- curen at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior University Practice Learning Adviser
- Yeovil Campus, 91 Preston Road, BA20 2DN
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Claire Uren qualified as a registered general nurse in 1990 and worked on an acute surgical unit in a district hospital for five years before moving to community nursing.
Claire became involved in education in 2001, taking on the role of Practice Educator for Bournemouth University, whilst continuing with her practice role as a community nurse. Claire has become increasingly involved in education as a lecturer and practice education link for pre and post registration education in health and social care, currently working as a University Practice Learning Adviser across the Somerset locality. Claire completed her Masters degree in Health and Social Care Education in 2010.
Contributing to an evaluation of the Collaborative Learning in Practice (CLiP) model at Yeovil District Hospital. This involved meetings to set up the project and participating in focus groups as part of the evaluation.
- Stainer, L., Humphries, B., Uren, C., Watson, A. and Johns, C., 2022. Practice supervisors and assessors experiences in the Covid 19 pandemic. Nursing Times, 118 (8), 1-3.
- Harvey, S. and Uren, C.D., 2019. Collaborative learning: Application of the mentorship model for adult nursing students in the acute placement setting. Nurse Education Today, 74, 38-40.
- Uren, C. and Shepherd, P., 2016. Valuing the Student Contribution to Practice. Nursing Times, 1-4.
- Uren, C., 2016. Nurturing the future workforce. Nursing in Practice.
- Shepherd, P. and Uren, C., 2014. Protecting students' supernumerary status. Nursing Times, 110 (20), 18-20.
- Shepherd, P. and Uren, C., 2015. Valuing the student’s contribution. In: RCN Annual International Nursing Research Conference and Exhibition 2015 20-22 April 2015 Nottingham. http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/613453/3.2.2-Shepherd.pdf.
- Shepherd, P. and Uren, C., 2014. Time to learn, time to teach. In: NET2014 - International Networking for Education in Healthcare Conference 2-4 September 2014 Churchill College, Cambridge.
- Shepherd, P. and Uren, C., 2013. Protect the Student; protect the Patient – supernumerary status. In: Phi Mu Inaugural Conference 20-21 June 2013 Bournemouth University.
- Shepherd, P. and Uren, C., 2012. Mentor Education Provision. In: Royal College of Nursing Fine Conference 3-5 October 2012 Cardiff.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Post-registration CPD Framework - 'Learning & Assessing in the Practice Environment' at Levels I, H and M
Profile of Teaching UG
- Professional Role
- Identifying knowledge for practice
- Academic Adviser
- Development and maintenance of a website for practice assessors to improve communication and provide innovative ways for practice assessors to update., Bournemouth University
- Organise and facilitate annual mentorship conferences with UPLA colleagues., Bournemouth University
- Advancing equality, diversity and inclusion in nursing education RCN Education Forum National Conference & Exhibition, The lived experience of practice supervisors and practice assessors: peering through the covid lens, 26 Apr 2022, Online
- Phi Mu Chapter, Leadership in practice education: Navigating through the Covid 19 corridor, 25 Jun 2020, Online
- International Academic Conference celebrating Collaborative Learning, Collaborative learning: Application of the mentorship model for adult nursing students in the acute placement setting, 08 May 2019, Exeter
- RCN Centenary Conference 2016, The Mentor's Legacy, 22 Nov 2016, QE 2 Centre
- RCN Annual International Nursing Research Conference and Exhibition 2015, Valuing the Student Contribution, 20 Apr 2015, Nottingham
- NET2014, Time to teach, time to learn, 08 Sep 2014, Cambridge
- Phi Mu Chapter Inaugural Conference, Protect the student, protect the patient: The role of supernumerary status, 13 Jun 2013, Bournemouth
- FINE Conference, Promoting competence in supporting learners in practice, 03 Oct 2012, Cardiff
- MA in Health and Social Care Education (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- BSc (Hons) in Health Studies (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- Registered Nurse, Adult in Nursing (Dorset School of Nursing, 1990)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, Registered Nurse - Adult & Teacher (1990-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
- Royal College of Nursing, Member,