Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I joined the Department of Archaeology, Anthropology & Forensic Science at Bournemouth University in 2014 as a Lecturer in Archaeology. I am currently the unit leader for Field and Research Skills, Later Prehistoric Britain and Archaeological Practice. While at Bournemouth I have taught aspects of the following units;
• Ancient Peoples and Places
• Archaeological Science
• Approaches to Archaeology
• Archaeological Practice
• Management of Archaeological Materials
• Post-Excavation studies
• Professional Practice in Post-Excavation
• Recording and Understanding Archaeological
• Reporting, Investigative and Practical Skills
• Studying Ancient Materials
• Themes in Archaeology and Anthropology
Before joining the department I completed an MSc in Archaeomaterials and a PhD in Archaeology at the University of Sheffield. While at Sheffield I was involved in the Sintashta Collaborative Archaeology Project, The Stonehenge Riverside Project and the Purbeck Experimental and Archaeological Research School (PEARS)...
My current research includes the use of portable x-ray fluorescence in archaeology, the integration of archaeological science, field archaeology and anthropology, productive communities and resource exploitation.more
- Vaïopoulou, M., Pitman, D., Manley, H. et al., 2020. The Vlochos Archaeological Project: Report on the 2016– 2018 seasons of Greek-Swedish archaeological work at Vlochos, Thessaly. Opuscula.
- Tucker, M., Brisbane, M., Pitman, D. and Kearn, O., 2020. SOURCE OF ROMAN STONE FOR AQUAE SULIS (BATH, ENGLAND): FIELD EVIDENCE, FACIES, pXRF CHEM-DATA AND A CAUTIONARY TALE OF CONTAMINATION. The Geological Curator.
- Horn, C., Pitman, D. and Potter, R., 2019. An evaluation of the visualisation and interpretive potential of applying GIS data processing techniques to 3D rock art data. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 27.
- Brown, A. and Pitman, D., 2019. Resource Procurement and Inter-regional Connections in pre-contact Taranaki, New Zealand: new evidence from geochemical analysis of obsidian. Archaeology in Oceania.
- Russell, M., Cheetham, P., Barrass, K., Evans, D., Hambleton, E., Manley, H., Pitman, D. and Stewart, D., 2019. The Durotriges Project 2017: an interim statement. Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society, 139, 127-133.
- Russell, M., Cheetham, P., Evans, D., Hambleton, E., Hewitt, I., Manley, H., Gale, J., Pitman, D. and Stewart, D., 2016. The Durotriges Project, Phase Three: an interim statement. Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society, 137.
- Pitman, D. and Doonan, R.C.P., 2016. Beyond the grave: Crafting identities in the Middle Bronze Age Southern Trans Urals. In: Horn, C., ed. Warfare in Bronze Age Society: The Impact of Combat and Warfare on Societies in Bronze Age Europe and Beyond. Cambridge University Press.
- Doonan, R.C.P., Hanks, B., Pitman, D., Kupriyanova, E. and Zdanovich, D., 2015. Eventful deaths – eventful lives? Bronze age mortuary practices in the late prehistoric Eurasian steppes of central Russia (2100–1500 BC). In: Renfrew, C., Boyd, M. and Morley, I., eds. Death Rituals, Social Order and the Archaeology of Immortality in the Ancient World: 'Death Shall Have No Dominion'. Cambridge University Press.
- Doonan, R., Hanks, B., Zdanovich, D., Kupriyanova, E., Pitman, D., Batanina, N. and Johnson, J., 2014. Metals, society, and economy in the Late Prehistoric Eurasian Steppe. Archaeometallurgy in Global Perspective: Methods and Syntheses. 755-784.
- Hanks, B.K., Chechuchkov, I., Doonan, R.C.P., Pitman, D., Mušic, B., Medarich, I. and Mori, M., 2014. Noveyshiye rezul'taty i perspektivy issledovaniy mikrorayona drevnego rasseleniya Ust'ye i doliny reki Nizhniy Toguzakmore. Drevneye Ust'ye: Ukreplennoye poseleniye bronzovogo veka v Yuzhnom Zaural'ye. Chelyabinsk Pedagogical University.
- Doonan, R.C.P., Pitman, D., Hanks, B.K., Zdanovich, D. and Kupriyanova, E., 2013. Organisation Der Metallurgie Der Sintašta-Kultur. In: Gorelik, A. and Linden, M., eds. Aus dem Herzen Eurasiens – Schätze des alten Kasachstans. Bochum.
