Dr Evi Karathanasopoulou
- 01202 962276
- evik at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Audio Production
- Weymouth House W203, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
- Artecitya Residency: organised by Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki in the context of the programme Artecitya, supported by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union.
- Blog post on my Fused Co-Creation work
- BU News Article on Artecitya Co-Creation Work
- FREIRAUM in Berlin, On the State of Freedom in Europe: Exhibition
- New Article in the Radio Journal: Atmosphere in Radio & Architecture
- Radio Documentary and the Formation of Urban Aesthetics
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Evi Karathanasopoulou is a Senior Lecturer in Audio Production at Bournemouth University, UK. She works across theory and practice in the field of Audio Media. She studied classical music in Athens- Greece before moving to the United Kingdom where she gained a 1st class (Hons) BA in Media Production: TV & Radio from the University of Sunderland and an MA in Radio from Goldsmiths College. She gained her Ph.D. at the University of Sunderland, researching radio as an intimate medium, while also teaching across undergraduate and postgraduate Media courses there. Her latest theory output is an interdisciplinary article on the concept of atmosphere in radio and architecture. Her latest practice output is Air Free, an audio installation artwork created as part of the Project Freiraum, an international collaboration with the Goethe-Institut - with the involvement of local stakeholders in Greece and the UK. A short video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGulsX6XO04. In March 2020 two Research Films were published in a Charity Impact project lead by her... See the publications section on this page for more info.more
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2019. Atmosphere in Radio and Architecture: Using ‘The Revenge’ radio play in interdisciplinary teaching as a means to understand notions of abstraction and the tensions between materiality and immateriality in building physical and imagined spaces. Radio Journal: International Studies in Broadcast and Audio Media, 17 (1), 113-129.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2012. Book review: Voice: Vocal Aesthetics in Digital Arts and Media. Convergence: the International journal of research into new media technologies, 18 (4), 473-474.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2020. Radio, Web-Radio and Podcasting in Greece: Past, Present and Futures. In: Karatzogianni, A. and Veneti, A., eds. The Emerald Handbook of Digital Media in Greece: Journalism and Political Communication in Times of Crisis. Emerald Publishing.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2014. Ex-static but not Ecstatic: Digital Radio and the End of Interference. In: Oliveira, M., Stachyra, G. and Starkey, G., eds. Radio: The Resilient Medium. Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies, 95-100.
- Karathanasopoulou, E. and Crisell, A., 2013. Radio Documentary and the Formation of Urban Aesthetics. In: Bijsterveld, K., ed. Soundscapes of the Urban Past: Staged Sound as Mediated Cultural Heritage. Transcript, 169-178.
- Lockwood, A., Mitchell, C. and Karathanasopoulou, E., 2012. Communicating Sustainability: Teaching Sustainable Media Practice. In: Allen Bartels, K. and Parker, K.A., eds. Teaching Sustainability / Teaching Sustainably. Stylus.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2019. Never Static. In: Radio Studies, Practices and Futures – Guy Starkey memorial symposium 18 February 2019 University of Sunderland.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2018. Atmos[ph]ree: Using ‘The Revenge’ radio play in interdisciplinary teaching as a means to understand the tensions between materiality and immateriality in building physical and imagined spaces. In: The Radio Conference 2018 - A Transnational Forum 10-13 July 2018 Prato, Italy..
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2016. Letters to America. In: The Radio Conference 2016: Transnational Radio Encounters 5-8 July 2016 Utrecht University - Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2014. Ex-static but not Ecstatic: Digital Radio and the End of Interference. In: Starkey, G., Oliveira, M. and Stachyra, G., eds. ECREA Radio Research Section: Radio the Resilient Medium 11-13 September 2013 London. Sunderland: Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies.
