Dr Evi Karathanasopoulou
- 01202 962276
- evik at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Audio Production
- Weymouth House W203, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I joined Bournemouth University in January 2014 and I am a Principal Academic in Audio Production. I work across theory and practice in the field of Audio Media. I studied classical music in Athens- Greece before moving to the UK to gain a 1st class (Hons) BA in Media Production: TV & Radio from the University of Sunderland (2006) and an MA in Radio from Goldsmiths College (2007) with an AHRC scholarship. I won an Award for excellence for the best Short-form Radio Report from the Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC) for my MA work (2008). I gained my Ph.D. at the University of Sunderland (2015) with a studentship from their Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies, researching radio as an intimate medium, while also teaching across UG and PG Media courses there. I was supervised by Dr Martin Shingler, Prof. Andrew Crisell and Prof. Shaun Moores. My viva was examined by Prof. David Hendy (external) and Prof. Guy Starkey (internal). Earlier in my career I taught radio production in a private college in Athens-Greece... My practice background includes student radio and freelance work in radio and audio production, including journalism work in arts and news and current affairs. My latest theory output is an interdisciplinary article on the concept of atmosphere in radio and architecture. My latest practice output is Air Free, an audio installation artwork created as part of the Project Freiraum, an international collaboration with the Goethe-Institut and other stakeholders (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGulsX6XO04). In March 2020 I was Principal Investigator in two co-authored Research Films in a Charity Impact project. I am a fellow of the Higher Education Academy and welcome PhD proposals in the fields of Radio, Podcasting, Audio Media and Sound Art.more
- Karathanasopoulou, E. and Williams, H., 2023. Podcasting as a Feminist Space for the Disclosure of Trauma and Intimate Embodied Experience: The Heart podcast as a case study of Quiet Activism. The Radio Journal: international studies in broadcast and audio media, 21 (1).
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2019. Atmosphere in Radio and Architecture: Using ‘The Revenge’ radio play in interdisciplinary teaching as a means to understand notions of abstraction and the tensions between materiality and immateriality in building physical and imagined spaces. Radio Journal: International Studies in Broadcast and Audio Media, 17 (1), 113-129.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2012. Book review: Voice: Vocal Aesthetics in Digital Arts and Media. Convergence: the International journal of research into new media technologies, 18 (4), 473-474.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2023. Audio within audio: Story-telling and the Evocation of Emotion in Podcasting. In: Chignell, H. and McDonald, K., eds. The Bloomsbury Handbook of Radio. Bloomsbury.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2020. Radio, Web-Radio and Podcasting in Greece: Past, Present and Futures. The Emerald Handbook of Digital Media in Greece: Journalism and Political Communication in Times of Crisis. 33-50.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2014. Ex-static but not Ecstatic: Digital Radio and the End of Interference. In: Oliveira, M., Stachyra, G. and Starkey, G., eds. Radio: The Resilient Medium. Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies, 95-100.
- Karathanasopoulou, E. and Crisell, A., 2013. Radio Documentary and the Formation of Urban Aesthetics. In: Bijsterveld, K., ed. Soundscapes of the Urban Past: Staged Sound as Mediated Cultural Heritage. Transcript, 169-178.
- Lockwood, A., Mitchell, C. and Karathanasopoulou, E., 2012. Communicating Sustainability: Teaching Sustainable Media Practice. In: Allen Bartels, K. and Parker, K.A., eds. Teaching Sustainability / Teaching Sustainably. Stylus.
- Williams, H. and Karathanasopoulou, E., 2022. Podcasting to Smash the Patriarchy: The Heart as a case study of quiet activism. In: The Centre for Applied Social Sciences Public Lectures 23 February 2022 The Centre for Applied Social Sciences at the University of Sunderland. https://sure.sunderland.ac.uk/id/eprint/14654/.
