Professor Ann Hemingway
- 01202 962796
- aheming at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Professor of Public Health and Wellbeing
- Bournemouth House B129, 19 Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH1 3LH
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
My post focuses on research and enterprise in the field of public health with a specific focus on inequities in health. I am a registered nurse with a PhD and am currently public health lead for research and enterprise within the Centre for Practice Development and the Centre for Wellbeing and Quality of Life.
VeggiEAT eu funded project 1.6 million euros co investigator current Reflections on changes in commissioning of health care and support current £4,000 primary investigator current Developing a model of change in reoffending behaviour facilitated by equine assisted learning with young offenders £5,000 primary investigator current
Staying Active and Independent for Longer (SAIL) is a EU funded three and a half year study to develop eleven social innovations across three countries at BU Prof AnnHemingway, Prof Adele Ladkin and Dr Holly Crossen White are running the international feasibility study for this multi million pound project.
Further information - https://research.bournemouth.ac.uk/project/sail-staying-active-and-independent-for-longer/
Arts Link Fizz Sherborne is a project funded through the Big Lottery focused on improving the wellbeing of local people through dance and the arts. Here at BU we are undertaking the evaluation over four years involved are Dr Liz Norton, Prof Ann Hemingway and Dr Caroline Elllis Hill.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Fisher, R., Crossen-White, H. and Hemingway, A., 2018. Interdisciplinary working relationships of health care staff in late 20th century Britain: A cultural study of practices from the past and implications for the present. IAFOR.
- Crossen-White, H., Norton, E. and Hemingway, A., 2018. Using the arts: Learning from a community consultation on health and wellbeing. British Journal of Healthcare Management.
- Bishop, L., Hemingway, A. and Ashencaen Crabtree, S., 2018. Lifestyle Coaching for Mental Health Difficulties: Scoping Review. Journal of Public Mental Health.
- Effah, A., Ersser, S.J. and Hemingway, A., 2017. Support needs of people living with Mycobacterium ulcerans (Buruli ulcer) disease in a Ghana rural community: a grounded theory study. International Journal of Dermatology, 56 (12), 1432-1437.
- Appleton, K.M., Dinnella, C., Spinelli, S., Morizet, D., Saulais, L., Hemingway, A., Monteleone, E., Depezay, L., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A. and Hartwell, H., 2017. Consumption of a high quantity and a wide variety of vegetables are predicted by different food choice motives in older adults from France, Italy and the UK. Nutrients, 9 (9).
- Wall, S., Hemingway, A. and Curtin, S., 2017. Engaging with a healthy tourism “offer”: strategies to improve place perceptions. Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes.
- Hartwell, H., page, S., ladkin, A., hemingway, A. and fyall, A., 2017. Case Study: Wellness, tourism and small business development in a UK coastal resort: Public engagement in practice. Tourism Management.
- Hemingway, A., Ellis-Hill, C. and Norton, E., 2016. What does care farming provide for clients? The views of care farm staff. NJAS - Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences, 79, 23-29.
- North, S., Hemingway, A., Maclean, A., Laurie, H. and Ellis Hill, C., 2016. Evaluating a natural horsemanship program in relation to the ISES first principles of horse training. Journal of Veterinary Behavior Clinical Applications and Research, 15 (September–October), 87.
- Harding, A.J.E., Parker, J., Hean, S. and Hemingway, A., 2016. Efficacy of Telephone Information and Advice on Welfare: the Need for Realist Evaluation. Social Policy and Society, 1-21.
- Hartwell, H., Fyall, A., Willis, C., Page, S., Ladkin, A. and Hemingway, A., 2016. Progress in tourism and destination wellbeing research. Current Issues in Tourism, 1-63.
- Pyke, S., Hartwell, H., Blake, A. and Hemingway, A., 2016. Exploring well-being as a tourism product resource. Tourism Management, 55, 94-105.
- Price,, S., Viglia, G., Hartwell, H., Hemingway, A., Chapleo, C., Appleton, K., Saulais,, L., Mavridis,, I. and Perez-Cueto,, F., 2016. What are we eating? Consumer information requirement within a workplace canteen. Food Quality and Preference, 53, 39-46.
- Bevan, A., Hemingway, A., Appleton, K.M., Hartwell, H., Magnante, O., Perez-Cueto, A., Monteleone, E., Giboreau, A. and Depezay, L., 2016. Familiarity and liking of vegetables: Is it important for vegetable consumption? British Journal of School Nursing, 11 (3), 125-130.
- Hartwell, H., Hemingway, A. and Chapleo, C., 2016. Workplace foodservice; perception of quality and trust. APPETITE, 97, 169-175.