- Pitman, D., Hanks, B.K., Montgomery, D., Van Brempt, L., Kupriyanova, E. and Zdanovich, D., 2013. Exploring Metallurgy at Stepnoye: the role of ceramics in the matte conversion process. In: Doonan, R.C.P. and Dungworth, D., eds. Accidental and Experimental Archaeometallurgy.. HSM.
- Pitman, D., 2012. Review of “Experimentation and Interpretation: the use of experimental archaeology in the study of the past”. Archaeological Review from Cambridge. Cambridge.
- Garcia, A., Duckworth, C., Welham, K., Govantes-Edwards, D., Pitman, D., Alonso, M., Ríos, J.M., Jiménez, M.C., Montanari, E. and Moore, B., 2018. La producción cerámica en Granada entre la época medieval y moderna. Los talleres del secano de la Alhambra. In: International Workshop. Glaze Technology in the Western Mediterranean: Islamic and Christian traditions 25 January 2018 Museo Nacional de Cerámica y Artes Suntuarias “González Martí” de Valencia. Museo Nacional de Cerámica y Artes Suntuarias de Valencia.
- Daniel Carter. The Origins of, and specialisation within, the Verwood-type Pottery Industry
- Owen Kearn, 2022. Investigating & interpreting the sources of stone & ceramic building materials used in Roman Bath
Profile of Teaching PG
- Recording and Understanding Archaeological Landscapes
- Management of Archaeological Materials
- Professional Practice in Post-Excavation
Profile of Teaching UG
- Ancient Peoples and Places
- Applications of Archaeological Science
- Approaches to Archaeology
- Archaeological Practice
- Post-Excavation studies
- Studying Ancient Materials
- AAFS Study Skills
- Themes in Archaeology and Anthropology
- Gathering Time
- Field and Research Skills
- Later Prehistoric Britain
- Performing the Past (HLF, 01 Sep 2019). Awarded
- Understanding the relationships between high-temperature industries and early Islamic urbanisation. (British Academy, 31 Aug 2016). Awarded
- Västsvensk arkeologidag, Vlochos Archaeological Project: Investigating urban development using non-invasive techniques in Thessaly Greece, 22 Feb 2019, Göteborg
- Near Surface Geophysics Group: annual meeting, The Vlochos Archaeological Project: Investigating urban development using non-invasive techniques in Thessaly, Greece, 04 Dec 2018, London
- Archaeological work of Thessaly and Central Greece, Volos, The Vlochos Archaeological Project 2016-2017: The first two years of Greek-Swedish collaboration at the site of Vlochos, Karditsa prefecture, 01 Mar 2018, Volos
- 41st International Symposium on Archaeometry, New prospects: geophysical and geochemical survey at the 10th century city of Madinat al-Zahra, Spain, 15 May 2016, Kalamata, Greece
- Computer Applications in Archaeology - International, Seeing things differently. The use of combined geochemical and geophysical prospection techniques to investigate early Islamic town planning., 29 Mar 2016, Oslo, Norway
- Computer Applications in Archaeology - UK, Seeing things differently. The use of combined geochemical and geophysical prospection techniques to investigate early Islamic town planning., 05 Mar 2016, Leicester, UK
- PhD in Archaeology (The University of Sheffield, 2015)
- MSc in Archaeomaterials (The University of Sheffield, 2008)
- BSc (Hons) in Archaeology (Bournemouth University, 2006)
External Media and Press
- Lost Greek city dating back 2,500 years discovered by archaeologists, The Independent, 13 Dec 2016. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/greece-lost-city-vlochos-university-of-gothenburg-bournemouth-a7471246.html
- Mysterious lost Greek city dating back 2500 years discovered under hill near Athens, Daily Mail, 13 Dec 2016. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4028328/Mysterious-lost-Greek-city-dating-2-500-years-discovered-hidden-hill-near-Athens.html
- 2,500-year-old LOST Greek city FOUND: Archaeologists brimming with excitement at discovery, Daily Express, 13 Dec 2016. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/742922/archaeologists-greece-discover-ancient-city-2500-years-old
- BBC South Today, Archaeological dig reveals medieval industry at Wytch Farm in Dorset, Graveling, M, 04 Jul 2019
- National Afternoon Live, Archaeological dig reveals medieval industry at Wytch Farm in Dorset, Gravelling, M, 04 Jul 2019