Dr Ruijie Wang
- rwang3 at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Psychology
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Ruijie Wang joined BU as a Lecturer in Psychology in September 2021. Ruijie is a member of Cyberpsychology group, Interdisciplinary Neuroscience Research Centre (INRC) and Bournemouth University HCI research group (BUCHI). She has been working on a GambleAware-funded responsible gambling project since 2020, particularly for transparency and explainability of gambling sites, using multiple approaches including interviews, website and social media analysis, eye tracking and co-design. Before joining BU, she completed her PhD in Computer Science at De Montfort University. Previously, she received MSc degree in Human Computer Interaction from University of St Andrews, and BSc degree in Psychology from East China Normal University.
My research interest covers all aspects of user research in the context of Human Computer Interaction, particularly for online gambling and e-learning. I'm interested in investigating the role of human factors (e.g. gamblers' characteristics, cognitive needs of learners with dyslexia) in the design and development of intelligent interactive systems to deliver personalised services and interventions. I use multidisciplinary research approaches including qualitative and quantitative analyses, statistical modelling, applying machine learning algorithms to automatic assessment of human mind and behaviour based on physiological information such as eye tracking and EEG, as well as other approaches involved in user-centred design and UX evaluation.
I'm welcoming enquiries from both UK and non-UK students who might be interested in pursuing a PhD with me.
- Hodge, S.E., Vykoukal, M., McAlaney, J., Bush-Evans, R.D., Wang, R. and Ali, R., 2022. What’s in the box? Exploring UK players’ experiences of loot boxes in games; the conceptualisation and parallels with gambling. PLoS ONE, 17 (2 February).
- Wang, R., Chen, L. and Ayesh, A., 2022. Multimodal motivation modelling and computing towards motivationally intelligent E-learning systems. CCF Transactions on Pervasive Computing and Interaction.
- Wang, R., Chen, L. and Solheim, I., 2020. Modeling Dyslexic Students’ Motivation for Enhanced Learning in E-learning Systems. The ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems, 10 (3).
- Bancroft, A. et al., 2022. Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022 - Proceedings. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Wang, R., Xu, Y. and Chen, L., 2019. GazeMotive: A Gaze-based Motivation-aware E-learning Tool for Students with Learning Difficulties. In: Lamas, D., Loizides, F., Nacke, L., Petrie, H., Winckler, M. and Zaphiris, P., eds. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 11749. Paphos, Cyprus: Springer, Cham, 544-548.
- Wang, R., Chen, L., Ayesh, A., Shell, J. and Solheim, I., 2019. Gaze-based Assessment of Dyslexic Students’ Motivation within an E-learning Environment. 2019 IEEE SmartWorld, Ubiquitous Intelligence & Computing, Advanced & Trusted Computing, Scalable Computing & Communications, Cloud & Big Data Computing, Internet of People and Smart City Innovation, 610-617 Leicester, UK: IEEE.
- Wang, R., Chen, L. and Solheim, I., 2017. A Conceptual System Architecture for Motivation- enhanced Learning for Students with Dyslexia. Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on e-education, e-business and e-technology, 13-19 Toronto: ACM New York, NY, USA ©2017.
- Wang, R., Chen, L., Solheim, I., Schulz, T. and Ayesh, A., 2017. Conceptual Motivation Modeling for Students with Dyslexia for Enhanced Assistive Learning. SmartLearn ’17 Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Workshop on Intelligent Interfaces for Ubiquitous and Smart Learning, 11-18 ACM New York, NY, USA ©2017.
- Wang, R., Nacenta, M., Zhu, X. and Dai, Q., 2017. Visualization of health behavior data for children and young adults. 2017 Computing Conference, 1207-1216 IEEE.
- Wang, R., Bush-Evans, R., Arden-Close, E., Thomas, S., Hodge, S., McAlaney, J., Bolat, E. and Phalp, K.T., 2021. EROGamb 2 Systematic Review. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Bolat, E., Wang, R., Bush-Evans, R., Arden-Close, E., Hodge, S., McAlaney, J., Thomas, S. and Phalp, K.T., 2021. EROGamb 2 Website Transparency and Responsible Gambling Report. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Wang, R., Bush-Evans, R., McAlaney, J., Bolat, E., Arden-Close, E., Hodge, S., Phalp, K.T. and Thomas, S., 2020. EROGamb 2 Narrative Review. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Bush-Evans, R., Wang, R., McAlaney, J., Ali, R., Bolat, E., Charles, F., Arden-Close, E., Hodge, S., Phalp, K.T. and Thomas, S., 2020. EROGamb 2 Scoping Review. Poole: Bournemouth University.
- Wang, R., 2022. The power of collaboration and diversity in interdisciplinary research: in the case of a responsible gambling project. Soapbox Science. Available from: http://soapboxscience.org/2022/05/16/the-power-of-collaboration-and-diversity-in-interdisciplinary-research-in-the-case-of-a-responsible-gambling-project/.
