Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a University Practice Learning Adviser at Bournemouth University. Upon qualification in 1987 I worked within the acute medical field specialising in respiratory medicine. After 15 years I then experienced the role of registration and inspection officer for the independent sector before commencing at Bournemouth University. Since 2000 I have been a lecturer and practice education link for both pre and post registration education in health and social care. My role as a University Practice Learning Adviser is multifaceted and I act as a linchpin between practice and the University. Although I am an academic I have a specific remit in practice education which enables to be in key position to contribute to curriculum design and conduct reserch in relation to practice issues.
My interests include providing innovative ways to educate, provide guidance and disseminate information to practice supervisors and assessors who are supporting pre-registration students. More specifically my work focuses on working in partnership with practice partners in an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect in order to provide quality practice placements.
- Jadzinski, M., Humphries, B., Ballo, F. and Lovewell, D., 2023. Shining a spotlight on third year placement opportunities in the nursing home setting. Nursing Times.
- Stainer, L., Humphries, B., Uren, C., Watson, A. and Johns, C., 2022. Practice supervisors and assessors experiences in the Covid 19 pandemic. Nursing Times, 118 (8), 1-3.
- Keeley, S., Humphries, B. and Smith, S., 2020. Showcasing Collaborative Learning in Practice (CLiP) in a nursing home environment: A pioneering approach that enhances student nurses learning experiences in non-traditional settings. Nursing Times.
- Humphries, B., Keeley, S., Stainer, L. and Watson, A., 2020. An alternative placement model for nursing students: Discovering new horizons. British Journal of Health Care Management, 26 (5), 138-143.
- Hirdle, J. and Humphries, B., 2020. Training in coaching to help qualified staff support student nurses. Nursing Times, 116 (11), 37-39.
- Humphries, B. and Smith, S., 2019. Boosting students' learning experiences in care homes. RCNi online.
- Hirdle, J. and Humphries, B., 2013. Fun way to learn for mentors. Nurs Stand, 28 (10), 64-65.
- Humphries, B. and Hirdle, J., 2013. Better together. Nurs Stand, 28 (4), 72.
- Richardson, E., Humphries, B., Fuggle, K., Barber, M., Shepherd, P. and Druce, J., 2001. Student placements in the nursing home setting. Nurs Stand, 16 (13), 39-44.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Practice Supervisor Training
- Practice Assessor training
- Coaching training
Profile of Teaching UG
- Preparation for practice
- Practice supervisor training
- Health Education Wessex, Lead in representing Bournemouth University (2017-2022)
- Health Education Wessex, Representing Bournemouth University (2016-2017)
- Stakeholder, Service Improveemnt Project
- RCN Education Conference 2022, Exploring the lived experiences of practice supervisors and practice assessors during the pandemic: Peering through the Covidl lens, 26 Apr 2022, Virtual
- Phi Mui Chapter Annual Conference 2020, Leadership in Practice Education: Navigating through the Covid 19 corridor, 25 Jun 2020, Bournemouth University
- STTI 4th Biennial European Conference 2018, The exploration and impact of coaching training to support new models of mentorship, 04 Jun 2018, Cambridge
- Partners in Practice: Nurses Working Together Through Change: RCN Education Forum National Conference and Exhibition 2018, The exploration and impact of coaching training to support new models of mentorship, 20 Mar 2018, Newcastle
- NET conference Sept 2015, A year in the life of Masterful Mentoring - The board game, 08 Sep 2015, Cambridge
- Delivering High Quality Seamless Care Nov 2014, Quality Staff = Quality Home, 05 Nov 2014, Merley House Wimborne
- Nurising in Practice Oct 2013, Masterful Mentoring, 15 Oct 2013, Royal Bath Hotel Bournemouth
- 17th International reflective Conference 2013, Using a board game to enhance mentor engagement within nurse education in practice settings, 09 Sep 2013, Swansea
- Mentors Matter July 2013, Introdution to Masterful Mentoring, 23 Jul 2013, University of South Wales
- RCN Education forum International conference and exhibition June 2013, Using a board game to enhance mentor engagement within nurse education in practice settings, 05 Jun 2013, Glasgow
- Consultation request following article published, MS teams meeting. Lucy-may Treagle West Yorkshire, Sarah Keeley, 10 May 2021
- Consultation request following article published, MS teams meeting. Joanne Sutton Sentinel Healthcare Southwest community
- Consultation request following article published, MS teams meeting. Emma Clayton Gateshead health NHS Foundation Trust
- Consultation request regarding recent article published, MS teams meeting. Emma Taylor Leeds Teaching Hospital NHS trust
- PGCE in Academic Practice (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- BSc (Hons) in Nursing (Bournemouth University, 2003)
- Registered Nurse in Healthcare (Nursing and Midwifery, 1987)
- Finalists in the Student Nursing Times Award Partnership of the Year 2022 (Nursing Tmes, 2022)
- Responsibility Award 2021 nominated (VC Awards, 2021)
- BU Community Award shortlisted 2020 (VC Awards, 2020)
- Stakeholder Engagement Award Winner 2019 (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- commendation for notable practice for the University Practice Learning adviser role 2016 (Mursing and Midwifery Council, 2016)
- Finalist: 'High performing education and training team of the year' (Wessex Shine Awards, 2014)
- Winner of Professional Practice Contribution of the Year 2011 (Vice Chancellors Award, 2011)
- Higher education Academy, Fellow (2008-),
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Member (1987-),
- Royal College of Nursing, Member,