- Mitchell, C. and Karathanasopoulou, E., 2011. Communicating Sustainability. In: Parker, K. and Barrels, K., eds. MeCCSA 10-12 January 2011 Salford.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2015. An Examination of the Concept of Intimacy in Radio Studies, Combining Mainstream and Non-Mainstream Theories and Practices. PhD Thesis. University of Sunderland - Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free. Audio Installation. 3rd Artecitya Art Science Technology Festival - THE NEW NEW, realised by TIF - HELEXPO. 83rd Thessaloniki International Fair’s Pavilion 2 - Thessaloniki, Greece. 8-16 September 2018.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free 2. Audio Installation. FREIRAUM in Berlin, On the State of Freedom in Europe: Exhibition, discussion, concert, performance in Berlin. ZK/U — Zentrum für Kunst und Urbanistik /Center for Art and UrbanisticsSiemensstraße 27, 10551 Berlin. 12-17 March 2019.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free 2 - In Thessaloniki. Audio Installation. Freiraum Exhibition: From Berlin to Thessaloniki. LABattoir -35, 26th October Street, Thessaloniki, Greece. 17-24 May 2019.
- Charity Impact Case Study: Visiting Mum, 2020. Video. Bournemouth, United Kingdom: Bournemouth University. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV-SaxgVDa4&list=PLCAGWsnZKYKWdbN7cHokrIf0mBdvLbtQ8&index=1.
- Charity Impact Case Study: Living Positive, 2020. Video. Bournemouth, United Kingdom: Bournemouth University. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9QA1mmxXOk&list=PLCAGWsnZKYKWdbN7cHokrIf0mBdvLbtQ8&index=2.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2019. Air Free 2 - Listen to the audio and read the poems from the artwork.. Berlin - Germany & Thessaloniki- Greece.
- Koliadimas, D., Karathanasopoulou, E. et al., 2019. How to you do: 100 constructive Provocations -Final publication of Artecitya by Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki, in collaboration with ArtBOX supported by Creative Europe.. International.
Profile of Teaching UG
- AUDIO PRODUCTION - Level 4. I have been teaching this unit since 2013-14 and have led this unit since 2014-15. Here we give students a comprehensive introduction to audio media both in theory and pratice. Students are trained in both portable and studio recording. In 2017 I introduced binaural audio into the curriculum in response to the growing interest in VR/360 media and their diverse functions. This has proven successful and we have started to see students who continue using this technology in order to create outstanding graduate work as they move through the BA Media Production course. a
- IDEAS, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT - Level 6. This unit prepares the students in the BA Media Production course for their Graduate Projects. We work on their ideas and help them create media solutions for a defined client and a defined audience.
- FACTUAL PRODUCTION - Level 5. Here students work in groups in order to create Interactive Documentaries. Bringing together their knowledge of different media. This unit truly prepares students form cross-media work.
- MEDIATED SOUND AND ITS MEANINGS - Level 5. I have been teaching this unit since 2015. I have written and deliver this theory option to students from across the Media Production department (BA Media Production, TV, Film & Scriptwriting). The content is based on my doctoral work (published online in 2015) looking at Radio as an Intimate medium and at the intimate functions of sound in visual media such as film.
- GRADUATE PRODUCTION PROJECT - Level 6. This is the biggest unit in the BA Media Production course, worth 40 credits. I have taught in this unit since 2015-16 and have led this unit since 2016-17. I also supervise a number of student projects in the unit each year and look after a dozen other supervisors who work in the unit. The students produce incredibly diverse media work here and are given creative freedom to use one or more media in order to tackle genres and themes of their choosing. I recently worked with our marketing team in creating a showcase of this work, some of which has received international and national acclaim and exposure. Visit here to see some of this amazing student work: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-media-production/ba-hons-media-production-final-year-graduate-projects
Stories with Sound and Radio Documentary, LABattoir, Thessaloniki - Greece, 12 Aug 2018 more
As part of my funded Artist Residency by Artecitya in Thessaloniki – Greece, I was invited to lead a 3 day workshop as a public engagement activity. Members of the public, after an application and selection process, attended the workshop which aimed to engage them with the idea of Audio Media and help them with the creation of a local Podcast series - a concept still new within that community. This local community group is also taking part in my own artwork, which I am creating within the Artecitya framework for the Freiraum project, headed and funded by the Goethe – Institut. The group aims to collect local voices that will form the first episode of their podcast while at the same time being used by me as one of the components of my own artwork – details of this artwork can be found elsewhere in this webpage. Please visit this page for details and pictures from the workshop: http://www.artecitya.gr/evi-karathanasopoulou.html#
Sound and the City, Venice, Verona, Vicenza - Italy, 24 Apr 2017 more
“Two Cities: Patras – Venice’ Workshop for the First Year cohort of the Department of Architecture of the University of Patras, Greece.
