Dr Xin Zhao
- 01202 966714
- xzhao at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Media and Communication
- Weymouth House W423, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am the Programme Leader of MA Media and Communication. My research broadly explores media representations, media audience, and journalism practice surrounding the topic of social justice, such as environmental justice and racial equality. I have published in journals including Journalism, Journalism Studies, International Journal of Communication, Asian Journal of Communication, and Global Media and Communication.
I welcome PhD applications in the above areas.
I am currently a co-investigator of the following research projects:
1. Racism, Digital Discrimination and Mental Health During and After the COVID-19 Pandemic: A case study of East and Southeast Asians (ESEA) communities in the UK (with Yan Wu, Martin Porcheron, and Irene Reppa). The novelty of this research lies in its timely examination of, and intervention in, an under-researched area of discrimination through the lens of race, ethnicity, mental health, and digital technology.
2. Journalistic Role Performance Around the World (with Daniel Jackson, Jamie Matthews, Einar Thorsen, Antje Glück, and Yasser Abuali). We are the UK team for this cross-national, theory-driven endeavour to systematically analyse the state of journalistic cultures in the new media landscape across the world. For more information please refer to https://www.journalisticperformance.org.
3. Journalism Students Across the Globe (with Daniel Jackson and Einar Thorsen). We are the UK representatives for a global comparative study of the professional norms, values, and attitudes of journalism students. For more information please refer to http://www.jstudentsproject.org.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
Sustainable cities and communities
"Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable"
- Zhao, X., 2023. Constructing the ‘us’ and ‘them’ dichotomy through the notion of responsibility: An integrated framework. Global Media and Communication.
- Matthews, J., Zhao, X., Jackson, D., Thorsen, E., Mellado, C., Abuali, Y. and Glück, A., 2023. Sourcing UK COVID-19 News: An Analysis of Sourcing Patterns of 15 UK News Outlets Reporting on COVID-19 Across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Health Communication.
- Zhao, X., Feigenbaum, A. and McDavitt, S., 2022. Feasibility of comics in health communication: Public responses to graphic medicine on Instagram during the Covid-19 pandemic. Journal of Visual Political Communication, 9 (1), 9-28.
- Saptorini, E., Zhao, X. and Jackson, D., 2022. Place, Power and the Pandemic: The Disrupted Material Settings of Television News Making During Covid-19 in an Indonesian Broadcaster. Journalism Studies, 23 (5-6), 611-628.
- Zhao, X., Guan, M. and Liang, X., 2022. The Impact of Social Media Use on Online Collective Action During China’s COVID-19 Pandemic Mitigation: A Social Identity Model of Collective Action (SIMCA) Perspective. International Journal of Communication, 16, 85-106.
- Zhao, X., Jackson, D. and Nguyen, A., 2022. The Psychological Empowerment Potential of Solutions Journalism: Perspectives from Pandemic News Users in the UK. Journalism Studies, 23 (3), 356-373.
- Zhao, X., 2021. How “public” is communicated in China’s public diplomacy: Communicating environmental justice in the case of air pollution in China. Networking Knowledge, 14 (2), 65-94.
- Zhao, X., 2021. Journalistic construction of congruence: Chinese media’s representation of common but differentiated responsibilities in environmental protection. Journalism: theory, practice and criticism, 22 (8), 2139-2157.
- Zhao, X. and Guan, M., 2021. Can you secure a job through Twesume? Examining strategic communication for self-promotion on social media. Communication Teacher, 35 (1), 32-36.
- Zhao, X., 2021. Auditing the “Me Inc.”: Teaching personal branding on LinkedIn through an experiential learning method. Communication Teacher, 35 (1), 37-42.
- Zhao, X. and Xiang, Y., 2019. Does China's outward focused journalism engage a constructive approach? A qualitative content analysis of Xinhua News Agency's English news. Asian Journal of Communication, 29 (4), 346-362.
- Zhao, X., 2018. Book Review: Keith J. Butterick Complacency and collusion: A critical introduction to business and financial journalism. Journalism: theory, practice and criticism, 19 (1), 123-125.
- Zhao, X., 2016. A review on China’s soft power projection through its transnational media institutions: Conveying discourse of economic responsibilities in media ‘going-out’. for(e)dialogue, 1 (1), 27-39.
- Zhao, X. and Xiang, Y., 2022. Using disparagement humour to deal with health misinformation endorsers. In: McDougall, J. and Fowler-Watt, K., eds. The Palgrave Handbook of Media Misinformation. Palgrave Macmillan, 179-190.