- Karathanasopoulou, E. and Williams, H., 2021. Disembodiment and The Heart: Podcasting as a Safe Space for the Discussion of Intimate Embodied Experience. In: Oral History and the Media 9-10 July 2021 https://www.ohs.org.uk/. https://www.ohs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/OHS_conf2021_programme_final.pdf.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2019. Never Static. In: Radio Studies, Practices and Futures – Guy Starkey memorial symposium 18 February 2019 University of Sunderland.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2018. Atmos[ph]ree: Using ‘The Revenge’ radio play in interdisciplinary teaching as a means to understand the tensions between materiality and immateriality in building physical and imagined spaces. In: The Radio Conference 2018 - A Transnational Forum 10-13 July 2018 Prato, Italy..
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2016. Letters to America. In: The Radio Conference 2016: Transnational Radio Encounters 5-8 July 2016 Utrecht University - Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2014. Ex-static but not Ecstatic: Digital Radio and the End of Interference. In: Starkey, G., Oliveira, M. and Stachyra, G., eds. ECREA Radio Research Section: Radio the Resilient Medium 11-13 September 2013 London. Radio: The Resilient Medium Sunderland: Centre for Research in Media and Cultural Studies.
- Mitchell, C. and Karathanasopoulou, E., 2011. Communicating Sustainability. In: Parker, K. and Barrels, K., eds. MeCCSA 10-12 January 2011 Salford. Teaching Sustainable Media Practice.
- Walden, V.G., Karathanasopoulou, E. et al., 2023. Recommendations for Digitally Recording, Recirculating, and Remixing Holocaust Testimony. The Digital Holocaust Memory Project Sussex Weidenfeld Institute of Jewish Studies. Available from: https://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/digitalholocaustmemory/files/2023/01/Testimony-Guidelines.pdf.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2015. An Examination of the Concept of Intimacy in Radio Studies, Combining Mainstream and Non-Mainstream Theories and Practices. PhD Thesis. University of Sunderland - Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free. Audio Installation. 3rd Artecitya Art Science Technology Festival - THE NEW NEW, realised by TIF - HELEXPO. 83rd Thessaloniki International Fair’s Pavilion 2 - Thessaloniki, Greece. 8-16 September 2018.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free 2. Audio Installation. FREIRAUM in Berlin, On the State of Freedom in Europe: Exhibition, discussion, concert, performance in Berlin. ZK/U — Zentrum für Kunst und Urbanistik /Center for Art and UrbanisticsSiemensstraße 27, 10551 Berlin. 12-17 March 2019.
- Karathanasopoulou, E.. Air Free 2 - In Thessaloniki. Audio Installation. Freiraum Exhibition: From Berlin to Thessaloniki. LABattoir -35, 26th October Street, Thessaloniki, Greece. 17-24 May 2019.
- Charity Impact Case Study: Visiting Mum, 2020. Video. Bournemouth, United Kingdom: Bournemouth University. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV-SaxgVDa4&list=PLCAGWsnZKYKWdbN7cHokrIf0mBdvLbtQ8&index=1.
- Charity Impact Case Study: Living Positive, 2020. Video. Bournemouth, United Kingdom: Bournemouth University. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9QA1mmxXOk&list=PLCAGWsnZKYKWdbN7cHokrIf0mBdvLbtQ8&index=2.
- Karathanasopoulou, E., 2019. Air Free 2 - Listen to the audio and read the poems from the artwork.. Berlin - Germany & Thessaloniki- Greece.
- Koliadimas, D., Karathanasopoulou, E. et al., 2019. How to you do: 100 constructive Provocations -Final publication of Artecitya by Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki, in collaboration with ArtBOX supported by Creative Europe.. International.
Profile of Teaching PG
- MA Radio - Final Project Supervision (2020-21)
Profile of Teaching UG
- AUDIO PRODUCTION - Level 4. I have been teaching this unit since 2013-14 and have led this unit since 2014-15. Here we give students a comprehensive introduction to audio media both in theory and pratice. Students are trained in both portable and studio recording. In 2017 I introduced binaural audio into the curriculum in response to the growing interest in VR/360 media and their diverse functions. This has proven successful and we have started to see students who continue using this technology in order to create outstanding graduate work as they move through the BA Media Production course. a
- IDEAS, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT - Level 6. This unit prepares the students in the BA Media Production course for their Graduate Projects. We work on their ideas and help them create media solutions for a defined client and a defined audience.