- Appleton, K.M., Hemingway, A., Saulais, L., Dinnella, C., Monteleone, E., Depezay, L., Morizet, D., Perez‑Cueto, F.J.A., Bevan, A. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Increasing vegetable intakes: rationale and systematic review of published interventions. European Journal of Nutrition.
- Phillips, J., Cooper, K., Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Heaslip, V., White, S., Donaldson, I., Jack, E., Hemingway, A. and Harding, A., 2015. An exploration of the perceptions of caring held by students entering nursing programmes in the United Kingdom: A longitudinal qualitative study phase 1. Nurse Education in Practice, 15 (6), 403-408.
- Gleeson, J., Hemingway, A. and Rosser, E., 2015. To What Extent Do Health Visitors and School Nurses Have a Voice in the Policy Process? community practitioner.
- Hemingway, A., Meeks, R. and Ellis-Hill, C., 2015. An exploration of an equine facilitated intervention with young offenders. Society and Animals.
- Hemingway, A., Norton, L. and Aarts, C., 2015. Principles of Lifeworld Led Public Health Practice in the UK and Sweden: Reducing Health Inequalities. Nursing Research and Practice, 2015.
- Hemingway, A., 2014. Public health: a job for midwives. British journal of midwifery.
- Crabbe, K. and Hemingway, A., 2014. Public health and wellbeing: A matter for the midwife? British Journal of Midwifery, 22 (9), 634-640.
- Hemingway, A., 2014. The Cochrane Collaboration 20th Anniversary. Internet Journal of Advanced Nursing Practice, 13 (1), 1.
- pacheco, R., hartwell, H., bevan, A. and hemingway a, 2014. An Exploration of the Fruit and Vegetable ‘Foodscape’ in a University Setting for staff: A Preliminary Study. British Food Journal.
- Hemingway, A., 2013. What is nursing care and who owns it? Nursing Times, 109 (6), 16-17.
- Hemingway, A., fyall, A. and hartwell, H., 2013. Branding & Marketing of Tourism Destination in relation to Public Health. Tourism Tribune, 28 (2), 16-19.
- Hemingway, A., Aarts, C., Koskinen, L., Campbell, B. and Chassé, F., 2013. A European Union and Canadian Review of Public Health Nursing Preparation and Practice. Public Health Nursing, 30 (1), 58-69.
- Hemingway, A. and Jack, E., 2013. Reducing social isolation and promoting well being in older people. Quality in Ageing and Older Adults, 14 (1), 25-35.
- Hartwell, H., Hemingway, A. and Fyall, A., 2012. Tourism engaging with the public health agenda: can we promote 'wellville' as a destination of choice? Public health, 126 (12), 1072-1074.
- Hemingway, A., 2012. Humanity respect and dignity are the foundations of practice. Nursing times, 108 (40), 11-12.
- Hemingway, A., scammell, J. and heaslip, V., 2012. Humanising nursing care: a theoretical model. Nursing Times, 108 (40), 26-27.
- Hemingway, A., 2012. Humanity, respect and dignity are the foundations of practice. Nursing Times, 108 (40), 11.
- Hemingway, A., 2012. Can humanization theory contribute to the philosophical debate in public health? Public Health, 126 (5), 448-453.
- Hemingway, A., 2012. 60 seconds with Ann Hemingway. Nursing times, 108 (13), 32.
- Hartwell, H., Hemingway, A., Fyall, A., Filimonau, V. and Wall, S., 2012. Tourism engaging with the public health agenda: can we promote 'wellville' as a destination of choice? Public health, 126 (12), 1072-1074.
- Stevens, P. and Hemingway, A., 2011. Power to the people. Occupational Health, 63 (3), 22-23.
- Hemingway, A., 2011. Lifeworld-led care: Is it relevant for well-being and the fifth wave of public health action? Int J Qual Stud Health Well-being, 6 (4).
- Hemingway, A., Angell, C., Hartwell, H. and Heller, R., 2011. An emerging model for publishing and using open educational resources in public health. Perspectives in Public Health, 131, 38-43.
- Hemingway, A., 2011. Lifeworld led care wellbeing, and the 5th wave of public health. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being.
- Hemingway, A. and Stevens, P., 2011. Innovation to achieve sustainable wellbeing inside the built environment. Perspectives in Public Health.
- Angell, C., Hartwell, H. and Hemingway, A., 2011. The emergence of public health open educational resources. Health Education, 111, 256-265.
- Angell, C., Hemingway, A. and Hartwell, H., 2011. Surfing the net for public health resources. Public Health, 125, 547-553.
