Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a senior lecturer in public health here at Bournemouth University. I graduated with a Bachelors degree and then a Masters from the University of London. I worked as a senior specialist nurse in the field of public health for the UK National Health Service, Dorset Health Authority, before moving into my first academic post at the University of Southampton. I came to Bournemouth University 14 years ago during which time I completed my PhD. My expertise lies in health protection, prevention and promotion in both past and present societies. My current research is concerned with the transient nature of wellbeing from national and international perspectives, particularly in relation to green spaces and woodland areas. In addition I have an interest in health and equity, and understandings of health through the lens of material culture.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Diabetes management outcomes among Black-Africans compared to the Whites and South Asians in Western Countries: A mixed-methods review. Journal of Global health Report.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Teaching ‘Networking with Others’: A Reflective Account. Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice, 6 (2), 76-81.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Fisher, R., Crossen-White, H. and Hemingway, A., 2018. Interdisciplinary working relationships of health care staff in late 20th century Britain: A cultural study of practices from the past and implications for the present. IAFOR Journal of Cultural Studies, 3 (2), 17-28.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Diabetes management outcome among Black-Africans compared to other ethnic groups in Western countries: A mixed-methods systematic review. Prospero.
- Crossen-White, H., 2017. Young peoples' views of online historical archives. Lecture Notes of Computer Science, 10345, 290-293.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., Mills, A.M. and Rees, K., 2017. Can nurses rise to the public health challenge? How a novel solution in nurse education can address this contemporary question. Nurse Education Today, 57, 65-67.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., Keeley, S., Brown, P., Jordan, G. and Wood, C., 2013. Festival of Learning showcases the History of Nursing. The Bulletin of the UK Association for the History of Nursing, 2, 52.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2012. Webwise. Nurs Stand, 27 (3), 28.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., 2011. Romano-British Morticians. British Institute of Funeral Directors Journal, 3, 46.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L. and Salter, M.W., 2002. An outbreak of E.coli O157 within a prison. British Journal of Infection Control, 3, 10-13.
- Bradley, S.J., Kaufmann, M.E., Happy, C., Ghori, S., Turner-Wilson, A.L. and Scott, G.M., 2002. The epidemiology of glycopeptide-resistant enterococci on a haematology unit – analysis by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. Epidemiology and Infection, 129, 57-64.
- Bradley, S.J., Turner-Wilson, A.L., Allen, M.M., Sher, H.A., Goldstone, A.H. and Scott, G.M., 1999. The control of hyperendemic glycopeptide-resistant Enterococcus spp. on a haematology unit by changing antibiotic usage. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 43, 261-266.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., 2007. The appearance of health. The symbolic construction of the healthy body through urban cemetery evidence from late Iron Age and early Roman Britain. In: Croxford, B., Ray, N., Roth, R. and White, N., eds. TRAC 2006 : proceedings of the sixteenth annual Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference which took place at the University of Cambridge, 24-25 March 2006. Oxford: Oxbow Books, 103-114.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Crossen-White, H., Hewitt-Taylor, J. and Hemingway, A., 2018. Japanese Ancient Arts and Shinrin-Yoku. In: The European Conference on Arts and Humanities 2018 9 July-10 August 2018 Brighton. IAFOR, 37.
- Alloh, F., Heminway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Understanding lifestyle contribution in the management of type 2 diabetes among African immigrants living in the UK. In: 1st World Congress on Migration, Ethnicity, Race and Health 16-19 May 2018 Edinburgh. 177-178.
- Crossen-White, H. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2017. 'I've never really been interested in history before but...' Young peoples; views of online digital archives. In: Edutainment 2017 International conference on E- learning and gaming technology 26-28 June 2017 Bournemouth.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Fisher, R., Crossen-White, H., Hemingway, A. and Mellor, S., 2017. Family Matters: Insights Into Late Twentieth Century Interdisciplinary Working Practices From Retired British Healthcare Professionals, Past Ideas and Modern Perspectives. In: The Asian Conference on Cultural Studies 1-4 June 2017 Kobe , Japan.
- Mills, A., Rees, K. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2016. Leaders for Justice in Future Public Health Practice. In: International Academic Forum 29 June-3 July 2016 Brighton.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2013. The Ordinary and the Extraordinary: Objects of the Self within the Clinical Environment. In: Well-Being Conference 2013 24-25 July 2013 Birmingham City University.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2013. Health and Wellbeing in the Roman World. In: Festival of Learning 3-14 June 2013 Talbot Campus, Bournemouth University.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2012. The Symbolic Construction of the Healthy Self through the Material Culture in late Iron Age and Roman Britain. In: Health and Well-Being Research Community Conference 19 September 2012 School of Health and Social Care, Bournemouth University.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., 2011. Objects as Learning Objects in Healthcare. In: 22nd International Networking for Education in Healthcare Conference 6-8 September 2011 Churchill College, University of Cambridge , UK.