- Member, Quality Assurance and Enhancement Group
- Programme Leader, BA (Hons) Media Production
- Global Engagement Lead, Media Production Department
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki, London and Glasgow, in collaboration with ArtBOX (Thessaloniki, GR) and AWAZ Cumbria (Carlisle, UK) have built a project that will target two aspects connected to our personal conception and expression, professional life and social / cultural identity, through the perspective of minorities and socially marginalised groups. In order to highlight these issues, artists Evi Karathanasopoulou (UK) and Thomas Koch (DE), as residents of the Artecitya by Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki programme, will forge a dialogue between different social groups and minorities from the two cities and will transmit their voices to the world. The panel discussion “Engaging with Minority Communities & Socially Marginalised Groups to create Freiraum in Thessaloniki” aims at: a) sharing good practices from our partner institution in Carlisle, AWAZ Cumbria; and b) introducing the mapping of the situation in Thessaloniki, in order for the project to respond to that and to the needs of the groups whose voices we intend to spotlight. This is a first step in the process, that will be followed-up by the two artists during their stay in Thessaloniki in the following months and will lead up to the final presentation of the project in Thessaloniki and Carlisle by the end of 2018 and in Berlin in Spring 2019. Link: https://www.goethe.de/prj/fre/en/the/21177229/21180808.html
- Soundscapes of the Urban Past: Staged Sound as Mediated Cultural Heritage Workshop at Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands, Radio Documentary and the Formation of Urban Aesthetics - Co-Authored with Professor Andrew Crisell, 30 Mar 2012, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- PGCE in Education (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- PhD in Radio (University of Sunderland, 2015)
- MA in Radio (Goldsmiths College, University of London, 2007)
- BA (Hons) in Media Production (Television and Radio) (University of Sunderland, 2006)
- Music Diploma in Classical Harmony (Music Conservatory Phillipos Nakas – Athens, Greece, 2003)
- Experimental Media Research Centre (EMERGE) - Bournemouth University, Member (2020-), https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/emerge
- The Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-),
External Media and Press
- Web Coverage of Freiraum Exhibition at LABattoir in Thessaloniki -Greece in May 2019, culturenow.gr, 16 May 2019. https://www.culturenow.gr/sti-thessaloniki-ekthesi-sta-palia-sfageia/
- Der Tagesspiegel Coverage (in German) of the Freiraum Exhibition in Berlin Gernamy, Der Tagesspiegel - Major National German Newspaper, 11 Mar 2019. https://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/projekt-freiraum-des-goethe-instituts-wie-ist-es-um-die-freiheit-in-europa-bestellt/24084162.html
- Coverage of the Freiraum Project on National Greek Television for the Programme "Citizens of Europe", ERT 1 - National Greek TV Channel, 30 Dec 2018. https://webtv.ert.gr/ert1/polites-tis-eyropis/30dek2018-polites-tis-eyropis/
- GLGN of the Gernan Embassy covers the Freiraum Project and my Outreach in Carlisle, GLGN, 30 Aug 2018. http://www.glgn.org.uk/events/workshop-freiraum-presents-speakeasy-carlisle-thessaloniki/
- Holidays in an English Vacation Spot: Nick Cave, the British Beach and Jaguars in Bournemouth, Documento - Greek National Newspaper, 18 Mar 2018. https://www.documentonews.gr/article/ta-zompi-peinane-akomh-sto-docville-thn-kyriakh-me-to-documento