- Zhao, X., Jackson, D. and Nguyen, A., 2022. Solutions journalism, psychological empowerment, and civic engagement: Revisiting the democratic role of journalism. In: 72nd ICA Annual conference 26-30 May 2022 Paris.
- Saptorini, E., Zhao, X. and Jackson, D., 2022. ‘COVID-19, journalism and emotional labour: an ethnographic study of three Indonesian newsrooms’. In: Emotional labour in media work 28 April 2022 Middlesex University.
- Zhao, X., Jackson, D., Nguyen, A. and Glück, A., 2021. The Psychological Empowerment of Solutions Journalism: Perspectives from Pandemic News Users in the UK. In: The 2021 conference of The International Journal of Press/Politics 13-16 September 2021 Online.
- Saptorini, E., Zhao, X. and Jackson, D., 2021. Place, power and the pandemic: The disrupted material settings of television news making during COVID-19 in an Indonesian broadcaster. In: 71st Annual International Communication Association Conference 27-31 May 2021 Online.
- Saptorini, E., Jackson, D. and Zhao, X., 2021. Freedom of press during the COVID-19 pandemic: Press-state relations dissected at three Indonesian newsrooms. In: Media and the Illiberal Turn Conference 28-29 April 2021 Loughborough.
- Zhao, X., Guan, M. and Liang, X., 2020. Digital media use and collective action: Detailing the mediating role of injustice in the social identity model of collective action in China’s coronavirus pandemic mitigation. In: Sixth International Conference of the International Journal of Press/Politics 21-22 September 2020 Online.
- Zhao, X., 2019. A Re-Examination of Media Representations of “Us” and “Them” Opposition through the Lens of National Responsibility in China-U.S. Trade Interactions. In: Fifth International Conference of the International Journal of Press/Politics 16-17 September 2019 Loughborough University.
- Zhao, X. and Guan, M., 2019. GIFTS: Securing a Job through Twesume: Examining Strategic Self-Promotion on Social Media. In: 69th Annual International Communication Association Conference 24-28 May 2019 Washington.
- Zhao, X., 2021. Understanding the ‘Us Vs Them’ Division Through the Notion of Responsibility. E-International Relations. Available from: https://www.e-ir.info/2021/05/25/understanding-the-us-vs-them-division-through-the-notion-of-responsibility/?utm_content=buffer74dca&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR1MjgWyB-pP7K5lAf-00-OQ7qYmYAdXt6g0DcZyoCrv-ZUMG2MrP0LGHbQ.
- Nguyen, A., Zhao, X., Lawson, B. and Jackson, D., 2021. Reporting from a Statistical Chaos: Journalistic Lessons from the First Year of Covid-19 Data and Science in the News. Bournemouth University, Royal Statistical Society and Association of British Science Writers.
- Jackson, D., Zhao, X., Glück, A., Smith, A. and Nguyen, A., 2021. 'It's Getting People More Engaged in Things': Responses to Solutions-Oriented News in the Context of COVID-19.
- Nguyen, A., Smith, A., Jackson, D. and Zhao, X., 2021. Pandemic News Experience: COVID-19, News Consumption, Mental Health, and the Demand for Positive News.
- Endah Saptorini. News-making Crisis in the Time of COVID-19 Pandemic: An Ethnography study on a Television in Indonesia, (In progress)
- Wed Mohammed H Alfotawi. Understanding the role of social media to enhance information subsidies, fake news and misinformation for journalism in Saudi Arabia, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Media Diversity & Cross-Cultural Communication (unit leader)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Consumer and Stakeholder Insights
- Research Principles and Practice (unit leader)
- Co-I, Racism, Digital Discrimination and Mental Health During and After the COVID-19 Pandemic: A case study of East and Southeast Asians (ESEA) communities in the UK (Morgan Advanced Studies Institute, 01 Aug 2022). In Progress
- Co-I (first phase), COJO for COVID-19 Recovery: Constructive Solutions-Focused Journalism as a Pandemic Exit Strategy for the UK's Local/Regional Communities (UKRI/AHRC, 01 Mar 2021). In Progress
- PI, China’s Global Identity and Corresponding Responsibility: An Investigation of Chinese and Western Media Representations (Guangdong Province 2019 Innovation and Enhancement Project, 01 Sep 2019). Completed
- Programme Leader (Jan 2021 onwards), MA Media and Communication Programme
- Convenor (Dec 2020-Jun 2022), Speaker Series of Science, Health and Data Communication Research Centre
- Supervisory Development Training for Established Supervisors, 10 Mar 2022, Established Supervisors