Dr Ruijie Wang
- 01202 967152
- rwang3 at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Psychology
- Poole House P104a, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Ruijie Wang is a Senior Lecturer in Psychology, a member of BU Gambling Research Group, Cyberpsychology group, Interdisciplinary Neuroscience Research Centre (INRC) and Bournemouth University HCI research group (BUCHI). She has been working on a GambleAware-funded responsible gambling project since April 2020, particularly for transparency and explainability of gambling sites, using multidisciplinary approaches including interviews, website and social media analysis, eye tracking and co-design. Before joining BU, she completed her PhD in Computer Science at De Montfort University. Previously, she received MSc degree in Human Computer Interaction from University of St Andrews, and BSc degree in Psychology from East China Normal University.
My research interest covers all aspects of user research in the context of Human Computer Interaction, particularly for online gambling and e-learning. I'm interested in investigating the role of human factors (e.g. gamblers' characteristics, cognitive needs of learners with dyslexia) in the design and development of intelligent interactive systems to deliver personalised services and interventions. I use multidisciplinary research approaches including qualitative and quantitative analyses, statistical modelling, applying machine learning algorithms to automatic assessment of human mind and behaviour based on physiological information such as eye tracking and EEG, as well as other approaches involved in user-centred design and UX evaluation.
I'm welcoming enquiries from both UK and non-UK students who might be interested in pursuing a PhD with me.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
"Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
- Arden-Close, E., Thomas, S., Bush-Evans, R., Wang, R., Bolat, E., Hodge, S., Phalp, K. and McAlaney, J., 2023. Social norms and goal-setting interventions to promote responsible gambling in low-to-moderate online gamblers: protocol for a four-arm randomised controlled feasibility study. BMJ Open, 13 (3).
- Wang, R., Chen, L. and Ayesh, A., 2023. Multimodal motivation modelling and computing towards motivationally intelligent E-learning systems. CCF Transactions on Pervasive Computing and Interaction, 5 (1), 64-81.
- Wang, R., Bush-Evans, R., Arden-Close, E., Bolat, E., McAlaney, J., Hodge, S., Thomas, S. and Phalp, K., 2023. Transparency in persuasive technology, immersive technology, and online marketing: Facilitating users’ informed decision making and practical implications. Computers in Human Behavior, 139.
- Brockinton, A., Hirst, S., Wang, R., McAlaney, J. and Thompson, S., 2023. Corrigendum: Utilising online eye-tracking to discern the impacts of cultural backgrounds on fake and real news decision-making(Front. Psychol., (2022), 13, (999780), 10.3389/fpsyg.2022.999780). Frontiers in Psychology, 14.
- Brockinton, A., Hirst, S., Wang, R., McAlaney, J. and Thompson, S., 2022. Utilising online eye-tracking to discern the impacts of cultural backgrounds on fake and real news decision-making. Frontiers in Psychology, 13.
- Hodge, S.E., Vykoukal, M., McAlaney, J., Bush-Evans, R.D., Wang, R. and Ali, R., 2022. What’s in the box? Exploring UK players’ experiences of loot boxes in games; the conceptualisation and parallels with gambling. PLoS ONE, 17 (2 February).
- Wang, R., Chen, L. and Solheim, I., 2020. Modeling Dyslexic Students' Motivation for Enhanced Learning in E-learning Systems. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INTERACTIVE INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS, 10 (3).
- Polkinghorne, M., Hull, A., Metzger, A., Carstensen, A., Goldsmith, B., Heffernan, C., Casey, C., Anderson, E., Sweeting, F., Knight, F., Roushan, G., Ribchester, H., Henderson, H., Darby, I., Parry, K., Roper, L., Oliver, L., Hughes, M., Bobeva, M., Ayer, N., Harvey, O., Phillips, P., Wang, R., Stride, S., Hillier, S., Andrewes, T., Patel, U., Adzhiev, V. et al., 2023. Fusion Learning Conference 2023 - Proceedings. Poole, Dorset, UK, BH12 5BB: Bournemouth University.
- Allen, S. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022 - Proceedings. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Wang, R., Xu, Y. and Chen, L., 2019. GazeMotive: A Gaze-Based Motivation-Aware E-Learning Tool for Students with Learning Difficulties. 544-548.
- Wang, R., Chen, L., Ayesh, A., Shell, J. and Solheim, I., 2019. Gaze-based Assessment of Dyslexic Students' Motivation within an E-learning Environment. 2019 IEEE SMARTWORLD, UBIQUITOUS INTELLIGENCE & COMPUTING, ADVANCED & TRUSTED COMPUTING, SCALABLE COMPUTING & COMMUNICATIONS, CLOUD & BIG DATA COMPUTING, INTERNET OF PEOPLE AND SMART CITY INNOVATION (SMARTWORLD/SCALCOM/UIC/ATC/CBDCOM/IOP/SCI 2019), 610-617.