- Hemingway, A., 2010. Wellbeing in the workplace. Occupational Health.
- Critchley, K.A., Richardson, E., Aarts, C., Campbell, B., Hemingway, A., Koskinen, L., Mitchell, M.P. and Nordstrom, P., 2009. Student Experiences With an International Public Health Exchange Project. Nurse Educator, 34 (2), 69-74.
- Koskinen, L., Aarts, C., Chasse, F., Hemingway, A., Juhansoo, T., Mitchell, M., Marquis, F., Critchley, K. and Nordstrom, P., 2009. Enhancing cultural competence: Trans-Atlantic experiences of European and Canadian nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 15, 502-509.
- Aarts, C., Nordstom, P., Koskinen, L., Juhansoo, T., Mitchell, H., Marquis, F., Critchley, K., Chasse, F., Campbell, B. and Hemingway, A., 2009. Enabling nursing students to focus on the Ottawa Charter and the nurses role in tackling inequalities in health through international exchange. Nurse Education Today, 30, 448-452.
- Hemingway, A., 2009. Using practice development methodology to develop children’s centre teams: Ideas for the future. Perspectives in Public health, 129, 234-238.
- Hemingway, A., 2007. Determinants of coronary heart disease risk for women on a low income: literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 60, 359-367.
- Hemingway, A. and Taylor, G., 2006. The men and indigestion pilot study summary. Mens Health Forum Website.
- Hemingway, A., fyall, A. and hartwell, H., 2017. Hospitable and Healthy Destination: A Collaborative Approach. In: Marra, E. and Melotti, M., eds. Mobilities and Hospitable Cities. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 66.
- Hemingway, A., 2017. Horses and Humans: Teaching Young People to be Well. In: Prof Kate Galvin, ed. Handbook of Wellbeing. Routledge.
- Appleton, K.M., Hemingway, A., Saulais, L., Dinnella, C., Monteleone, E., Depezay, L., Castagna, E., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Beavn, A. and Hartwell, H., 2017. Increasing vegetable intakes: An updated systematic review of published interventions. Advances in Vegetable Consumption and Health Research. 85-154.
- Hemingway, A., fyall, A. and hartwell, H., 2015. Developing wellbeing destination brands: A collaborative approach’. Nation Branding – Concepts, Issues, Practice. Routledge.
- Hemingway, A., fyall, A. and hartwell, H., 2013. Developing Wellbeing Destination Brands: A Collaborative Approach. Destination Branding. sage.
- Hemingway, A., 2013. Caring for Wellbeing in Later Life. Nursing Older People. Learning Matters.
- Hemingway, A., fyall, A. and hartwell, H., 2013. Developing Wellbeing Destination Brands. Tourism Destination Branding. sage.
- Hemingway, A., 2013. introducing humanisation theory. caring for older people. learning matters.
- Harker, P. and Hemingway, A., 2003. Health-related behaviour in low-income families. In: Giles, A., ed. A lifecourse approach to coronary heart disease prevention: scientific and policy review. London: The Stationery Office, 137-150.
- Ashencaen Crabtree, S., Hemingway, A., Sudbury, S., Hall, J., Board, M., Diaz, A., Hutchings, M., Jacey, H. et al., 2018. ‘Welcome to the Machine!’ Resisting isomorphic, masculinised corporatisation of Higher Education through feminist scholarship. In: DAKAM Gender and Women's Studies Conference 10-12 November 2018 Istanbul.
- Ashencaen Crabtree, S. and Hemingway, A., 2018. The WAN Network Slow Professor study at BU, a progress report. In: Back in the Women's Room: Dialogues on Gender Focused Research 24 May 2017 Bournemouth University Women's Academic Network.
- Norton, E. and Hemingway, A., 2017. Reducing health inequalities through public health practice- the role of the lifeworld. In: Humanising Care Conference 29-30 June 2017 Bournemouth University.
- Crossen-White, H., Norton, E. and Hemingway, A., 2017. Using the Arts to consult a community about their health and wellbeing needs. In: Culture Health and Wellbeing International Conference 19-21 June 2017 Bristol.
- Turner-Wilson, A., Fisher, R., Crossen-White, H., Hemingway, A. and Mellor, S., 2017. Family Matters: Insights Into Late Twentieth Century Interdisciplinary Working Practices From Retired British Healthcare Professionals, Past Ideas and Modern Perspectives. In: The Asian Conference on Cultural Studies 1-4 June 2017 Kobe , Japan.
