Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Panos Amelidis is a music technologist, sound practitioner, and researcher. He studied music and music informatics at the Ionian University of Corfu, Greece. He completed a master in electroacoustic music and interactive audio at the University of Manchester and a Ph.D. in Music, Technology and Innovation at De Montfort University. His work and research focus on the role of recorded speech in the way we create new artistic works and narratives. Special importance is placed on the synergy of soundscape recordings, verbal narration, technology and the opportunities provided by the electroacoustic studio.
He has contributed a co-authored chapter in the book "Expanding the Horizons of Electroacoustic Music Analysis' (Cambridge, 2016). His research has been published in the Organised Sound International Journal of Music and Technology (2016). His work has been presented worldwide in radio stations, conferences and festivals.
He joined Bournemouth University in January 2016, where he is a Lecturer in Music & Audio Technology.
Research interests/expertise include topics such as:
Composition focusing on recorded urban sound sources and DSP. Construction of storytelling in music. Acoustic ecology. The use of archival audio recordings in the creation of artworks. Oral history. Interactive installations. Analytical approaches to audio and video games. Pedagogy of music technology.
- Amelides, P., 2016. Acousmatic Storytelling. Organised Sound: an international journal of music and technology, 21 (3), 213-221.
- Amelidis, P. and Battey, B., 2016. Review of Cipriani Alessandro, and Giri Maurizio 'Electronic Music and Sound Design: Theory and Practice with Max/MSP'. Organised Sound: an international journal of music and technology.
- Hugill, A. and Amelides, P., 2016. Audio only computer games – Papa Sangre. In: Emmerson, S. and Landy, L., eds. Expanding the horizon of electroacoustic music analysis. Cambridge University Press.
- Amelides, P., 2016. Music composition and Greek political memory. In: Identities and Historical Memories in Greek Music Creativity 10-12 June 2013 Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Amelides, P., 2014. Universalising the acousmatics: storytelling and culture-specific works. In: Electroacoustic Music Studies Network Conference 10-14 June 2014 Berlin, Germany.
- Amelidis, P., 2012. The electroacoustic composer as historian. In: Sound, Sight, Space and Play 6-8 June 2012 Leicester.
- Amelidis, P., 2015. Acousmatic storytelling; A compositional approach. PhD Thesis. De Montfort University.
- Amelides, P.. Alexandros. CAMP Art Gallery, Athens, Greece. 23 September-6 October 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Stories of a tree. Kakogiannis Foundation, Athens, Greece. 7 November 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Stories of a tree. Selasia village, Southern Greece. 3 November 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Alexandros. Biennial for European Artists, Ancona, Italy. 6 June-31 July 2013.
- Amelidis, P.. Olympic Games. Belfast, Northern Ireland. 22 April 2015.
- Amelides, P.. Live-coding performance with SuperCollider software. Metanast Festival, Manchester, UK. 3 July 2014.
- Amelides, P.. Live-electronics performance with Max/MSP software. OUNDkitchen Festival, Birmingham, UK. 3 March 2011.
- Amelidis, P.. Forward, stop, rewind, stop. Rheinsberg, germany. 14 June 2017.
- Amelidis, P.. The Pain(t). Brussels. 21 June 2017.
- Troisi, A., Davis, T., Amelidis, P. and Seddon, A.. nonRecursive. Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe: The Engine Room, The Old Fire Station. 1 May 2018.
- Amelides, P.. Olympic Games. Belfast. 25 April 2015.
- Amelides, P.. Invited by Musique & Recherches organisation to curate a concert of electroacoustic works. Brussels. 23 February 2015.
- Amelides, P.. Forward, Stop, Rewind, Stop. Morelia, Mexico. 27 June 2014.
- Amelides, P.. Olympic Games. Leicester. 22 October 2014.
- Amelides, P.. The Golden Walnuts. Corfu, Greece. 15 June 2014.
- Amelides, P.. Alexandros: a sonic portrait. Radio. Halle, Germany. 28 June 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Agoras_1. Berling, Germany. 10 October 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Agoras_1. Leicester, UK.
- Amelides, P.. Forward, Stop, Rewind, Stop. Leicester ,UK.
- Amelides, P.. Ritual Attacks. Stockholm, Sweden. 25 July 2012.
- Amelides, P.. Ritual Attacks. Royal Academy of Music, London, UK. 18 June 2012.
- Amelides, P.. Ritual Attacks. International Computer Music Conference, Huddersfield, UK.
- Amelides, P.. Ritual Attacks. Pixilerations New Media Festival, Brown University, USA.
- Amelides, P.. Digital drones: live-coding with SuperCollider. Lewisham Arthouse, London, UK. 5 March 2016.
- Amelides, P.. Forward, Stop, Rewind, Stop. Medialab Prado, Madrid, Spain. 28 November 2015.
- Amelidis, P., 2015. Before Life, After Death. Published online.
- Amelides, P., 2014. The Pain(t). Published online.
- Amelidis, P., 2014. The Golden Walnuts. Published online.
- Amelidis, P., 2012. Alexandros. Unpublished.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Production Techniques 2, Creative Practices
- Fractured Narratives - Improvised sound and stories, Exploring the methexis: culture-specific storytelling and recorded sound, 25 Apr 2015, Belfast
- 2nd Electroacoustic Music Analysis Symposium, Analyzing Merzbow’s Meattrapezoid, 29 Feb 2012, Leicester
- 1st Electroacoustic Music Analysis Symposium, Real world reference and the analytical process, 05 Nov 2011, Leicester
- Sound, Sight, Space and Play, Narratological traces in Acousmatic Music, 08 Jun 2011, Leicester
- PhD in Music, Technology and Innovation (De Montfort University, 2015)
- MA in Electroacoustic composition & intreractive audio (The University of Manchester, 2010)
- BA (Hons) in Musicology and Music Informatics (The Ionian University, 2009)
- Audio Engineering Society, Member, http://www.aes.org/
- Hellenic Electroacoustic Music Composers Association, Senior Fellow (2011-),
- The Hellenic Society for Acoustic Ecology, Member (2012-),