ensure the well-being of the future nursing workforce. Evidence-based nursing, 25 (3), 92.
- Mills, A., 2022. Education curricula should support the development of environmentally literate nurses. Evidence-Based Nursing, 25 (3), 91.
- Mills, A., 2022. Depression in young adulthood is strongly linked to childhood and adolescent social environment. Evidence-Based Nursing.
- Mills, A., Knight, A. and Burdett, T., 2021. Supporting student nurses to develop healthy conversation skills. British Journal of Community Nursing, 26 (11), 554-559.
- Mills, A., Ryden, J. and Knight, A., 2020. Juggling to find balance: Hearing the voices of undergraduate student nurses. British Journal of Nursing, 29 (15), 897-903.
- Mills, A., 2019. Helping students to self-care and enhance their health-promotion skills. British Journal of Nursing, 28 (13), 864-867.
- King, D., Tee, S., Falconer, L., Angell, C., Holley, D. and Mills, A., 2018. Virtual health education: Scaling practice to transform student learning: Using virtual reality learning environments in healthcare education to bridge the theory/practice gap and improve patient safety. Nurse Education Today, 71, 7-9.
- Heaslip, V., Scammell, J., Mills, A., Spriggs, A., Addis, A., Bond, M., Latchford, C., Warren, A., Borwell, J. and Tee, S., 2018. Service user engagement in healthcare education as a mechanism for value based recruitment: An evaluation study. Nurse Education Today, 60, 107-113.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., Mills, A.M. and Rees, K., 2017. Can nurses rise to the public health challenge? How a novel solution in nurse education can address this contemporary question. Nurse Education Today, 57, 65-67.
- Mills, A., Knight, A.N.D. and Burdett, T., 2021. Supporting students: Develop healthy conversation skills. In: NET 1-3 September 2021 Online.
- Mills, A., Rees, K., Burdett, T. and Knight, A., 2020. Helping student nurses to self-care and develop their promoting health communication skills. In: 8th International Nurse Education Conference 26-29 April 2020 Stiges, Spain.
- Mills, A., Ryden, J. and Knight, A., 2020. The Future Nursing Workforce: their health and wellbeing. In: Joining Forces for Wellbeing 25 March 2020 Winchester, UK.
- Mills, A., Rees, K., Burdett, T. and Knight, A., 2020. Overcoming the Obstacles: Delivering a Brief Intervention Initiative (MECC) within an Undergraduate Nursing Programme. In: HEE - Joining Forces for Wellbeing 25 March 2020 Winchester.
- Mills, A., Turner Wilson, A. and Rees, K., 2018. A local initiative to promote the initiation of health conversation skills in student nurses. In: Wessex Public health Conference - making the Case for Investment in Prevention 22 March 2018 Southampton University.
- Rees, K., Mills, A. and Turner Wilson, A., 2018. Embedding Every Contact Counts (MECC) within a Nursing UG Programme. In: Population Health and Prevention Conference 7 March 2018 Leeds.
- Mills, A., 2018. Personal Best Stories: Journeys into and beyond volunteering. In: The Voluntary sector and Volunteering Research Conference 8-9 September 2015 Leeds Beckett University.
- Mills, A., Rees, K. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2016. Leaders for Justice in Future Public Health Practice. In: International Academic Forum 29 June-3 July 2016 Brighton.
- Heaslip, V., Spriggs, A, Mills, A., Scammell, J., Warren, A., Mercer, A., Addis, A., Bond, M., Latchford, C. and Borwell, J., 2016. "Humanising the Interview Process”; an Evaluation of Service User/Carers Contribution to Value Based Recruitment in a Pre-registration Adult Nursing Programme. In: NET/NEP 6th International Nurse Education Conference 3-6 April 2016 Brisbane, Australia.
- Spriggs, A., Heaslip, V., Mills, A., Warren, A. and Haynes, J., 2015. Service User/Carers contribution to Value Based Recruitment in a Pre-registration Adult Nursing Programme. In: NET; networking for education in healthcare 8-10 September 2015 Churchill College, Cambridge.
- Gál, A. and Mills, A., 2011. Three Query Locally Decodable Codes with Higher Correctness Require Exponential Length. STACS, 9, 673-684 Schloss Dagstuhl - Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik.
- Sarah Morton. Nurse Volunteering in the Covid 19 Pandemic, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Health Promotion and Partnership Working
Profile of Teaching UG
- Health Promotion for the UG Nursing Programme
- Health Promotion for the UG Nutrition Programme
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing Throughout Life 18/19
- Embedding MECC into Nurse education (Health Education Wessex, 01 Sep 2019). In Progress
- Supporting Brief Intervention within Nurse Education (Burdett Trust for Nursing, 01 Sep 2019). Awarded
- NET, Supporting students: Developing healthy conversation skills., 01 Sep 2021, Online
- NET, Health and wellbeing experiences of first year student nurses: finding equilibrium to succeed, 01 Sep 2021, Online
- Wessex Public Health Conference 2020, The future nursing workforce: their health and wellbeing., 25 Mar 2020, St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton, UK
- Wessex Public health Conference - making the Case for Investment in Prevention, A local initiative to promote the initiation of health conversation skills in student nurses, 22 Mar 2018, Soutrhampton University
- Population Health and Prevention Conference, Embedding Ever Contact Counts (MECC) within a Nursing UG Programme, 07 Mar 2018, Leeds
- International Networking for Healthcare Education Conference, Co-creation – Student Nurses join the Interview Panels for Adult Nursing., 06 Sep 2016, Churchill College, University of Cambridge
- World Health Promotion Conference, Promoting Health: Ensuring equity, sharing the benefits of volunteering., 22 May 2016, Curitiba. Brazil
- Health and Wellbeing through Occupation OSE 2015 Conference, Stories of Volunteering, 03 Sep 2015, Bournemouth University
- The Voluntary Sector and Volunteering Research Conference, Personal Best Volunteering Stories, 03 Sep 2015, Leeds Beckett University
- International Festival of Public Health UK, Promoting health: journeys into and beyond volunteering, 02 Jul 2015, Manchester University
- EdD in Personal Best Stories - a Biographical Approach (Southampton University, 2014)
- PGCE in Teaching (Southampton University, 2002)
- MSc in Health Education and Health Promotion (Southampton University, 2001)
- Registered Health Visitor in Health Visiting (Southampton University and NMC, 1985)
- Registered Midwife in Midwifery (General Nursing Council. Queen Charlotte's Hospital for Women, 1982)
- Dip HE in Nursing (London University, 1980)
- Registered Nurse in Adult Nursing (General Nursing Council. Salisbury District Hospital, 1979)
- Churchill Fellowship - Awarded a Churchill Fellowship to visit various health care settings and higher education organisations Canada to investigate the practical and theoretical health promotion and public health content of undergraduate and postgraduate nursing programmes and learn about health and wellbeing initiatives for student nurses and registered nurses in those settings. (Winston Churchill Memorial Trust, 2018)
- BSA Auto / Biography Study Group, Member, http://www.britsoc.co.uk/study-groups/autobiography
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Member,
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @annemmills16