- Appleton, K.M., Hemingway, A., Saulais, L., Dinnella, C., Monteleone, E., Depezay, L., Morizet, D., Perez-Cueto, F.J.A., Bevan, A. and Hartwell, H., 2016. Systematic review of published interventions aiming to increase vegetable intakes. In: Annual meeting of the Nutrition Society 11-14 July 2016 Dublin, Ireland.
- North, S., Hemingway, A., Laurie, H., McClean, A. and Ellis-Hill, C., 2016. Evaluating a natural horsemanship program in relation to the ISES First Principles of Horse Training. In: 12th International Equitation Science Conference 23-25 June 2016 Saumur France.
- Scammell, J., Rosser, E., Hemingway, A., Phillips, J., Cooper, K., Heaslip, V., White, S. and Donaldson, I., 2015. Nurturing caring values in pre-registration nurse education: a qualitative longitudinal study. In: STTI Honours Nursing Society Biennium Conference 8-12 November 2015 Las Vegas, USA.
- Hemingway, A., 2015. Improving workplace foodscapes: ideas for managing hunger and satiety. In: International food research seminar 15-16 April 2015 Institute Paul Boucus Lyon France.
- Hemingway, A., Hartwell, H. and Ladkin, A., 2014. Workplace Health & Wellbeing: Considering the Tourism Workforce. In: 3rd International Tourism Conference. Tourism & Innovation: Re-inventing, Revolutionizing, Transforming 9-11 November 2014 Montego Bay, Jamaica.
- Hemingway, A., Hartwell, H., Appleton, K. and Bevan, A., 2014. Increasing vegetable consumption through food service. In: EuroCHRIE conference 7-17 October 2014 Dubai.
- Rosser, E., Hemingway, A., Harding, A., Cooper, K., Donaldson, I., Heaslip, V., Jack, E., Phillips, J., Scammell, J. and White, S., 2013. Do students enter nursing programmes with a caring disposition? An exploration of the qualities and values held by students entering pre-registration nursing in one English University. In: 24th International Networking for Healthcare Education 3-5 September 2013 Cambridge, UK.
- Phillips, J., Cooper, K., Rosser, E., Scammell, J., Heaslip, V., White, S., Donaldson, I., Hemingway, A., Jack, E. and Harding, A., 2013. To explore the impact of a humanising curriculum on new nursing recruits' personal beliefs about the core values of nursing. In: 24th International Networking for Healthcare Education 3-5 September 2013 Cambridge, UK.
- Rosser, E., Hemingway, A., Harding, A., Cooper, K., Donaldson, I., Heaslip, V., Jack, E., Phillips, J., Scammell, J. and White, S., 2013. Putting patients at the heart of nursing care: an exploratory study of student values entering pre-registration nursing in one UK University. In: Inaugural Phi Mu Chapter conference 20-21 June 2013 Bournemouth UK.
- Hemingway, A. and Jack, E., 2010. Social isolation and older people a research study: preliminary findings. In: 18th Annual Public Health Forum - Confronting the Public Health Crisis. Global issues, local actions - health and wellbeing in a time of ecological and economic crises 24-25 March 2010 Bournemouth International Centre, Bournemouth, England.
- Hemingway, A., 2010. Humanisation and public health research. In: 8th Biennial International Qualitative Research Conference 6-8 September 2010 Bournemouth University, England.
- Hemingway, A., 2008. Using international students as resources. In: Going Global 3 3-5 December 2008 London. British Council.
- Hemingway, A., 2007. The Ottawa Charter Twenty Years On: an International Nursing Student Exchange Program Perspective. In: 19th IUHPE World Conference on Health Promotion and Health Development 2007: Health Promotion Comes of Age: Research, Policy & Practice for the 21st Century 10-15 June 2007 Vancouver, Canada.
- Crossen-White, H., Norton, E. and Hemingway, A., 2016. Creative Consultation: A community’s views on health & wellbeing. BU: BU.
- Hemingway, A., 2010. Final Recommendations from the World Health Organisation Commission on the Social Determinants of Health: Nurses, part of the solution? A discussion paper.. Elsevier.
- Hemingway, A. and Jack, E., 2009. Healthy Living Centre Evaluation. BU.
- Hemingway, A. and Jack, E., 2008. Evaluation of the Boscombe West & Springbourne Healthy Living Centre in Bournemouth,Sept 2005-Oct 2008. Final Report Draft. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Hemingway, A., 2007. Women on a low income and CHD risk a literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing.
- Hemingway, A., 2006. Women on a low income and risk factors for Coronary Heart Disease: a research study. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Hemingway, A., 2005. Community involvement in health promotion: an evaluative study. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Hemingway, A., Taylor, G. and Young, N., 2004. Quit bellyaching: the men and indigestion pilot study: executive summary. Men's Health Forum.