- FACTUAL PRODUCTION - Level 5. Here students work in groups in order to create Interactive Documentaries. Bringing together their knowledge of different media. This unit truly prepares students form cross-media work.
- MEDIATED SOUND AND ITS MEANINGS - Level 5. I have been teaching this unit since 2015. I have written and deliver this theory option to students from across the Media Production department (BA Media Production, TV, Film & Scriptwriting). The content is based on my doctoral work (published online in 2015) looking at Radio as an Intimate medium and at the intimate functions of sound in visual media such as film.
- GRADUATE PRODUCTION PROJECT - Level 6. This is the biggest unit in the BA Media Production course, worth 40 credits. I have taught in this unit since 2015-16 and have led this unit since 2016-17. I also supervise a number of student projects in the unit each year and look after a dozen other supervisors who work in the unit. The students produce incredibly diverse media work here and are given creative freedom to use one or more media in order to tackle genres and themes of their choosing. I recently worked with our marketing team in creating a showcase of this work, some of which has received international and national acclaim and exposure. Visit here to see some of this amazing student work: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-media-production/ba-hons-media-production-final-year-graduate-projects
- CLIENT & AUDIENCE: Level 5. This unit focuses on understanding the client relationship, responding to a brief, pitching ideas, managing client expectations, and producing a solution to a specific communications challenge.
Stories with Sound and Radio Documentary, Project Labattoir, Thessaloniki- Greece, 01 Jun 2018 more
Multiday Workahop - The Art of Hearing: Karathanasopoulou’s residency was established in partnership with LABattoir and Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki’s program Freiraum. It was launched through a workshop aiming to introduce participants to the ‘Art of Hearing’ and the concept of sound landscapes. Participants familiarized themselves with the basic ideas surrounding audio-based mass communication media and telling true stories with sound, learned how to record with portable devices and how to look for and create original documentary content. Throughout the Summer, Karathanasopoulou worked with old and new members of the Media Lab to help them in their aim to create a podcast series that will eventually be launched through the LABattoir project platform. Apart from training the participants, their recordings became part of Evi’s own artworks - Air Free / Air Free 2- for the Freiraum project. The group collected local voices, telling their own stories on the subject of ‘freedom in Europe today’. Please visit this page for details and pictures from the workshop: http://www.artecitya.gr/evi-karathanasopoulou.html
Sound and the City, Venice, Verona, Vicenza - Italy, 24 Apr 2017 more
“Two Cities: Patras – Venice’ Workshop for the First Year cohort of the Department of Architecture of the University of Patras, Greece.
- University of Sunderland, External Examiner (2021-2025)
- Member, Mock REF Review Panel for UoA34
- Co-Chair, Delivery & Strategies Steering Group, Media Production Department
- Study Abroad Academic Coordinator, 2014-2018 & 2019-2021, Media Production Department
- Academic Liaison for Bournemouth University, in our Partnership with Bournemouth International College (2019-2021)
- Global Engagement Lead (2019-2021), Media Production Department
- Programme Leader, BA (Hons) Media Production (2018-2019)
- Member of the, Quality Assurance and Enhancement Group, 2017- current
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Prix Europa 2019 (06 Oct 2019-12 Oct 2019)
- Freiraum - Workshop in Carlisle, UK with community development organisation AWAZ (26 Apr 2018-29 Apr 2018)
- Soundscapes of the Urban Past: Staged Sound as Mediated Cultural Heritage Workshop at Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands, Radio Documentary and the Formation of Urban Aesthetics - Co-Authored with Professor Andrew Crisell, 30 Mar 2012, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- Digital Recording, Recirculating and Remixing Testimony - Co-Designing Standards for Digital Interventions in Holocaust Memory and Research, Participatory Workshops. University of Sussex
