Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Biography: David McQueen is a lecturer at Bournemouth University and his research interests include questions of media & power, conflict coverage and PR. He has been teaching on media courses at different levels since 1991 and is author of a popular undergraduate textbook Television: a Media Student's Guide. In 2010 he successfully completed his PhD research entitled BBC TV's Panorama, Conflict Coverage and the Westminster Consensus.
As a full time member of staff he has developed and taught on a number of BA and MA units within the Media School and is an active researcher with an interest in issues around media and power, conflict coverage, film and television history and public relations.
David’s recent publications include Fear, loathing and shale gas. The introduction of fracking to the UK: a case study. In Theofilou, A., Grigore, G. and Stancu, A. (eds) 2016. Corporate Social Responsibility in the Post Financial Crisis; Panorama and 9-11. In Lacey, S. and and Paget, D. (eds) 2015. The War on Terror: post-9/11 drama, docudrama and documentary; Media Democracy and Reform in Latin America: The Policy Lessons for Europe for The International Political Economy of Communication: Media and Power in South America (2014) edited by Vivares, E., Cheryl Martens, C., McChesney R... Palgrave. He also continued to a co-authored chapter News journalism and public relations: a dangerous relationship in Allan, S. and Fowler-Watt, K. (eds) Journalism: New Challenges. (2013).
David led the accreditation of new Politics and Media degree launched in September 2012 (now BA Politics) and is Unit Leader for MA units Narrative Constructions (2013-17); Political Journalism (2015-17)
He is unit leader for BA Units Global Perspectives on Politics (2015-17) and two popular media theory options Media and Conflict; Film and International Politics. In his spare time David has produced a number of films and brews Medieval style 'gruit' ale.more
Broad questions of media, power and politics; news, documentary and current affairs; media and conflict; critical perspectives on PR and lobbying.
- Piper, B. and McQueen, D., 2018. How Successful Have Lobbyists Been at Influencing State and National Policy to Further the Completion of the Dakota Access Pipeline, Since the 2008 US Election? Journal of Promotional Communication, 6 (1), 46-71.
- McQueen, D., 2015. CSR and new battle lines in online PR war: A case study of the energy sector and its discontents. Developments in Corporate Governance and Responsibility, 7, 99-125.
- McQueen, D., 2011. A very conscientious brand: A case study of the BBC's current affairs series Panorama. Journal of Brand Management, 1-11.
- McQueen, D., 2009. Book review: Newspeak in the 21st Century by David Edwards and David Cromwell (Media Lens) for Spinwatch. Spinwatch, 25 August.
- McQueen, D., 2008. BBC’s Panorama, war coverage and the ‘Westminster consensus’. Westminster Papers in Culture and Communication, 5, 47-68.
- McQueen, D., 1999. Free press? You must be joking: how the British press is suppressed. Spectacle, 2, 47-62.
- McQueen, D., Grigore, G. and Stancu, A., 2018. Corporate Responsibility and Digital Communities: An International Perspective towards Sustainability. Palgrave.
- McQueen, D., 1998. Television: A Media Student's Guide. London: Arnold.
- Grigore, G., Stancu, A. and McQueen, D., 2018. Turning a Deaf Ear to the Citizen's Voice. Digital Activism and Corporate (Ir)responsibility in the North Dakota Access Pipeline Protest. Corporate responsibility and digital communities: an international perspective towards sustainability. Palgrave, 51-78.
- Ramjaun, T., 2017. Exploring sense of community within an online healthcare context. In: Grigore, G., Stancu, A. and McQueen, D., eds. Corporate Responsibility and Digital Communities An International Perspective towards Sustainability. Springer, 79-95.
- Bolat, E. and Samuelson-Cramp, F., 2017. "Helping the World One ‘Like’ at a Time: The Rise of the Slacktivist". In: Grigore, G., Stancu, A. and McQueen, D., eds. Corporate Responsibility and Digital Communities: An International Perspective towards Sustainability. Palgrave Macmillan.
