Dr Angela Turner-Wilson
- aturnerwilson at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Deputy Head Of Department Of Medical Sciences And Public Health
- Bournemouth Gateway Building BG117, St Pauls Lane, Bournemouth, BH8 8GP
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
As the Lead for Internationalisation within the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences Angela supports the strategic planning and operational aspects of globalisation in this setting. She also uses her leadership skills in her role as a Deputy Head of Department for Medical Science and Public Health. With 15+ years of experience in academia she has a good understanding of higher education, research, and the role of professional practices within a fused model of working. Angela achieved her first degree and post-graduate master’s qualifications at the University of London before moving into lecturing, first at the University of Southampton and then at Bournemouth University where she completed her PhD. With a broad social science background, Angela’s interests lie within multi-sited ethnography, social justice, and the transient nature of wellbeing, particularly in relation to green spaces and woodland areas. Angela’s work considers health as a social construct set against international geo-political landscapes... She has a keen interest in communication and media and has expertise in material culture. Angela has collaborated with local and international colleagues on research grants, including a Horizon 2020 project funded by the European Union. Alongside her teaching she also supervises MSc and PhD students.more
- Uchendu, I., Hewitt-Taylor, J., Turner-Wilson, A. and Nwakasi, C., 2021. Knowledge, attitudes, and perceptions about cervical cancer, and the uptake of cervical cancer screening in Nigeria: An integrative review. Scientific African, 14.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2021. The role of finding out in type 2 diabetes management among west-african immigrants living in the UK. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18 (11).
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2019. Systematic review of diabetes management among black African immigrants, white and South Asian populations. Journal of Global Health Reports, 3.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2019. Exploring the experiences of west African immigrants living with type 2 diabetes in the UK. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16 (19).
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Teaching ‘Networking with Others’: A Reflective Account. Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice, 6 (2), 76-81.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Fisher, R., Crossen-White, H. and Hemingway, A., 2018. Interdisciplinary working relationships of health care staff in late 20th century Britain: A cultural study of practices from the past and implications for the present. IAFOR Journal of Cultural Studies, 3 (2), 17-28.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Diabetes management outcome among Black-Africans compared to other ethnic groups in Western countries: A mixed-methods systematic review. Prospero.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., Mills, A.M. and Rees, K., 2017. Can nurses rise to the public health challenge? How a novel solution in nurse education can address this contemporary question. Nurse Education Today, 57, 65-67.
- Crossen-White, H. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2017. Young Peoples’ Views of Online Historical Archives. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 10345 LNCS, 290-293.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., Keeley, S., Brown, P., Jordan, G. and Wood, C., 2013. Festival of Learning showcases the History of Nursing. The Bulletin of the UK Association for the History of Nursing, 2, 52.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2012. Webwise. Nurs Stand, 27 (3), 28.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., 2011. Romano-British Morticians. British Institute of Funeral Directors Journal, 3, 46.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L. and Salter, M.W., 2002. An outbreak of E.coli O157 within a prison. British Journal of Infection Control, 3, 10-13.
- Bradley, S.J., Kaufmann, M.E., Happy, C., Ghori, S., Turner-Wilson, A.L. and Scott, G.M., 2002. The epidemiology of glycopeptide-resistant enterococci on a haematology unit – analysis by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. Epidemiology and Infection, 129, 57-64.
- Bradley, S.J., Turner-Wilson, A.L., Allen, M.M., Sher, H.A., Goldstone, A.H. and Scott, G.M., 1999. The control of hyperendemic glycopeptide-resistant Enterococcus spp. on a haematology unit by changing antibiotic usage. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 43, 261-266.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Dearborn, S. and Bullen, C., 2021. Avenues of Opportunity: Journeys of Activities through Third Sector Organisations. In: Hean, S., Johnsen, B., Kloetzer, L. and Kajamaa, A., eds. Improving Interagency Collaboration, Innovation and Learning in Criminal Justice Systems. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., 2007. The appearance of health. The symbolic construction of the healthy body through urban cemetery evidence from late Iron Age and early Roman Britain. In: Croxford, B., Ray, N., Roth, R. and White, N., eds. TRAC 2006 : proceedings of the sixteenth annual Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference which took place at the University of Cambridge, 24-25 March 2006. Oxford: Oxbow Books, 103-114.
