Dr Xin Zhao
- 01202 966714
- xzhao at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Marketing Communications
- Weymouth House W423, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am the Programme Leader of MA Media and Communication. My research broadly explores media representations, media audience, and journalism practice surrounding the topic of social justice, such as environmental justice and racial equality. I have published in journals including Journalism, Journalism Studies, Asian Journal of Communication, and Global Media and Communication.
1. Co-Investigator of the AHRC/UKRI-funded project "COJO for COVID-19 Recovery: Constructive Solutions-Focused Journalism as a Pandemic Exit Strategy for the UK's Local/Regional Communities" (https://cojouk.org/); 2. Co-Investigator of "Journalistic Role Performance Project" (https://www.journalisticperformance.org); 3. Co-Investigator of "Journalism Students across the Globe Project" (http://www.jstudentsproject.org/).
- Zhao, X., 2022. Constructing the us and them dichotomy through the notion of responsibility: An integrated framework. Global Media and Communication.
- Zhao, X., 2021. How “public” is communicated in China’s public diplomacy: Communicating environmental justice in the case of air pollution in China. Networking Knowledge, 14 (2), 65-94.
- Zhao, X., 2021. Journalistic construction of congruence: Chinese media’s representation of common but differentiated responsibilities in environmental protection. Journalism: theory, practice and criticism, 22 (8), 2139-2157.
- Zhao, X. and Guan, M., 2021. Can you secure a job through Twesume? Examining strategic communication for self-promotion on social media. Communication Teacher, 35 (1), 32-36.
- Zhao, X., 2021. Auditing the “Me Inc.”: Teaching personal branding on LinkedIn through an experiential learning method. Communication Teacher, 35 (1), 37-42.
- Saptorini, E., Zhao, X. and Jackson, D., 2021. Place, Power and the Pandemic: The Disrupted Material Settings of Television News Making During Covid-19 in an Indonesian Broadcaster. Journalism Studies.
- Zhao, X. and Xiang, Y., 2019. Does China's outward focused journalism engage a constructive approach? A qualitative content analysis of Xinhua News Agency's English news. Asian Journal of Communication, 29 (4), 346-362.
- Zhao, X., 2018. Book Review: Keith J. Butterick Complacency and collusion: A critical introduction to business and financial journalism. Journalism: theory, practice and criticism, 19 (1), 123-125.
- Zhao, X., 2016. A review on China’s soft power projection through its transnational media institutions: Conveying discourse of economic responsibilities in media ‘going-out’. for(e)dialogue, 1 (1), 27-39.
- Zhao, X., 2021. Understanding the ‘Us Vs Them’ Division Through the Notion of Responsibility. E-International Relations. Available from: https://www.e-ir.info/2021/05/25/understanding-the-us-vs-them-division-through-the-notion-of-responsibility/?utm_content=buffer74dca&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR1MjgWyB-pP7K5lAf-00-OQ7qYmYAdXt6g0DcZyoCrv-ZUMG2MrP0LGHbQ.
- Jackson, D., Zhao, X., Glück, A., Smith, A. and Nguyen, A., 2021. 'It's Getting People More Engaged in Things': Responses to Solutions-Oriented News in the Context of COVID-19.. SSRN.
- Nguyen, A., Smith, A., Jackson, D. and Zhao, X., 2021. Pandemic News Experience: COVID-19, News Consumption, Mental Health, and the Demand for Positive News. SSRN.
- Nguyen, A., Zhao, X., Lawson, B. and Jackson, D., 2021. Reporting from a Statistical Chaos: Journalistic Lessons from the First Year of Covid-19 Data and Science in the News. Bournemouth University, Royal Statistical Society and Association of British Science Writers.
- Endah Saptorini. The metamorphosis of TV journalism in Indonesia: How digital technology is driving changes in news production and journalistic practices (second supervisor)
- Quoc Bao Duong. The functions of media uses in public engagement with climate change: The case in Vietnam (second supervisor)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Media Diversity & Cross-Cultural Communication (unit leader)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Consumer and Stakeholder Insights
- Research Principles and Practice (unit leader)
- Co-I, COJO for COVID-19 Recovery: Constructive Solutions-Focused Journalism as a Pandemic Exit Strategy for the UK's Local/Regional Communities (UKRI/AHRC, 23 Dec 2020). In Progress
- Programme Leader, MA Media and Communication Programme
- Convenor of speaker series, Science, Health and Data Communication Research Group
- Zhao, X., Jackson, D., Nguyen, A. & Glück, A. The 2021 conference of The International Journal of Press/Politics, The Psychological Empowerment of Solutions Journalism: Perspectives from Pandemic News Users in the UK, 13 Sep 2021, Virtual
- Saptorini, E., Zhao, X., & Jackson, D. 71st Annual International Communication Association Conference, Place, power and the pandemic: The disrupted material settings of television news making during COVID-19 in an Indonesian broadcaster, 27 May 2021, Online
- Zhao, X., Guan, M., & Liang, X. Sixth International Conference of the International Journal of Press/Politics, Digital media use and collective action: Detailing the mediating role of injustice in the social identity model of collective action in China’s coronavirus pandemic mitigation, 21 Sep 2020, Loughborough University
- Zhao, X. Fifth International Conference of the International Journal of Press/Politics, A Re-Examination of Media Representations of “Us” and “Them” Opposition through the Lens of National Responsibility in China-U.S. Trade Interactions, 15 Sep 2019, Loughborough University, UK
- Zhao, X. & Guan, M. 69th Annual International Communication Association Conference, GIFTS: Securing a Job through Twesume: Examining Strategic Self-Promotion on Social Media, 24 May 2019, Washington DC, U.S.
- Supervisory Development Training for Established Supervisors, 17 Feb 2020, Established Supervisors
- PhD in Media (Bangor University, 2017)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2019-),