- Supervisory Development Training for New Supervisors, Bournemouth University, 11 Nov 2021, Certificate
- Risk Management of Productions - Health & Safety training, 03 Nov 2021, Certificate
- Managing COVID-19 Risks on Production delivered by First Option Safety Consultants, 05 Nov 2020, Certificate
- BAFTA albert Consortium: Carbon Literacy Standard, 14 Feb 2017, Certificate
- Community Radio Programming and Management. META Europe Community Media Training. Funded by Grundtvig European Funding, University of Sunderland, UK., 23 Jan 2006
- PGCE in Education (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- PhD in Radio (University of Sunderland, 2015)
- MA in Radio (Goldsmiths College, University of London, 2007)
- BA (Hons) in Media Production (Television and Radio) (University of Sunderland, 2006)
- Music Diploma in Classical Harmony (Music Conservatory Phillipos Nakas – Athens, Greece, 2003)
- Experimental Media Research Centre (EMERGE) - Bournemouth University, Member (2020-), https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/emerge
- The Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2016-),
- MeCCSA Radio Studies Network Advisory and Action Panel https://radiostudiesnetworkreadinggroup.wordpress.com/meet-theteam/
- Radio Documentary and the Formation of Urban Aesthetics, https://www.transcript-verlag.de/chunk_detail_seite.php?doi=10.14361/transcript.9783839421796.169
- New Article in the Radio Journal: Atmosphere in Radio & Architecture, https://doi.org/10.1386/rjao.17.1.113_1
- FREIRAUM in Berlin, On the State of Freedom in Europe: Exhibition, https://www.goethe.de/prj/fre/en/index.html
- BU News Article on Artecitya Co-Creation Work, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2018-10-25/bu-students-staff-present-work-art-science-festival-greece
- Blog post on my Fused Co-Creation work, http://blogs.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/?p=73139
- Artecitya Residency: organised by Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki in the context of the programme Artecitya, supported by the Creative Europe programme of the European Union., http://www.artbox.gr/AST-2018.html
External Media and Press
- Summer Concerts: Alkinoos Ioannidis, Our Space and Time, Documento - Greek Newspaper (national coverage), 05 Aug 2022. https://www.documentonews.gr/article/summer-concerts-sti-synaylia-toy-alkinooy-ioannidi-tote-22-xronia-prin-kai-simera/?fbclid=IwAR2mITZXYSyLE2TS8JjfI0kUwSRER0NUk2sdDMZ-Q4thve_X1qXucLZDfpc
- Teaching Media and Flexibility during Lockdown, Documento Newspaper (National Greek Publication), 06 Sep 2020. https://www.documentonews.gr/article/didaskontas-mme-kai-eyelixia-sthn-karantina?fbclid=IwAR1dpNn2ih7hJklOb_R708l0b9FoESjZcJ7_Q5LHc7PVJKCgdICmv7eDm3E
- Web Coverage of Freiraum Exhibition at LABattoir in Thessaloniki -Greece in May 2019, culturenow.gr, 16 May 2019. https://www.culturenow.gr/sti-thessaloniki-ekthesi-sta-palia-sfageia/
- Der Tagesspiegel Coverage (in German) of the Freiraum Exhibition in Berlin Gernamy, Der Tagesspiegel - Major National German Newspaper, 11 Mar 2019. https://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/projekt-freiraum-des-goethe-instituts-wie-ist-es-um-die-freiheit-in-europa-bestellt/24084162.html
- Coverage of the Freiraum Project on National Greek Television for the Programme "Citizens of Europe", ERT 1 - National Greek TV Channel, 30 Dec 2018. https://webtv.ert.gr/ert1/polites-tis-eyropis/30dek2018-polites-tis-eyropis/
- GLGN of the Gernan Embassy covers the Freiraum Project and my Outreach in Carlisle, GLGN, 30 Aug 2018. http://www.glgn.org.uk/events/workshop-freiraum-presents-speakeasy-carlisle-thessaloniki/
- Holidays in an English Vacation Spot: Nick Cave, the British Beach and Jaguars in Bournemouth, Documento - Greek National Newspaper, 18 Mar 2018. https://www.documentonews.gr/article/ta-zompi-peinane-akomh-sto-docville-thn-kyriakh-me-to-documento