- Andrea Lacey. "Student Nurses Clinical Experiences"
- Pippa Hillen. "What Attitudes do Newly Qualified Adult Field Nurses have towards their Role in Public Health?"
- Folashade Alloh. "Significance of Lifestyle Factors on Development of Type 2 Diabetes among Black Africans in the UK"
- Jo Taylor. Experiences concerning end of Life Care for their Loved Ones: A Narrative Analysis
Profile of Teaching PG
- Lead - Dissertations, MSc Public Health
- Health Promotion and Public Health, Return to Nursing
- Lead - Exploring and Evaluating Evidence, MSc Public Health
- Lead - Developing a Study Proposal, MSc Public Health
Profile of Teaching UG
- Lead - Promoting Health and Wellbeing, BSc Clinical Exercise Science
- Public Health Unit, BSc Adult Nursing
- Lead - Promoting Health and Wellbeing, BSc Nutrition
- Lead - Promoting Health and Wellbeing, BSc Occupational Therapy
- What factors contribute to a sense of wellbeing for adults who have undertaken guided immersive forest bathing (shinrin yoku) in locations within Dorset, UK (Pump Priming Award, 12 Feb 2019). In Progress
- Protecting Hyde’s Heath (Heritage Lottery Fund, 15 Jan 2019). In Progress
- Preliminary market consultation to public health Dorset with their development of a procurement for Integrated 0 – 19 public health nursing services (health visiting / school nursing). (Dorset Public Health, 13 Sep 2018). Completed
- Perceptions of the public concerning the use and value of nature-based health interventions as a therapeutic option offered by primary care practitioners. (BU FHSS Seedcorn, 01 Mar 2017). Completed
- Improving collaborative working between correctional and mental health services (EU Commission Horizon2020 MCA RISE, 01 Feb 2017). In Progress
- Young people’s experiences of accessing digital online archives (BU HSS Seedcorn Funding, 01 Mar 2016). Completed
- Mapping community food programs that support people to access and use locally produced fresh food in Bournemouth and Poole (BU's Grant Academy Small Grant Scheme, 02 Mar 2015). Completed
- Interactive digital archive related to health and wellbeing within the Borough of Poole. (BU Fusion Bid, 06 Jan 2015). Completed
- The object of health: Medical-type items, professional roles, working boundaries and interdisciplinary practices in 20th century healthcare (BU FHSS Seedcorn, 01 Jun 2012). Completed
- Swansea University, External Examiner for MSc Public Health (2019-)
- Brunel University, External Examiner for PhD - Michell Carter (2018-)
- National Institute for Health Research, Reviewer (2017-), https://www.nihr.ac.uk/
- IAFOR, Editorial Board IAFOR Journal of Social Sciences (2017-), https://iafor.org/journal/iafor-journal-of-the-social-sciences/editors/
- SRH University Heidelberg, Germany, International Teaching on Global Public Health (2017-)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- ESRC Festival of Social Science Using the Natural Environment to Improve Health and Wellbeing
- Preliminary Market Consultation to Public Health Dorset with their development of a procurement for Integrated 0 – 19 Public Health Nursing Services (Health Visiting / School Nursing).
- Preview of an exhibition at Poole Museum attended by the Mayor of Poole, Councillor Lindsay Wilson and Councillor Mohan Lyengar Cabinet Member for Economy, Culture and Learning and Community Engagement. The exhibition was entitled "Her story: Tales of Poole Women Past and Present" and was inspired by International Women's Day and featured two women associated with Bournemouth University.
- ESRC Festival of Social Science Me and My Green Space - Young People's Perspectives of the Natural Environment
- Life by the River: A Healthier Future - BU Festival of Learning
- Life by the River - Past and Present - BU Festival of Learning
- MA in Archaeology (University of London, 1997)
- BA (Hons) in Humanities (History and Archaeology) (University of London, 1995)
- PGCE in Education (Bournemouth University, 2002)
- RGN in Nurse (Sefton School of Nursing, 1990)
- Adv Dip in Infection Control (Royal College of Nursing, 1997)
- RM in Midwifery (Herts College of Health Care Studies, 1992)
- PhD in Healthiness and Archaeology (Bournemouth University, 2010)