- Wang, R., Chen, L. and Solheim, I., 2017. A Conceptual System Architecture for Motivation- enhanced Learning for Students with Dyslexia. Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on e-education, e-business and e-technology, 13-19 Toronto: ACM New York, NY, USA ©2017.
- Wang, R., Chen, L., Solheim, I., Schulz, T. and Ayesh, A., 2017. Conceptual Motivation Modeling for Students with Dyslexia for Enhanced Assistive Learning. SmartLearn ’17 Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Workshop on Intelligent Interfaces for Ubiquitous and Smart Learning, 11-18 ACM New York, NY, USA ©2017.
- Wang, R., Zhu, X., Nacenta, M. and Dai, Q., 2017. Visualization of Health Behavior Data for Children and Young Adults. 2017 COMPUTING CONFERENCE, 1207-1216.
- Bolat, E., Wang, R., Bush, R., Arden-Close, E., McAlaney, J., Thomas, S. and Hodge, S., 2022. The Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) and the Broadcast Committee of Advertising Practice (BCAP) call for evidence into Consulting on stricter rules for gambling ads on 22nd January 2021.. ASA. Available from: https://www.asa.org.uk/static/b9efd292-25cc-408c-b9e3b78ecb840100/Responses-A-B.pdf.
- Wang, R., Bush-Evans, R., Arden-Close, E., Thomas, S., Hodge, S., McAlaney, J., Bolat, E. and Phalp, K.T., 2021. EROGamb 2 Systematic Review. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Bolat, E., Wang, R., Bush-Evans, R., Arden-Close, E., Hodge, S., McAlaney, J., Thomas, S. and Phalp, K.T., 2021. EROGamb 2 Website Transparency and Responsible Gambling Report. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Wang, R., Bush-Evans, R., McAlaney, J., Bolat, E., Arden-Close, E., Hodge, S., Phalp, K.T. and Thomas, S., 2020. EROGamb 2 Narrative Review. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Bush-Evans, R., Wang, R., McAlaney, J., Ali, R., Bolat, E., Charles, F., Arden-Close, E., Hodge, S., Phalp, K.T. and Thomas, S., 2020. EROGamb 2 Scoping Review. Poole: Bournemouth University.
- Wang, R., 2022. The power of collaboration and diversity in interdisciplinary research: in the case of a responsible gambling project. Soapbox Science. Available from: http://soapboxscience.org/2022/05/16/the-power-of-collaboration-and-diversity-in-interdisciplinary-research-in-the-case-of-a-responsible-gambling-project/.
- Wang, R., 2020. Motivation Modelling and Computation for Personalised Learning of People with Dyslexia. PhD Thesis. School of Computer Science and Informatics, De Montfort University.
- Lopera, L.I., Wang, R. and All partners and ESRs, 2019. Four specialised technology infrastructures for four application categories (Deliverable D2.7, EU H2020 ACROSSING). European Commission Horizon 2020. Published online.
- Vincze, M., Wang, R., Chen, L. and All partners, 2019. Best practice of cross-sector partnerships and guidelines (Deliverable D3.7, EU H2020 ACROSSING). European Commission Horizon 2020. Published online.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Research project supervision
Profile of Teaching UG
- Module leader: Human Computer Interaction
- Lecture & Seminar: Psychology of Social Media and Videogames
- Lecture: Critically Evaluating Psychology: Past and Present
- Final year project supervision
- Lecture: Cybersecurity and Cyberwarfare
- Seminar: Developmental and Counselling Psychology
- Lecture: Personality, Intelligence, and Social Psychology
- Annual GB Treatment and Support Survey additional analyses – Gambling types (GambleAware, 18 Sep 2023). Awarded
- ERASMUS+ staff mobility research training (European Commission, 22 May 2023). Completed
- GambleAware’s advertising and brand research roster (GambleAware, 01 Apr 2023). Awarded
- Examining gambling and gambling-related harms in the LGBTQ+ community (BU Psychology QR, 15 Dec 2022). Completed
- Personality and gambling: an eye-tracking study on attention to responsible gambling messages and promotional content on webpages (BU ACORN, 01 Feb 2022). Awarded
- Gender differences and stereotypes in gambling: an eye-tracking study on reactivity to inducements and attentional bias on webpages (BU Psychology QR, 15 Nov 2021). Completed
- The effect of agency and feedback on sustained motivation in learning: behaviour and neural underpinnings (BU Psychology QR, 15 Nov 2021). Awarded
- Picturing and voicing responsible online gambling (Economic and Social Research Council, 11 Sep 2020). Completed
- The 10th International Conference on Behavioural and Social Computing (BESC2023), Programme committee member (2023-), http://besc-conf.org/2023/program-committee
- CuttingGardens 2023 - Bournemouth local garden, Organisation Committee member (2023-), https://cuttinggardens2023.org/gardens/bournemouth/
- British Psychological Society Cyberpsychology Section Annual Conference 2022, Scientific Committee member (2022-)
- Special issue "The Future of Psychology Education: The Role of Cyberpsychology Research & Practice" in Journal "Discover Psychology", Guest editor (2022-), https://link.springer.com/collections/ajebgafied