- McQueen, D., 2016. Fear, loathing and shale gas. The introduction of fracking to the UK: a case study. In: Theofilou, A., Grigore, G. and Stancu, A., eds. Corporate Social Responsibility in the Post-Financial Crisis Era CSR Conceptualisations and International Practices in Times of Uncertainty. Palgrave Macmillan, 221-242.
- McQueen, D., 2016. The trouble with fossil fuels: CSR and the future as Russian Roulette. L'impresa di domani: Innovativa, Sostenibile, Inclusiva. Bocconi University, Milan: Egea, 51-54.
- McQueen, D., 2016. Memory and history on the 2016 CND march in London. In: Reilly, P., Veneti, A. and Atanasova, D., eds. Politics, Protest, Emotion: Interdisciplinary Perspectives. Information School, University of Sheffield: Information School, University of Sheffield, 18-23.
- McQueen, D., 2015. CSR and new battle lines in online PR war: a case study of the energy sector. In: Adi, A., Grigore, G. and Crowther, D., eds. Corporate Social Responsibility in the Digital Age. Bingley: Emerald, 99-125.
- McQueen, D., 2015. Panorama's coverage of 9/11 and the 'War on Terror'. In: Lacey, S. and Paget, D., eds. The 'War on Terror'. Post-9/11 television drama, docudrama and documentary. Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 143-159.
- McQueen, D., 2014. Media Democracy and Reform in Latin America: The Policy Lessons for Europe. The International Political Economy of Communication: Media and Power in South America (International Political Economy Series). Palgrave Macmillan.
- McQueen, D., 2014. Between a rock and a hard place: the state of current affairs. Chapter in: The End of Journalism Version 2.0 edited by Alec Charles. In: Charles, A., ed. The End of Journalism Version 2.0. Peter Lang Pub Incorporated, 171-190.
- Moloney, K., Jackson, D. and McQueen, D., 2013. News journalism and public relations: a dangerous relationship. In: Allan, S. and Fowler, K., eds. Journalism: New Challenges. Poole, England: CJCR: Centre for Journalism & Communication Research, Bournemouth University, 259-281.
- McQueen, D., 2013. Panorama's coverage of 9/11 and the ‘War on Terror'. In: Paget, D. and Lacey, S., eds. UK drama and documentary responses to the War on Terror. Cardiff University Press.
- McQueen, D., 2010. 1970s Current Affairs: A Golden Age. In: Forster, L. and Harper, S., eds. British Culture and Society in the 1970s: The Lost Decade. Newcastle upon Tyne, England: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 76-92.
- McQueen, D., 2015. The trouble with fossil fuels: CSR and the future as Russian Roulette. In: 5th International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethics and Sustainable Business (ICSR 2016) 6 October 2015-7 October 2016 Bocconi University, Milan, Italy 6-7 October 2016. Egea, 51-54.
- McQueen, D., 2014. At the edge of the world: power, protest and the Corrib gas field. In: MECCSA Annual Conference 8-10 January 2014 Bournemouth.
- McQueen, D., Jackson, D. and Moloney, K., 2011. The ‘PRisation’ of news and media literacy: an audience reception study. In: Future of Journalism Conference 8-9 September 2011 Cardiff University.
- McQueen, D., 2010. 'Panorama's coverage of 9-11 and the war on terror'’. In: Political Studies Association (PSA) Conference: ixty Years of Political Studies: Achievements and Futures 29 March 2010 Edinburgh University, Scotland.
- McQueen, D., 2010. Panorama and the Thatcher Interviews. In: ‘No Such’ Symposium 29 January 2010 Bournemouth University, England.
- McQueen, D., 2008. On the Warpath: The British Government, the BBC and Panorama. In: Reconsidering Conflict, Terror and Resolution Conference 11-12 September 2008 Strathclyde University, Glasgow.
- McQueen, D., 2008. 1970s Current Affairs: A Golden Age? In: 1970s British Culture Conference 1-3 July 2008 Portsmouth University.
- McQueen, D., 2008. Approaches to Broadcast Archive Research –BBC’s Current Affairs Series Panorama. In: Postgraduate Research Conference October 2008 Bournemouth University, England.