- Turner-Wilson, A. and Crossen-White, H., 2021. Well-being in the urban settings: A Discussion on Forest Bathing (shinrin-yoku) in towns. In: Royal Geographical Society -IBG Annual International Conference 2021 Borders, Borderlands and Bordering 31 August-3 September 2021 Virtual Event.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Theoretical explanation for type 2 diabetes management among West-African immigrants living in the UK. In: International conference of global health and epidemiology 20-23 August 2018 Wolverhampton, UK.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Grounded Theory of diabetes management among West Africans living with diabetes in the UK. In: International conference on Interdisciplinary Social Sciences 25-27 July 2018 Granada, Spain. Thirteenth International Conference on Interdisciplinary Social Sciences Autonomy in Times of Turmoil. What to make of the Social?.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Crossen-White, H., Hewitt-Taylor, J. and Hemingway, A., 2018. Japanese Ancient Arts and Shinrin-Yoku. In: The European Conference on Arts and Humanities 2018 9 July-10 August 2018 Brighton. Fearful Futures - Programme and Abstract Book, 37 IAFOR.
- Alloh, F., Heminway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Understanding lifestyle contribution in the management of type 2 diabetes among African immigrants living in the UK. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH, 28, 177-178.
- Mills, A., Turner Wilson, A. and Rees, K., 2018. A local initiative to promote the initiation of health conversation skills in student nurses. In: Wessex Public health Conference - making the Case for Investment in Prevention 22 March 2018 Southampton University.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2018. Striving to be healthy: Experience of diabetes management among African immigrants living in the UK. In: Postgraduate Researchers' Conference 20 March 2018 Bournemouth University.
- Rees, K., Mills, A. and Turner Wilson, A., 2018. Embedding Every Contact Counts (MECC) within a Nursing UG Programme. In: Population Health and Prevention Conference 7 March 2018 Leeds.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2017. Contribution of lifestyle factors in the management of type 2 diabetes among African immigrants in the UK. In: The 10th Conference of the International Society for Health and Human Rights 26-29 September 2017 Novi Sad, Serbia.
- Alloh, F., Hemingway, A. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2017. Contributing lifestyle factors associated with type 2 diabetes among African immigrants in the UK: A pilot study findings. In: PhD Symposium at Liverpool John Moore's University 4-5 July 2017 Liverpool.
- Crossen-White, H. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2017. 'I've never really been interested in history before but...' Young peoples; views of online digital archives. In: Edutainment 2017 International conference on E- learning and gaming technology 26-28 June 2017 Bournemouth.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Fisher, R., Crossen-White, H., Hemingway, A. and Mellor, S., 2017. Family Matters: Insights Into Late Twentieth Century Interdisciplinary Working Practices From Retired British Healthcare Professionals, Past Ideas and Modern Perspectives. In: The Asian Conference on Cultural Studies 1-4 June 2017 Kobe , Japan.
- Mills, A., Rees, K. and Turner-Wilson, A., 2016. Leaders for Justice in Future Public Health Practice. In: International Academic Forum 29 June-3 July 2016 Brighton.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2013. The Ordinary and the Extraordinary: Objects of the Self within the Clinical Environment. In: Well-Being Conference 2013 24-25 July 2013 Birmingham City University.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2013. Health and Wellbeing in the Roman World. In: Festival of Learning 3-14 June 2013 Talbot Campus, Bournemouth University.
- Turner-Wilson, A., 2012. The Symbolic Construction of the Healthy Self through the Material Culture in late Iron Age and Roman Britain. In: Health and Wellbeing through Occupation, European Health Science Conference 3-4 September 2015 Bournemouth University.