- Hemingway, A. and Taylor, G., 2004. An Evaluation of the Processes and Outcomes in Two Interagency Public Health Teams Working in Deprived Areas. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Hemingway, A., 2003. Factors which may affect attendance at cardiac rehabilitation. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Cescutti-Butler, L., 2017. Powerless responsibility: women’s experiences of caring for their late preterm baby/babies. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences.
- alex effah. A grounded theory study on the experiences of buruli ulcer for individuals affecte in ghana
- Sue Baron. Exploring the patient journey: an approach to patient centred healthcare improvement
- judith gleeson. health visiting and policy implementation
- Stacy Wall. The integration of tourism and public health policy
- Luisa Cescutti-Butler. The experiences of delivery for mothers of pre term babies
- abigail barkham. the role of the community matron in supporting social learning within patient groups
- Sarah Price. Public Sector Food Service
- Sarah Pyke. social tourism and public health
- Elizabeth Waithaka, 2018. recommissioning public health nursing
- folashade alloh, 2018. Nigerian diaspora living with type II diabetes a grounded theory
- Pippa Hillen, 2020. Do nurses do public health?
- Andrew Harding, 2017. Housing advice and older people a realist evaluation
- tina graham, 2017. an autoethnography of empathic resonance
- abigail barkham, 2016. Group work as a method of service delivery for community matrons
Profile of Teaching PG
- context and scope of public health
- public health management strategies
Profile of Teaching UG
- evidence for practice
- Integrating public health and home care
Public Health and Obesity, Institute Paul Boucouse Lyon France, 12 Apr 2016 more
Public Health and Obesity
Public Health + Home Care: making the links, Bristol, 01 Sep 2004 more
Invited to speak at national home care conference
Global Public Health Nursing, London, 22 Mar 2018 more
Invited by Public Health England
- SAIL - Staying Active and Independent for Longer (European Commission Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, 01 May 2017). Awarded
- Arts Link Sherborne (Big Lottery Fund, 01 Apr 2017). Awarded
- Recommissioning Public Health Nursing for Dorset (Public Health Dorset, 02 Oct 2014). Awarded
- Commissioning a Wellbeing service for Dorset (Public Health Team Dorset, 01 Sep 2014). Awarded
- Redefining Wellbeing (ESRC, 01 Sep 2014). Awarded
- Wellbeing and tourism (ESRC, 01 Sep 2014). Awarded
- arts and health (public health team dorset, 01 Jan 2014). Awarded
- veggieat (EU commission, 01 Oct 2013). Awarded
- Wellbeing in the workplace (Higher Education Funding Council for England, 01 Sep 2011). Completed
- Exploring the impact of friendship clubs on older peoples health and wellbeing (Brendoncare Foundation, 01 Jan 2010). Completed
- PHORUS Project - Public Health Open (Online) Resources in the University Sector Research Lead (JISC Joint information Systems Committee, 01 Sep 2008). Completed
- Factors which Impact on Attendance at Cardiac Rehabilitation in Dorset (Healthworks, 30 Sep 2004). Completed
- The Prevention of Coronary Heart Disease in Women on a Low Income (Higher Education Funding Council for England, 01 Sep 2003). Completed
- World Health Organisation Public Health Nursing and Midwifery Collaborating Centre, Member (2018-2022)
- Cyprus Research Institute, Reviewer for Research Bid applications (2017-)
- Cochrane Collaboration, Member of Nursing Priorities Review Group (2013-2018)
- Manchester Metropolitan, External Examiner for Peoples Uni MSc Public Healt (2011-2015)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Public Health moving in to the Local Authority open event June 2012
- Promoting the wellbeing of older people open event
- HEA Leadership application, 12 Dec 2016
- PhD in PhD (University of Southampton, 2005)
- PhD in Inequities in health (2005)
- BSc (Hons) in Ed Honours Degree (Southbank University, 1991)
- Registered Nurse in Registered Nurse (GNC, 1984)
- Dip HE in Nurse Teacher Qualification, (GNC, 1991)
- membership (international scholarship society for nurses, 2011)
- Partnership working award (Dept of Health, 2009)
- Nominated Chair (European Academy of Caring Science, 2013)
- Chair (European academy of caring science, 2013)
- European Academy of Caring Science (Affiliate), Associate,
- RCN, Member,
- UK Public Health Association, Member,
- Faculty of Public Health
External Media and Press
- Reduction of government funding for parks, BBC radio and TV, 19 Mar 2017. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08ht9pm