Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a Lecturer in Bournemouth University's Creative Technology Department, a member of EMERGE Experimental Media Research Centre and Centre for Games & Music Technology Research here at Bournemouth University. I am music technologist, composer, sound practitioner, and researcher. I obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Music and Music Informatics from Ionian University in Greece, a MusM in Electroacoustic Composition & Interactive Media from The University of Manchester in the UK and a PhD in Music Technology from De Montfort University.
My work and research falls in the area of sensory ethnography with sound and the role of recorded speech, and soundscapes in the way new artistic musical works and narratives can be created. Also, to the role of artistic work in raising awareness about the importance of cultural heritage. Special importance is placed on the synergy of soundscape recordings, verbal narration, technology and the opportunities provided by the electroacoustic studio. I joined Bournemouth University in January 2016, where he is a Lecturer in Music & Audio Technology.
Research interests/expertise include topics such as:
Composition focusing on recorded urban sound sources and DSP. Construction of storytelling in music. Acoustic ecology. The use of archival audio recordings in the creation of artworks. Oral history. Interactive installations. Analytical approaches to audio and video games. Pedagogy of music technology.
- Pedersen, K., Hulusic, V., Amelidis, P. and Slattery, T., 2020. Spatialised Audio in a Custom-Built OpenGL-based Ear Training Virtual Environment. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications.
- Amelides, P., 2016. Acousmatic Storytelling. Organised Sound: an international journal of music and technology, 21 (3), 213-221.
- Amelidis, P. and Battey, B., 2016. Review of Cipriani Alessandro, and Giri Maurizio 'Electronic Music and Sound Design: Theory and Practice with Max/MSP'. Organised Sound: an international journal of music and technology.
- Hugill, A. and Amelides, P., 2016. Audio only computer games: Papa Sangre. In: Emmerson, S. and Landy, L., eds. Expanding the horizon of electroacoustic music analysis. Cambridge University Press.
- Kostoulas, T., Muszynski, M., Chaspari, T. and Amelidis, P., 2020. Multimodal Affect and Aesthetic Experience. 888-889.
- Brett, J., Gladwell, T., Xu, N., Amelidis, P., Davis, T. and Gatzidis, C., 2020. Developing Games for the Purposes of Rote Learning for Keyboard and Piano. 724-727.
- Fletcher, C., Hulusic, V. and Amelidis, P., 2019. Virtual reality ear training system: A study on spatialised audio in interval recognition. 1DUUMY.
- Amelidis, P., 2014. Universalising the acousmatics: storytelling and culture-specific works. In: Electroacoustic Music Studies Conference 10-14 June 2014 Berlin.
- Amelidis, P., 2012. The electroacoustic composer as historian. In: Sound, Sight, Space and Play 6-8 June 2012 Leicester.
- Amelidis, P., 2015. Acousmatic storytelling; A compositional approach. PhD Thesis. De Montfort University.
- Amelidis, P., 2018. The Sounding Temple. Sound Installation. Ancient Messina.
- Amelides, P.. Alexandros. CAMP Art Gallery, Athens, Greece. 23 September-6 October 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Stories of a tree. Kakogiannis Foundation, Athens, Greece. 7 November 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Stories of a tree. Selasia village, Southern Greece. 3 November 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Alexandros. Biennial for European Artists, Ancona, Italy. 6 June-31 July 2013.
- Troisi, A., Davis, T., Amelidis, P. and Seddon, A.. nonRecursive. Bournemouth Emerging Arts Fringe: The Engine Room, The Old Fire Station. 1 May 2018.
- Amelidis, P.. The Pain(t). Brussels. 21 June 2017.
- Amelidis, P.. Forward, stop, rewind, stop. Rheinsberg, germany. 14 June 2017.
- Amelides, P.. Digital drones: live-coding with SuperCollider. Lewisham Arthouse, London, UK. 5 March 2016.
- Amelides, P.. Forward, Stop, Rewind, Stop. Medialab Prado, Madrid, Spain. 28 November 2015.
- Amelides, P.. Olympic Games. Belfast. 25 April 2015.
- Amelidis, P.. Olympic Games. Belfast, Northern Ireland. 22 April 2015.
- Amelides, P.. Invited by Musique & Recherches organisation to curate a concert of electroacoustic works. Brussels. 23 February 2015.
- Amelides, P.. Olympic Games. Leicester. 22 October 2014.
- Amelides, P.. Live-coding performance with SuperCollider software. Metanast Festival, Manchester, UK. 3 July 2014.
- Amelides, P.. Forward, Stop, Rewind, Stop. Morelia, Mexico. 27 June 2014.
- Amelides, P.. The Golden Walnuts. Corfu, Greece. 15 June 2014.
- Amelides, P.. Agoras_1. Berling, Germany. 10 October 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Alexandros: a sonic portrait. Radio. Halle, Germany. 28 June 2013.
- Amelides, P.. Ritual Attacks. Stockholm, Sweden. 25 July 2012.
- Amelides, P.. Ritual Attacks. Royal Academy of Music, London, UK. 18 June 2012.
- Amelides, P.. Live-electronics performance with Max/MSP software. OUNDkitchen Festival, Birmingham, UK. 3 March 2011.
- Amelides, P.. Ritual Attacks. International Computer Music Conference, Huddersfield, UK.
- Amelides, P.. Ritual Attacks. Pixilerations New Media Festival, Brown University, USA.
- Amelides, P.. Agoras_1. Leicester, UK.
- Amelides, P.. Forward, Stop, Rewind, Stop. Leicester ,UK.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Production Techniques 2
- Software Programming for Digital Media
- Creative Practices
- Fractured Narratives - Improvised sound and stories, Exploring the methexis: culture-specific storytelling and recorded sound, 25 Apr 2015, Belfast
- 2nd Electroacoustic Music Analysis Symposium, Analyzing Merzbow’s Meattrapezoid, 29 Feb 2012, Leicester
- 1st Electroacoustic Music Analysis Symposium, Real world reference and the analytical process, 05 Nov 2011, Leicester
- Sound, Sight, Space and Play, Narratological traces in Acousmatic Music, 08 Jun 2011, Leicester
- PhD in Music, Technology and Innovation (De Montfort University, 2015)
- MA in Electroacoustic composition & intreractive audio (The University of Manchester, 2010)
- BA (Hons) in Musicology and Music Informatics (The Ionian University, 2009)
- The Hellenic Society for Acoustic Ecology, Member (2012-),
- Hellenic Electroacoustic Music Composers Association, Senior Fellow (2011-),
- Audio Engineering Society, Member, http://www.aes.org/