- McQueen, D., 2007. Investigative Journalism, Iraq and the BBC Current Affairs Series Panorama. In: Communication and Conflict Conference: Propaganda, Spin and Lobbying in the Global Age 7-9 September 2007 Department of Geography and Sociology, Strathclyde University, Glasgow.
- Lilleker, D., 2017. Evidence to the Culture, Media and Sport Committee 'Fake news' inquiry presented by the Faculty for Media & Communication, Bournemouth University.. Bournemouth University.
- Lilleker, D., Thorsen, E., Jackson, D. and Veneti, A., 2016. US Election Analysis 2016: Media, Voters and the Campaign. Bournemouth: Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture and Community. Available from: http://www.electionanalysis2016.us/.
- McQueen, D., 2015. Did the Green Surge make any difference?. Political Studies Association.
- McQueen, D., 2010. BBC TV's Panorama, conflict coverage and the 'Westminster consensus'. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University; Media School.
- Marked for Life, 2006. Video. Available from: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439243/.
- McQueen, D. and McMurtrie, W.. The Sudden Madness of Friedrich Nietzsche. Public rehearsed reading. The Winchester, 39 Poole Hill, Bournemouth, BH2 5PW. 29 March 2017.
- Holland, P., Chignell, H., Wilson, S., Eglezou, G., Wray, E. and McQueen, D., 2010. "There's no such thing as society?" A Study of broadcasting and the public services under the three Thatcher governments, 1979-1992. Poole, England: Southern Broadcasting History Group. Available from: http://www.nosuch-research.co.uk/.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Political Journalism
- Narrative Construction
- PR Communications Skills
Profile of Teaching UG
- Global Perspectives on Politics
- Reputation Management in a Global Context
- Media theory option: Media and Conflict
- Media theory option: Film and Political Change
Steve McQueen's Hunger and the Troubles, Salisbury College, 06 Apr 2015 more
Lecture on Steve McQueen's film Hunger
- EUROPARL: Engaging the Public in the 2014 European Parliamentary Elections (Bournemouth University, 01 Sep 2014). Awarded
- Politics events coordinator, CMC. <a href="https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-11-04/bu-students-provide-live-coverage-us-presidential-election" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-11-04/bu-students-provide-live-coverage-us-presidential-election<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- Organised two 3 day-visits to Brussels and EU Parliament for a group of thirty Politics students., CMC Politics
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Organised screening and debate chaired by President of BU’s Politics Society, Thomas Dence, panellists including former leader of the Green Party Natalie Bennett, Conservative MP Simon Hoare, General Secretary for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) Kate Hudson, and politics student, Daniel Williams, came together to debate the motion of retaining a nuclear defence system. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-10-10/mps-campaigners-attend-debate-nuclear-weapons-bu
- 5th International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethics and Sustainable Business (ICSR 2016), The trouble with fossil fuels: CSR and the future as Russian Roulette, 06 Oct 2016, Bocconi University, Milan, Italy
- Title: Carbon Literacy for Film and TV (and Radio/Festivals), 14 Feb 2017
- Doctoral Supervision Development New Supervisors, 01 Jan 2015
- DPhil in Broadcast History (Bournemouth University, 2010)
- MA in Mass Communications (Leicester University, 2000)
- PG Cert in English with Media Option (Manchester University, 1991)
- BA (Hons) in English and American Literature (University of Kent at Canterbury, UK, 2011)
- Southern Broadcasting History Group, Member,
- Media Reform Coalition
External Media and Press
- Interviewed multiple times on UK election, Brexit referendum for Talk Radio Europe, Talk Radio Europe, 29 Mar 2017. http://www.talkradioeurope.com/
- #BUEU2014: MP Bob Ainsworth talks to BU students about EU and young voter disengagement, Daily Echo, 12 Apr 2014. http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/features/student_eye/news/11145317._BUEU2014__MP_Bob_Ainsworth_talks_to_BU_students_about_EU_and_young_voter_disengagement/
- The Daily, Politics - UK General Election Brexit. http://www.talkradioeurope.com/on-air