Dr Evi Karathanasopoulou
- 01202 962276
- evik at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Audio Production
- Weymouth House W212, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
- Artecitya Residency: organised by Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki in the context of the programme Artecitya, supported by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union.
- Blog post on my Fused Co-Creation work
- Bournemouth University - Centre for Media History
- BU News Article on Artecitya Co-Creation Work
- FREIRAUM in Berlin, On the State of Freedom in Europe: Exhibition
- New Article in the Radio Journal: Atmosphere in Radio & Architecture
- Radio Documentary and the Formation of Urban Aesthetics
Back to top
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2019. Atmosphere in Radio and Architecture: Using ‘The Revenge’ radio play in interdisciplinary teaching as a means to understand notions of abstraction and the tensions between materiality and immateriality in building physical and imagined spaces. Radio Journal: International Studies in Broadcast and Audio Media, 17 (1), 113-129.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2012. Book review: Voice: Vocal Aesthetics in Digital Arts and Media. Convergence: the International journal of research into new media technologies, 18 (4), 473-474.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2014. Ex-static but not Ecstatic: Digital Radio and the End of Interference. In: Oliveira, M., Stachyra, G. and Starkey, G., eds. Radio: The Resilient Medium. Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies, 95-100.
- Karathanasopoulou, E. and Crisell, A., 2013. Radio Documentary and the Formation of Urban Aesthetics. In: Bijsterveld, K., ed. Soundscapes of the Urban Past: Staged Sound as Mediated Cultural Heritage. Transcript, 169-178.
- Lockwood, A., Mitchell, C. and Karathanasopoulou, E., 2012. Communicating Sustainability: Teaching Sustainable Media Practice. In: Allen Bartels, K. and Parker, K.A., eds. Teaching Sustainability / Teaching Sustainably. Stylus.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2019. Never Static. In: Radio Studies, Practices and Futures – Guy Starkey memorial symposium 18 February 2019 University of Sunderland.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2018. Atmos[ph]ree: Using ‘The Revenge’ radio play in interdisciplinary teaching as a means to understand the tensions between materiality and immateriality in building physical and imagined spaces. In: The Radio Conference 2018 - A Transnational Forum 10-13 July 2018 Prato, Italy..
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2016. Letters to America. In: The Radio Conference 2016: Transnational Radio Encounters 5-8 July 2016 Utrecht University - Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2014. Ex-static but not Ecstatic: Digital Radio and the End of Interference. In: Starkey, G., Oliveira, M. and Stachyra, G., eds. ECREA Radio Research Section: Radio the Resilient Medium 11-13 September 2013 London. Sunderland: Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies.
- Mitchell, C. and Karathanasopoulou, E., 2011. Communicating Sustainability. In: Parker, K. and Barrels, K., eds. MeCCSA 10-12 January 2011 Salford.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2015. An Examination of the Concept of Intimacy in Radio Studies, Combining Mainstream and Non-Mainstream Theories and Practices. PhD Thesis. University of Sunderland - Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free. Audio Installation. 3rd Artecitya Art Science Technology Festival - THE NEW NEW, realised by TIF - HELEXPO. 83rd Thessaloniki International Fair’s Pavilion 2 - Thessaloniki, Greece. 8-16 September 2018.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free 2 - In Thessaloniki. Audio Installation. Freiraum Exhibition: From Berlin to Thessaloniki. LABattoir -35, 26th October Street, Thessaloniki, Greece. 17-24 May 2019.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free 2. Audio Installation. FREIRAUM in Berlin, On the State of Freedom in Europe: Exhibition, discussion, concert, performance in Berlin. ZK/U — Zentrum für Kunst und Urbanistik /Center for Art and UrbanisticsSiemensstraße 27, 10551 Berlin. 12-17 March 2019.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Audio Production
- Ideas, Research and Development
- Factual Production - Interactive Documentary
- Mediated Sound and its Meanings
- Graduate Production Project
Stories with Sound and Radio Documentary, LABattoir, Thessaloniki - Greece, 12 Aug 2018 more
As part of my funded Artist Residency by Artecitya in Thessaloniki – Greece, I was invited to lead a 3 day workshop as a public engagement activity. Members of the public, after an application and selection process, attended the workshop which aimed to engage them with the idea of Audio Media and help them with the creation of a local Podcast series - a concept still new within that community. This local community group is also taking part in my own artwork, which I am creating within the Artecitya framework for the Freiraum project, headed and funded by the Goethe – Institut. The group aims to collect local voices that will form the first episode of their podcast while at the same time being used by me as one of the components of my own artwork – details of this artwork can be found elsewhere in this webpage. Please visit this page for details and pictures from the workshop: http://www.artecitya.gr/evi-karathanasopoulou.html#
Sound and the City, Venice, Verona, Vicenza - Italy, 24 Apr 2017 more
“Two Cities: Patras – Venice’ Workshop for the First Year cohort of the Department of Architecture of the University of Patras, Greece.
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki, London and Glasgow, in collaboration with ArtBOX (Thessaloniki, GR) and AWAZ Cumbria (Carlisle, UK) have built a project that will target two aspects connected to our personal conception and expression, professional life and social / cultural identity, through the perspective of minorities and socially marginalised groups. In order to highlight these issues, artists Evi Karathanasopoulou (UK) and Thomas Koch (DE), as residents of the Artecitya by Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki programme, will forge a dialogue between different social groups and minorities from the two cities and will transmit their voices to the world. The panel discussion “Engaging with Minority Communities & Socially Marginalised Groups to create Freiraum in Thessaloniki” aims at: a) sharing good practices from our partner institution in Carlisle, AWAZ Cumbria; and b) introducing the mapping of the situation in Thessaloniki, in order for the project to respond to that and to the needs of the groups whose voices we intend to spotlight. This is a first step in the process, that will be followed-up by the two artists during their stay in Thessaloniki in the following months and will lead up to the final presentation of the project in Thessaloniki and Carlisle by the end of 2018 and in Berlin in Spring 2019.
- The Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-),
External Media and Press
- Holidays in an English Vacation Spot: Nick Cave, the British Beach and Jaguars in Bournemouth, Documento - Greek National Newspaper, 18 Mar 2018. https://www.documentonews.gr/article/ta-zompi-peinane-akomh-sto-docville-thn-kyriakh-me-to-documento
The data on this page was last updated at 04:04 on June 17, 2019.