- Special issue "Prevention and Harm Reduction Interventions of Gambling Behaviours" in Journal "Healthcare", Guest co-editor (2022-), https://www.mdpi.com/journal/healthcare/special_issues/8I436LNDC5
- 2019 IEEE SmartWorld, Ubiquitous Intelligence & Computing, Advanced & Trusted Computing, Scalable Computing & Communications, Cloud & Big Data Computing, Internet of People and Smart City Innovation, Organizing Committee member (2019-), https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=9060418; SmartWorld 2019 Organizing and Program Committee
- Applied Sciences, from, 01 Jan 2022
- Computers in Human Behavior, from, 01 Jan 2021
- IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, from, 01 Jan 2021
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, from, 01 Jan 2021
- Sensors, from, 01 Jan 2021
- IEEE Internet of Things Journal, from, 01 Jan 2021
- MDPI Healthcare, from, 01 Jan 2020
- Interacting with Assistive Technology (IATech) Workshop, INTERACT2023, Advancing Inclusive E-learning: Relationship between Motivational Factors and Dyslexic Characteristics, 28 Aug 2023, York
- Experimental Psychology Society (EPS) Meeting, A webcam-based eye tracking experiment on usability of responsible gambling information on gambling operators’ websites, 12 Jul 2023, Swansea University
- Fusion Learning Conference 2023, Inclusivity for Mature Students in Higher Education, 05 Jul 2023, Bournemouth University
- EROGamb 2 Project Stakeholder Workshop, Work Package 2: Transparency for Data-driven Safer Gambling, 16 Sep 2022, Bournemouth
- FLIE Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022, Challenges and Practice in HE for Sustainability, 30 Jun 2022, Bournemouth University
- 26th Annual Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (ACM IUI 2021), TiiS: Modeling Dyslexic Students’ Motivation for Enhanced Learning in E-learning Systems, 13 Apr 2021, Virtual
- The SICSA HCI Research Theme: Socially Distant Research Methods Workshop, 14 Jan 2021, Virtual
- 17th IFIP TC 13 International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT 2019), GazeMotive: A Gaze-Based Motivation-Aware E-Learning Tool for Students with Learning Difficulties, 02 Sep 2019, Paphos, Cyprus
- 19th IEEE Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC 2019), Gaze-based Assessment of Dyslexic Students' Motivation within an E-learning Environment, 19 Aug 2019, Leicester, UK
- AAL Forum 2018, Exhibition: EU H2020 ACROSSING Project (Advanced TeChnologies and PlatfoRm fOr Smarter ASsisted LivING), 24 Sep 2018, Bilbao, Spain
- ICEBT 2017: 2017 International Conference on E-Education, E-Business and E-Technology, 10 Sep 2017, Toronto, Canada
- Computing Conference 2017, Visualisation of Health Behavior Data for Children and Young Adults, 18 Jul 2017, London, UK
- 22nd International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (ACM IUI 2017), Conceptual Motivation Modeling for Students with Dyslexia for Enhanced Assistive Learning., 13 Mar 2017, Limassol, Cyprus
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2022)
- PhD in Computer Science (De Montfort University, 2020)
- MSc in Human Computer Interaction (University of St Andrews, 2015)
- British Psychological Society, Member (2022-),
- HEA/Advance HE, Fellow (2022-),
- Association for Computing Machinery, Member (2017-),
Social Media Links
- Author's Website, https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=M71ZINsAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
- Twitter, @ruijieisjerry
- Interdisciplinary Neuroscience Research Centre, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/interdisciplinary-neuroscience-research-centre
- HCI group at Bournemouth University, https://hci.bournemouth.ac.uk/people/
- BU Gambling Research Group Projects, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/projects/responsible-gambling-projects
External Media and Press
- BU holds Enabling Safer Gambling Parliamentary reception, Bournemouth University, 20 Apr 2023. https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2023-04-20/bu-holds-enabling-safer-gambling-parliamentary-reception
- Experts in gambling harm prevention unite in support of markers of harm standardisation, EGBA, 13 Dec 2022. https://www.egba.eu/uploads/2022/12/221213-Harm-prevention-experts-outline-support-for-markers-of-harm-standardisation.pdf
- Research calls for greater transparency around online gambling to help reduce harm, GambleAware, 21 Oct 2022. https://www.begambleaware.org/news/research-calls-greater-transparency-around-online-gambling-help-reduce-harm
- The power of collaboration and diversity in interdisciplinary research: in the case of a responsible gambling project. Soapbox Science, Soapbox Science, 16 May 2022. http://soapboxscience.org/2022/05/16/the-power-of-collaboration-and-diversity-in-interdisciplinary-research-in-the-case-of-a-responsible-gambling-project/