- Wang, R., 2020. Motivation Modelling and Computation for Personalised Learning of People with Dyslexia. PhD Thesis. School of Computer Science and Informatics, De Montfort University.
- Lopera, L.I., Wang, R. and All partners and ESRs, 2019. Four specialised technology infrastructures for four application categories (Deliverable D2.7, EU H2020 ACROSSING). European Commission Horizon 2020. Published online.
- Vincze, M., Wang, R., Chen, L. and All partners, 2019. Best practice of cross-sector partnerships and guidelines (Deliverable D3.7, EU H2020 ACROSSING). European Commission Horizon 2020. Published online.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Research project supervision
Profile of Teaching UG
- Module leader: Human Computer Interaction
- Lecture & Seminar: Psychology of Social Media and Videogames
- Lecture: Critically Evaluating Psychology: Past and Present
- Final year project supervision
- Lecture: Cybersecurity and Cyberwarfare
- Seminar: Developmental and Counselling Psychology
- Personality and gambling: an eye-tracking study on attention to responsible gambling messages and promotional content on webpages (ACORN, 01 Feb 2022). Awarded
- Gender differences and stereotypes in gambling: an eye-tracking study on reactivity to inducements and attentional bias on webpages (BU Psychology QR, 15 Nov 2021). In Progress
- The effect of agency and feedback on sustained motivation in learning: behaviour and neural underpinnings (BU Psychology QR, 15 Nov 2021). In Progress
- Picturing and voicing responsible online gambling (Economic and Social Research Council, 11 Sep 2020). Completed
- British Psychological Society Cyberpsychology Section Annual Conference 2022, Scientific Committee member (2022-)
- Special issue ‘The Future of Psychology Education: The Role of Cyberpsychology Research & Practice’ for 'Discover Psychology' Springer Journal, Guest editor (2022-), https://link.springer.com/collections/ajebgafied
- 2019 IEEE SmartWorld, Ubiquitous Intelligence & Computing, Advanced & Trusted Computing, Scalable Computing & Communications, Cloud & Big Data Computing, Internet of People and Smart City Innovation, Organizing Committee member (2019-), https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=9060418; SmartWorld 2019 Organizing and Program Committee
- Applied Sciences, from, 01 Jan 2022
- Computers in Human Behavior, from, 01 Jan 2021
- IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, from, 01 Jan 2021
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, from, 01 Jan 2021
- MDPI Sustainability, from, 01 Jan 2021
- Sensors, from, 01 Jan 2021
- IEEE Internet of Things Journal, from, 01 Jan 2021
- MDPI Healthcare, from, 01 Jan 2020
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Soapbox Science 2022: speaking to the public in Brighton about a responsible gambling project (EROGamb 2.0) and how science and tech can help to be 'GambleAware'
- Twynham Sixth Form 2021: presentation to Twynham School students about psychological research methods and Psychology programmes at Bournemouth University
- FLIE Fusion Learning Colloquium 2022, Challenges and Practice in HE for Sustainability, 30 Jun 2022, Bournemouth University
- 26th Annual Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (ACM IUI 2021), TiiS: Modeling Dyslexic Students’ Motivation for Enhanced Learning in E-learning Systems, 13 Apr 2021, Virtual
- The SICSA HCI Research Theme: Socially Distant Research Methods Workshop, 14 Jan 2021, Virtual
- 17th IFIP TC 13 International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT 2019), GazeMotive: A Gaze-Based Motivation-Aware E-Learning Tool for Students with Learning Difficulties, 02 Sep 2019, Paphos, Cyprus
- 19th IEEE Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC 2019), Gaze-based Assessment of Dyslexic Students' Motivation within an E-learning Environment, 19 Aug 2019, Leicester, UK
- AAL Forum 2018, Exhibition: EU H2020 ACROSSING Project (Advanced TeChnologies and PlatfoRm fOr Smarter ASsisted LivING), 24 Sep 2018, Bilbao, Spain
- ICEBT 2017: 2017 International Conference on E-Education, E-Business and E-Technology, 10 Sep 2017, Toronto, Canada
- Computing Conference 2017, Visualisation of Health Behavior Data for Children and Young Adults, 18 Jul 2017, London, UK
- 22nd International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (ACM IUI 2017), Conceptual Motivation Modeling for Students with Dyslexia for Enhanced Assistive Learning., 13 Mar 2017, Limassol, Cyprus
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2022)
- PhD in Computer Science (De Montfort University, 2020)
- MSc in Human Computer Interaction (University of St Andrews, 2015)
- British Psychological Society, Member (2022-),
- HEA/Advance HE, Fellow (2022-),
- Association for Computing Machinery, Member (2017-),