- Turner-Wilson, A.L., 2011. Objects as Learning Objects in Healthcare. In: 22nd International Networking for Education in Healthcare Conference 6-8 September 2011 Churchill College, University of Cambridge , UK.
- Andrea Lacey. "Student Nurses Clinical Experiences"
- Folashade Alloh. "Significance of Lifestyle Factors on Development of Type 2 Diabetes among Black Africans in the UK"
- Well-being in the communities in the aging era: Playable city and gamification in the urban settings (The Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation UK, London, 01 Jul 2022). In Progress
- Envisioning of liquid consumption of digitalised arts: Innovation, creativeness, and transformation of museums (Japanese Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS), 01 Aug 2021). In Progress
- What factors contribute to a sense of wellbeing for adults who have undertaken guided immersive forest bathing (shinrin yoku) in locations within Dorset, UK (Pump Priming Award, 12 Feb 2019). Completed
- Preliminary market consultation to public health Dorset with their development of a procurement for Integrated 0 – 19 public health nursing services (health visiting / school nursing). (Dorset Public Health, 13 Sep 2018). Completed
- Perceptions of the public concerning the use and value of nature-based health interventions as a therapeutic option offered by primary care practitioners. (BU FHSS Seedcorn, 01 Mar 2017). Completed
- Improving collaborative working between correctional and mental health services (EU Commission Horizon2020 MCA RISE, 01 Feb 2017). In Progress
- Young people’s experiences of accessing digital online archives (BU HSS Seedcorn Funding, 01 Mar 2016). Completed
- Mapping community food programs that support people to access and use locally produced fresh food in Bournemouth and Poole (BU's Grant Academy Small Grant Scheme, 02 Mar 2015). Completed
- Interactive digital archive related to health and wellbeing within the Borough of Poole. (BU Fusion Bid, 06 Jan 2015). Completed
- The object of health: Medical-type items, professional roles, working boundaries and interdisciplinary practices in 20th century healthcare (BU FHSS Seedcorn, 01 Jun 2012). Completed
- Swansea University, External Examiner for MSc Public Health (2019-)
- Brunel University, External Examiner for PhD - Michell Carter (2018)
- National Institute for Health Research, Reviewer (2017-), https://www.nihr.ac.uk/
- IAFOR, Editorial Board IAFOR Journal of Social Sciences (2017-), https://iafor.org/journal/iafor-journal-of-the-social-sciences/editors/
- SRH University Heidelberg, Germany, International Teaching on Global Public Health (2017)
- University of West London, External Revalidation MSc Public Health-Wellbeing (2015-)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Lecture (07 Nov 2018)
- Preliminary Market Consultation to Public Health Dorset with their development of a procurement for Integrated 0 – 19 Public Health Nursing Services (Health Visiting / School Nursing). (13 Sep 2018)
- Preview of an exhibition on the greatest achievements of local women at Poole Museum (19 Jan 2018)
- ESRC Festival of Social Science (05 Nov 2017)
- Poster Presentation (09 Jul 2017)
- Poster Presentation and Workshop (26 Jul 2016)
- Talk (11 Jul 2016)
- New Perspectives for Harmonised Communities: nature, safety, and well-being, 24 Oct 2022, Japan Online
- Coffee Sandwich Club ‘How we can contribute to a collaborative society that embraces diversity’ #BreakTheBias #InternationalWomen’sDay, Keynote Speaker: Dr Angela Turner-Wilson, 08 Mar 2022, BU
- PhD in Healthiness and Archaeology (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- PGCE in Education (Bournemouth University, 2002)
- Adv Dip in Infection Control (Royal College of Nursing, 1997)
- MA in Archaeology (University of London, 1997)
- BA (Hons) in Humanities (History and Archaeology) (University of London, 1995)
- RM in Midwifery (Herts College of Health Care Studies, 1992)
- RGN in Nurse (Sefton School of Nursing, 1990)
- Faculty of Public Health, Associate (2017-), http://www.fph.org.uk/
- The Japan Society, Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Adult, https://www.nmc.org.uk/
- The Royal Society for Public Health, Fellow,